Home U.S. Coin Forum

Random picture thread for Friday

Comments

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@1northcoin said:
    Already Friday agaln!

Here is a weekly update on the "neighbors" winter house construction as the framing progresses amid snow, sleet, and rain:

From today - The second level begins to rise:

The continued progress from yesterday and today Friday:

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2022 9:17AM

Actors Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence walk along the train platform next to an Acela train at South Station as a scene for the movie “Don’t Look Up.”

The biggest film production of the year was undoubtedly “Don’t Look Up,” the Netflix doomsday comedy starring Jennifer Lawrence (“The Hunger Games”), Leonardo DiCaprio (“Titanic”) and about 20 other A-list actors who filmed all around Massachusetts from November 2020 through February 2021.

https://youtu.be/RbIxYm3mKzI

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

Actors Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence walk along the train platform next to an Acela train at South Station as a scene for the movie “Don’t Look Up.”

The biggest film production of the year was undoubtedly “Don’t Look Up,” the Netflix doomsday comedy starring Jennifer Lawrence (“The Hunger Games”), Leonardo DiCaprio (“Titanic”) and about 20 other A-list actors who filmed all around Massachusetts from November 2020 through February 2021.

https://youtu.be/RbIxYm3mKzI

I saw that a few weeks ago.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2022 11:31AM

Keeping with the ocean theme. This surf break stopped a much-needed extension route on the 5 freeway in SoCal. The extension would've crossed over San Mateo creek that feeds into the Pacific Ocean. The creek brings small rocks, etc., which in turn helps create these perfect waves at arguably the best surf spot in the lower 48. An area in my hometown, called Trestles.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing those pics @1northcoin

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Friday has arrived!

edited March 4, 2022 3:19PM

OK, the Friday update.

This week the trusses have been added and final shape of the "neighbors'" winter constructed house is becoming evident:

Above- the unobstructed view out to the ocean from my lot.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Friday!

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    Keeping with the ocean theme. This surf break stopped a much-needed extension route on the 5 freeway in SoCal. The extension would've crossed over San Mateo creek that feeds into the Pacific Ocean. The creek brings small rocks, etc., which in turn helps create these perfect waves at arguably the best surf spot in the lower 48. An area in my hometown, called Trestles.

San Clemente rocks. Lived there for a long time before moving slightly up the road.

@1northcoin said:
    Moscow Memories as prompted by recent events

Approaching Moscow:

Red Square:

An attended lecture of historical relevance:

Gathered youth at the Kremlin who would now be of military age:

Moscow's Bolshoi Theatre, home of the Bolshoi Ballet:

Karl Marx Monument across from the Bolshoi Theatre:

Red Square during the day:

Moscow street scenes:

A lighter lecture:

Departing Moscow:

@1630Boston said:
    Thanks for sharing those pics @1northcoin

Thanks for the thanks.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

The ice stalagmite growing in my backyard:

Does my heart good to see that. Those clean (er) burning 90+ direct vent babies helped fund my retirement since I got hip to them in the late 80's.
    Them and the ductless heat pumps that came along in the late 90's.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

@hammer1 said:

@1northcoin said:

Finally, after several added weeks the framing begins:

We frame exterior walls in 2X4 in SoCal. Is it code up there to do minimum 2X6?

Sorry it took so long to provide a definitive response. By pure chance the head of the framing crew of the subject project was seated next to me at a luncheon this afternoon. I asked him directly and he confirmed that 2X4 exterior walls are not used here in the Northland because they do not afford meeting the minimum R Factor for insulating.

I showed him some of the photos I had taken during the construction and he even found one with him in it. In turn he showed me a video on his phone of the trusses (as pictured in place above) being hoisted by crane earlier this week. He added the work was especially challenging due to the cold and wind.

@skier07 said:
    Downtown LA late in the afternoon yesterday after a little rain.

Did you grab a Phillipe's roast beef?

edited March 7, 2022 11:18AM

@skier07 said:
    Downtown LA late in the afternoon yesterday after a little rain.

Unusual to see such a wide open empty lane there in LA. Was there a sequel of LaLa Land being filmed? :)

@1northcoin said:

Unusual to see such a wide-open empty lane there in LA. Was there a sequel of LaLa Land being filmed? :)

It's an expensive toll lane. The rate of the toll is determined by the time of day. Heavy traffic hour you pay more. It's not used a lot if the other lanes are moving freely, as it appears they are. No need to pay extra for the toll lane if non toll lanes are moving.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@skier07 said:

Unusual to see such a wide open empty lane there in LA. Was there a sequel of LaLa Land being filmed?

That’s the carpool lane on the 110. Most people don’t want to pay $9 on a Saturday afternoon with minimal traffic.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file