Home U.S. Coin Forum

My town is on fire

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    just got word we lost our home. Both of my kids lost their home too along with our school.
    Not good news.

😪

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Yes, and Mrs. Hydrant has relatives up around Paradise and Chico. They are gold miners. They have lived there since the gold rush of 1849. NOBODY has seen anything like this before. At least not in family lore. This is different. It's horrible.

I have never seen a fire move so fast. It truly was hell on earth. The whole town is gone.
    Thank you to all for the prayers.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a rough overlay of a Google Earth base image (2018) of Paradise, CA and vicinity, and a NASA image of the Camp Fire from Nov 8. Ground reports indicate that about 99% of all structures in Paradise were destroyed. :(

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 7:38PM

Out of curiosity, is there any information on the 1% that survived?

Here's an aerated concrete house that was the only one standing after the 1993 Laguna Beach wildfire.

http://greenmonsterhouses.com/ac_photos

It looks pretty much the same today:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beach/1527-Tahiti-Ave-92651/home/4886035

Here's a house that survived Hurricane Michael this year:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6281849/Florida-home-survived-Hurricane-Michael-built-survive-big-one.html

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 4:29PM

@Hemispherical said:

@crazyhounddog said:
    just got word we lost our home. Both of my kids lost their home too along with our school.
    Not good news.

😪

I'm so sorry for you and your family. I saw the pictures of Paradise and my soul was troubled. We keep 4 cattle troughs full of water around our house and we have gasoline powered pumps. ALWAYS. I don't think it would have done any good under the circumstances today. Just get out and pray. The wind, the heat.....just get out. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's California. Nothing good is happening here. Maybe it's a sign.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe.

I am very sorry that you, your wife and your kids lost your homes and your school. Thankfully you and yours got out without physical injury.

My heart also goes out to everyone in your town.

Stay safe and let's us know of new developments. Hopefully your safe survived the fire and will be there when you return.

Kevin

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I am so sorry to hear this and all I can say is that I wish the best for you, your family and all of your friends and neighbors. Bless you all.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forest management does not seem to exist anymore. Don't know if it's because of tree huggers or lack of money or just lack of interest. Years ago logging was a big business in CA. Trees are a renewable resource and if you ever saw what logging looked like (from the air) you would understand how logging prevented many, many fires. The plots logged were designed also as fire breaks.
    This is no longer done. The pine bark beetles killed and are still killing billions of trees that just become standing matchsticks. Decades ago the Forest Service and just plain old folks like you and me, would go out into the forest and harvest dead standing trees. We cut them down and used them as fuel for the home. That of course is a no no today and I understand why. But, they can still be harvested for lumber and wood chipped for landscaping. They should not be left to fuel the fires of today. Total mismanagement is my opinion.
    When I lived in Colorado it was required to cut all fuels back from every home in our community. Kind of like they do in Lake Tahoe. Keeps the fire from actually touching you home. We were required to have roof material that could not burn.
    People just don't understand that brush can be as deadly as trees. An acre of scrub oak (California Oak, et) will burn with the energy of an atomic bomb. Deadly stuff.
    Somehow I hope that Paradise can rebuilt and be better off for all. I know it won't be easy or cheap but it can be done. Be strong all you Californians......stand together and rebuild!

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one home standing in the Laguna Beach fire was the only one with a clay tile roof.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 5:42PM

@hammer1 said:
    The one home standing in the Laguna Beach fire was the only one with a clay tile roof.

That and much more. I live in California and while I've been lucky to have avoided fires so far, I've been thinking of how to survive them more. People I know that aren't tied down have started to move, one up to Seattle.

Here's some info on the Laguna Beach house. The builder and owner was motivated by surviving an apartment fire when he was 8.

https://people.com/archive/taking-the-heat-vol-42-no-21/

It seemed like a miracle—to everyone except the man who owned the house, To Bui, 42, a Vietnamese-born civil engineer. “I always knew my house would be safe,” he says. “I believed in it because I built it with my own hands. I wanted to make it fireproof, earthquake-proof and landslide-proof.”

His caution was grounded in experience. He grew up in Vietnam and has vivid memories of his family fleeing their burning apartment complex when he was 8. After living 19 years in Germany, Bui came to the U.S. in 1989 with his German wife, Doris Bender, 44, and their four children. For two years, using 8350,000 in materials, he built the four-bedroom fortress, complete with thick walls, double-paned windows, sealed eaves, a concrete-tile roof and so much insulation that “everybody thought I was crazy,” says Bui.

Everybody except the firefighters—and Bui’s wife. Even with blazing houses on either side, firemen saw that the Bui house had a chance. “Mr. Bui made it defensible,” says Battalion Chief Ron Blaul of the Orange County Fire Department, “and we defended Doris believes it all boils down to her husband’s unflagging perfectionism. “He is a person who must do everything right, better than 100 percent,” she says.

edited November 10, 2018 5:51PM

A U and A G. Everything you say is correct. But today common sense is lacking. The government code enforcement agencies PREVENT home owners from taking measures to protect their rural property in California. The native plant growth is more important than the lives and property of the land owners. Californians are by law not allowed to clear their property from flammable brush in many cases. It's crazy. It's California.

Don't believe me. One word......MANZANITA!!!!!!

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be safe HoundDog! I didn't know you lived up that way.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Forest management does not seem to exist anymore. Don't know if it's because of tree huggers or lack of money or just lack of interest. Years ago logging was a big business in CA. Trees are a renewable resource and if you ever saw what logging looked like (from the air) you would understand how logging prevented many, many fires. The plots logged were designed also as fire breaks.
    This is no longer done. The pine bark beetles killed and are still killing billions of trees that just become standing matchsticks. Decades ago the Forest Service and just plain old folks like you and me, would go out into the forest and harvest dead standing trees. We cut them down and used them as fuel for the home. That of course is a no no today and I understand why. But, they can still be harvested for lumber and wood chipped for landscaping. They should not be left to fuel the fires of today. Total mismanagement is my opinion.
    When I lived in Colorado it was required to cut all fuels back from every home in our community. Kind of like they do in Lake Tahoe. Keeps the fire from actually touching you home. We were required to have roof material that could not burn.
    People just don't understand that brush can be as deadly as trees. An acre of scrub oak (California Oak, et) will burn with the energy of an atomic bomb. Deadly stuff.
    Somehow I hope that Paradise can rebuilt and be better off for all. I know it won't be easy or cheap but it can be done. Be strong all you Californians......stand together and rebuild!

bob

We have a similar problem with the streams in our area. Flash flooding is happening quite often but the permits to allow debris to be removed from the streams and allow some channeling are extremely hard to obtain. In the mean time people clean up and begin again, only to have it reoccur less than a decade later. Still the permits are withheld except for the most extreme cases like bridge and road repair.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn Joe, so sorry for your family and glad you are safe. Did you head north or south. I am 90 miles south and it is nasty here with smoke, I cant imagine your drive out. I had seem some footage and stories from the hospitals and it is all so scary.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even good fire management can't stop a fire like that.
    You can't stop a fire that's driven by a strong wind, or one that is burning uphill.
    It will just burn anything in its path, be that trees, grass, houses, etc. and send the embers over any firebreaks.

• yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I'm very sorry to hear all this but thankful that you and your family made it out safely. Not sure what to say other than wish you, your family, and the Paradise community the best going forward. Be safe.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 8:47PM

<3 My prayers are with you and your family <3

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so very sorry for you, CHD. I hope that you are back on your feet sooner than expected. In the meanwhile, we keep plugging away with the donations and keep you in our thoughts. May God Bless you and your family

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Not good news.

OMG!!!

I can not imagine your pain.

Sounds like that home has a beautiful history, and wonderful memories. The school too, almost sinful to hear it burnt down.

The memories will never die I bet.

I wish you all the best.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so sorry to hear this

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the GoFundMe page discussed in the thread at the top of the page. :)

No gift is too small ..... thoughts and prayers are gifts in itself

• ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been out of town for a few days but I’ve been following this thread a bit. I’m so sorry CHD. Of course, I’m thankful your family is safe. That’s the most important.

I’m sure it’s nothing but pain now, but lots of good will eventually come of it too. Tragedy has a way of bringing loved ones closer together and reminding us of what’s truly important. When I was a boy my entire town was destroyed by a dam that failed. It was rebuilt, of course, and now it’s one of the nicest places imaginable. Rebirth after fires takes a while, but it’s pretty neat to watch. I’m sure you’ll have lost treasured photos and other irreplaceable items. Nothing will fix that. My heart goes out to you. Be safe and best of luck adjusting to the new normal.

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is so very sad to hear, Joe. I'm so glad you all got out and no one was injured. Folks here in SoCal are dealing with terrible fires as well, but nothing compared to what your town has just been through. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear about this. Seems like every year there are terrible fires out there. Glad all of your immediate family is safe.

Trade $'s

"Paradise Lost" on GoFundMe is still open for a few more days ..... a dollar or two would greatly help <3

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

Very very sorry for all this Joe. Big prayers headed your way. Hang tight, storms don't last forever.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been markedly sickened and just plain grossed out by the images and news of so many people’s homes on fire and wiped out. The horrors of lives lost. I can’t get interested in coins right now and spending money on them feels kinda soulless and stupid. How to find joy knowing so many are suffering and try to imagine what it would feel like if it were my family. Just been sitting and hanging with my kids trying to give them my full attention.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe we are praying and we are glad you are all safe. Sorry to hear about the homes. Prayers for quick rebuild.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@Kkathyl said:
    Joe we are praying and we are glad you are all safe. Sorry to hear about the homes. Prayers for quick rebuild.

Thank you sweetheart.
    Thank you to all, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog I'm glad to see you posting. How are you doing today? I still can't believe what happened there! I see it on the news and my heart is heavy for all those affected!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you nothing but the very best!

@asheland said:
    I wish you nothing but the very best!

Thank you <3

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe

Please message me.

Thanks.
    Ken

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog

I am glad that you and the family continue to be safe.

Keep your chin up!

The way ahead appears bleak but it will strengthen everyone’s bond with family, friends, and community.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so sorry to hear this.
    I hope you can get back to your property soon. I'm glad that your family is safe.

edited November 12, 2018 3:45PM

Spellcheck is a disaster. Sorry.

<3 $6800 <3

I'll match any contributions today to get us 7K B)

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2018 8:16PM

Hey Joe,

Dumb question. Did your safe make it through, or was it toast too? Silly curiosity for me, but I'm really interested. Or, if it did survive, did the material on the inside survive, or did it melt? Have you been able to go back yet to see if you can salvage anything? I know these are the LAST things on your mind, but if you notice, it would be an interesting bit to know.

@Paradisefound -- I hope it stays open through next weekend, since I'm doing a show and dropping in 10% of my profits. I didn't think these things have an expiration date? If it closes before then, please let me know, and I'll just do an estimation.

Best,
    Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have had several friends go through total home losses in the Dallas area. Fire for some, tornadoes for other. For several of them, they just gave up, and took a total loss. For example, the home was insured for $400.000 with a contents replacement of 60%, outbuildings of 5%. So they got a check for $400,000 for the house, $240K for the contents, $15K for the garden shed and contents.

They worked with their credit card company to pull receipts for the last 4 years or so, and used pictures from the cloud of their house interior. They did not have to detail themselves to death, as they could show the quantity of things purchased and TYPE (Walmart versus Nordstrom ) etc.

Several had riders on their policies, as insurance (in Texas, do not know about California) has limits. For example, coin collections are limited to $500 unless separate insurance is purchased. Guns was $500, jewelry was $1000, etc.

Terms are critical I know this is not California, but this is an example from Texas) :

Most homeowners policies in Texas include the following coverages:

Dwelling pays if your house is damaged or destroyed by a covered loss.
    Personal property pays if the items in your house (such as furniture, clothing, and appliances) are damaged, stolen, or destroyed.
    Other structures pays to repair or rebuild structures not attached to your house, such as detached garages, storage sheds, and fences.
    Loss of use pays your additional living expenses (housing, food, and other essential expenses) if you have to temporarily move because of damage to your house from a covered loss. Your policy will pay either a percentage of the amount of your dwelling coverage (typically 10 to 20 percent) or for a specific period after the loss (such as 24 months).
    Personal liability pays to defend you in court against lawsuits and provides coverage if you are found legally responsible for someone else's injury or property damage.
    Medical payments pays the medical bills of people hurt on your property. It might also pay for some injuries that happen away from your home, such as your dog biting someone at the park. A basic homeowners policy pays $500 in medical bills, but you may buy up to $5,000 in medical payments coverage.

For contents:

Policies typically provide replacement cost or actual cash value coverage:

Replacement cost is what you would pay to rebuild or repair your home, based on current construction costs. Replacement cost is different from market value and doesn't include the value of your land. Ask your insurance company if you aren't sure how much it would cost to rebuild your house.

Actual cash value is what you would pay to rebuild or replace your property minus depreciation. Depreciation is a decrease in value due to wear and tear or age. If your home is destroyed and you only have actual cash value coverage, the insurance company will not pay enough to completely rebuild your home.

Again, I know it is not California, but the Texas Website make it pretty easy to understand what is and what is not covered:

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/cb025.html

I sure California has their own somewhere.

tagging @jesbroken :) to keep the fund open a bit longer?

@SurfinxHI ..... I hope your generosity be returned to you ten folds <3 GBU my friend!!!!!!

@SurfinxHI said:
    Hey Joe,

Dumb question. Did your safe make it through, or was it toast too? Silly curiosity for me, but I'm really interested. Or, if it did survive, did the material on the inside survive, or did it melt? Have you been able to go back yet to see if you can salvage anything? I know these are the LAST things on your mind, but if you notice, it would be an interesting bit to know.

@Paradisefound -- I hope it stays open through next weekend, since I'm doing a show and dropping in 10% of my profits. I didn't think these things have an expiration date? If it closes before then, please let me know, and I'll just do an estimation.

Best,
    Surf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file