Home U.S. Coin Forum

My town is on fire

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe.

If you know any law enforcement officer in Butte county (a deputy sheriff maybe), contact him or her and tell them about the safe in your home.

Maybe when the fire is out he or she can stop by and do something to secure it for you while you head home before bad guys show up to snoop around and steal stuff.

• NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Little bit late for best wishes but good to hear you and your family got out safely. I can smell smoke from where I live about 90 miles south of you. Some scary fire there for sure.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

Joe

Be safe and don't worry about thanking us (you can do that later).

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

sorry this happening @crazyhounddog I hope the damage is minimal and the people of the town are all safe.
    Glad you and the pups got out ok

all around collector of many fine things

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Five dead so far, all by cars trying to get out.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't realize the extent of this thing til today. I live down Roseville way and the whole sky was brown this morning.
    Signs up on northbound 65 saying almost not to bother trying to go north.
    Bad stuff. :'(:#

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has the source/cause been identified?

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Campfire run amuck is what was reported here.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so sorry to hear this...I hope, and pray for better days for your community, you, and your family.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

God bless you Joe and all the others affected by this fire. In my prayers tonight, stay strong Hounddog.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very shocked and saddened to hear this news.

Stay safe, Joe and family.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 5:42PM

@crazyhounddog said:
    I’ll never forget while I was frantically loading up our vehicles for our escape hearing propane tanks exploding and get closer at every boom.

So true. That's the sound I vividly recall hearing as we were fleeing the Santa Rosa fire a year ago at 3am. Flames in the rear view mirror, to one side and explosions everywhere. Surreal. Be assured though, normalcy will return. It will take a long time and there are tough days ahead but recovery is at the end of the tunnel. You and yours are alive and that's all that matters.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The houses where lost but you all have EACH OTHER. I am at a loss for words...

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 6:04PM

I have to give you a lot of props Joe. :|

You had the composer to take a few images and post them along with a few of your thoughts about your terrible situation for us to see, I on the other hand would be in panic mode somewhere in "Crazy Town".
    God bless you and your family Joe.

Your Pal

Glad to hear you and your family are safe. That is the main thing.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

What kind of school do you have?

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 8:03PM

@SanctionII said:
    Joe.

If you know any law enforcement officer in Butte county (a deputy sheriff maybe), contact him or her and tell them about the safe in your home.

Maybe when the fire is out he or she can stop by and do something to secure it for you while you head home before bad guys show up to snoop around and steal stuff.

My suggestion is to contact national guards headquarter closest to the zoning since acting California Gov. Gavin Newsom had declared a state of emergency in the area. Speaking from my own experiences of duties in various natural disasters and terrorist attacks, e.g. Hurricane Andrew, Olympic bombing GA , tornado in upstate NY and 911 attack, the military units would mainly handled the security of the area, preventing looting and cleaning out the debris while local enforcement and fire fighters focused on other urgent matters.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank God you all made it out Joe. I hear there was a car with 5 people inside that were not so lucky. This will be one of the most challenging times of your life, but I have no doubt whatsoever that you and your family will pull through this horrible event even stronger than ever. You are already demonstrating that strength with your updates to us here. I wish you the best of luck my friend.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at the Dublin, Cal. Bart station this afternoon. Took this photo of the sun in the sky. Very smokey and hazy from winds blowing the smoke from the Butte county fires into the Bay Area.

• toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Haven't been online for a couple of days. Sorry to hear this but glad you are all ok. Prayers for all.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad ya'll guys made it out okay! I guess another door will be opening very soon - Good luck

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you got out and wish you the best. I can't even imagine what it's like to go through something like this. So much loss. We just got our first snowfall here in the northeast, I guess I won't complain.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

CHD, be strong, your loved ones are safe, and you will have new opportunities. Think of the positive that you got to live in a special place for a while and helped alot of kids over the years at your school. I feel for your animals that probably did not make it out.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are heart broken to see such destruction and glad for your safety. Today one of our coworkers/coin EE lost 2 pets and the entire house they rented down here in FL. They are young couple who rented and we found out homeowner had no insurance & neither did EE. She is also expecting her 2nd child. Devastating catastrophic. Fundraiser are up and we are all glad that they safe. Fire is so destructive. Prayer for all!

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Apropos what mustangmanbob said, we have USAA homeowners insurance and they are great! Our area got hit by a bad hail storm last May and we needed a new roof. Got a very fast adjustment and settlement and got a new roof within about six weeks because we were able to hire a roofer before they got busy while everybody else was waiting for their settlement. Here it is November and four houses within 100 yards of me were being re-roofed this Thursday and Friday!

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    Lesson learned, back to coins, is carry cash. Many of the stores were open, running off generators, etc. but their point to point processing was down, so they could only accept cash. No credit cards, apple pay, etc. When I go on disaster relief teams, I always cash a good chunk of cash and coins, as making change is difficult in an area that instantly transforms back to a cash only society.

First, good luck to @crazyhounddog and all others caught up in this. I guess this was a fast moving fire. (40 to 60mph winds?)

Second, this is why I semi-maintain a bug-out bag. A SHTF moment isn't (necessarily) the Zombie Apocalypse. Some extra cash, resources and even that extra change of clothes might be a welcome thing if you have to leave in a hurry. If you can't get back to your house, small tools like a Leatherman or a Swiss Army knife can do wonders, and things like a deck of cards can help pass the time...

I doubt I'll ever really need mine, but hey, you never know when you'll find that pod in your basement. :smile:

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Wow that's tough. Did you get your ammo and other stuff out ?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

you and everyone please be safe and all the best to everyone. best wishes john

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope everyone is doing well including the pups.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Al21Al21 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

CHD, Please don't leave valuables in your cars. Last year in the Sonoma Co. fires, cars of many fire victims were broken into. Take care

Successful BST transactions with WTCG, NH48400, evil empire,
    meltdown, timrutnat, bumanchu, 2ndCharter, rpw, AgBlox, indiananationals, yellowkid, RGJohn, fishteeth, rkfish, Ponyexpress8, kalshacon, Tdec1000, Coinlieutenant, SamByrd, Coppercolor
  • @Hemispherical said:
    Has the source/cause been identified?

Tree branch fell on Powerlin> @crazyhounddog said:

My wife has her masters degree in early childhood education. It started out as a daycare center but quickly turned into much more. Over 90 kids enrolled with a waiting list. She takes infants all the way up to 12 years old. We have a horse, goats, chickens, a tortoise and ducks. Many others inside I can’t remember. It’s a large school on 3 acres and beautiful. My wife and I know a lot of good folk in our town. I coached little league for about 14 years up in Paradise. My son and and my beautiful daughter. My daughter took us all the way to sectionals along with a great team behind her coached and managed by myself. It was softball fast pitch and my little girl could whistle those balls in there too. Many no hitters under her belt and was a sensation. No girls fast pitch team in Paradise has ever gone that far. I love the game and always have. I played baseball though ;) My wife cared for a boy for several years that went to the NFL and played for the Philadelphia Eagles.
    We loved our beautiful little town but now I hear 99% of its is gone now. We still can not find out anything on our house or school. Like a fool I even tried calling the Paradise police but of course all lines are down. We have no idea when we’ll be able to return but I’m sure it’s not going to be for a while as it’s only 5% contained and growing.
    Again I want to thank all of you for the well wishes and the support and prayers. It is very well received and appreciated. ❤️
    Joe Best and family

Contact me if you need anything, even a place to rest! I'm so glad you guys are ok. I was so worried about you❣❣

• OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

That's awful, makes my stomach churn just reading your updates. As many others have said you and your family are safe and that's the top priority. I hope everything goes as well as it can.

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this. As you know, family is most important. Stay strong and sending positive thoughts and wishes.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck on everything. Glad you and your family are safe, and hope the safe holds up.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

just got word we lost our home. Both of my kids lost their home too along with our school.
    Not good news.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 3:19PM

Edit:

Damn. I’m trying to think of something uplifting or helpful to say and it all seems pointless next to your family and community’s loss. I’m so sorry.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 3:37PM

@crazyhounddog said:
    just got word we lost our home. Both of my kids lost their home too along with our school.
    Not good news.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm so glad you all got out with your lives. That is the most important thing.

I can't imagine what being in that situation would be like but I think about it often, more than I would like to. I've added a photo I took last night a few hundred miles away.

I just donated to the GoFundMe campaign to help. Stay safe and God bless.

• ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. You've been a great friend to me and so many on the forum. My hope for you and your family is a quick and full recovery to a sense of normalcy. Everyday will be a bit less painful. I'm thinking about you and yours my friend ~ Bill

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to think of something to say and I'm speechless which doesnt happen often! Im so sorry to hear this. The best part of all of this is your family is safe and together and it sounds like you are all very close and will all be able to work through this together. If you need anything I'm here!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 3:44PM

Yesterday morning from my back porch I saw a smoke cloud. I thought it was 15-30 miles away. Living here all my life I'm a pretty good judge, or so I thought, of figuring out where the fire is looking from my hillside vantage point. Wrong. The cloud was over 80 miles away. It was the Ventura fire. Over 80 miles away!!!!!! Never seen anything like it. Today, Saturday, the ash is falling around here and the smell of smoke is everywhere. Unbelievable.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...this is so Eff’ed up I can’t even begin to imagine how you are feeling right now...it’s like book of Job bad. I am thinking of you and yours and I pray you guys and your entire town find your way back into the Good Life. God Bless

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, and Mrs. Hydrant has relatives up around Paradise and Chico. They are gold miners. They have lived there since the gold rush of 1849. NOBODY has seen anything like this before. At least not in family lore. This is different. It's horrible.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Yesterday morning from my back porch I saw a smoke cloud. I thought it was 15-30 miles away. Living here all my life I'm a pretty good judge, or so I thought, of figuring out where the fire is looking from my hillside vantage point. Wrong. The cloud was over 80 miles away. It was the Ventura fire. Over 80 miles away!!!!!! Never seen anything like it. Today, Saturday, the ash is falling around here and the smell of smoke is everywhere. Unbelievable.

The smoke has finally hit Camarillo. It’s been nasty today. Not snowing ashes, yet. We get ash drifts here, snow drifts elsewhere. Our Conejo mountains have burned into Malibu now...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file