Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gallery Mint Museum by Ron Landis and Joe Rust

Comments

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

To think that these are now nearly 25 years old...

I had a 1796 quarter replica with "COPY" on the obverse. I thought it might be fun to get one with the copy on the reverse and put them together in an old Wayte Raymond page.

When I received it last week, it turns out it is one of the 16-stars obverse. Ron Landis accidentally added an extra star when he first made the dies.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

That eagle should really have a couple of sandwiches 🦅

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Anyone buying in the Labor Day Sale? I see a bunch of items are SOLD now!

Wut WUT?

It looks like EVERYTHING is out of stock . . . . . . !

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@Zoins said:

Wut WUT?

Z

Wow! There were still quite a few items until I made my post!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@Zoins said:

Wut WUT?

Z

Wow! There were still quite a few items until I made my post!

Man, the power of the Zoins . . . . . . .

I guess you gotta be FAST around here . . . . .

Wait, check that. You've gotta be clairvoyant . . . . . . . .

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

I can't wait to see what they dig up to replace all those sold items. . . . . . .

Cleaning house makes room for more treasures, right?

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Thanks for posting,
    I made my first purchase from the Landis Studios, two vintage old stock pieces - proof 1796 quarter eagles with and without stars. Oh and a couple stickers

They shipped this morning, & I’m Looking forward to seeing them in hand

Cheers

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    edited September 4, 2021 9:06PM

Wow, this is an amazing set! Look at the edges on this one.

Did anyone here pick this up?

https://www.landisstudios.net/product-page/complete-8-piece-1793-gallery-mint-copper-reproduction-set

What's so fascinating about Ron and Joe's work is the hand engraving and the original minting methods. Minting just isn't done this way any more!

These would wonderful pieces to hold and inspect the edge.

• Options

Wasn't me, unfortunately.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking set. By the time I got to the site the gold was all gone. I will have to watch. A few people here have sent me photos of some amazing gold coinage that he has created.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 8:33AM

@LukeMarshall said:
    I got the gold the other day, two 1796 quarter eagles “vintage old stock”

Started me down a GMM rabbit hole that lead me to someone selling a 1795 half eagle (which lead down another rabbit hole (more to come))

I wanted to post a pic cause these golds are amazing… watery fields and frosty devices, really really well done.

Makes me wanna chase down the Gold Eagle next .

Careful……….warning GMM gold and silver for that matter is very addicting.
    I love those gold pieces. What’s neat is they are made to exact specifications as the original ones.

I have a proof set with gold, silver and copper, it makes for a cool looking presentation.
    Edit to add, I don’t have the unc’ s ……need to get them

• Options

@LukeMarshall , you do realize that I am "up for adoption," right?

Z

• Options

I ran across this interesting ANA token by Ron Landis / GMM the other day.

Actually, it's a pair of tokens. Two planchets were struck with a 1977-D Lincoln Cent sandwiched in between.

I just thought it was cool and would fit in well with my oddball collection.

No, it didn't come with the Lincoln Cent unfortunately . . . .

Z

• Options

Amazing token pair @ZoidMeister ! Congrats on a great pick up!

• Options
    edited October 23, 2021 10:36PM

@coinsarefun said:
    !1 ray

Amazing Stef! It's amazing to hear the history on these pieces! Here's a description of these from Ron!

It’s historic that this is the coin that created the "golden dollar!" I knew this was significant and rare but did not know about the effect it had on our modern coinage!

Ron Landis wrote:
    Of all the prototypes created at Gallery Mint, this is the one that is most important as far as historic significance.

My previous Liberty Head design had gained a lot of interest in Washington but Representative Michael Castle (the head of Monetary Policy at the time) decided a Statue of Liberty design would be more recognizable and be more effective in getting other members of Congress to vote for the new coin. I had three days to engrave and heat treat the dies, strike the patterns in brass an get them sent next day to D.C. for a Senate hearing on the new coin.

The reverse die was already done but the obverse was designed from a description of a James Ferrel (a US Mint engraver) design that was described to me over the phone. The die was hand cut and hardened. There was no time to ponder the details or do refinements in a positive hub.

The piece was distributed to Congressional members and changed some minds because it was clear that this coin struck in yellow metal would not be confused with a quarter dollar coin. An issue that caused two previous bills to fail.

Later, I made a hub from the die and refined some details. While I was at it, I removed the eleven sun rays so I could make the new variety with 13 rays. A more significant number in American iconography. 2000 pieces were struck from the 13 ray die as double thick Piedforts and sold to collectors. This “Senate Strike” was same thickness as the actual coin it became. Selection of the design theme for the new “Golden Mini Dollar” came at a later date and is a story unto itself.

• Options
    CDBPDXCDBPDX Posts: 38 ✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2021 1:30PM

2000 Dated Prototype SOL Dollar.

• Options

Gallery Mint Statue of Liberty "Modern Portrait" concept dollar. About 47 minted.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2021 1:20PM

Above is a Gallery Mint uncirculated 1793 Wreath Cent with 'high 9' in date. Scarce variety.
    Image below shows the more common 'low 9' die.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2021 1:57PM

2000 Concept Dollar Liberty Head. Thin Planchet. From Landis Studio's website
    Written on website from Ron:
    From one of the GMM archive sets. Scarce piece struck on a thin planchet. This is not one of the 2000 double thick Piedforts but rather the same thickness as the legal tender Sacajawea Dollar coins

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CDBPDX

Welcome to the forums! Your 1796 pocket piece is really cool!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    edited October 26, 2021 12:05PM

From 1995 through 2005, the Gallery Mint published newsletters and collectors updates to allow GMM patrons to keep up with the goings on at the Mint. I was fortunate to acquire an almost complete set of Gallery Mint newsletters. They can be viewed here:
    gmm.cdbpdx.com/news/

• Options

@CDBPDX said:
    From 1995 through 2005, the Gallery Mint published newsletters and collectors updates to allow GMM patrons to keep up with the goings on at the Mint. I was fortunate to acquire an almost complete set of Gallery Mint newsletters. They can be viewed here:
    gmm.cdbpdx.com/news/

This keeps it in a neat and tidy easy to look at format......thanks!

• Options

A nice 'cud' on a 1796 $1 and a pre-'cud' with cracks.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2021 4:48PM

1793 Chain Cent replica, this with 'dots' after date & Liberty. Note the fraction on the reverse. Looks like it was made 1 over 10, then corrected to 1 over 100 by squeezing in another 0

• Options

Nice obverse ''CUD' on a Gallery Mint 1794 Dollar.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CDBPDX said:
    gmm.cdbpdx.com/news/

Thanks so much for sharing.

I was going through some stored items recently and came across an unopened box from the Gallery Mint. When I opened it I found a display box. Now that tells me somewhere I have the coins that go with it presumably for the Complete 1796 Type Set.

The archived newsletters also identified that the 1796 Set and Display Case were first introduced at the "107th Convention of the American Numismatic Assn. in Portland, Oregon." Ironically, I attended that one.

• Options

@CDBPDX said:
    gmm.cdbpdx.com/news/

I've used your site often for research. Thank you for making it available.

Z

• Options

I only wish that there was some documentation on Ron and Joe's early pre-GMM work.

Z

• Options

A few favorites.

Z

• Options
    edited October 29, 2021 9:16AM

1999 Chicago ANA Convention/Show medal created by Ron Landis and presented to judges and exhibitors. Very heavy!! Hot pressed, 46.2 grams of pure silver.
    Ron's first reverse was rejected by the ANA committee, they wanted a much more prominent "Lamp of Knowledge", so Ron revised it. Also prettied up the obverse. Very high relief.

• Options

@CDBPDX said:

1999 Chicago ANA Convention/Show medal created by Ron Landis and presented to judges and exhibitors. Very heavy!!
    Ron's first reverse was rejected by the ANA committee, they wanted a much more prominent "Lamp of Knowledge", so Ron revised it.

Awesome piece!

• Options
    edited October 25, 2021 9:05PM

The Gallery Mint struck some unusual annual medals. They said it was accidental, but someone struck paired 1993 & 1994 Obverses and also 1993 & 1994 Reverses! They were not numberred, except as 000.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2021 9:21PM

There were 2 different edge dies for the 1993 Annual Medals.

• Options

I think I have all the ‘regular” medals made by Ron and the GMM.

The ANA medals.

Then, I think I have the last one in silver and copper. I guess it wasn’t supposed to be made in cooper

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2021 5:40AM

Very Nice ! The #000 were made for archive sets. There were 10 mule pairings of each made.
    All 20 are edge stamped 000 and included inserts are 000

@CDBPDX said:
    The Gallery Mint struck some unusual annual medals. They said it was accidental, but someone struck paired 1993 & 1994 Obverses and also 1993 & 1994 Reverses! They were not numberred, except as 000.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2021 12:05AM

This is my earliest dated Renaissance Festival Token by Ron Landis, dated 1988, featuring Pegasus and Lion..

• Options

@CDBPDX said:

This is my earliest dated Renaissance Festival Token by Ron Landis, dated 1988, featuring Pegasus and Lion..

That is one that I am missing.

Please post up a few more.

Z

• Options

Here is a renaissance token dated 1989.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file