Home Sports Talk

Well the Cowboys season is over at 11-7.......not bad for the start we had......GO COWBOYS!!!

14567810»

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@JRR300 said:

I completely agree with that.

Let's tell it like it is...with a healthy Carson Wentz out there for the Eagles and beating the Cowboys twice, the Cowboys would have went 8-8 this season and not made the playoffs. A side effect of Wentz coming back from an ACL tear and playing well below par, likely helped Jason Garrett keep his job. And with a 10-6 record instead of an 8-8 record, made Prescott appear to be a better QB than he is in reality.

So that's what Prescott seems to be at this point, a serviceable quarterback who will keep his team competitive enough to maintain around a .500 record, season after season.

Normally this wouldn't be acceptable to Jerry Jones, but perhaps he's older now and doesn't care as much as he did before. That being said, I do agree that Prescott will "get paid" by Jones because with the lack of good QB talent in the NFL, Jones basically has to pay Prescott and just keep his fingers crossed and hope he improves.

Lets compare the Almighty Wentz to Prescott. Seeing that both came out of the same draft this should be fairly easy. With some stats the numbers would be a bit skewed with Prescott playing 8 more career games so with stats like career completions,attempts,touchdown passes,interceptions and passing yards we'll go with the percentages rather than the totals to make it fair. The Bold lettering will mark the leader.
    Pass Completions Per Game: Wentz 23.0 - Prescott 20.3
    Pass Attempts Per Game: Wentz 36.0 - Prescott 30.7
    Passing Yards Per Game: Wentz 253 - Prescott 226
    Passing Touchdowns Per Game: Wentz 1.75 - Prescott 1.3
    Interceptions Thrown Per Game: Wentz .70 - Prescott .52
    Career TD%: Wentz 4.8 - Prescott 4.5
    Career INT%: Wentz 1.9 - Prescott 1.7
    Career Completion Percentage: Wentz 63.7 - Prescott 66.1
    Career Yards Per Attempt: Wentz 7.0 - Prescott 7.4
    Career Adjusted Yards Per Attempt: Wentz 7.1 - Prescott 7.5
    Career Yards per Completion: Wentz 11.0 - Prescott 11.2
    Career QB Rating: Wentz 92.5 - Prescott 96.0
    Career Touchdowns to Interceptions Ratio: Wentz 2.5/1 - Prescott 2.6/1
    Career Winning Percentage: Wentz .575 - Prescott .666

Wentz leads in most per game stats but given the same amount of pass attempts per game Prescott would own even more of this list than he already has.

If we compared rushing history its Prescott all day as well not to mention he's got 9 rushing TDs for every rushing TD that Wentz has.

How about durability issue between these two? Wentz has had two of his first three seasons end due to injury while Prescott hasn't missed a single game.

Playoff history? Wentz hasn't played a single snap even though he owns a SB ring while Prescott is 1-2.

Prescott has been the better overall Quarterback since entering the NFL and his team didn't need to turn to arguably one of the best backup QBs in NFL history to save their season....twice.

<<< Prescott has been the better overall Quarterback since entering the NFL >>>

Eric, tell us you're kidding...please...tell us you're kidding?

Ahh...you are kidding. Hey, that was a very funny joke. 🤣

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

You should save that line for the Philly GM when he decides to let Nick Foles leave in free agency and your team is left with that broken-ass excuse of a QB in Wentz.

Maybe Philly should see if they can return his pick to the Browns. Did they save the receipt?

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

You should save that line for the Philly GM when he decides to let Nick Foles leave in free agency and your team is left with that broken-ass excuse of a QB in Wentz.

Maybe Philly should see if they can return his pick to the Browns. Did they save the receipt?

Wentz would have likely won the MVP last season if he would have stayed healthy. And he very well may be an MVP candidate next season when he's fully healed from the ACL tear.

Dak Prescott will never come close to sniffing an MVP award.

Case closed.

edited January 16, 2019 9:42AM

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Wentz would have likely won the MVP last season if he would have stayed healthy. And he very well may be an MVP candidate next season when he's fully healed from the ACL tear.

Carson Wentz will never come close to sniffing a playoff start.

Case closed.

*fixed

Its too bad the NFL doesn't handout Almost-MVP awards.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Case closed.

wtf brady won last year and someone named wentz came in second third fourth fifth .

What is the deal with the thread title? 11-6 ?

first of all playoff games don't get added to the regular season record and second of all shouldn't it be 11-7? If you are going to write it wrong at least add correctly

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭

Kudo's Steve. Precott's first year, anyone could have played QB behind the OL he had...4 or 5 all pro lineman. Wentz also played his first year with a cast of unknowns at WR, with a team that was not good. Look at year two, and that's were you get a glimpse of what he can be. When teams play the Eagles, they don't game plan to let Wentz beat them.

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Case closed.

wtf brady won last year and someone named wentz came in second third fourth fifth .

What is the deal with the thread title? 11-6 ?

first of all playoff games don't get added to the regular season record and second of all shouldn't it be 11-7? If you are going to write it wrong at least add correctly

Wentz was third in the MVP voting last season.

Almost every pundit had him possibly winning the MVP up until the time he tore his ACL.

You're right, second or third doesn't matter, but the point was Wentz versus Prescott, and Wentz is a far superior quarterback to Prescott.

Next season will be the interesting story for Carson Wentz and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he wins the MVP.

edited January 16, 2019 12:19PM

@JRR300 said:
    Kudo's Steve. Precott's first year, anyone could have played QB behind the OL he had...4 or 5 all pro lineman. Wentz also played his first year with a cast of unknowns at WR, with a team that was not good. Look at year two, and that's were you get a glimpse of what he can be. When teams play the Eagles, they don't game plan to let Wentz beat them.

If we're going to compare offense then lets be honest here. Carson's "great" season was with Alshon Jeffrey & Torrey Smith (two former 1000k receivers), Jay Ajayi & Legarette Blount (two 1000k rushers the previous season) not to mention Zack Ertz (a top 5 TE) & Nelson Aghalor,who was as good as any #3 WR in the league. Brent Celek & Trey Burton are as good as it gets for backup TEs as well.
    How good was the OL? First Team All-Pros at Center (Jason Kelce) & Right Tackle (Lane Johnson). The Eagles OL is every bit as good as the Cowboys. Dallas would have the clear edge on two postions, starting Running Back & starting Right Guard with Zeke & Zack Martin.

You put any QB in that offense and they'll look like an MVP. Some might even look like a SB MVP.

Wentz is not even the best QB named carson. :D You would be better off with carson palmer

@bronco2078 said:
    Wentz is not even the best QB named carson. :D You would be better off with carson palmer

...and they're both Gingers too.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:
    The QB you have now is worse than Romo so don't expect much going forward either, even though you have one of the best backs in the league.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE with this. We have a much better chance of winning a big game with Dak than we did with Romo.

As was explained by Steve Romo had decent career numbers, but choked in big games!

End of discussion!

You're completely clueless if you think Prescott is a better QB than Romo.

Anybody that thinks Romo is better than Prescott is CLUELESS!!!!!!

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@JRR300 said:

@erikthredd said:
    Prescott's 2018 completion percentage was higher than Mahomes,Luck,Brady,Roethlisberger,Wilson,Goff,Rodgers and Mayfield. I think his "accuracy issues" today are more of a result of throwing it 32 times against a really good defense while trying to get his team back in the game with the run game shut down.
    Can he be more accurate? Sure,every QB not named Brees could probably be more accurate but Dallas is definitely going to extend him when his rookie deal is up,they'd be crazy not to. He's finished with a winning record all three years in the league and that was without Zeke for a third of last season's games and having no clear cut #1 WR for a third of this season's games.
    The money isn't going to be an issue when almost every starting QB coming off their rookie deal and re-signs with their team is going to get the going rate for starting QBs going forward. That is just where the NFL is with QB salaries in 2019 whether you're an All-Pro or not. You're getting paid regardless.

If you're telling me that you would rather have Dak as your QB above any of the others you mentioned, then something is seriously wrong. for me, he doesn't pass the "eye" test. when I watch him play, I just never come away with a feeling that he's something special to take his team to the big game. For my money, he's just a bit above Alex Smith, a good steady QB but not that special guy.

Where did I say anything remotely like I'd rather have Prescott over any of the other names I mentioned or even hinted it? I pointed out "his accuracy" was on par or better than some of the best QBs in football this season. Its easy to nitpick his pass attempts after a playoff loss where the offense was forced to throw it repeatedly because the run game was nonexistent.

All I was saying is he's not as bad throwing the ball as some hear make it out to be and,yes, I watched way to many Cowboys games this season after I put my foot in my mouth predicting he'd win 10 games lol.
    I would take him over a fairly large group of other starting QBs though. His contract ends when Brady's does so let Jerry screw this one up so Steve's bae can swoop in and sign him up.

<<< Its easy to nitpick his pass attempts after a playoff loss where the offense was forced to throw it repeatedly because the run game was nonexistent. >>>

It was obvious that the Rams figured they could key in on Elliott, contain him, and if Prescott could beat them with the pass then he beats them. That's basically known as lack of respect for a quarterback.

It wasn't Prescott that lost the game against the Rams...…...It was the run defense (lack of) allowing over 250 yards rushing that lost the game!!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:
    The QB you have now is worse than Romo so don't expect much going forward either, even though you have one of the best backs in the league.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE with this. We have a much better chance of winning a big game with Dak than we did with Romo.

As was explained by Steve Romo had decent career numbers, but choked in big games!

End of discussion!

You're completely clueless if you think Prescott is a better QB than Romo.

Really surprised grote would type that sentence, especially since Prescott has only been playing 3 years.
    Let's be a little more fair when comparing the two.
    Dak Prescott has been the Dallas starting QB at age 23, 24, and 25.
    Tony Romo had zero starts at age 23, zero at age 24, and again zero at age 25.

So maybe wait until next year at their age 26 stats before the comparison starts, because
    so far in their careers Romo is really sucking wind compared to Prescott.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

And BTW- Tony Romo at age 26, his first full year as Dallas QB.
    6-4 record.
    2903 yards passing.
    19 TD's. 13 picks.

I'll go out on a limb and say at age 26 Dak is going to beat those numbers next year.
    I'm taking the over. LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 9:22PM

@Darin said:
    And BTW- Tony Romo at age 26, his first full year as Dallas QB.
    6-4 record.
    2903 yards passing.
    19 TD's. 13 picks.

I'll go out on a limb and say at age 26 Dak is going to beat those numbers next year.
    I'm taking the over. LOL.

Romo also went 13-3 as a starter in his second full season at age 27 throwing 36 TDs and 19 INTs. And continued to get better as his career progressed.

Prescott, after an impressive first season, has regressed and been about average to slightly aboive average in his past two seasons.

Comparing passing stats from 2006-2008 to 2016-2018 is also a skewed comparison. Even though it's only been a decade all the rule changes over those years have greatly favored the passing game and turned QBs into virtual passing machines. (In 2008, there were 6 QBs who threw for over 4,000 yards; in 2018, there were 12.) You can't even breathe hard on a QB without drawing a flag. Even mediocre QBs easily eclipse 4,000 yards passing these days.

I stand by my assessment. Romo was a far better passer and QB than Prescott will ever be. The age at which each began their career is an irrelevant metric. Is Steve Young any less great because he didn't get an opportunity to start in SF till he was age 30? (No, I'm not suggesting Romo is on that level, lol.) Let's see where each winds up when all is said and done.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

one thing over looked in pro Sports are injuries. most often, the Team that wins a Championship is the Team which goes through the season with no major, key player injuries, especially season ending injuries. considering that point, GM's and Scouts consider durability when drafting and considering trades. maybe some of it is happenstance, but there are players who tend to be injury prone. when they are at a key position and have a history of injury, they start to become unreliable and a liability.

Carson Wentz seems to fall into that category, at least he is starting to show a history of being injury prone. I think the Eagles are eventually going to have to make a decision to begin a season with someone other than Carson Wentz.

--- getting back to Dimeman and the Cowboys, it seems they have been moving forward for the past 3-4 years. this year's Draft is a pretty important one for them. if they get the right players, either in the Draft or via trades, they should be able to keep the forward progress, if not they might be in trouble.

I agree that Romo was better than Prescott.

If the Cowboys would have invested in a good psychiatrist to figure out why Romo had brain pharts almost every time he was in a key situation in a very important game, Romo may have turned out to be a Super Bowl winning quarterback.

I just don't see Dak Prescott ever being good enough take his team to a Super Bowl.

@stevek said:
    I agree that Romo was better than Prescott.

If the Cowboys would have invested in a good psychiatrist to figure out why Romo had brain pharts almost every time he was in a key situation in a very important game, Romo may have turned out to be a Super Bowl winning quarterback.

I just don't see Dak Prescott ever being good enough take his team to a Super Bowl.

didn't Romo see Drew Bledsoe play? these things can be contagious

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

11-7

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

OK.....I fixed it. That was really bothering you wasn't it! ;)

@Justacommeman said:
    11-7

m

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    11-7

m

Tony Romo made me do it

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    11-7

m

Tony Romo made me do it

m

Don't worry Mark. If Tony took a swing at you he would probably miss! :o;)

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually think he's a pretty good announcer for games.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I actually think he's a pretty good announcer for games.

He is. Runs laps around his former teammate, Written.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.