Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1972 Topps Venezuelan

2»

Comments

• A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The font's that I made the alphabet image of are of the font face in question.

The other font, the one on the authentic Oliva & Yastrzemski, I believe was created by a different printer (or at the very least on a different printing machine) in 1972 and I know them to be authentic as I have some with that font.

I've taken a few subsequent steps in notifying people who have bought some of these cards. The market is as flooded as it will bear with these counterfeits. The seller, Gilberto Gil, uses the user name "venezuelancards" on eBay. He has quite a few active listings for these cards, the ones depicting the MLB players against the green background are all fakes. I do not know whether he bought them from a local counterfeiter and got duped himself.

I'm going to try to put together a more comprehensive article for these cards with better pictures and see if I can get the word out in the hobby and hopefully PSA & Beckett will learn this as well and stop grading the fakes. I have not yet decided how I'm going to handle my cards. I will at some point talk with Gilberto, who can only communicate in Spanish, get his side of the story assuming he will even talk to me since this discovery could cause issues for him. I am at the very least going to seek recovery of the grading fees from PSA on the ones I've submitted for grading, take them out of the holders and have them removed from the pop report. I urge others to do the same. These cards are completely worthless and should not be resold to unsuspecting buyers.

• << <i>

<< <i>Alright, here's the most obvious difference between them. I scanned a bunch of my cards and put this together. The font in the top row came from original 1972 Venz. cards. The font in the bottom row came from Gilberto's counterfeits. I don't have very many of them, so I couldn't even assemble a full alphabet.

Very distinct differences can be seen especially on the letters A, G, J & R. Of all the cards pictured in this thread, only the Rose on the right, the Oliva in the PSA 1 and the Yaz in the SGC 1 holder are authentic. The rest are counterfeits. >>

I'm a little confused. You say the Oliva PSA 1 is authentic, but yet the font on that card does not match your authentic letters. >>

The 1 is authentic think its more a scanning issue. The authentic fonts are very thin if in doubt go to the loupe test if the green is solid it is good.
  • Hello,
    Just an fyi Those are my Oliva Stamps, they were scanned at the same time. The PSA 1 is an authentic stamp, the PSA 3 is a counterfeit. I looked at both of them in high resolution and its obvious that the green is solid one the 1 and not on the 3.
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I think my fonts look different from both of the alphabets posted...I dont have a loupe handy to check out the green area....is mine real?image

• << <i>I think my fonts look different from both of the alphabets posted...I dont have a loupe handy to check out the green area....is mine real? >>

Can you rescan just the 72 bigger hard to tell as is. I lean to fake based on straightness of the green border but need higher res to see real details.

• << <i>I think my fonts look different from both of the alphabets posted...I dont have a loupe handy to check out the green area....is mine real? >>

Here is a real one for sale at gfg.com

• A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Both of the Brooks Robinson's pictured are authentic.
  • FYI, he no longer has any items for sale...

<< <i>

<< <i>Is Gilberto Gil selling on eBay? If so, under what seller name? Thanks everyone. >>

He is venezuelancards on eBay there is no proof he created them and might just be naive as we all were in buying them he does have many Venezuelan cards that are totally legit. >>

Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It is beyond my comprehension how someone could be so dumb as to counterfeit this set

. >>

Not totally understanding what is meant by this?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to hope that venezuelancards just got duped by a local counterfeiter rather than knows about the ones he is selling as authentic but actually aren't. I haven't purchased any 1972's from him, but I have bought a few from 1966-1968 from him that were absolutely legit and graded well by PSA. Fast shipping by FedEx from Venezuela too, though my packages were searched by customs before being delivered.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for Bob sighting!

Bob, good to see you back on the boards...do you have any 70s OPC left?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I just compared an Aparicio En Accion (#175) that I'm confident is authentic with a Freddie Patek (#11) that is in much nicer condition, and which I think came from Gil a few years ago. The font on the Aparicio looks like that on the authentic Oliva pictured earlier in this thread - it's a sans serif. The font on the Patek looks thinner than that on the counterfeit examples, but doesn't quite match the authentics shown by Josh.

I'll try to get high-quality pictures up.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>+1 for Bob sighting!

Bob, good to see you back on the boards...do you have any 70s OPC left? >>

+2

Hope all is well, Bob!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Found this from a link by another site, so i wanted to save it. Still need to figure out how to subscribe to threads on this site.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.