Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Native American $1 Coin & Currency Set (19NR) ($15.95, On sale now.)

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 12:52PM

My 2 shipped today.

As I recall from previous years, these were nice coins, so I might need to order another or two. Maybe I'll get the repeater 19591959.

BTW, with 50,000 sets how will they handle the serial numbers on the notes? I guess it will have to be with a different prefix or suffix letter once they hit 9,999.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe a different FRB

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

yep, saw two different banks so far on the notes, Atlanta and Chicago (F&G)

• Options
    edited July 26, 2019 1:47PM

Guess there will be 5 and maybe a few from a 6th or they will hold at 49,995

Maybe 5 ****0000 notes

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    My 2 shipped today.

As I recall from previous years, these were nice coins, so I might need to order another or two. Maybe I'll get the repeater 19591959.

BTW, with 50,000 sets how will they handle the serial numbers on the notes? I guess it will have to be with a different prefix or suffix letter once they hit 9,999.

From the product page:

The $1 Series 2017 note is from one of the 12 Federal Reserve Bank locations across the U.S. and features a serial number beginning with “1959” to correspond to the launch year of the Agena spacecraft depicted on reverse of the coin.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes sense, of course, (and what I alluded to with "prefix letter"). I wonder if all 12 will issue notes (I doubt it).

• Options

@JBK said:
    Makes sense, of course, (and what I alluded to with "prefix letter"). I wonder if all 12 will issue notes (I doubt it).

As you noted, the suffix could also change. If you include stars, there are 25 possible suffixes for each series issued from each FRB.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019 3:19PM

@coinpalice said:

@Kudbegud said:
    I've been looking for the first day sales for this in several blogs and publications. Coin World, Numismatic News, Mint News Blog, Coin Update News, Daily Coin News, No news yet. Please post this info if you see it before I do.

21,761 sets sold in the first day when orders were limited to two sets per household

Thanks @coinpalice. My guess was 18,000 to 24,000 so I was right in the middle. I saw the number just moments before coming here on http://www.coinnews.net .

On Tuesday we'll see how the HHL being removed effects the sales through Sunday.

edit to add - my 2 shipped

• Options

All three of my orders (even though they were separated by over 24 hours) have all shipped. Within a half hour... So much for having an early order... :D

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

First and second day orders shipped.

Third day was a mixed order still processing.

Like to mix it up for buying any BEP products with a SN.

Shipping is free. Expedited is free (cough, but have to spend a bit). ;)

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still batting 100% on Mint sell out predictions...All wrong... More than 100 remaining as of the 4th day B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

guessing less then 10.000 sets left

• Options
    edited July 28, 2019 6:44AM

Current info from our host on previous Coin and Currency Sacs, no entry for the 2019-P, yet.

2014 - each position has a #, 535820 and 535821

2015 - 546368

2016 - 608043
    Searching.... found on the pop report and CoinFacts, cannot find in the price report:

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    I'm still batting 100% on Mint sell out predictions...All wrong... More than 100 remaining as of the 4th day B)

Yeah, here too. I thought for sure this was going to be a fast mover. What's next on the hit list??? Paladium? Gold? The Paladium should be a sellout, not so sure on the Liberty gold....the design isn't very desirable.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything seems sluggish right now -- summer doldrums. Sales crawling. Except for what I seek.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I think we should find out who initiated the idea of edge lettering & edge mintmarks, who pushed it through, and who authorized it - and make it so embarrassingly uncomfortable for them that they reverse their stupid decision."

If only...............

• Options

I think I've seen you post before on this and I totally concur. Obviously, I have a thingy for Sacagawea, and the only improvement I see is moving the inscriptions OFF THE EDGE. Actually I don't fleeping care what's on the edge as long as the DD/MM is on the obv.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    guessing less then 10.000 sets left

I would have guessed a quick sell out, but I heard there's more than double that remaining...

• Options

Just got my order of C&C sets. They are a really nice presentation set -- too bad most will get tossed for the Sac coins, which are also nice strikes. Albeit too busy reverse, but a noteworthy commemorative.

However, I noticed several sets with the dollar note "slipping" down out of the note sleeve. I tried a (feeble) quick tap-tap to try to move it back into place, but the one I tried did not succeed. Will have to try a bit more aggressively later.

Mint sales today show 24,816 sets sold through 7/28. Wow - expected much higher...

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2019 8:38PM

All I can say is disappointed,,,,,,,,,, these had to be done in packaging as they are pinched and no amount of tapping will move them back into place,,,,, :( I had 5 more sets ship today so after I get them I will see if any are good and send the rest back,,,,, at least I got free shipping. :o

GrandAm :)
  • Options

Interesting @GRANDAM - yours appear to be shifting to the right. Mine are all shifting down. Many. I'll give them a real shakedown (pun) tomorrow and see if anything can be done. You may be right tho.

• Options

I tired for a few minutes and slammed them pretty hard. The left side where it was not pinched moved up and down a little but that was all.

• Options

apparently the u.s. mint has no quality control. there is no reason the sets should of been shipped out with that horrible packaging

• Options

Mine came today and both had the Dollar slip downward. Tried the tap and got no movement. If anybody has a method that works for these please post your technique. I have an idea that may work but won't try it to give a chance for the genius of the form to come up with something.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2019 11:23PM

Sales through 7/28

@coinpalice reported first day sales of 21,761 making 3,055 more through Sunday. Less than I expected. Just under half sold of the 50,000 maximum mintage. Hmmmm Rethinking the sell out date, if any.

• Options

apparently no bigger sellers like mcm are buying any of these, so mainly only collectors are buying these which might be a good thing, they will be spread out and not as many graded. sell out sell out in about 6 weeks at that pace unless a bigger seller buys a bunch

• Options

Can’t wait to get my mis-aligned currency! Hopefully today and their dry.

Spoke with CS yesterday about the return shipping label for the $50.

That department is swamped with returns and is taking a few days to generate labels.

I think I may have had a supervisor covering for a front line CS. She seemed very knowledgeable about the inner workings.

@coinpalice sounds good. I’d like to get mine graded before the big boys start the 70 flood.

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Well got my 2 sets in and both going back, (1) the end of the paper dollar is sticking out of the packaging and stuck in the glue that adheres the ends together. The other is mis-aligned and is unacceptable.

• Options

@WALLE said:
    Well got my 2 sets in and both going back, (1) the end of the paper dollar is sticking out of the packaging and stuck in the glue that adheres the ends together. The other is mis-aligned and is unacceptable.

Sorry to hear @WALLE seems the product development group has a failed product that cannot stand the basic rigors of transportation. Question is who was the contractor who won the bid to build these sets.

The next question is how many of these will make into and stay in collectors hands. Skewed sold count due to return/replacements?

• Options
    edited July 31, 2019 11:51AM

Well, I received the other 5 sets that I had ordered after the HH limit was lifted and guess what,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    all 5 of them are just as bad as the 2 sets I posted photos of. :s:s:s

I still think this was done in assemblying the sets,,,,,,,,,, been buying from the Mint for over 46 years and have never received anything that I had or wanted to return. :/:/:/:/:/

@GRANDAM said:
    All I can say is disappointed,,,,,,,,,, these had to be done in packaging as they are pinched and no amount of tapping will move them back into place,,,,, :( I had 5 more sets ship today so after I get them I will see if any are good and send the rest back,,,,, at least I got free shipping. :o

• Options

The mis-aligned FRN thing was a problem in 2015. Maybe it'll make the 2019 considerably less than the 50K mintage.

Hmmmm.... (That's the turning lemons into lemonade...)

Anyway, article from Coin World:

Packaging issues hurt notes in American $1 Coin and Currency set

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    The mis-aligned FRN thing was a problem in 2015. Maybe it'll make the 2019 considerably less than the 50K mintage.

Hmmmm.... (That's the turning lemons into lemonade...)

Anyway, article from Coin World:

Packaging issues hurt notes in American $1 Coin and Currency set

Great now I have to open the boxes to check the quality control of the product. You would think that would of been done before it left. Ohhh well hopefully I wont have any problems but sounds like its a real problem. :(

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my 2 sets today....ohhhh goody.... :#

• Options

Looks like QC was inconsistent. These sets are delivered to the Mint in boxes of 25. They each have 3 initials, and date (of packing presumed). One box of 25 was perfect. The next had issues with just about every set. I found that if they are off-center by < 3/8", they could be re-centered with corner taps. If > 3/8-1/2", they were unsalvageable. I tried to soften the glue with a hair dryer and was able to lift the cardboard enough to see what was happening and the FRN was very much glued in place. Trying to straighten caused it to ripple -- a no go! I'll be sending those back. Six out of the 25 in that box were unsalvageable.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

One would think the US Mint would have solved this problem after it first appeared in 2015. Wow.

----- kj
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

Great now I have to open the boxes to check the quality control of the product. You would think that would of been done before it left. Ohhh well hopefully I wont have any problems but sounds like its a real problem. :(

Same here, I haven't opened sets like this for a long time, it makes me wonder if the "Lowest Bidder" packaging by the Mint is being supervised at all. This year I have received the worst packaging I have ever seen, both the Proof sets, individual coin offerings and package mailing. I have had coins slip out of the mailing box, loose coins where the capsule came apart, let alone the horrible West Point Cent packaging. I have been wondering whatever happened to the shrink wrap that had been on so many sets in the past. Maybe next year will be better.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2019 5:58AM

Yes, you would think that QC would have noticed this at some point. I called the Mint right after opening the box of 5 and am waiting on a label to return all 7 sets. I ordered 5 more sets so we will see how they are. If these are bad I will just give up on them. I asked the Mint Rep and she said they have sold approx 25,000 so far so that is 1/2 the production so it won't be a problem getting replacements.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 6:05PM

Both of my sets going back, the bills are both shifted to the right. Both coins would be lucky to get a 68 grade. I haven't seen such poor minting practices since the 2007 Presidential Proof sets. Except for maybe the 2019- W Cents. If you get a 70 grade for one of the Sacs in this set don't let it go cheap, and don't let it go in for grading without checking them all, you will be sorry.
    I am glad I saw the post here, I usually don't open sets like these.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

If someone wants to experiment, take a hair dryer to the FRN, and see if the glue softens at high temps.

2015 was put on sale at the end of August, so it was shipped in the heat.
    2014 was put on sale end of November and 2016 was put on sale mid-June, so both 2014 and 2016 may not have had problems because they weren't sitting in hot trucks.

It's been hot this year. I wonder if the heat is causing this.

(And no, my sets haven't shown up yet... Grrr....)

• Options

Tried that (see above). Tho I didn't get it super hot, so if someone wants to test on a spare set...

Problem is, once the note gets glue on it, it will stick to everything even if soft. I think you might have to completely de-laminate the cardboard sandwich to totally liberate the note. Returning is far easier.

• Options

So far I have lucked out. Only had two that were jarred loose and a few taps put them back. Then proceeded to push down on the edges of the FRN holder and hopefully seal the edges.

More inbound, we shall see.

PL/ML was 50K if there are 20K returned then the in-the-wild total (if sell-out) would be 30K. Heck of a way to reduce #'s.

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Tried that (see above). Tho I didn't get it super hot, so if someone wants to test on a spare set...

Problem is, once the note gets glue on it, it will stick to everything even if soft. I think you might have to completely de-laminate the cardboard sandwich to totally liberate the note. Returning is far easier.

I'm just wondering if the base cause is the heat. Gets hot, melts the glue, allows the FRN to shift, game over... :(

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't going to open now I have to. Can't sell sealed sets when they might be defective. Something's telling me to quite messing with mint stuff.

• Options

The problem appears to be the plastic sleeve to hold the FRN is too small. Looking at the reverse of the note/sleeve you can see the groove and the perimeter is smaller than the perimeter of note.

I have not gotten to point of taking one apart, yet.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2019 4:44AM

Well I opened one of the two boxes and?

100% off center. Sending them back!

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

All those pre sellers on ebay will have a nightmare with these sets. I'm not shedding any tears though. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:
    All those pre sellers on ebay will have a nightmare with these sets. I'm not shedding any tears though. B)

Agree. The term “drop shippers” comes to mind, too, I think that’s what it’s called.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got mine

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

TBC - very. nice pictures there! I really don't care for the way to busy reverse, even if the subject is admirable.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Zero for two so far....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file