Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wow us with your unique Steve Garvey items

I try this every now and again on different boards to see if anyone can pull out something I have never seen before. If you have something unique, please share an image of it. If you have something good and are willing to part with it too, I may be your buyer.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

Comments

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019 8:39PM

Well heck, you've probably already seen most of mine. But just in case, I'll post a few of 'em.

![](https://us.v-

• Options

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love player collector threads like this!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Garvey was my favorite as a kid. Great stuff. I love the ViewMaster disc!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Ryan, it always pains me a little when you share that 1980 Long Beach newspaper card. Considering what I have already collected, needing one item like that seems minor, but it is a big one. I do enjoy seeing it though. That and the 80 Topps coin that is bound to show us later as well. I am hoping something I have never seen before shows up one day. It does happen from time to time.

I don't think I have the Garvey book promo photo, but I might. I have a lot of photos. The rest of what you share I can lay claim to as well.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2019 10:38AM

The very coolest thing about all these is that I attended a large show in Frisco, TX this weekend, and SGC was there. Furthermore, they agreed to either encapsulate and/or grade a good percentage of the ungraded items shown above. It'll be so nice to finally have those graded (and thus protected).

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

What is that GAF card?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff! As a player collector, I love threads like this. I hope more chime in, I really enjoy seeing the oddball and obscure stuff from this era.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@Ironmanfan said:
    What is that GAF card?

IMF

It's a microfiche sheet, believe it or not.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

I had a GAF view master when I was a kid. You need it to see the pictures on the card.

• Options

Great story and great gamer! I'd love to have a Garvey bat in my collection.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Great stuff! As a player collector, I love threads like this. I hope more chime in, I really enjoy seeing the oddball and obscure stuff from this era.

Couldn’t agree more!!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    What a great thread. This is one of those “I never thought you’d ask”!!

Was at Shea circa 1980 Mets / Dodgers game. Went down behind Dodgers dugout before the game and Garvey comes up with what I later learned was a cracked bat. He pushes it from the handle towards the crowd of kids angling for it and gosh darn if Garvey doesn’t say “this is for him”. And thus, a hero was born. Took the bat to the NYC National few years later and could care less to meet Mickey Mantle for an autograph. Met Steve and he signed the bat! That was 40 years ago.

Saw Garvey again in 2008 and told him about that day. He was gracious but I’m sure did this daily so my memory was obviously better than his. :).

It’s funny now as I’m 50. I wouldn’t sell the bat for 10x it’s value and yet it really only has meaning for me. So, I’m really appreciative of this thread because I was able to share the story with guys who understand.

Great story. Thanks for posting. Priceless bat for sure.

• Options

Not particularly unique, but I got this in person at a charity softball game:

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Here is the bat Garvey used in Game 4 of the NLCS to hit “the home run.” I’ve had it with the Padres for a few years. It’s in the museum at Petco.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

What an incredible piece of baseball history!

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great bat, wow!

Looks like Steve reduced his pine tar line a bit from 1980 to 1984. LOL, as the Brett game was 83...

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 8:41AM

'71 Ticketron Garvey

and a '71 Topps Garvey, slabbed by PSA, signed on the slab by Garvey, and then in turn that is slabbed by GAI.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

Good stuff. I have to send you to a different site to show off some stuff that I have shared in the past. I still think one day I might put in the effort to build a site to display it, but that is a big maybe. It's not all Garvey, in fact it's a lot of recent Dodger death tributes, but a fair amount of the older posts were.

http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! That is one of the cleanest 71T I have seen. None of the normal edge chipping and super sharp.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Not that unique, but does include another Dodger favorite, Manny Mota.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Love that Garvey rack, and 1978 in general.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 9:22AM

Impressive items!

The guy is a HOF in my eyes...he dominated the All-Star designation and played for great teams and then helped carry the perennial losers in San Diego to the WS...

Plus, he could rake off the field... ;)

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

JAWS ranks Garvey somewhere between Boog Powell and George Scott. Yawn.

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Using a modern statistic like JAWS to try and retroactively measure whether a past generation is Hall-worthy. That's a major yawn to me. Ironically, the inventor of JAWS, Jay Jaffe, grew up in Utah as an LA Dodger fan during the late 1970s/ early 1980s.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Why this superstar isn't in the hall is beyond me. Must be politics as usual. Sad.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

OK. He led the league twice in hits and once in sacrifice flies. That's it. I don't believe that JAWS (or any stat which purports to include everything knowable about a player) is perfect, but I find it vanishingly unlikely that a player who JAWS ranks as 50th at his position is actually in the top 25 (there are 21 HoF first basemen). Garvey was a good hitter, maybe would have been very good if he were able to play a more valuable position than first base.

I'll go so far as to say the only reason Garvey made ten All-Star rosters and hung around all fifteen years on the HoF ballot was because of how popular he was. If you don't like JAWS, pick any number you like to justify it.

• Options

HOF or not, Garvey was an all time great! Loving this thread....

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Popular is right. He was a media darling. While he may not have led the league in key categories he certainly was always in the top 10 for a while in hits, HR, RBIs, no? I haven’t done the research. The consecutive game streak - Ironman thing - also added to his lore.

Hall of very good.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

These might not be "unique" but they are also not the easiest of all his oddball items to find in high grade:

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    There is no way Harold Baines deserves it more than Garvey.

On this much, at least, we can certainly agree. It would be hard for me to find more than about 100 people who deserve it more than Garvey. Easy to find 300 more deserving than Baines. Ditto Jack Morris, for that matter. If we admit everyone better (or more deserving) than Baines or Morris a) we'll have a Hall of Good (not even Very Good) and b) we'll make inevitable mistakes. Terry Puhl, to pick a name at random, is pretty close to, but demonstrably worse than, Baines. If we admit him by mistake, do we then admit all players more deserving than Puhl? Where does it end?

• Options

Lots of this isn't rare, but I'll throw a bunch of my stuff out there just to see what sticks.

• Options

Great item! I'm with you, the obscure and oddball items are my favorites.

• Options

Wow, I love seeing that 1973 OPC Rough Cut 10 !

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

daltex Posts: 261 ✭✭✭ May 6, 2019 1:15PM
    .....I'll go so far as to say the only reason Garvey made ten All-Star rosters and hung around all fifteen years on the HoF ballot was because of how popular he was. If you don't like JAWS, pick any number you like to justify it.....

You're sort of missing the point. Isn't making TEN All-Star rosters because of how popular he was by definition make a player worthy of the Hall of Fame. It's essentially saying that during his player career, Steve Garvey was considered one of the best players in the game by fans. The point of the Hall of Fame is to remember the best of the best and from the mid 70's to the mid 80's Steve Garvey fit that description.

If you're going to use an analytical stat retroactively (my attempt to post any number for you), use Bill James' Hall of Fame Monitor (who ironically isn't a Steve Garvey fan). It was one of the very first stats to measure a player's Hall of Fame worthiness. A player with a score of 100 is worthy of Hall of Fame induction and Steve Garvey's score is 130 (which is thought to be a virtual cinch for induction).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#hof_monitor

This is from the link's first sentence........"This is another Jamesian creation. It attempts to assess how likely (not how deserving) an active player is to make the Hall of Fame. Using its rough scale, 100 means a good possibility and 130 is a virtual cinch."

• Options

• Options

@Garveysd6 said:

Love the Garvey art piece, one of the best I've seen.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this one will not wow you but is surely unique: Two Topps foil stickers on an index card. Signed through the mail in the mid-80's. I'd welcome any comments on the legitimacy of the signature - I believe Garvey was a known TTM signer at the time.

Daniel
  • Options

I’m sure it’s real. Garvey has been reliable TTM for 30+ years now.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

Those cans are were nealry impossible to find when they were new and I have seen almost none since they stopped selling them live. I don't get it either. The soda cans with players on them are dime a dozen easy to find, but not the beer cans.

That art peice was used for a program insert. Very cool.> @Garveysd6 said:

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    I’m sure it’s real. Garvey has been reliable TTM for 30+ years now.

Longer than that. My friend wrote a letter to Garvey when he was in Spokane and Garvey returned with a letter of his own. Couple years ago, Garvey returned to Spokane and we met with him before the game. Showed him the letter and he just loved seeing it. Took photos of it, showed it to people, etc. It was great.

• Options

Here’s a Topps Wall Art poster of the 1974 card, that Steve signed with a silver sharpie:

• Options

1972 Valenzuelan stamps/stickers

• Options

Issued by Fernando Valenzuela?

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@elninopadre said:
    1972 Valenzuelan stamps/stickers

Sadly, those Venezuelan Garvey cards are counterfeits.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/873566/1972-topps-venezuelan/p2