• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Cubbies! B)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dull game tonight.

The only highlight was a boring walk-off grand slam by Bryce Harper

https://youtu.be/hB1Ia0qxMcM

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):)

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just happened to be checking out the MLB scoreboard and saw that it was 5-3 in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded and Harper in an 0-2 hole. I clicked on MLB.TV to watch, and by the time it loaded for me to view, the count on Harper was 1-2. I immediately saw who the pitcher was, and was like, why is that tomato can on the mound? That's the back end of the Cubs bullpen with Kimbrel out? I was not up to speed on everything that had happened in the late innings that caused Holland to be in the game, just that I wasn't very confident that his lefthandedness was going to be any kind of advantage in this matchup...

Anyway, I enjoyed the drama between the next few pitches as they showed the standard alternating crowd shots of Phillies fans nervously cheering and pleading for something good to happen, while Cubs fans had grim, concerned looks on their faces.

One thing about Harper is that he doesn't get cheated. He wasn't choking up to poke a game tying single into left field. He swings so violently, and when he connected, there was no doubt as it left the bat. That was soooo cool, and Harper kicked it into about 4th gear as he high stepped and sped around the bases as fast as I think I've ever seen on an out of the park homerun. Not that it matters, but I'm not sure he even made it all the way to touch home plate before he was mobbed by teammates.

I watched the on field post-game interview, and the reporter asked him how does it feel to have a big hit like that, and I'm pretty sure on live TV, Harper said "Holy sh*t!!!...It feels great!". Haha!

A really great comeback by the Phillies. Perhaps a signature win that propels them to great things this year, and perhaps the first of many more great moments by Harper to come. I'm glad I caught it just in time and got to see it as it happened. Just a great baseball moment, and why I watch the games.

• Options

I didn't see it.....but it sucks. Bad managing by the Cubs that gave....key word GAVE the game to the Philly's! :s

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    Phillies office just announced they are replacing their current hitting coach with former Phils manager Charlie Manuel.

Phillies bats have come alive since this happened.

Coincidence?

Whatever it is, i'll take it. :)

• Options

Bryce Harper becoming the hitting terror out there we all hoped he would be.

Will it continue?

We shall see.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Bryce Harper becoming the hitting terror out there we all hoped he would be.

Will it continue?

We shall see.

Maybe he will have a 0 for 58 slump. :D

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 12:52AM

I have a friend who is a die-hard Red Sox fan, and I think she will be cussing me out this morning. :)

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    I have a friend who is a die-hard Red Sox fan, and I think she will be cussing me out this morning. :)

In this case, much better to be the cussee than the cussor. LOL

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

What ever happened to the annatheiics ( ya I'm gonna try to spell it out) coach?
    Charlie, I'm your jueleettee

• Options

@stevek said:

@ernie11 said:

In this case, much better to be the cussee than the cussor. LOL

You know what they say about blind hogs and acorns. ;)B)

• Options

Can anyone here offer some advice on how to handle a forum thread heckler?

Perhaps it's a similar manner as comedians do with hecklers in nightclubs.

;)

• Options

Oh and BTW - a shout out of appreciation to the great city of Boston for the hospitable way that they treated our Phillies.

We owe you a debt of gratitude and some sincere thanks!

:D

• Options

@stevek said:

;)

I thought about this a little bit.

Maybe if i try to buy him off by sending him a couple dozen PCGS 66 Barber dimes, that might do it?

;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

;)

I thought about this a little bit.

Maybe if i try to buy him off by sending him a couple dozen PCGS 66 Barber dimes, that might do it?

;)

That would definitely do it! ;) He would probably even be a Philly fan for that. B)

• Options

Seems like every time the Phillies play the Marlins, the Phillies players must think they're up against the 1927 Yankees.

Blowing a 7 run lead to the worst team in the NL. Are you friggin' kidding me?

Games such as this can get managers fired, players released, and empty seats in the stands...as well as turning a thread like this into a cheat post thread. 😒

• Options

Now the Marlins, the stinkin' Marlins are leading 19-9

This is really hissing me off. 😠

• Options

Back to back Phillies walks with the bases loaded, two outs in the 9th.

This isn't even worthy of a tease. Phillies still losing 19-11.

Why am i watching this?

Why?

• Options

Good, it's over.

Thank you!

• Options

With a 7:15 pm, (est) start, the 5th inning ends at 10 pm, Oh my," the parking meter"!

• Options

Are they still parking on local residents front lawns? Well, if so, lets wake the neighbors.

• Options

No team that plays so poorly this season against a dead-last place team like the marlins deserves a wild card spot. Terrible.

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    No team that plays so poorly this season against a dead-last place team like the marlins deserves a wild card spot. Terrible.

I sadly have to agree with ya.

Yet the Phillies just went up to Boston, last year's MLB champions and still a half decent team, and swept a two games series.

The Phillies have the consistency of a 10k claiming horse at Parx.

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    Besides their leaky pitching I think the loss of their leadoff man Andrew Mccutchen was a big blow ~He was a galvanizer.... kinda like an ensemble rug that ties the whole room together.... That dude abided. I think they would have 5 more wins and 5 less losses with Andrew healthy all year IMO.

Leaky pitching doesn't win championships and that is a fact.

• Options

Pasted:

The Phillies are 6-8 against the Marlins this season.

To put that in perspective, here’s how the other teams in the NL East have fared against the Marlins so far this season:

Atlanta is 15-4.

The Mets are 11-4.

Washington is 10-3.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Pasted:

To put that in perspective, here’s how the other teams in the NL East have fared against the Marlins so far this season:

Atlanta is 15-4.

The Mets are 11-4.

Washington is 10-3.

Well, you know what Yogi said...……………………...……...…..

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:
    Pasted:

Atlanta is 15-4.

The Mets are 11-4.

Washington is 10-3.

Well, you know what Yogi said...……………………...……...…..

It ain't over 'til stevek says it's over.

I dunno why Yogi said that, I never even met the guy.

• Options

Phillies had a 6 run lead against the Marlins going into the bottom of the ninth and I was terribly worried.

Thankfully the Phillies held on.

Miracles can happen. 🤔

• Options

@stevek said:

@ernie11 said:

I sadly have to agree with ya.

Yet the Phillies just went up to Boston, last year's MLB champions and still a half decent team, and swept a two games series.

The Phillies have the consistency of a 10k claiming horse at Parx.

True - remember they swept the Cubs not long ago.

• Options

I wish they played the Marlin's all year. B)

• Options

Another loss to the Marlins.

And Harper still away on paternity leave. Wasn't one game off enough for that?

Pathetic. 😒

• Options

@stevek said:

Pathetic. 😒

Maybe he should just retire and join Luck in sissyland! B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Pathetic. 😒

When ya sign a contract for that much money, and your team is on the road, then it should be that when your kid is born, you just simply have to wait until your next off day to visit the kid.

I mean the new born kid doesn't give a chit if the father is there or not, right? 👶

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Pathetic. 😒

When ya sign a contract for that much money, and your team is on the road, then it should be that when your kid is born, you just simply have to wait until your next off day to visit the kid.

I mean the new born kid doesn't give a chit if the father is there or not, right? 👶

Maybe he is wanting this time off because he is not doing so good and is tired of looking like crap. B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Pathetic. 😒

Maybe he is wanting this time off because he is not doing so good and is tired of looking like crap. B)

Tells me his wife and kid are more important to him than the fans.

This guy needs to get his priorities straight. ;)

In all seriousness, the Phillies are in a race for the wild card. Harper could stayed with the team to try to help them win, while remaining in touch with the wife by iPad, and then during an off day he could fly out to visit the kid. But he choose not to help the team.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been a fan of Sean Rodriguez for a long time. I remember he had a walk off homer his first game back with the Pirates in 2017. The baseball gods love to create irony and to see him do it to his old team after the recent criticism and struggles was fantastic!

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Go Phillies!!!

Good win tonight.

We certainly need every one of them. :|

• Options

This Phillies season:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. :/

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a series with the Phils is just what the Mets needed to get back on track!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I hate it when Mets fans get optimistic. 😒

• Options

@stevek said:
    This Phillies season:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. :/

And in any given game, you don't know in advance which one of these three that you will get.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2019 2:03AM

Another ugly game last night. The Phils seemed determined to play themselves out of the wild card picture (looks more and more like it will be the Nats and the Cubs) and into 4th place in the NL East.

As former Phillie Tug McGraw once said of his own pitching, some days you go out on the mound and feel like you've got the tiger by the tail, and some days the tiger has you for lunch!

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    Another ugly game last night. The Phils seemed determined to play themselves out of the wild card picture (looks more and more like it will be the Nats and the Cubs) and into 4th place in the NL East.

As former Phillie Tug McGraw once said of his own pitching, some days you go out on the mound and feel like you've got the tiger by the tail, and some days the tiger has you for lunch!

Not only do the Phillies have to pass at least one of the teams you mentioned, but also do better than three other teams that right now are on a par with the Phillies.

So if say for example the Nationals collapsed, there are still three other teams the Phillies would need to beat, in order to grab a wildcard spot.

Certainly not impossible. However doing the simple math, as well as the fact that except for some spurts, the Phillies have not played championship caliber baseball this season, the Phillies situation unfortunately looks bleak.

• Options

One thing for sure, there will be some changes in the off season.

Whether or not that includes the manager, i'm not sure.

I like Kapler personally and so does the Phillies front office, but if he can't help the Phillies win ballgames, then he should go.

Yea i know, i know, the manger doesn't hit or pitch. However good managers, certainly great managers, make the best moves at the right time during a game, as well as intangibles such as understanding the various psychology behind motivating players and keeping them focused during a long season.

• Options

@stevek said:
    One thing for sure, there will be some changes in the off season.

Whether or not that includes the manager, i'm not sure.

I like Kapler personally and so does the Phillies front office, but if he can't help the Phillies win ballgames, then he should go.

Yea i know, i know, the manger doesn't hit or pitch. However good managers, certainly great managers, make the best moves at the right time during a game, as well as intangibles such as understanding the various psychology behind motivating players and keeping them focused during a long season.

Maybe the Eaglett's should trade "Frailboy" to the Philly's. He could pitch since nobody would be hitting him...he wouldn't get hurt as often. Of course there is always the chance of a gust of wind coming up and blowing him off the mound. Snap there goes another collarbone! B)

• Options

Well, 2 straight wins and the Phillies are hanging in there...I think.

Hanging in there or hanging, i'm not 100% sure which? 🤔

• Options

@stevek said:
    Well, 2 straight wins and the Phillies are hanging in there...I think.

Hanging in there or hanging, i'm not 100% sure which? 🤔

Too bad the Football season isn't going to be any better for ya! :oB)o:)