Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Missing members...who do you realize is missing?

Comments

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody remember xpipedreamer? I bet MadMarty does.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    AuroraBorealis has been noticeably quiet.

m

Didn't he sell off his Indians? I hope he isn't leaving the hobby.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    LasVegasTeddy

+1

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:

@PerryHall said:
    I miss the Open Forum here. :o:D;)

I miss it too. :o

Russ, Lucy, Relayer, DHeath, SGTPPS, indianabyron, NWCS, JacktheKnife, Placid, RalphP13, meos1, wolf359, BigGreek, Madmonk & Jonesy. Probably more that I have forgotten. There was several back in the early 2000's.
    I didn't know Russ had passed but he was good on the AH '64 Proof Kennedys.

NWCS is back again! :wink: my username now is an homage to my son. (Inside joke). Hard to believe how much my life has changed from those days. Touched someone even remembered me :)

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dog97. :)

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2019 4:12PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Justacommeman said:
    AuroraBorealis has been noticeably quiet.

m

Didn't he sell off his Indians? I hope he isn't leaving the hobby.

I sat next to him that night in New Orleans. ( maybe part of his Indian set) I’m pretty sure he still has his Color Bomb Morgan collection.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

NWCS!! Your username is TurtleCat!? I got some good advice from you back then. I forgot about dog97, he was good about commenting as well.

Ken
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@llafoe had some of the best one liners and a great sense of humor.

• Options

@bearcave said:

NWCS!! Your username is TurtleCat!? I got some good advice from you back then. I forgot about dog97, he was good about commenting as well.

Yep! It’s me now. I thought about trying to resurrect the old username but I don’t know the password or the email address I used when I created it, lol. And thank you for the kind words. I’m very grateful to have been of any help :)

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good to see you back.

Ken
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:

I miss that kind of frolic. The Open Forum allowed for a lot of that (although, admittedly, smoe juvenile stuff).

@georgiacop50 said:
    Anybody remember xpipedreamer? I bet MadMarty does.

Xpipe is a good man. Posted regularly at the OFR for a while. last time was probably 4 or 5 years ago.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@CaptHenway said:

@Raybo said:

@Insider2 said:
    I miss @tootellthetruth He was part of a very interesting discussion.

I remember the "Omega Thread"

I still have not decided if I believe his story.

Seemed far fetched to me.

might be buried in the desert.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a few I notice their absence however life goes on.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totellthetruth. His gangster story was fun to read.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coincob was legendary.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019 2:41PM

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, the memories. I don't post much but have enjoyed the posting of so many people over the years.
    You guys have already named everyone I could think of.
    All great people and good memories.
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Mercury

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Boom was sweet, and new his Washies...
    Walman had a quirky sense of humor, - got him nuked. :/
    Speedy, BigE and Bear, never an unkind word

The open forum was lively, but it could get pretty mean spirited

AKA Pakasmom

• Options
    GTOsterGTOster Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

How about
    TooTall and ksteelerhead
    Paul

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GTOster said:
    How about
    TooTall and ksteelerhead
    Paul

I think you meant Kensteelheader.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@GTOster said:
    How about
    TooTall and ksteelerhead
    Paul

I think you meant Kensteelheader.

I remember his handle as Ksteelheader. You guys should maybe split the difference. ;)

But yeah, I enjoyed his posts.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today is lordmarcovan's birthday.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

It’s Conder101 still around? I thought of him after seeing the thread on the Gen 1.0 PCGS slab.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    It’s Conder101 still around? I thought of him after seeing the thread on the Gen 1.0 PCGS slab.

Unfortunately he got banned. :/

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Conder Posts on other forums and I don't think he wants to come back.
    Lord C also posts mostly on another forum.

• Options

Sorry to hear he got banned. I posted ATS every so often but didn’t bother to keep my account when they went to a new board. I always liked this board better, honestly...

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I'm here for the yearly check-in. I sure miss the old times and group. I scanned the threads and was pleased to see a more active and vibrant read than I have the past few years. Good to see the knowledge shared so freely once again.

I haven't purchased any coins lately except for some Carr pieces. Maybe because I can't really handle them safely. My disability has finally caught up to me. It took fifty years to do it. All I can move are my hands a little. SMA (Spinal Motor Atrophy) is the condition, and 24-hour care is the result. Don't know how many knew that, till now.

I stay busy, my computer and I, with design in many fields and more projects than I will ever finish. Till next year.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Texast said:
    Well I was gone for a while, I wonder if "BOOM" is still around, the only person I recognized is "Wondercoin" ...

Welcome @Texast! Congrats on persevering in your battle!

Thank you @Hemispherical ,. I wish I could remember the board member who brought food to me and my ex this exact time of year back in 2008 as we waited for five days in the Intensive Care waiting area for five days at The Med in Memphis after my son was in a deadly car crash and lingered in a coma.

It was a very hard time that many members hear helped me through.

I'll have to look at the old post.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nysoto said:
    RogerB along with others who seldom post - pistareen, denga, quarternut, rittenhouse.

Add firstmint, roadrunner, MrHalfDime to that group. The realm of insightful, historical, archival numismatic discussion is a thing of the past around here. Too bad.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

One the the Wabbit fellows, can't remember which one...

He posted some real gems, and I got the impression that he had plenty more

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UtahCoin
    Wes,
    come back.
    KN

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whetr in the world is Mike from
    @NewEnglandRarities ?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

I recall fondly when clw54 was a regular contributor here. His posts were generally timely and well thought out, but most impressive was his ability to produce over 75,000 pearls of wisdom in only 4 years.

Chuck put the pro in prolific. Some guys post gibberish 24 hours a day for 13 years and cannot reach such a high number on their digital odometer. Each of clw's open forum submissions was like a glimpse of Rembrandt with it's visual poetry as well as intellectual clarity.

Coinhead1 was the Wilt Chamberlain of members amassing over 100,000 posts, but he was retired and could pound away at the keyboard all day. Clw had a disadvantage as he was employed and could only post during the 128 hours each week when he was not cubicle bound. Remember that there were no smart phones that one could sneak out back with in the early 2000's to add a quick forum thought, adding even more difficulty to the task of becoming a 100k man.

To clw's credit, after coinhead1 died unexpectedly, he promised to never exceed the good man's total, and he did not. Shortly thereafter, 2005 if I recall correctly, the CU Open Forum was discontinued and many regulars went on to other sites.

All the mega posters owe a debt of gratitude to clw54, for he was one of the early pioneers of this new and exciting frontier.

• Options

Is the open forum archived?

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

Looks like if we "Search" a former collector's "handle"(CLW54), we can see many of the old posts from years ago. :)

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Is the open forum archived?

Sadly no. The CU open forum was quickly dispatched with no more than an afternoon's notice. Many were lucky to get out with the skivvies on our backsides.

:/

• Options

...and I don't want to go through all 281 or so posts here to see if Otis was mentioned yet. He wore the hat of Sports moderator and was patient when the situation called for it but efficient when miscreants ignored his repeat warnings.

Otis was friend to most all of us first and moderator second. His breadth and depth of collectibles knowledge was second to no one here. But Otis was humble and never let on that he was expert in a number of areas including sports cards and coins.

He signed off from the CU boards one New Year's eve. Time flies but I am guessing that it was 7 or 8 years ago. I was fortunate to share a few PM's and an online toast with Otis that night as he logged off. He is at another forum on the WWW and doing well.

• Options

Ksteelheader was def banned. Long time ago too. Not sure where Roadrunner went, he was a good guy.

SaintGuru just got tired of us I think, ditto EastVillageProwler.

BTW georgiacop50 is history now as he was an alt B)

• Options

BTW georgiacop50 is history now as he was an alt B)

GOOD!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Coinhead1 was the Wilt Chamberlain of members amassing over 100,000 posts...

:o:D:*

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 9:53PM

@coinhead1, I am retired and can’t imagine getting to 100,000 posts. I have been hear for many years and have yet reach 30,000.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seem to recall a "Bust Half Brian".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

They nuked our post count from the open forum. I had over 10,000. Yup clw54, coinhead1, the Tjennings and gmargulis put down fights. Coincop & wife. Most went to the open forum refuge. It's still around somewhere.....

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Shoot....I forgot twodogs

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did Adrian finally end up? >:)

Disclaimer: I haven't read the previous posts :(

• Options

Im pretty new to alot of people on the forums that post nowadays but, maybe only a small hand full would remember me. Only in passing likely. My screen name was " ccr " and apparently my account has been deleted which shows how long Ive been out of the loop which is about 13 years or so. Seen this post and couldn`t resist adding something to it. Not actively collecting but still have what I did when I posted here years ago.

So sorry to hear about Russ passing away. Excellent Kennedy half collector. Couple more we have lost along the way since the early days like Fc57coin ( "The Pug " ), and the tragic loss of " Sheriff Sample Slab ".

Also anyone remember Carolj and the up coming kid " airplanenut ". Incredibly sharp kid. Remember " lordmarcovan "? he posted mainly in the world coins and was really funny. mdwoods the milwright. Always liked and Lucybop.

Clw54 still posts and that is wonderful. The voice of reason back then and was likely the backbone of the place. The guy you always looked up to and was quite modest about it.

If you want to look at some of the old posts go here: https://web.archive.org/

I havent found a way to the old open forums. They closed it down around 2005/2006. It was a shame as there where alot of great off topic information on it that didnt relate to coins ( which was it`s intended purpose ). Can understand now why.

Dont know if Ill post much as I`m out of the hobby now. Like I said, I still have all those coins from when I posted then and was looking at them again recently and brought back alot of good memories of being here. Alot of really great memories and invaluable information. Easily made me a better collector.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2020 10:53AM

Denga, Pistareen, Roadrunner, RYK, Midlifecrisis, ColonelJessup

Stone has his own website now: www.badmetalcoin.com

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see posts from @keyman64 anymore. He use to be an active and informative contributor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file