Options

My town is on fire

Comments

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

That`s crazy... All the best to you!

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please let me know if you need anything once you reach the hotel. I will do my best to send them ASAP.

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG, praying for you and your family Joe.
    Stay safe!

Dave

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calif. has been in a bad drought this year. My mom lives up in the valley and hasn't seen rain in months. Be safe my friend!

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Wish you the best and sending prayers.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a tragedy. I'm glad you are OK, and I hope your property will be spared the destruction. We will be thinking of you

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, nightmare scenario - packing up a few coins you can carry and trying to outrace the flames!
    Hopefully you will have some luck and your place won't burn down.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Updated 27 minutes ago

OROVILLE, CALIF.
    The Latest on California wildfires (all times local):

7:45 p.m.

A fire official says the Northern California town of Paradise has been "pretty much" destroyed.

CalFire Capt. Scott McLean says a wind-whipped wildfire destroyed thousands of structures but he said they won't have an exact count until they can get into the area.
    The town of about 27,000 people 180 miles (290 kilometers) northeast of San Francisco was evacuated. An Associated Press photographer found businesses and homes leveled or in flames, including a liquor store and gas station.

6:45 p.m.

Many people who fled a Northern California town to escape a wildfire say they don't know whether their homes survived.

The police chief in the town of Paradise, Eric Reinbold, was in that group. Reinbold said Thursday he lives in the middle of town and doesn't know if his house is standing.

The town of about 27,000 people 180 miles (290 kilometers) northeast of San Francisco was evacuated. An Associated Press photographer found businesses and homes leveled or in flames, including a liquor store and gas station. A California fire official says he has reports of several hundred structures that have been destroyed, but officials say they won't have an exact count until they can get into the area.

6 p.m.

A police officer who helped residents escape a wildfire bearing down on a Northern California town says the town has been devastated.

Officer Mark Bass said he returned to the town of Paradise on Thursday to find offices, large stores and restaurants leveled or burning. The town of about 27,000 people is 180 miles (290 kilometers) northeast of San Francisco.

Bass is an officer in the nearby town of Chico.

Another police officer in Chico, John Barker, said many elderly people live in Paradise and some are immobile. People posted photos on Twitter of missing seniors.

Barker said he was briefly trapped by fire while trying to get people out, with flames across the road in front of him and behind him.

5:45 p.m.

Officials are describing a harrowing effort to rescue patients from a hospital in a Northern California town ravaged by wildfire.

Butte County Supervisor Doug Teeter said he was on a bulldozer that pushed cars out of the way Thursday to get to the Adventist Health Feather River Hospital in the town of Paradise. When he arrived there, patients were out in the front of the emergency room, where the roof had caught fire. The town of about 27,000 people is 180 miles (290 kilometers) northeast of San Francisco.

He said sheriff's deputies helped patients evacuate. Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said some people at the hospital were trapped in a tunnel.

Hospital spokeswoman Jill Kinney said all patients were evacuated.

5 p.m.

A California fire official says he has reports of several hundred structures that have been destroyed in a Northern California town ravaged by a wildfire, but officials say they won't have an exact count until they can get into the area.

Butte County CalFire Chief Darren Read said Thursday the destruction in the town of Paradise could be upward of a thousand structures. Officials have ordered the town of about 27,000 people 180 miles (290 kilometers) northeast of San Francisco to evacuate.

An AP photographer found businesses and homes leveled or in flames, including a liquor store and gas station.

Acting California Gov. Gavin Newsom has declared a state of emergency in the area.

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

LIFE is the most important. All else, as tough as it may seem, can be replaced.

Take care of your and yours!! Will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences TOTALLY to your community. CA obviously needs a way to better deal with these events. Here in Alaska, we get many annual destructive fire events and are trying to plan fire-breaks accordingly (with back-burns). I know this is not always practical but how else will you defend??? Best wishes to all.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap! Wishing you, your family, and your coins the best of luck to get through this.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, I feel for you. I live in Santa Rosa and understand what you're going through. If you need anything reach out to me. Good luck and God speed.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! Be safe!! Everything else is just "stuff" that can be replaced... hoping the best for you and your family!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Please stay safe. I hope you will be safe enough to let us know that you are alright when you arrive to the hotel and tomorrow, please keep us updated and I will keep you in my prayers.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Incredibly sad and scary. Certainly puts things into perspective about what matters in life. So very glad you and your family escaped unharmed. Thoughts and prayers sent out to you and all affected by this tragedy.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear this, best wishes.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be safe, and best wishes that all turns out well.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck to you and your family!!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is terrible. I hope all is ok at your place. Glad you all got out safe. Keep us posted when you can.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

My heart breaks for you and your family Joe. I’m glad you’re safe. I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It sounds like a miracle you were able to escape. Hoping for another that you’re house stays intact.

• Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Rooting for you bro, stay out of the fires.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's terrible! Hope your family and you are safe. I'd be sick with worry about my home. Rain would be great right about now.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh gosh, Joe I didn't see this until just now. The most important thing is you were able to get out. Prayers will be sent out that your home and school survive. Take care of yourself.

Jeff

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate to hear that Joe. At least your safe and that's all that matters. Prayers sent to you good folks.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crap on a stick. I saw this in the news. I’m sad you are facing it. Let us know if there is anything to help with.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay Safe Joe, I'm on edge tonight as well out here in Chatsworth, it literally has been one hell of a day with everything going on

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

good luck

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Here in Alaska, we get many annual destructive fire events and are trying to plan fire-breaks accordingly (with back-burns). I know this is not always practical but how else will you defend??? Best wishes to all.

I owned a ranch in N. California until late 2005, every early summer the neighbours and I would coordinate having a fire break graded around the perimeter of our properties and also on the interior boundaries. But we always had one person out of the 8 property owners that refused(it'll never happen here etc, what about the expense on and on) So the rest of us went ahead and had the breaks graded and grass cut etc and left that one nincompoop out. I always thought if a fire broke out it would be at nincompoops.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, its not sounding good at all for this town. Reading some of the stories now.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insane photographs. hope everyone got out ok.

• Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe, I have thought about you and your family constantly since this fire started. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family my friend.

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Safety first. These material things are not as relevant, when life hangs in the balance. Best to you, and your entire community. So much for "fun". Trying times vs. buying trimes. :open_mouth:

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh My God Joe,
    Please stay safe.
    You have the family and the pets and yourself, thank God.
    Stay safe old friend.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is profoundly sad. I wish you all the best.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reports of grid-lock, people abandoning their cars and "making a run for it."

This is seriously frightening news.
    As a person from a non-fire state, it's hard to wrap my mind around it.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry, Joe. But grateful everyone got out safely. At least you're all in this together. All the best.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot imaging what's going thru your mind:(

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe, when can you venture back?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

May God bless you all and protect you. As awful as you feel now, your property can be replaced but you cannot. Take care my friend and hopefully your safe will prevail. You will be in our prayers.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes... Glad you got out and hoping the best for you! :)

Please give us an update when you are allowed to return.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woke up this am to the radio news that Paradise was just about burned up. I am so glad that you and your family found a place to stay, and I hope that your homes were spared.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of this disaster Joe... Happy you and yours are safe.... Hoping for the best for what you left behind... sometimes things survive. Glad you took your pets...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Stay safe, and I hope for the best for you and your family.
    Bob

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this in the news, then I read your post. Glad you made it out safely. Hang in there!

• Options
    bjaminbjamin Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Good luck, hope everything turns out as best as it can possibly be for you and your town.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Thousand Oaks fire is growing,
    and heading west toward Malibu.

They've had a rough week, starting
    with the shooting/killing at the
    Boarderline Bar in 1,000 Oaks.

Another fire has just broke out at
    Griffith Park, which is NorthEast-ish
    of Hollywood.

The TV is showing pretty unbelieable
    Huge plumes of smoke rising up
    from the Thousand Oaks Fire - unbelievable,
    but unfortunately fairly common in this
    general area.

Hope everyone there, and their animals,
    (and coins) are safe.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Be safe and hope everything works out

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

So sorry to hear this CHD. Praying for a good outcome for you and your family. At least you're safe, that's a huge blessing. Please keep us updated as things slow down for you.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file