Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Altered Cards and a Concerned Hobbyist

Comments

• Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

People use PSA because they TRUST them. That's why GEM or GAI etc no longer are worth anything...no one trusts them. Thats why their slabbed cards have value...people believe in them. Its not right to just say "oh well, the scammers are better than psa, its not psa's fault". The reason for using PSA is the trust and belief they have sold us that THEY ARE better than the scammers and their authentication is correct and Trustworthy. Be careful assuming its just one bad actor - there are likely many others - I hope he is the worst, but he is just the one that made it easy to track down via ebay/pwcc id's.

If PSA can't reliably detect these alterations (and "conservation" IS still an alteration!), then their service becomes of little value besides the safety of encapsulation.

At this point its all about restoring confidence. It doesn't take many failures on a % basis to erode confidence....and at this point without further response and action from PSA, we are likely there....

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2019 7:27AM

@parkerj said:

At this point its all about restoring confidence. It doesn't take many failures on a % basis to erode confidence....and at this point without further response and action from PSA, we are likely there....

That may be the most important statement made in this thread so far.

The challenge is that in providing the details to make it easy for potentially affected cards to be easily identified by flip number that could further erode confidence depending on the scale of the potentially effected population.

It’s easy to say “do what is right” in a vacuum, but if doing so runs the risk of creating more harm than the intended good then is it truly “right”.

I think that is the way that this is being looked at, and I hope that whatever decision is made it balances the needs for the greater good against the needs for just the potentially affected individuals to be protected

Dave
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@graygator said:
    There seems to be a recurring theme that it is unfair or unrealistic to expect PSA to catch every alteration. But we didn't establish that standard, PSA did. PSA is the one who represents that it can do it. And it backs up that representation with a guarantee that if they miss and you buy an altered card in reliance on their opinion, they will pay you the difference in value between what you paid and what an altered card is really worthy. They make no allowance for value, or for a failure rate. They guarantee it, with their money, full stop.

Where does PSA say that it guarantees 100% accuracy? Nobody in their right mind can expect that even if they did say it somewhere. This is what their guarantee says about graded cards:

"PSA guarantees that all cards submitted to it shall be graded in accordance with PSA grading standards and under the procedures of PSA."

https://psacard.com/about/financialguarantee/

This doesn't say they don't make mistakes. In fact they acknowledge that mistakes can be made otherwise they wouldn't need this part:

"If PSA, in fact, concludes that the card in question no longer merits the PSA grade assigned or fails PSA’s authenticity standards, PSA will either:

Buy the card from the submitter at the current market value if the card can no longer receive a numerical grade under PSA's standards or,

Refund the difference in value between the original PSA grade and the current PSA grade if the grade is lowered. In this case, the card will also be returned to the customer along with the refund for the difference in value."

How they pay you for their mistakes may be up for debate and may have room for improvement, but they never said they are 100% accurate.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2019 7:58AM

I don’t think we are really disagreeing here. “In accordance with PSA grading standards” includes not slabbing altered cards. That’s one of their standards, right? And it applies to “all cards.” If they do not grade in accordance with that standard, then they guarantee they will pay up.

• Options

@70ToppsFanatic said:

@parkerj said:

That may be the most important statement made in this thread so far.

The challenge is that in providing the details to make it easy for potentially affected cards to be easily identified by flip number that could further erode confidence depending on the scale of the potentially effected population.

It’s easy to say “do what is right” in a vacuum, but if doing so runs the risk of creating more harm than the intended good then is it truly “right”.

I think that is the way that this is being looked at, and I hope that whatever decision is made it balances the needs for the greater good against the needs for just the potentially affected individuals to be protected

Yeah I’m just not ever going to be comfortable with the “if it’s too bad it’s better to ignore it” approach.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@CrissCriss said:
    How could you even possibly begin to know to what degree PSA has “failed”? You are acting as if what has transpired is the entire universe of cards, when in reality it seems to be a tiny fraction of the number of graded cards in existence.

Similarly, the message board frenzy only represents a small fraction of collectors and buyers of these cards, so to ascribe some widespread conclusions on the overall effects on the market is nonsensical.

PSA doesn’t have to offer a forum like this. I wouldn’t be surprised if they shut it down and wouldn’t blame them if they did.

Don’t know the degree, admitted as much up front, and hope for full disclosure to be able to judge it. As another poster said, a small percentage can drive a loss of confidence, especially when percentage includes many high profile and expensive cards.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Objectivist author Leonard Peikoff said it best:

• Options

@CrissCriss said:
    Prediction: several weeks from now, the money will be flowing at the National more than it ever has, the lines at PSA will be longer than ever, & if you ask 10 people in those lines about all of this, 8 or 9 won’t have a clue what you are talking about.

Probably right. Perhaps the more interesting thing will be how many of those 8 or 9 will have a clue when the National is over.

• Options

@graygator said:
    I don’t think we are really disagreeing here. “In accordance with PSA grading standards” includes not slabbing altered cards. That’s one of their standards, right? And it applies to “all cards.” If they do not grade in accordance with that standard, then they guarantee they will pay up.

That's not one of their standards, that is the intent and goal of all of their standards taken together. It's the whole process that determines if they can meet that goal and how well they meet it. They wouldn't write those actual words anywhere because everyone knows that is an impossible goal.

Just an example:

One of there procedures is to measure a card. There is a known acceptable size that a card should be plus or minus a very small amount for production issues. Maybe this varies a little by year or manufacturer. I think most of us have experienced the min size issue or know someone who has. So we know they are measuring the cards.

Now lets say someone finds a slightly oversized card due to manufacturing, a miscut, whatever. The card has some edge and corner wear. They trim the card eliminating the edge and corner wear, and also bring the card into the acceptable size range (because it started a little large). Now PSA measures the card and it is in the acceptable size range. They can't detect an alteration here and that's exactly what the trimmer wants. The grader can follow the PSA procedure of measuring the card, but a trimmed card is going to get by in this situation. PSA has met their obligation as laid out in their guarantee. Nowhere does it state an altered card won't end up in a holder. Again, that's why the second part of the guarantee is a resolution to the customer if the first part fails.

So there is no 100% guarantee that altered cards don't end up in a holder even if PSA is sticking to their procedures and their guarantee.

Kris

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@krisd3279 said:

@graygator said:

That's not one of their standards, that is the intent and goal of all of their standards taken together. It's the whole process that determines if they can meet that goal and how well they meet it. They wouldn't write those actual words anywhere because everyone knows that is an impossible goal.

Just an example:

One of there procedures is to measure a card. There is a known acceptable size that a card should be plus or minus a very small amount for production issues. Maybe this varies a little by year or manufacturer. I think most of us have experienced the min size issue or know someone who has. So we know they are measuring the cards.

Now lets say someone finds a slightly oversized card due to manufacturing, a miscut, whatever. The card has some edge and corner wear. They trim the card eliminating the edge and corner wear, and also bring the card into the acceptable size range (because it started a little large). Now PSA measures the card and it is in the acceptable size range. They can't detect an alteration here and that's exactly what the trimmer wants. The grader can follow the PSA procedure of measuring the card, but a trimmed card is going to get by in this situation. PSA has met their obligation as laid out in their guarantee. Nowhere does it state an altered card won't end up in a holder. Again, that's why the second part of the guarantee is a resolution to the customer if the first part fails.

So there is no 100% guarantee that altered cards don't end up in a holder even if PSA is sticking to their procedures and their guarantee.

Maybe I am way off base, but it is my understanding that measuring a card is only a small part of determining if a card is trimmed.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2019 10:38AM

On the grading page, under the big heading “Grading Standards” and the tab “Ungradable Cards” it says “PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity.” Sure seems like a grading standard to me and one they explicitly wrote. And if they miss, they promise to pay.

• Options

@krisd3279 said:

@graygator said:

Just an example:

I think you are missing the point.

There are ways to determine if a card has been trimmed that don't involve measuring the card.

Further, most people are arguing that its not simply that a TPG has graded an altered card; its the sheer number that appear to have "slipped through" coupled with the fact many/most appear to have come from one or two submitters. As the OP stated, what is a TPG's service worth if they can't reliably detect altered cards? And if that many slip through from one guy, it raises all sorts of theories and questions. Now it looks like he has been doing this since the mid 2000's(based upon posts on BO), calling into question the old slab's as well.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

@graygator said:
    On the grading page, under the tab “Ungradable Cards” it says “PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity.” Sure seems like a grading standard to me and one they explicitly wrote. And if they miss, they promise to pay. I guess you will say “bear evidence” is their wiggle room?

Exactly. If the trimming left no evidence then the card will get graded. Unless there is some method of detecting trimming when there is no evidence of trimming (if by magic or something).

@detroitfan2 is correct that there are a lot of different methods for determining if a card is trimmed besides measuring. My point is no matter how many methods you come up with to detect it the scammers will come up with more. It is a constant game of escalation.

It is unrealistic to expect 100% detection of alteration in grading by any TPG. PSA hasn't explicitly stated that in their guarantee.

Kris

• Options
    edited June 6, 2019 10:48AM

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@krisd3279 said:

@graygator said:

Just an example:

I think you are missing the point.

There are ways to determine if a card has been trimmed that don't involve measuring the card.

Further, most people are arguing that its not simply that a TPG has graded an altered card; its the sheer number that appear to have "slipped through" coupled with the fact many/most appear to have come from one or two submitters. As the OP stated, what is a TPG's service worth if they can't reliably detect altered cards? And if that many slip through from one guy, it raises all sorts of theories and questions. Now it looks like he has been doing this since the mid 2000's(based upon posts on BO), calling into question the old slab's as well.

I agree with everything you say here (except that I'm missing the point, I stated my point). Maybe they should post the number of cards rejected due to alteration. I haven't seen that number anywhere. Without those numbers we can't say if the ones that "slipped through" are a large percentage or not.

I was only responding to someone saying that catching every altered card in their grading process was somehow explicitly stated or implied in their guarantee. it isn't.

Kris

• Options

Yeah, I think it’s implicit in both that statement and in their entire business model that trimmed and altered cards will bear evidence of the work that PSA can detect, but we’ve probably traveled far enough down that particular rabbit hole.

• Options

Don't get me wrong. I wish that someone could detect every altered card 100% of the time. That would be great! I would like to see some numbers that show the actual percentage they are able to detect, the number rejected or not given a number grade, compare that to the number submitted, and then we have at least a partial picture of the effectiveness. Based on the work done by the guys on the other forums we have at least a partial picture of the number of cards that have slipped by. I expect that number to continue increasing as more evidence is uncovered.

Kris

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

@mexpo75 said:
    I really do not think PSA has in cahoots with this whole thing. I do hope there is some way to find out which cards are in question. If this is done I know PSA will do the right thing.

This

You are really adding alot to this conversation, one word at a time.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2019 12:12PM

"I was only responding to someone saying that catching every altered card in their grading process was somehow explicitly stated or implied in their guarantee. it isn't."

Actually, isn't it implied? They've guaranteed that if a card is altered, they will make it right. It doesn't have conditions like "pictures aren't evidence".

"I sure hope we get a list soon."

There is a list already, what we need at a minimum is for PSA to confirm at least some portion. Ideally, though, I agree with others they should release a list of flip numbers so people can truly start the process. More on the timing of that below.

"has anyone seen one of these altered cards in hand? My point is everyone wants to say these alterations should be caught by TPG's but does anyone really know how good they are. It's easy when you can go back and look at before and after pics. I just don't know that it's that easy otherwise."

I half agree with this. In many instances, I do think it might not be obvious. The pictures absolutely help for seeing "brightness", and often stain removal. There are some where recoloring has occurred, that's one that really does baffle me how it didn't get identified. Regardless, there are many obvious instances of trimming where I don't believe anything other than a rule was needed. The Look 'N Sees and the Berk Ross are the two that jump out the most to me on that. Is there something specific to those sets that has them frequently 1/8-1/4" different in size? I don't know those sets, but it seems pretty tough for me to believe they vary that much. If they can catch that many 1993 Jeter SPs being short, surely they could have done that with these?

"The challenge is that in providing the details to make it easy for potentially affected cards to be easily identified by flip number that could further erode confidence depending on the scale of the potentially effected population. It’s easy to say “do what is right” in a vacuum, but if doing so runs the risk of creating more harm than the intended good then is it truly “right”."

I would suggest that this may is exactly what some of the involved parties are hoping for - i.e. if it's really that bad, I'd just rather not know, or at least I don't want to know everything. As collectors that make up this hobby, if we allow this to pass without at a minimum the _comprehensive _list of the cards and flips associated with either Moser or PWCC submissions, then absolutely none of us should ever again feel entitled to any protection within the hobby.

These issues have had rumblings in the past for sure, but it really took off with the Mantle 4.5. That thread was started on April 30th - 5 WEEKS AGO.

Since then we've had statements from people trying to redefine what restored/altered is defined as, "pictures are not evidence" and "think critically" videos, and statements that effectively only acknowledge that "investigations are ongoing". And yet, week by week, the "internet sleuths" find yet ANOTHER set of cards to investigate, and they don't even have access to all the data. It's honestly quite impressive what they've been able to do.

I'll leave this with a question - how long is long enough before some sort of substantive, detailed response? Again, we're a month since it broke and 2-3 weeks since the first set of flip numbers were identified.

• Options

@bounce said:
    "I was only responding to someone saying that catching every altered card in their grading process was somehow explicitly stated or implied in their guarantee. it isn't."

Actually, isn't it implied? They've guaranteed that if a card is altered, they will make it right. It doesn't have conditions like "pictures aren't evidence".

"I sure hope we get a list soon."

There is a list already, what we need at a minimum is for PSA to confirm at least some portion. Ideally, though, I agree with others they should release a list of flip numbers so people can truly start the process. More on the timing of that below.

"has anyone seen one of these altered cards in hand? My point is everyone wants to say these alterations should be caught by TPG's but does anyone really know how good they are. It's easy when you can go back and look at before and after pics. I just don't know that it's that easy otherwise."

I half agree with this. In many instances, I do think it might not be obvious. The pictures absolutely help for seeing "brightness", and often stain removal. There are some where recoloring has occurred, that's one that really does baffle me how it didn't get identified. Regardless, there are many obvious instances of trimming where I don't believe anything other than a rule was needed. The Look 'N Sees and the Berk Ross are the two that jump out the most to me on that. Is there something specific to those sets that has them frequently 1/8-1/4" different in size? I don't know those sets, but it seems pretty tough for me to believe they vary that much. If they can catch that many 1993 Jeter SPs being short, surely they could have done that with these?

"The challenge is that in providing the details to make it easy for potentially affected cards to be easily identified by flip number that could further erode confidence depending on the scale of the potentially effected population. It’s easy to say “do what is right” in a vacuum, but if doing so runs the risk of creating more harm than the intended good then is it truly “right”."

I would suggest that this may is exactly what some of the involved parties are hoping for - i.e. if it's really that bad, I'd just rather not know, or at least I don't want to know everything. As collectors that make up this hobby, if we allow this to pass without at a minimum the _comprehensive _list of the cards and flips associated with either Moser or PWCC submissions, then absolutely none of us should ever again feel entitled to any protection within the hobby.

These issues have had rumblings in the past for sure, but it really took off with the Mantle 4.5. That thread was started on April 30th - 5 WEEKS AGO.

Since then we've had statements from people trying to redefine what restored/altered is defined as, "pictures are not evidence" and "think critically" videos, and statements that effectively only acknowledge that "investigations are ongoing". And yet, week by week, the "internet sleuths" find yet ANOTHER set of cards to investigate, and they don't even have access to all the data. It's honestly quite impressive what they've been able to do.

I'll leave this with a question - how long is long enough before some sort of substantive, detailed response? Again, we're a month since it broker and 2-3 weeks since the first set of flip numbers were identified.

I would say the clock realistically started here:

That’s 48 hours ago, basically.

One would think a forward thinking company wants this wrapped up so as to not have it hanging over them (among any percentage of customers) at the largest annual card show.

That timeline may not be realistic. But I, for one, wouldn’t want this to still be a hot topic rolling into that week.

That’s just me.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

@graygator said:
    On the grading page, under the big heading “Grading Standards” and the tab “Ungradable Cards” it says “PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity.” Sure seems like a grading standard to me and one they explicitly wrote. And if they miss, they promise to pay.

The important key words there are “bear evidence.” For trimming if somebody is cutting up sheets and cards with razor blades and scissors then the characteristics of the surface of the cut edge on those cards will bear obvious signs of not being consistent with what an original factory cut will look like for that issue. Big or small the signs of trimming will be obvious and card will be rejected. Man and machine cut all these cards from sheets, so if a skilled card doctor can replicate the characteristic look of the cut expected for that issue then the card can get though because there's no issue with the look of the cut.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am only going to say this, which is basically exactly what I have said before...

No one wants statements to be made in the name of promptness that may have to be retracted and/or changed at a later time if new information comes to light. That would just lead to contradiction and confusion for everyone. Please understand that work continues to be done behind the scenes.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    Prediction: several weeks from now, the money will be flowing at the National more than it ever has, the lines at PSA will be longer than ever, & if you ask 10 people in those lines about all of this, 8 or 9 won’t have a clue what you are talking about.

If you stick your head in the sand for too long, you might suffocate. Come up for air.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@KbKards said:

@graygator said:

The important key words there are “bear evidence.” For trimming if somebody is cutting up sheets and cards with razor blades and scissors then the characteristics of the surface of the cut edge on those cards will bear obvious signs of not being consistent with what an original factory cut will look like for that issue. Big or small the signs of trimming will be obvious and card will be rejected. Man and machine cut all these cards from sheets, so if a skilled card doctor can replicate the characteristic look of the cut expected for that issue then the card can get though because there's no issue with the look of the cut.

There’s two questions here: First, can a doctor get a trimmed card through? The answer is obviously yes. I don’t disagree with you at all there. Second, does PSA’s grade guarantee cover a card that can be shown trimmed with before and after scans or other advanced technology, even if the card itself is expertly altered such that it bears no obvious evidence of the trimming when in hand? I hope the answer to that is also yes, and that’s how I read their guarantee. If the grade guarantee covers that card, then PSA is warranting that they can catch trimming and alterations and will pay if they don’t. I don’t mean anything more than that when I say they established the standard and should be held to it.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2019 12:49PM

My only contribution is about grading that we all agree - it's subjective.

Last year:

"same card" - year before:

Conclusion?

None.

It's subjective and "subject" to the grader that day.

Mike
  • Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Just an example:

I have submitted cards that havr come back min size, and re submitted them and have gotten
    grades on them. So if they do measure them and have a standard then they should always come back min size or with a grade (not necessarily the same because grading is subjective).

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

In before the lock!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    @Rttrffg2012 said:

They need a fine, someone should be fired, or a self imposed punishment-reduce fees/faster turn around times.

What has PSA lost by passing all these altered cards? What punishment has PSA had?

The desire to have "faster turn around times" may lead to them not measuring cards.

However, come on, did they know Moser has been a trimmer with their company for the past 15 years ? If they know someone is a repeat offender, then shouldn't they work harder on his orders, knowing his past history ?

Then again, there's also a part of me that says the educated consumer is not as educated as he or she should be. Look at scans more closely. Look for cards that are short in the holder.

There is a 1967 Topps Bobby Orr PSA 8 on EBAY right now that is so short it's embarrassing. Not sure how they miss these things.

Here's the Bobby Orr on ebay now.

Here's how a regular 1967 Topps issue should sit in the holder.

That's pretty bad. No excuse for that.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    In before the lock!

Way overdue IMO.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    I’m not submitting to PSA until I see they’ve actually lost anything in all the controversy.
    They are betting on the lambs to continue to walk to the slaughter.

They need a fine, someone should be fired, or a self imposed punishment-reduce fees/faster turn around times.

What has PSA lost by passing all these altered cards? What punishment has PSA had?

Unless you know something I don't?

PSA has graded cards as per their mission statement.

Nothing more, nothing less at this point.

No?

Mike
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bottom line for me is that I hope this works out in the consumers favor (meaning us). If PSA fails or loses big time on this then we all lose. I have invested thousands of dollars over years of collecting with the hopes of someday passing my collection on to my kids. It would be very disheartening to find out years from now that they are worthless due to company corruption or card alterations.

• Options

@pab1969 said:
    Bottom line for me is that I hope this works out in the consumers favor (meaning us). If PSA fails or loses big time on this then we all lose. I have invested thousands of dollars over years of collecting with the hopes of someday passing my collection on to my kids. It would be very disheartening to find out years from now that they are worthless due to company corruption or card alterations.

I can find for you a long line of collectors who thought, ‘Well, this is the market top’ or ‘it can’t go any higher’ or ‘I better get out now before it tanks’ and most, if given a do over, would have held on longer and cashed out later on...

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I actually agree with CrissCriss..think of how many people out there buy PSA cards on Ebay, but don't have time or the need to go to various collector forums...I would bet a heavy portion of the collector population have no idea about the current controversies -- right or wrong. I wouldn't have had any idea had I not read about it in the PSA forum. Cards are still going up...Kawhi SP Authentic rookie has gone from $40 to $110 since mid-May....I guess we shall see how it all plays out, but for now, hundreds of thousands of cards continue to change hands...hopefully that continues once the results of this controversy come to fruition.

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if PSA cards a digital record of every card (front and back) they grade? It would seem to me that if something like this existed, a lot of the trimming issues would/should have been caught by PSA. This would be extremely helpful in situations where serial-numbered modern cards as well as vintage cards with poor card stock get trimmed and regraded.

The existence of external historical platforms like Worthpoint is how this current problem was discovered. It's great that sites like that exist for collectors to do their homework but this is an issue that should have been discovered long before hundreds (and quite possibly thousands) of trimmed cards had been incorrectly regraded and are now in the marketplace.

Prior to working at PSA, Steve Sloan worked for Upper Deck Authenticated and they have a step in their authentication process of scanning every item after they authenticated it and uploading it online so he has experience in setting up something similar for PSA if it doesn't exist already.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2019 7:31PM

@1970s said:
    @Rttrffg2012 said:

The desire to have "faster turn around times" may lead to them not measuring cards.

However, come on, did they know Moser has been a trimmer with their company for the past 15 years ? If they know someone is a repeat offender, then shouldn't they work harder on his orders, knowing his past history ?

Then again, there's also a part of me that says the educated consumer is not as educated as he or she should be. Look at scans more closely. Look for cards that are short in the holder.

There is a 1967 Topps Bobby Orr PSA 8 on EBAY right now that is so short it's embarrassing. Not sure how they miss these things.

1000 to 1 the Orr would be 3.5 inches long if cracked out and measured. Any card that is standard size will leave significant room in the holder and that card is partially under the bottom ridge.

The Green is clearly oversized. No TPG would create a holder whose fit was that close to 3.5 X 2.5 given the size variations with vintage cards and some modern sets. That would be ridiculous. The Green barely fits.

There's no such thing as a "standard" size for vintage sets. They're all over the place.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@demondeacs said:

@1970s said:
    @Rttrffg2012 said:

1000 to 1 the Orr would be 3.5 inches long if cracked out and measured. Any card that is standard size will leave significant room in the holder and that card is partially under the bottom ridge.

The Green is clearly oversized. No TPG would create a holder whose fit was that close to 3.5 X 2.5 given the size variations with vintage cards and some modern sets. That would be ridiculous. The Green barely fits.

There's no such thing as a "standard" size for vintage sets. They're all over the place.

Pictures of cards really don't prove anything.

VERY few cards slip through.

Please take a deep breath and try to relax a little.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the reason people are upset with PSA is because PSA is a trusted company. People put their hard earned money into that trust. Then they discover that something they spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on is altered. Where does that leave them now? If I had spent thousands on their cards, I would be angry too. They are trusted. If they did it on purpose or not is irrelevent. There are a lot of people that are hurting right now because they trusted the PSA brand. Yeah, they have a right to be angry. They trusted their brand.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2019 4:18AM

@doubledragon said:
    I think the reason people are upset with PSA is because PSA is a trusted company. People put their hard earned money into that trust. Then they discover that something they spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on is altered. Where does that leave them now? If I had spent thousands on their cards, I would be angry too. They are trusted. If they did it on purpose or not is irrelevent. There are a lot of people that are hurting right now because they trusted the PSA brand. Yeah, they have a right to be angry. They trusted their brand.

But what exactly, other than apparently not being perfect, did PSA itself do that violated that trust?

And In the midst of a problem with some many aspects as this, i don’t see that taking sufficient time before publicly responding constitutes such a violation. Does anyone honestly believe that they just sat there doing nothing since they first became aware of the situation? Just because we can’t see behind the curtain does not mean that they aren’t aggressively working on this.

Would I like to have seen a quick/faster response by PSA? Absolutely. But realistically I would be lying to myself if I actually thought that it was actually achievable.

Just as in the past with similar incidents this is going to take some time to figure out. There are too many things that need to be understood.

We are all angered/concerned/etc. but prematurely condemning the stakeholder with the best knowledge, resources, ability and motivation to try to get things rectified seems unfair and counterproductive to me.

Dave
  • Options

@doubledragon said:

I still trust PSA.

Proof is in the middle of this, I sent them my white whale.

I’ve been following along closely (with less concern that others because I self submit my collection and measure/grade myself beforehand) and I have never seen anything that suggests PSA was complicit here. What most people seem upset about is that PSA is not perfect. If this is a revelation to some, here’s a little lesson.

Most ‘agencies’ are formed to create consumer confidence and to facilitate fair trade in response to a crisis in the market.

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and FDIC was formed in response to the Great Stock Market crash on 1929.

The Food and Drug Administration was formed after Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle and exposes the unsanitary conditions in meatpacking plants.

The New York Tenement Act improved housing in NYC slums and held the slumlords to account for improvements in living conditions. A national movement followed in the nations big cities.

Similarly, PSA was formed to have an agency to govern fair play in the card market.

None of these agencies can possibly combat all fraud but each plays a significant role in the market place in attempting to do so.

PSA curtails a significant amount of fraud. All agencies do. However, to expect a small handful of people to govern a marketplace and containing millions of products eliminate all nefarious actors is not realistic.

Madoff’s will still happen.

Bad meat will still make it to the market.

The NYCHA Crisis is on the near 130th anniversary of How the Other Half Lives publication.

That’s the reality of it. That’s always been the reality of it. Again, I hope it leads to reforms like other scandals have but at the end of the day, blaming PSA is a bit of a fools errand unless their is some overt act of complicity.

To this point, from what I have seen, there has been none.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2019 4:28AM

I’ll start off by saying I’m no expert, and I’m in no way comparing slabbed altered cards with murder, but... I just finished a podcast about the Tylenol murders back in 1982. Johnson and Johnson’s response and behavior in that very public forum was apparently so perfect that it is taught in classes as a case study in what to do from a PR perspective. They were initially hesitant to recall $100 million worth of Tylenol, but they did it. The CEO made the circuit on the news shows to talk about what J&J were doing to make sure that the situation would never occur again. Every button they pushed was apparently the right one.

Again, there’s no comparing the 2 situations from a damage or visibility perspective (no matter how big this scandal gets, it won’t come near the level of coverage of the Tylenol situation), but I hope that PSA is willing to “take a short term hit” for the longer term greater good if it turns out that there’s something they need to do. Is “recalling all of the Tylenol” equivalent to PSA recalling all cards in submissions with cards that have been found to show evidence of alteration, reviewing them free of charge, and buying the card/paying out the difference where they detect a mistake was made? Should CEOs and bosses get in front of forums, the National, etc. and go on a media blitz of sorts like J&J did (though on the smaller scale that card collectibles require)? Who knows, but I hope they show some humility to try to win back those who have lost some faith...

Jim

• Options
    edited June 7, 2019 4:31AM

@70ToppsFanatic

Unless customers complain loudly and with their pocketbooks, a public company in an unregulated industry is extremely unlikely to do anything. I think we can realistically only expect PSA to make improvements to catch what these guys are doing if not catching it hurts the bottom line more than the expense of developing methods to detect the alterations. PSA May start to feel that pressure through public complaint from its customers but will only really feel it when the bottom line moves.

If we want a better PSA we have to demand it loudly and clearly.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2019 4:46AM

@doubledragon said:

How is it irrelevant whether they colluded with fraudsters or not?? You couldn’t be more wrong.

Edit to add: I don’t believe they did.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

This discussion has been closed.