Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gallery Mint Museum by Ron Landis and Joe Rust

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 16, 2020 12:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm a big fan of the Gallery Mint Museum led by Ron Landis and Joe Rust working Mike Ellis, Timothy Grat, and others. A while back I noticed that people would buy pairs of these with the COPY on either side to enjoy both faces without it.

I picked up this pair of copper dollar patterns this year and they are among my favorite GMM pieces. Love the size, heft, and edge work. Coin 2 below is more proof-like than coin 1 and doesn't have stars on the obverse.

Post any GMM or Ron Landis / Joe Rust pieces you have here.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice. Looks like nice details went into the engraving. You can see the flow lines, too. Is that the color in-hand?

• Options
    edited December 16, 2018 1:16AM

The color in hand is a bit more red and the surfaces are much flashier than evident in the photos.

For comparison, I picked this up from @indeetlib a while back who does some of the best photos of GMM pieces I've seen.

There's some info on the GMM Newsletter on this piece in the lower right corner ErRORS article below:

http://gmm.cdbpdx.com/news/

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to have many Gallery Mint pieces back in the 1990's. Unfortunately, I sold them at a time when demand for them on the secondary market was very low.

My feelings about them today are mixed. Even though they are clearly marked as copies I probably would not buy any today.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 4:16AM
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 4:20AM

This is a piece of planchet strip that the Gallery Mint used to punch blank planchets from that were used to create the "regular thickness planchet" Concept Dollars. That is, any Concept Dollar except the 1995 and piedfort pieces.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had an interest in these products... Though I have looked at them, they just do not have the attraction of authentic mint products. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 16, 2018 9:11AM

@ricko said:
    I have never had an interest in these products... Though I have looked at them, they just do not have the attraction of authentic mint products. Cheers, RickO

They are not supposed to have the "attraction of authentic Mint products."

The idea is to get closer than otherwise possible. The pattern in my first post is unique and has resided in the Smithsonian since 1987 so the choices are GMM or bust ;)

The other thing I've noticed is that some of the silver pieces have very nice toning now.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never bought any of the silver when they were making them, but quite a bit of the bronze and I put them all in capsules and they have stayed brilliant.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lmao, someone always chimes in to let us know that GM items aren't as good as the real Federal coins that they were made to tribute and honor.

And they don't care for the COPY that was put on the coins to respect and abide by the Hobby Protection Act.

And the designs and striking, which were hand engraved and done by human powered screw press, aren't as close to the original designs as the computer copied fantasy counterfeit pieces being produced in recent years.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any like the op, btw looks awesome.
    I do have the 1796 proof & MS set with gold. And this one with all the die polish lines.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few of the copper ones-1793 chain cent and 1796 half cent.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2018 4:08AM

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the kind words @Insider2! It took me a while to find, photograph, and post all this. Your post made it all worthwhile!

I noted these had toned a little over time....

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    edited December 28, 2018 1:01PM

I am also a fan of Gallery Mint. I've collected a few different items direct from them when they were still in business and also via the aftermarket. Most of my purchases were "special orders" consisting of specifically made to order errors.
    My first special order was couple off centered struck Chain Cents, one regular off center and the other a double dated double strike. That first order was inspired by two similar Chain Cent errors featured in the one page article about Ron & Joe from the August 14th 1995 Coin World, page 126.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are all great examples. Thanks for sharing. My addiction nerve is twitching.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a former antique toy dealer regularly advertising worldwide, all I can say is that every repro decreased demand for genuine items.
    In the case of the old toys, they destroyed the market completely.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely! I'd be buying all kinds of Brasher Doubloons, if only it weren't for these blasted replicas!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

I don't think anything will happen with coins as the market is VASTLY larger.
    However, I won't pretend that future collectors won't be just as happy with copies.

Just sayin'

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are Pretty Coinsarefun!

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan too. I purchased nearly all of the copper and silver pieces when they were issued

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few random GM reproductions:

peacockcoins

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

I met the president of the replica coin club.

B)>:)

• Options
    edited November 23, 2019 9:00AM

Coinsarefun that Steampunk Anglerfish is something else! Coin learner nice ones. Thank you for sharing.

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    I can add something to this thread.

This is a great piece. Love seeing the die cracks on these. It would be great to build a full collection showing the die crack / cud progression.

• Options

I just found this one came in a special presentation box with a brief history booklet. Now its goes into the Dark Abiss!

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2020 11:01PM

Thanks for bringing this thread back. I recall driving by the site of the Gallery Mint Museum even though it was not open at the time. Additionally I have some of the their products.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not supposed to have the "attraction of authentic Mint products".

I would disagree and say that is EXACTLY what they are supposed to have. some of the Gold issues are made at least partially for collectors to own instead of the real coins which would be cost prohibitive for almost everyone. also, if they weren't made for that reason they wouldn't need to have "COPY" on them somewhere. to my way of thinking they are a predecessor to the Carr issues which also rely heavily on the mimicking of "authentic Mint products" to interest collectors.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible pics (my specialty :'( ). 1796 and 1794 dollar on top and 2 EAC COINS on the bottom. I bought nearly all of the silver and copper pieces when issued (No gold, ancients or "errors")

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Awesome Post !

@WDP said:
    @Zoins , fun thread. As you noted as some collectors did, what pieces I have from the Gallery Mint were bought in pairs, thus could display Obverse / Reverse with no COPY showing.

I have a story and some photos to share. Ron Landis had a relative living in Denver and thus was in the Denver area once in a while. We had met at shows and the ANA Summer Seminar. Ron knew that I collected and studied the U.S. Early Dollars 1794 to 1803, and contacted me to see if I had a 1796 Dollar for him to study as he was working on dies to strike a 1796 dated silver dollar. I told him I had a 1796 B-5 (BB-65) Dollar that I would have for him when he came to my house, and a microscope to help see the details.

It was interesting to watch Ron study the 1796 Dollar. He looked at it much differently as an engraver than I did as a collector. I remember one key item that he discovered - the eagle's feathers were punched into the hub "one by one."

After studying this 1796 Dollar Ron said that he was scrapping the 1796 dated die that he had prepared, and would be redoing it. I knew the U.S. Mint had struck one 1794 Dollar Trial Piece in copper using the regular dies. I asked him if he would strike a pair of 1796 Dollars in Copper as "Trial Pieces" (with one having COPY on the obverse and the other on the reverse) which he did, and sent the pair to me as a gift. I don't know if the Gallery Mint struck any additional 1796 Dollars in Copper, or not. If anyone has an example struck in copper please let me know.

Here are the photos from the two the Copper Trial pieces, the two 1796 Dollars struck in silver from the same pair of dies, and a photo of some of the 2X2 envelopes that I have the copper pieces stored in. The last coin photographed is a fun bonus.... As you will see I like late die states and cuds on early coins!

1796 $1 Gallery Mint Copper Trial Pieces

1796 $1 Gallery Mint - Struck in Silver

1796 $1 Gallery Mint - Very Late Die State with Massive Obverse Cud

Photos courtesy of W. David Perkins

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    Here is Ron’s personal pocket piece!

Very nice! And no less nice for having the "COPY" stamp.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got these two on Ebay for $45. Don't know if that's good or bad. These are my first two RL tokens and I always liked the Wizard. Looked for about a year before I found one. They both have the red printed COA but the second piece has a number written on the COA, 6013. Any known mintages on these?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file