Options

Altered Cards and a Concerned Hobbyist

Comments

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@mccardguy1 said:

@AFLfan said:
    mccardguy1 and I have had a nice exchange via PMs. I'm looking forward to chatting with him more about his collection.. Thank you to 70ToppsFanatic and HighGradeLegends for their support. It is appreciated. I now consider this particular issue resolved.

I think we all want the same for this hobby we love!!

Step #1 would be banning Moser from ever submitting to PSA ever again, and all show
    promoters to ban him, and ebay ban him.

Step #2 would be anyone who is caught allowing Moser to submit through them will be banned
    as well.

We need a Judge Landis to step in at this point.

This is a great start but Moser is not the only problem. There are several big and small time guys making a healthy living off of the collector's need to have the absolute best of the best and are willing to pay for the privilege. The only way to clean up this hobby is to make it no longer profitable for these card altering criminals but that isnt going to happen because the collectors who have the money will pay for the best. It's a vicious cycle that I just do not see ending any time soon.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@mccardguy1 said:

@AFLfan said:
    mccardguy1 and I have had a nice exchange via PMs. I'm looking forward to chatting with him more about his collection.. Thank you to 70ToppsFanatic and HighGradeLegends for their support. It is appreciated. I now consider this particular issue resolved.

Step #1 would be banning Moser from ever submitting to PSA ever again, and all show

Step #2 would be anyone who is caught allowing Moser to submit through them will be banned
    as well.

Banning one guy (impossible anyway) does nothing.

We need a database of high quality scans, front and back, of the cards most likely to be altered.

IF Moser is guilty here he's only the tip of the iceberg.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS... Thank you. I'm trying, anyway. I've been a member of several different forums, so I've seen different ways things can be done. Some work better than others. I think that most important thing is that people are respectful in their postings. That doesn't mean that everyone has to agree with everything, it just means they need to disagree civilly.

And who knows, maybe I will be moderating this thing forever. I don't see myself going anywhere anytime soon, at least.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

@AFLfan said:

I’m certain you don’t care nor should you. But I do enjoy how you moderate these forums. Thanks. I only hope that a few years removed from now I can say the same to your successor.

+1

Todd has always been top notch.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@LOTSOS said:

@AFLfan said:

I’m certain you don’t care nor should you. But I do enjoy how you moderate these forums. Thanks. I only hope that a few years removed from now I can say the same to your successor.

+1

Todd has always been top notch.

I agree Tim.

Todd has gone way beyond the call of duty to magnanimously handle rhetoric the likes that I haven't seen here in many, many years.

He's emblematically representing the leadership that only wants the best for PSA collectors.

Mike
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2019 5:40AM

Hey Todd, keep up the good work sir!

I am 100% in the camp that PSA obviously has nothing to do with these con men trying to pass alter cards into holders. I mean dang this would be the #1 way to sink your company in the TPG industry.

I would love to see someone though make up some flyers to pass out at the nationals with the names, pics and a quick summary of the scams that the top 8 or so known players in this current round of "altercations". Just imagine how much fun it would be if say Gary Moser shows up to nationals and had multiple people walking up to him asking for him to autograph said flyer. >:)

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

@mccardguy1 said:

@1970s said:

@mccardguy1 said:

@AFLfan said:

as well.

This is a great start but Moser is not the only problem. There are several big and small time guys making a healthy living off of the collector's need to have the absolute best of the best and are willing to pay for the privilege. The only way to clean up this hobby is to make it no longer profitable for these card altering criminals but that isnt going to happen because the collectors who have the money will pay for the best. It's a vicious cycle that I just do not see ending any time soon.

Sadly, I agree with this.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

My suggestion is that the TPGs purchase a visual inspection machine (they have existed for at least 20 years). These can measure cards, I would assume either at a certain card value level or service level.

These machines are EXTREMELY accurate to .001 of an inch and can print out the results of the measurements.

You could then see exactly how big the card was, how square it was, and if the sides are perfectly parallel to each other. I would think on many cards, centering could also be measured.

This, of course wouldn't solve all the problems, but it would be a step in the right direction.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    My suggestion is that the TPGs purchase a visual inspection machine (they have existed for at least 20 years). These can measure cards, I would assume either at a certain card value level or service level.

These machines are EXTREMELY accurate to .001 of an inch and can print out the results of the measurements.

You could then see exactly how big the card was, how square it was, and if the sides are perfectly parallel to each other. I would think on many cards, centering could also be measured.

This, of course wouldn't solve all the problems, but it would be a step in the right direction.

I completely agree with this. There are several aspects of the grading process that should not be automated or handled by a machine, but sizing is not one of them. There are readily available systems to measure things very accurately and consistently and I think they should be used in this case.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 11:33AM

@JoeBanzai said:

Honestly, none of the measurements you’re citing here are considered important by PSA. Extreme accuracy of measurement is not needed when manufacturing specifications of cards are not exact. Squareness, sides being parallel, these things happen to be important to me, but we’ve seen time and again that they aren’t that important to PSA.

PSA does pretty well at measuring centering and detecting undersized cards. The problem is plenty of legit cards are the same size as trimmed cards. Detecting trimming is much more than measurements.

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

“human-based opinion is simply unattainable...”. OK, but what about the expertise and experience that you also promote to support your service? What about the “Professional” in PSA? What about those really “skinny” 1953 Parkies?

Finally, is making a statement in such an Op/Ed fashion meant to provide comfort or create confusion?

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul I agree that extreme accuracy of measurement is not critical. I think consistency is much more important. When someone can send in a card and have it come back with a sizing issue, then send it in a second or third time and have it slabbed that is very inconsistent. I also agree that trimmed cards can sometimes fall into the acceptable size range for an issue so measuring will not always ensure an unaltered card. I think anything within reason that can be done to improve the process sounds like a good idea to me.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand that some people may not care for Joe's latest editorial, but my willingness to allow civil debate/discussion does not include blasting the individual. I have deleted one comment already and will shut down the thread if necessary.

Thanks, Todd

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    I understand that some people may not care for Joe's latest editorial, but my willingness to allow civil debate/discussion does not include blasting the individual. I have deleted one comment already and will shut down the thread if necessary.

Thanks, Todd

Thanks AFL for keeping this open, but please understand that it is simply impossible for Joe to separate his collector side from his CEO of PSA side. His editorial is supposedly as a collector and it is evident that his apparent and real conflict in interest does not allow him to address the views of collectors/hobbyists appropriately, IMO.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

It’s our fault for trusting too much.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rachelstone said:
    I wonder if there is a way to mark a card that has been rejected before returning it, maybe with an invisible ink or some other way.

One thing these scambags seem to do is keep resubmitting cards until they slip through. Destroying their chance to resubmit and in fact branding that card as ungradeable would likely cut into scammers pockets so badly that only the very best might even try it. As it sits, there is no penalty for attempting to pass an altered card.

I think that most honest hobbyists would agree to allow this as a condition of submission. I personally have had a few cards returned ungraded and actually marked them myself so as to avoid accidentally resubmitting or selling them.

I've read reports by some of the internet sleuths out there that claim to have reconstructed large submissions that had insanely high failure rates, 20, 30, even 40% or more cards in a submission rejected. It's not hard to understand that those same cards will be in a future submission, allowing the scammers to recoup their investment sooner or later.

As long as scamming collectors by fooling PSA is profitable, it will continue to be done. By tagging trimmed cards and not allowing them to be resubmitted, PSA increases the risk taken by those who are tempted to try to bump a card through alterations. Cracking a slab to alter a card and being caught by PSA will then carry a penalty.

One woman's thoughts....

It would be nice for collectors, but marking or confiscating bad cards just won’t fly. You’re basically asking PSA’s opinion on your card and seeking their stamp of approval. They are free to withhold that, but they have no legal right to confiscate or deface your card in the process. An altered card isn’t illegal to own, they just don’t have any right or basis to take such actions.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I believe that PSA's statement was tone deaf. At what point is PSA going to accept some responsibility for the mess that the hobby finds itself in today? I think we'd all appreciate hearing something along the lines of "Sorry. We've made mistakes and we're working to do better in the future." The customer base needs some reassurances for the future.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@AFLfan said:

Thanks, Todd

Thanks Todd.

I certainly see a lot of people complaining and not offering any solutions. I don't see why I would get "blasted"?

PaulMaul, I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I worked with a "View Precis" machine. Without getting into a long technical explanation, they can very quickly do these measurements and determine how close a card is to the desired size. If these measurements were in a database of information, you could look it up and see how short it was, or if the card was actually rectangular. If this information was used in conjunction with photographic records, you might even be able to prove a card has been trimmed, if it was cracked out cut and resubmitted.

One way to detect trimming would be that if both sides were not parallel, a paper cutter would usually cut both sides so that they were very close to being parallel.

I am not suggesting this be done on every card, but just telling people to "look closer" or "try harder" is going to have a limited effect.

@LGC said:

@AFLfan said:

Thanks, Todd

Thanks AFL for keeping this open, but please understand that it is simply impossible for Joe to separate his collector side from his CEO of PSA side. His editorial is supposedly as a collector and it is evident that his apparent and real conflict in interest does not allow him to address the views of collectors/hobbyists appropriately, IMO.

I just don't understand what you mean here. It just happens that I spent 24 years working at a fairly high tech circuit board manufacturer and I used some equipment that I thought would possibly help with this issue.

I am only trying to offer solutions. Blaming PWCC, Moser and TPGs isn't going to get us anywhere.

By the way, I am a small business owner, so I guess I AM a CEO. LOL

@PaulMaul said:

@rachelstone said:
    I wonder if there is a way to mark a card that has been rejected before returning it, maybe with an invisible ink or some other way.

One thing these scambags seem to do is keep resubmitting cards until they slip through. Destroying their chance to resubmit and in fact branding that card as ungradeable would likely cut into scammers pockets so badly that only the very best might even try it. As it sits, there is no penalty for attempting to pass an altered card.

I think that most honest hobbyists would agree to allow this as a condition of submission. I personally have had a few cards returned ungraded and actually marked them myself so as to avoid accidentally resubmitting or selling them.

I've read reports by some of the internet sleuths out there that claim to have reconstructed large submissions that had insanely high failure rates, 20, 30, even 40% or more cards in a submission rejected. It's not hard to understand that those same cards will be in a future submission, allowing the scammers to recoup their investment sooner or later.

As long as scamming collectors by fooling PSA is profitable, it will continue to be done. By tagging trimmed cards and not allowing them to be resubmitted, PSA increases the risk taken by those who are tempted to try to bump a card through alterations. Cracking a slab to alter a card and being caught by PSA will then carry a penalty.

One woman's thoughts....

It would be nice for collectors, but marking or confiscating bad cards just won’t fly. You’re basically asking PSA’s opinion on your card and seeking their stamp of approval. They are free to withhold that, but they have no legal right to confiscate or deface your card in the process. An altered card isn’t illegal to own, they just don’t have any right or basis to take such actions.

I agree that marking the cards with invisible "ink" would not be a great idea. I think confiscating would be worse.

Offering solutions is a good idea though.

Sorry if I offended anyone in any way, that was not my intention.

Have fun collecting!

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai, They are all talking about Joe Orlando, not JoeBanzai.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@AFLfan said:

Thanks, Todd

Thanks Todd.

I certainly see a lot of people complaining and not offering any solutions. I don't see why I would get "blasted"?

PaulMaul, I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I worked with a "View Precis" machine. Without getting into a long technical explanation, they can very quickly do these measurements and determine how close a card is to the desired size. If these measurements were in a database of information, you could look it up and see how short it was, or if the card was actually rectangular. If this information was used in conjunction with photographic records, you might even be able to prove a card has been trimmed, if it was cracked out cut and resubmitted.

One way to detect trimming would be that if both sides were not parallel, a paper cutter would usually cut both sides so that they were very close to being parallel.

I am not suggesting this be done on every card, but just telling people to "look closer" or "try harder" is going to have a limited effect.

@LGC said:

@AFLfan said:

Thanks, Todd

I just don't understand what you mean here. It just happens that I spent 24 years working at a fairly high tech circuit board manufacturer and I used some equipment that I thought would possibly help with this issue.

I am only trying to offer solutions. Blaming PWCC, Moser and TPGs isn't going to get us anywhere.

@PaulMaul said:

@rachelstone said:

One woman's thoughts....

I agree that marking the cards with invisible "ink" would not be a great idea. I think confiscating would be worse.

Have fun collecting!

He was talking about Joe Orlando.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@AFLfan said:

Thanks, Todd

Thanks Todd.

@LGC said:

@AFLfan said:

Thanks, Todd

@PaulMaul said:

@rachelstone said:

One woman's thoughts....

Have fun collecting!

OH! Now I get it! LMFAO

• Options

Nice to see members injecting some comic relief here, whether intentionally or unintentionally!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@AFLfan said:

Thanks, Todd

Thanks Todd.

@LGC said:

@AFLfan said:

Thanks, Todd

@PaulMaul said:

@rachelstone said:

One woman's thoughts....

Have fun collecting!

OH! Now I get it! LMFAO

I think graygator posted a statement issued by Joe Orlando. I've always found your posts to be very intelligent. I wish I could say the same about myself, but I know people view me as the forum clown. I've accepted that.

• Options

@graygator said:
    @JoeBanzai, They are all talking about Joe Orlando, not JoeBanzai.

To ensure no future confusion, please refer to me from now on as Mr Banzai in the future ;-)

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I think graygator posted a statement issued by Joe Orlando. I've always found your posts to be very intelligent. I wish I could say the same about myself, but I know people view me as the forum clown. I've accepted that.

I will admit, I had my doubts about you, BUT I kept my mouth shut and noticed that while I don't always "get" your humor. You are not the forum clown in my mind.

But don't quit your day job. ;-)

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@doubledragon said:

I will admit, I had my doubts about you, BUT I kept my mouth shut and noticed that while I don't always "get" your humor. You are not the forum clown in my mind.

But don't quit your day job. ;-)

Thank you.

• Options

@brad31 said:

Complaining about the complainers does not move the discussion forward. Talking about substantive ways to get better does.

Joe O said:

Grading is not conducted in a science lab. It is simply humans looking at collectibles.

This is disappointing because I think Joe O is level-setting our expectations and that their investigation will result in very little/nil.

I am in Finance. Joe’s statement is just like my CV saying I am human and I look at numbers.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bullet needs to be chewed on by someone and that bullet is every single card that has been identified as altered should be systematically DESTROYED. That’s the bottom line, this complete nonsense of labeling a flip “Altered or Authentic” is as laughable as 90% of the Pop Reports, slabs can and do get cracked out and resubbed MULTIPLE times. That is the only way to fix this mess the way I see it. That being said as far as who is responsible and who should bite said bullet is a different story, I don’t have enough knowledge to know who is 100% guilty or involved or not.

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 4:08PM

All I can say is "Wow" I wish Mr. Orlando and PSA the best with their future endeavors. This little fish is getting out of the pond. Way to blame the guys doing the work for you.Your company should have been doing this work after the first few of these tampered with cards came to light.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m wondering if PSA will take Q & A’s at the PSA luncheon at the National. I can probably answer that now for everyone, NO! When will PSA finally discuss the giant elephant in the room? I’m not the smartest guy, but I know it’s extremely hard the sweep an elephant under the rug. I’m 100% invested in PSA, plus I’m stock holder so I want answers. I truly feel like the kid outside the Chicago court house as Joe Jackson walks by after hearing the White Sox fixed the WS. “Say it ain’t so Joe’”. Baseball took a huge hit after the Black Sox scandal, but thank God there was a guy named Babe Ruth who resuscitated the game of baseball. Is there a Babe Ruth out there to save TPG?

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Joe is right, it is clear the TPG’s can’t consistently validate cards. Good on him for being transparent and buyer beware.

Graded cards have definitely jumped the shark when the prez of a grading company says “hey, what do you want us to do”?

• Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    I believe that PSA's statement was tone deaf. At what point is PSA going to accept some responsibility for the mess that the hobby finds itself in today? I think we'd all appreciate hearing something along the lines of "Sorry. We've made mistakes and we're working to do better in the future." The customer base needs some reassurances for the future.

100% tone deaf.

This discussion has been closed.