Home Sports Talk

Well the Cowboys season is over at 11-7.......not bad for the start we had......GO COWBOYS!!!

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    @stevek All I can say is Garrett makes Reid look like a genius!

Andy Reid has a NFL career head coaching record of 191-121. That's not shabby by any means.

As a head coach, Reid got to one Super Bowl with the Eagles, that he lost. However he certainly is capable of getting to another Super Bowl now that he's got Patrick Mahomes as QB, an emerging star as you know.

Reid does have a Super Bowl ring as QB coach when the Packers won it back in the 1997 season with Brett Favre. Reid left Green Bay after that season to join the Eagles as head coach, and Favre never again won a Super Bowl.

Favre spoke very highly of Reid after winning that Super Bowl which helped Reid get the job with the Eagles, despite the fact that Reid had never been a head coach, OC or DC in the NFL, and wasn't even ever a head coach in college.

If Reid does get to another Super Bowl this time with Mahomes, and his team is down by 4 points with less than a minute to go in the game, Reid might be better off letting Mahomes call his own plays rather than Reid screwing it up with stupid play calls. LOL

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@bronco2078 said:
    Mahomes is nearly as good as Romo andy Reed is about the same as Garrett. Higher highs than Garrett but lows that will crush a fan

Bronco- Why don't you go to the Chiefs games and film Mahomes for all the coaches around the league.
    Apparently they still don't have enough film on him to stop him like you said would happen.

And welcome aboard Dimeman- you have made a wise choice.

I wasn't running Mahomes down I was pumping the tires on Romo . Dimeman doesn't realize that Tony was a pretty decent QB stuck on a terrible team for years

Actually Reid's main problem always seemed to be clock management. He is a good technical coach but the time issues always trip him up.

He is too high strung and at the same time too laid back. Of course for people watching we always know afterward he screwed up and how but thats not very useful . If he screws up time management and nothing bad happens no one talks about it the next day but he gets killed when it costs them. He seems incapable of learning from his mistakes

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Well, last night was the last straw.......loosing to a crap team. I just can't take any more!

I have been a die hard fan since 1960....that's 59 years. 1960 thru 1995 were great. Then came the Coach of the month club and the QB of the month club. Then came the Tony "the loser" Romo years and the Garrett years. I just can't take any more. I have given these idiots 23 years to be relevant. They will NEVER be good again with Jerry Jones as the owner. There was a little hope in 2016 when Tony "the loser" Romo went down and Prescott took the team to a 13-3 season only to lose to the Packers in the first game in the playoffs. I think the bye week hurt them and they spotted the Packers 21 points and then couldn't quite make it back. Since then Prescott has turned into a dirtbag. He is not even a average QB now. Sooooooooooo.........

I can't stand Jerry and his "yes" man Garrett.
    The DC and OC are a couple of baboons.
    If I see them run Zeke up the middle on 1st down one more time.......I WILL PUKE!!!!!!! I mean literally PUKE!!!!!!

SO BYE BYE COWBOYS!!!!

HELLO KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!!!!

Dimeman...your team's performance over the years:

Dallas Cowboys...

Championships

League championships (5)

Super Bowl championships (5)
    1971 (VI), 1977 (XII), 1992 (XXVII), 1993 (XXVIII), 1995 (XXX)

Conference championships (10)
    NFL Eastern: 1966, 1967
    NFC: 1970, 1971, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1992, 1993, 1995

Division championships (22)
    NFL Capitol: 1967, 1968, 1969
    NFC East: 1970, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1985, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016

Playoff appearances (32)
    NFL: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016**

Looks like a pretty good record to me. Hey, it's only football, no more, no less...go with the floe.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

Good choice !
    We would not want you to choose the Patriots or Red Sox as they are both doing fine without you routing for them.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how many TDs does Dez score in that Saints-Cowboys game? I'm gonna go with 2.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    So how many TDs does Dez score in that Saints-Cowboys game? I'm gonna go with 2.

I hope it's 5 or 6. And he proves yet again how big an idiot Jerry Jones is!!!

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

I hope it's 5 or 6. And he proves yet again how big an idiot Jerry Jones is!!!

You just know that to Dez this game will probably be the biggest of his career.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Well, last night was the last straw.......loosing to a crap team. I just can't take any more!

I have been a die hard fan since 1960....that's 59 years. 1960 thru 1995 were great. Then came the Coach of the month club and the QB of the month club. Then came the Tony "the loser" Romo years and the Garrett years. I just can't take any more. I have given these idiots 23 years to be relevant. They will NEVER be good again with Jerry Jones as the owner. There was a little hope in 2016 when Tony "the loser" Romo went down and Prescott took the team to a 13-3 season only to lose to the Packers in the first game in the playoffs. I think the bye week hurt them and they spotted the Packers 21 points and then couldn't quite make it back. Since then Prescott has turned into a dirtbag. He is not even a average QB now. Sooooooooooo.........

I can't stand Jerry and his "yes" man Garrett.
    The DC and OC are a couple of baboons.
    If I see them run Zeke up the middle on 1st down one more time.......I WILL PUKE!!!!!!! I mean literally PUKE!!!!!!

SO BYE BYE COWBOYS!!!!

HELLO KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!!!!

Dimeman...your team's performance over the years:

Dallas Cowboys...

Championships

League championships (5)

Super Bowl championships (5)
    1971 (VI), 1977 (XII), 1992 (XXVII), 1993 (XXVIII), 1995 (XXX)

Conference championships (10)
    NFL Eastern: 1966, 1967
    NFC: 1970, 1971, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1992, 1993, 1995

Division championships (22)
    NFL Capitol: 1967, 1968, 1969
    NFC East: 1970, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1985, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016

Playoff appearances (32)
    NFL: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016**

Looks like a pretty good record to me. Hey, it's only football, no more, no less...go with the floe.

The problem is all of this was done over 23 years ago.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

Dez will probably be irrelevant, 3 catches for 45 yards 0 TD.'s or something similar. Dez believes he is a much bigger deal than he really is

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Dez will probably be irrelevant, 3 catches for 45 yards 0 TD.'s or something similar. Dez believes he is a much bigger deal than he really is

Dez is not what he use to be, but who is! Dez and the guy from Detroit that retired several years ago were 2 of the best WR's ever. He can be much more that relevant against Dallas in a few weeks. I hope he tears them up.

And I hope Dallas continues to run Zeke up the middle on every freaking 1st down. It really fools NOBODY. The defense should put all 11 in the box because Prescott hasn't got the brains to change the play at the line!

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited November 7, 2018 11:41AM

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Dez thinking he's worth more money means nothing once he's on the field. This will be his SB and he'll go all out to stick it to Jerry Jones. This whole thing was never about him not being able to play anymore,it was all about Dallas not thinking he was worth the 12M he was due this season,which he wasn't.

In NO he's gonna get 3rd or 4th CBs covering him not the #1 CB on the opposing team like he had in Dallas.

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Dez thinking he's worth more money means nothing once he's on the field. This will be his SB and he'll go all out to stick it to Jerry Jones. This whole thing was never about him not being able to play anymore,it was all about Dallas not thinking he was worth the 12M he was due this season,which he wasn't.

In NO he's gonna get 3rd or 4th CBs covering him not the #1 CB on the opposing team like he had in Dallas.

I don't know what the average pay for a WR is now days...…...everyone is paid more than they deserve, but if they had kept him and fired the OC they would be 6-2 or 7-1 instead of 3-5.

That Dimeman is now doing more good smack against the Dallas Cowboys than me.

Does this mean I have been forced to relinquish my throne as the #1 Cowboys hater on CU? :'(

;)

@stevek said:

Does this mean I have been forced to relinquish my throne as the #1 Cowboys hater on CU? :'(

;)

I don't hate the Cowboys per say...………...just the owner and his crew.

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

;)

I don't hate the Cowboys per say...………...just the owner and his crew.

Well, that's a good start. B)

I just thought a nice pic of a happy, smiling
    Jerry Jones might be welcome in this thread

@stevek said:

He's a piece of work.

https://sports.yahoo.com/troy-aikman-calls-jerry-jones-cowboys-struggles-theres-lot-dysfunction-000137465.html

Troy Aikman calls out Jerry Jones for Cowboys struggles: 'There's a lot of dysfunction'

Troy Aikman is not shy about speaking his mind. But his strongest opinions are generally saved for harrumphing players having too much fun at the expense of his delicate football sensitivities.

On Tuesday, he took on a real target. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

The Fox football analyst and three-time Super Bowl champion quarterback of the Cowboys shared some ideas on how to fix the “dysfunction” in his former team and pointed to changes needed at the top.

“Go through the list [of coaches] and this team, over a long period of time, has been what it’s been,” Aikman told 1310 The Ticket. “It hasn’t always mattered who the head coach has been. So to me, if you’re asking me, I’d say there has to be a complete overhaul of the entire organization.

You just can’t simply replace head coaches and say, ‘Now it’s going to be better.’ No, it’s been shown that it’s not better. And you have to address how everything is being done.”

@stevek said:

Jerry looks like his just dropped a #2 in his depends.

@stevek I have read this and totally agree, but under Jerry (who is part of the problem) I can't see it happening. And that is what led to my move.

@stevek said:

My Preciousssssssssss

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 2:46AM

i took a flier on Dez on one of my fantasy teams, but the bar of expectations is low.

cons: he has lost 1.25 steps and can no longer separate the way he used to. that was quite evident the last time anyone saw him in pads. in addition, i've seen some of his workouts and he no longer looks 218 to me. i'd put him in the 230 range now, which will not help with said speed and agility.

pros: he has one of the most accurate passers in the history of the game pitching the rock to him. give Brees a foot or two and he'll put it in the breadbasket. besides, it's not like he's going to be expected to stretch the field in the first place. they have that badass Michael Thomas to do that. and, to Eric's point, the opposition's best corner will be nowhere near him.

unanswered questions: will Dez be willing to reinvent himself in the slot, a la Larry Fitz? if yes, then he's in an ideal situation playing for the ideal team. he could very well invigorate his teetering career. will he be a consummate team player and keep his mouth shut when he doesn't get the ball as often as he'd like? if no, he'll be gone quicker than he arrived. Sean Payton doesn't play that. go ask Adrian Peterson.

as for Dal-NO on 11/29, my only prediction is that Dime will be an entrenched Saints fan by the time the game is over

My only prediction for Dez playing for the Saints is just 2 touchdowns in the Cowboys game and that can be easily done with two red zone passes. All I was trying to say is don't underestimate the Revenge factor here. The Saints play 3 games before that Dallas game too so he also has some time to learn that Saints offense.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 5:16AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Dez is not what he use to be, but who is! Dez and the guy from Detroit that retired several years ago were 2 of the best WR's ever. He can be much more that relevant against Dallas in a few weeks. I hope he tears them up.

Dez had three 1000 yard seasons. C'mon.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I have seen the Dimeman posts through the years; all I thought when I saw this post was "Fake news!"

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 7:39AM

I've stuck it out with the terrible Redskins since Lombardi coached in 1969. Will always follow them no matter how bleak it continues to be. They typically lead the league in dysfunction and stupidity. I enjoy listening to the aftershows with the call in Redskin fans that moan and complain for 3 hours -- it's my therapy. I wonder if that is ultimate fandom or ultimate masochism?

Sonny Jurgensen in 1969 with the old old arrow helmets.

Vince Lombardi in 1969 in the season before he died of cancer. They finished 7-5-2 in 1969.

edited November 11, 2018 5:17AM

After a long week of thinking and PM'ing with some.....I have decided that after 58 years I can't drop Cowboys because they have a terrible owner and coaches.

I wanted to get this out here before the game with the Eagles.....just in case they win. I doubt that will happen, but if it does I don't want any na sayers saying I jumped back on the bandwagon after a win. I see the Cowboys at best 8-8 this season and probably more like 6-10. I will just have to hang in there until better ownership and management come along.

I'm going to a coin show today and will be gone until this evening. I imagine I will have a lot of flames thrown at me will I am gone. Look forward to it. ;)B)

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your relapse. ;) Old alliances die hard.

This Sunday night’s game might be a bellwether for both teams. If the Cowboys lose their home game with the Eagles, they will be 3-6, two games behind the Eagles and well on their way to a season of doldrums. If they win, they will be back in the division hunt, although it will be in a very small sandbox.

The National Conference East Division is pretty weak this year. Every year it seems like there is a “charity team” the wins a division with a mediocre record that gets an undeserved seat in the play-offs. This year the NFC East might give us that team.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beat the freaking Eagles!

Dimeman - i clearly see what you're trying to do here with this thread. Attempting to put some sort of bizarre reverse jinx, pin cushion hex, voodoo doll spell, calamity on the Eagles today so that the Cowboys win this game. An elaborate scheme by you which I don't think will work. But perhaps i simply cannot recognize masterful sorcery when I see it, wizardry beyond what any mere mortal could possibly comprehend, so maybe it all will work.

In any event, unless the Eagles fumble multiple times and Wentz throws multiple interceptions, the Eagles should win this football game.

Now excuse me while I run over to my favorite black magic shop to ask the nice store manager to recommend something that could possibly counteract your dastardly plan.

• Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    After a long week of thinking and PM'ing with some.....I have decided that after 58 years I can't drop Cowboys because they have a terrible owner and coaches.

I wanted to get this out here before the game with the Eagles.....just in case they win. I doubt that will happen, but if it does I don't want any na sayers saying I jumped back on the bandwagon after a win. I see the Cowboys at best 8-8 this season and probably more like 6-10. I will just have to hang in there until better ownership and management come along.

I'm going to a coin show today and will be gone until this evening. I imagine I will have a lot of flames thrown at me will I am gone. Look forward to it. ;)B)

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!

I think the Staubach talk got your feeling back.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2018 9:57AM

@DIMEMAN said:

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!

Can't ever flame a Vietnam Vet. You and I did our tour, not together, but we both know what that crap was like. So, I give you the uber-pass for life. I won't say "Happy Veteran's Day", that's just a misnomer to me, nothing about today is happy. Just remember our friends who are no longer here and many, many ten of thousands who gave their lives. Every day for me is a precious gift...but for the grace of God...

Some gave all, all gave some RIP my brothers and sisters!!

1st Infantry Division, DiAn, Can Tho, Lai Khe Vietnam, 1969-1970.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@DIMEMAN said:

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!

Can't ever flame a Vietnam Vet. You and I did our tour, not together, but we both know what that crap was like. So, I give you the uber-pass for life. I won't say "Happy Veteran's Day", that's just a misnomer to me, nothing about today is happy. Just remember our friends who are no longer here and many, many ten of thousands who gave their lives. Every day for me is a precious gift...but for the grace of God...

Some gave all, all gave some RIP my brothers and sisters!!

1st Infantry Division, DiAn, Can Tho, Lai Khe Vietnam, 1969-1970.

I hear ya man...…...I lost a cousin over there. I imagine almost every family from that time period was affected by Nam.

edited November 11, 2018 4:13PM

@stevek said:
    Dimeman - i clearly see what you're trying to do here with this thread. Attempting to put some sort of bizarre reverse jinx, pin cushion hex, voodoo doll spell, calamity on the Eagles today so that the Cowboys win this game. An elaborate scheme by you which I don't think will work. But perhaps i simply cannot recognize masterful sorcery when I see it, wizardry beyond what any mere mortal could possibly comprehend, so maybe it all will work.

In any event, unless the Eagles fumble multiple times and Wentz throws multiple interceptions, the Eagles should win this football game.

Now excuse me while I run over to my favorite black magic shop to ask the nice store manager to recommend something that could possibly counteract your dastardly plan.

You know I would never use any tricky voodoo reverse jinx on your beloved Eagles! :o;)B)o:)>:)

This should work:

https://youtu.be/qmo6-77CBzY

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well good luck to the Cowboys, Dimeman!

Actually I think we all have more respect for a person who sticks with their team through
    good times and bad. I do think the Cowboys probably need to find a new coach. But are
    probably not that far from being a very good team.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

So are they allowing horses in the came tonight???

@stevek said:
    This should work:

is that herman munster trying to ride that horse or is it a small horse ?

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:
    This should work:

is that herman munster trying to ride that horse or is it a small horse ?

It's probably a Shetland Pony......to show the scale between the Eagles and Cowboys. ;)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see Dimeman back with his team. Even if you didn’t go back you and everyone else knows you would still be a closet Cowboy fan anyways lol

Great clock management there Garrett. What a POS HC.

Yea, figures...Garrett coached like Landry against the Eagles last week and beats my team, and now reverts back to Barry Switzer.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2018 12:57PM

I have to watch the Tampa Bay Turkeys vs. the New York Midgets. Tampa is leading the world in turnovers, especially when they get in the red zone.

The Tampa quarterback just threw and “equal opportunity pass.” In this case the Giants had a better chance of catching it and took advantage of it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Well...….that was UGLY! But a win is a win. I wish they could close out on a team instead of ALWAYS letting the other team back in.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Dimeman - You've reverse jinxed the Cowboys into two straight wins, and I'm not too happy about it.

@stevek said:
    Dimeman - You've reverse jinxed the Cowboys into two straight wins, and I'm not too happy about it.

Don't worry.....unless they stiffen up on defense...…..there are going nowhere!

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Stop it...now they'll win for sure next week. :s

;)

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Stop it...now they'll win for sure next week. :s

;)

I wish that is all it took for them to win.....they are soooooo bad! :oB)o:)>:)

They keep going on how good the Dallas defense is...…...well it SUCKS today...….and against a backup QB that looks like he should still be in grade school !!!