Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gallery Mint Museum by Ron Landis and Joe Rust

Comments

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes Zoins !

While special ordering errors I became aware of a massive error set in the works with general instructions. Not individually hand drawn like mine. Later I got to see it all, piece by piece. It took a few years of gently reminding lucky owner I would love to own it all. One day, I got the call. Best Day Ever!!!

I know of a few error coin dealers who were also making special orders. I won't mention them as one never knows what may come up. Ron & Joe were in core of the ANA Events, attending Summer Seminars and several big ANA shows. Many coin dealers were aware from early on GMM Special Orders were gladly accepted.

Look at Coin World article from 1995 I got them to autograph. It had striking errors imaged. I saw that as an friendly invitation.

Wouldn't you ???

@Zoins said:

@LindyS said:
    I only concentrated on made on purpose errors and historically significant items from their limited production.

Do you know of others that had purposely made errors? Is there a community of like minded collectors / co-creators of these?

Your hand-written drawings for the design of these are a part of history now and deserve to be documented as such!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2021 10:44AM

@LindyS What a wonderful signed article and piece of history!

It's exciting that you have a big collection of your own and one that you acquired! It would be great to associate the GMM errors with a provenance with the co-creators!

This one isn't mine but I like the creation! I haven't seen too many GMM full brockage errors.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2021 10:43AM

Here's a real error for the 2000 ANA First Seam Press commemorative I was able tp pick up. It's known as "The Train Wreck" which fused two planchets and pretty much destroyed the first die. An article from Numismatic News describing the situation is below.

Numismatic News wrote:
    According to Joe Rust of the Gallery Mint Museum in Eureka Springs, Ark., who according to Baker "put in a Herculean effort working on this press," the problem was a capped top die. A struck planchet stuck on the top die as another blank was fed into the press. The die then came down and struck the two planchets. Simultaneously, the bottom die was moving faster than top die. The jam caused two bolts to detatch.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2021 5:21AM

Zoins, Brockages were some of my favorite Special Order mated pairs.

Also enjoyed ordering these. My proof Franklin Halves & 1945D Merc were sent to GMM for enhancement. Back in the day I'd send them a check with need/wants , donor coins & hand drawn blue prints. About a month later I'd have them in hand. Then I'd assess, compare to my existing error coinage collection & decide what I still wanted to explore for my archive. Then placed another order...

For the record, I never have never represented these items as legit errors. When private Mints create fun , goofy stuff without then performing quality control, like destroying it all, its part of their history that will last Centuries. Typically I buy specials on aftermarket that I am certain are not errors though sellers say they are. Hand placed screw press productions , that then wrongly struck & inspected & then released are abundant. Its just you cannot find these goodies cause we made keepers.

@Zoins said:

It's exciting that you have a big collection of your own and one that you acquired! It would be great to associate the GMM errors with a provenance with the co-creators!

This one isn't mine but I like the creation! I haven't seen too many GMM full brockage errors.

@Zoins said:

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS Those are really neat. I like the Franklin and Mercury dimes a lot. Thanks for sharing you incredible collection here.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2021 8:45PM

@LindyS That Mercury dime on Large Cent is amazing!

I've posted this before but I believe this may be my only Lindy special. Have to reunite it with its other half!

• Options

@Zoins said:

I've posted this before but I believe this may be my only Lindy special. Have to reunite it with its other half!

Interesting that @Zoins has this restrike as obverse on obverse and reverse on reverse where @LindyS has just the Large Cent obverse restrike on both sides of the Franklin. Very cool stuff.

Keep them coming. Please.

• Options

Pretty certain I sold as a pair many years ago, but will dig thru archive to double check.

Also Zoins, that 1793 is struck by rare short 1 in date die

@Zoins said:

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these "mint errors" made to order?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

My hand drawn pictures "blue prints" & a check sent in the mail got me these 25 years ago:

• Options
    edited November 8, 2021 8:18AM

@PerryHall said:

Many of these are made to order.

The funny thing is that I posted this real mint error above, but apparently real ones don't get any likes in this area of collecting ;)

Here's a real error for the 2000 ANA First Seam Press commemorative I was able tp pick up. It's known as "The Train Wreck" which fused two planchets and pretty much destroyed the first die. An article from Numismatic News describing the situation is below.

Numismatic News wrote:
    According to Joe Rust of the Gallery Mint Museum in Eureka Springs, Ark., who according to Baker "put in a Herculean effort working on this press," the problem was a capped top die. A struck planchet stuck on the top die as another blank was fed into the press. The die then came down and struck the two planchets. Simultaneously, the bottom die was moving faster than top die. The jam caused two bolts to detatch.

• Options

@LindyS Good thing it wasn't baseball or 3 Strikes "You are out".

That is neat how it was all lined up perfectly.

• Options

@Zoins Well now you got two likes from me :smiley:

• Options
    edited November 8, 2021 8:27AM

@pcgscacgold said:

Thanks! But it's okay, you didn't need to do that.

I think it's an interesting commentary on collecting that people like the fantasy errors more than the real ones!

We've had some discussion on the popularity of US Mint fantasy errors with some people dismissing them because they are not "real", but the prices speak for themselves.

We can have a contest on how creative the fantasy errors get: Gallery Mint vs. US Mint ;)

Here's a creative US Mint error:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1056628/i-really-really-really-like-ike-3-piece-eisenhower-dollar-sells-for-over-100-000/p1

• Options

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I think it's an interesting commentary on collecting that people like the fantasy errors more than the real ones.

We've had some discussion on the popularity of US Mint fantasy errors with some people dismissing them but the prices show how in demand they are.

I really don't have an interest in US Minted error coins. Many seem like a midnight minter created them for profit. I know some just happen but many were made on purpose.

The "errors" that have been posted here are really neat because there was a known purpose or request for them. The most recent ones are really cool and probably the tip of the iceberg. Just my thoughts. I know there is a whole segment of the collecting world that loves to find US Mint errors.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2021 8:35AM

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I think it's an interesting commentary on collecting that people like the fantasy errors more than the real ones.

We've had some discussion on the popularity of US Mint fantasy errors with some people dismissing them but the prices show how in demand they are.

I really don't have an interest in US Minted error coins. Many seem like a midnight minter created them for profit. I know some just happen but many were made on purpose.

The "errors" that have been posted here are really neat because there was a known purpose or request for them. The most recent ones are really cool and probably the tip of the iceberg. Just my thoughts. I know there is a whole segment of the collecting world that loves to find US Mint errors.

Good perspective on profit motivation.

I mostly look at both as collectibles and expression of creativity in making them.

I have a few fantasy clovers that I need to post some time :)

• Options

@Zoins The Ike one is neat but it was not an "error". The person knew exactly what they were doing.

I would love to pay Daniel to do the same with a Peace Dollar die and 3 dimes. I don't see a difference.

I have nothing against error collections. Just not something I view much. For me this is a hobby so I collect what I like and don't care to make money. I know a lot of error collectors are in it for the "Cherry Pick" or find that sells for big money.

• Options

Geeze, 3 edits & poof. Try again...

Shenanigans, Mint Sport, Assisted from USA Mints have a far higher admission fee compared to Private Mint counterparts.

I was over the moon when I came across this, knowing it could have actually fit in SMS flat pack & is from year one of San Francisco Mint reopening after being mothballed in 1956.

My 1965 SMS 10c struck on SMS Type II 25c planchet remains unique after 56 years.

Provenance ?

From Fred Weinberg a few years ago.

• Options
    edited November 8, 2021 8:54AM

@pcgscacgold said:
    @Zoins The Ike one is neat but it was not an "error". The person knew exactly what they were doing.

Yes, the person knew what he or she was doing, but I mention it because here we know Lindy knew exactly what he was doing, so that's why they are similar to me. The main difference to me is there's no paper work for the US Mint ones, and the profit motivation.

From a metal creation perspective, I tend to like them all, whether US Mint, Gallery Mint or Moonlight Mint :)

• Options
    edited November 10, 2021 4:29PM

Zoins, Back in late 2000 this popped up in my gallery mint fleabay search. I thought, its got to be real, not GMM issue as the LIBERTY on Cap just looked legit, so 3D in depth. I quickly closed buy it now offer for Ten Dollar Bills.
    I am certain you would know:

Is it an actual 1836 steam press issue ?

I see you own the train wreck. Its a cool bonded pair ! Is it silver ?

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

The funny thing is that I posted this real mint error above, but apparently real ones don't get any likes in this area of collecting ;)

Numismatic News wrote:

• Options
    edited November 10, 2021 6:28PM

@LindyS said:
    Zoins, Back in late 2000 this popped up in my gallery mint fleabay search. I thought, its got to be real, not GMM issue as the LIBERTY on Cap just looked legit, so 3D in depth. I quickly closed buy it now offer for Ten Dollar Bills.
    I am certain you would know:

Is it an actual 1836 steam press issue ?

This one looks like a US Mint issue but a restrike with sand blasted yellow-ish surfaces. How does it look in hand?

Here's an original in my collection with a mahogany finish.

• Options
    edited November 10, 2021 6:38PM

@LindyS said:
    I see you own the train wreck. Its a cool bonded pair ! Is it silver ?

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

Numismatic News wrote:

Yes, it's bonded pair of silver planchets. I also have another silver error of this issue and the first 6 or so strikes off the press. This is one of my favorite issues given it’s connection to the first US Mint steam press.

@Coinosaurus has the cancelled dies for this issue.

• Options

Picked up a few more 2 coin sets (half dime proof and mint) for my 1796 Proof and Mint homemade sets I'm building. These are Landis photos. Proof silver double set is almost complete. Mint silver double set has a few missing pieces. I need the gold big time. I hope some company decides to slab these soon.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Picked up a few more 2 coin sets (half dime proof and mint) for my 1796 Proof and Mint homemade sets I'm building. These are Landis photos. Proof silver double set is almost complete. Mint silver double set has a few missing pieces. I need the gold big time. I hope some company decides to slab these soon.

Amazing progress and achievement!

It's good to be focused :+1:

• Options

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Amazing progress and achievement!

It's good to be focused :+1:

Thank you. I have really enjoyed joining the Landis/Carr family here on CU. It is such a welcoming group.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 7:27AM

Ron's done a lot of work on the annual tokens for the Original Hobo Nickel Society which are detailed here:

http://hobonickels.org/tokens.html

• 2001: designer and die sinker: silver & copper
    • 2002: designer and die sinker: gold, silver & copper: 10th anniversary
    • 2003: designer and die sinker: silver & copper
    • 2004: designer and die sinker: silver & copper
    • 2005: die sinker: silver & copper
    • 2006: reverse designer and die sinker: silver & copper
    • 2007: designer and die sinker: silver & copper
    • 2011: reverse designer: silver & copper
    • 2012: reverse designer: gold, silver & copper: 20th anniversary

I have a number of these and they are fun pieces.

2002 Original Hobo Nickel Society (OHNS) - Bo Hughes 10th Anniversary Token - Brass - by Ron Landis

What's great about the 2002 issue is that it was done' to honor George Washington "Bo" Hughes, who is not only a great carver, but a hobo too.

This is from CoinWorld:

Steve Roach said:
    If there’s an undisputed master of classic “hobo nickels” it would be George Washington “Bo” Hughes, who produced a rich body of work. As the Original Hobo Nickel Society writes in its 2010 guidebook, “He was born circa 1900 and left home about 1915 and led the life of a hobo right up to the time he disappeared in 1980.”

A hand injury in 1957 diminished the quality of his carvings done after that year, but “Bo” and his teacher Bertram “Bert” Wiegand are the undisputed “Old Masters” of the genre.

And another article:

Paul Gilkes said:
    According to Del Romines, author of Hobo Nickels, “Bo” was the youngest of 10 or 11 children, and the son of a freed slave. He was born circa 1900 and left home about 1915. He led the life of a hobo right up to the time he disappeared in 1980. Bo made his first hobo nickels in the late 1910’s.

This piece is an off metal which is new to me and I'm excited to add. It's in an older ICG holder and I wonder if it was ever covered on Verne's GMMNut website. The normal versions are gold, silver and copper, all of which I had already.

Does anyone have any information on this or other off metals or trials?

Here's some info from OHNS on the 2002 issue:

http://hobonickels.org/tokens.html

OHNS wrote:
    2002 OHNS Hobo Tokens (SOLD OUT)

The annual OHNS hobo tokens for 2002 were unveiled at the FUN show and this year we are issuing the tokens in silver, copper and gold. The obverse pictures George Washington "Bo" Hughes, and the reverse OHNS' Steam Locomotive. The gold specimens were struck for prepaid orders... of which there were only seven. The dies were cut by Ron Landis. These are priced at $20 for the silver, $10 for the copper, and $30 for the pair.

2002 Original Hobo Nickel Society (OHNS) - Bo Hughes 10th Anniversary Token - Gold, Silver, Copper - by Ron Landis - Ex. Don "H2O" Haley

Here's my standard composition set. Looks like I might need to get a larger Capital Plastics holder!

Of note, the gold is coin turn, while the silver and copper are medal turn. I've always wondered why the gold was done with coin turn but perhaps it was to distinguish it from the brass!

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2021 7:29AM

@Zoins ,

I have been adding many of Ron's designs to Tokencatalog.com as time permits.

Here is a link to what I have added to date.

http://tokencatalog.com/display_records.php?SearchStringEveryWord=Ron+Landis+&SubmitFilter=SearchUSA&action=DisplayRecords&ta_country=U.S.A.&td_state=&td_city=&SearchString=&SearchStringAnyWord=&HomePageSearch=&view=All+Listings

I encourage others to join in and add historical information to the catalog entries as appropriate.

Ron's 2001 Bo Washington piece is already added to the catalog.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 7:47AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    @Zoins ,

http://tokencatalog.com/display_records.php?SearchStringEveryWord=Ron+Landis+&SubmitFilter=SearchUSA&action=DisplayRecords&ta_country=U.S.A.&td_state=&td_city=&SearchString=&SearchStringAnyWord=&HomePageSearch=&view=All+Listings

I encourage others to join in and add historical information to the catalog entries as appropriate.

Z

TokenCatalog.com is a great site and I highly recommend it! It's been around a long time and has a lot of great resources!

That being said, I think making PDF catalogs is very important for posterity, as they can be archived easily. I'm worried one day TokenCatalog.com will just go offline, like many other great websites including Verne Walrafen's GMMNut and Don Smith's Heraldic Art Metals websites.

Some images have already started to disappear off the site :(

https://tokencatalog.com/display_records.php?SearchString=&SubmitFilter=Search&SearchStringEveryWord=original+hobo&SearchStringAnyWord=&ImagedOnlyOption=&action=DisplayRecords

My dream is to have a website that can act like a catalog CMS and publish to PDF.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    @Zoins ,

Z

TokenCatalog.com is a great site and I highly recommend it! It's been around a long time and has a lot of great resources!

That being said, I think making PDF catalogs is very important for posterity, as they can be archived easily. I'm worried one day TokenCatalog.com will just go offline, like many other great websites including Verne Walrafen's GMMNut and Don Smith's Heraldic Art Metals websites.

https://tokencatalog.com/display_records.php?SearchString=&SubmitFilter=Search&SearchStringEveryWord=original+hobo&SearchStringAnyWord=&ImagedOnlyOption=&action=DisplayRecords

My dream is to have a website that can act like a catalog CMS and publish to PDF.

Thanks for alerting me to those. Those are my entries and I still have the images. I can re-upload them.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    @Zoins ,

Z

Thanks for alerting me to those. Those are my entries and I still have the images. I can re-upload them.

Z

Haha! I didn't even notice that! I just looking up Original Hobo Nickel Society pieces!

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

Nice images and info on the Hobo Nickels!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

A few new pieces entered into Tokencatalog.com today Just search for "Ron Landis" to find the entries.

Z

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s pretty cool your posting these in tokencatalog.com @ZoidMeister . I have a silver 2002. If you want to enter into that data bank. I’m fairly certain I read online the mintage is 500.

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    I think it’s pretty cool your posting these in tokencatalog.com @ZoidMeister . I have a silver 2002. If you want to enter into that data bank. I’m fairly certain I read online the mintage is 500.

Nice one. I need to find the page with the mintage numbers so I can add that information.

I have it posted.

Z

• Options
    edited November 24, 2021 9:13AM

@ZoidMeister said:

@coinsarefun said:

Nice one. I need to find the page with the mintage numbers so I can add that information.

I have it posted.

Z

Great job on adding these to TokenCatalog.com! It will be a big help to have these in there!

• Options

Here is your chance. Holiday sale at Landis Studios

Our** Indian Head obverse tribute paired with a hallmarked reverse **Buffalo in ultra high relief.

This piece is 24K fine gold in 1/3 ounce (10.37 grams).

Indian Head/Buffalo tribute in Gold

$785.00 Regular Price ** $667.25 Sale Price**

• Options
  • Options

This is a wallpaper I made of all the Ron landis GMM strikes. I added one of the other contestants’ nickel design and a Jefferson commemorative, just cause I like the look of all together.

• Options

Slab Errors anyone?

I ran across a few interesting listings on fleaBay this morning. A seller had posted a few "certified" hobo nickel tokens. Each of the slabs pictured below has at least on "attribution error." Can you tell what they might be?

BTW: these errors were not made by this forums sponsor.

Z

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were overstruck on buffalo nickels rather than Jefferson nickels.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    They were overstruck on buffalo nickels rather than Jefferson nickels.

Even bigger attribution error there.

Z

• Options

It says "ES" on the reverse, so unless Dan was working out of Eureka Springs, Arkansas, this must have been done by an awesome minter from Arkansas!

• Options

@Zoins said:
    It says "ES" on the reverse, so unless Dan was working out of Eureka Springs, Arkansas, this must have been done by an awesome minter from Arkansas!

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2021 12:57PM

I dont know if a 9 over 7 was intentional, but this is a Gallery Mint Museum coin (1794 dollar)

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Better Image!
    I dont know if a 9 over 7 was intentional, but this is a Gallery Mint Museum coin (1794 dollar)

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

That is intentional. Ron's first attempt at a Bicentennial commemorative of the 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar.

Z

From the Landis Studios website:

@rooksmith said:

Better Image!

• Options

@Zoins was kind enough to attribute these to Ron in a different thread. I thought I would share them here as well.

Z

• Options

The GMM coins are excellent Fillers for cost-prohibited coins in a Type Set. I would rather have an accurately reproduced Copy than a Poor or About Good example that shows little detail.
    All Type Collectors should seek these to fill those unfillable slots.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file