Home Precious Metals

Post your best investment ideas for 2012

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Post your picks for the best investment ideas for 2012!

Post your picks for standard, trackable, fungible securities with published prices by 3am Pacific time Jan 1, 2012 deadline, and let them run throughout the year. The goal is highest % increase in one calendar year.

To keep the list managable, try to limit yourself to 3 or at most 4 picks (naturally, performance of both good and bad picks will be "diluted" by diversification from more than one pick)

We'll assume even division among the assets, if more than one is chosen, unless some other proportion is specified before the deadline.

Feel free to post other picks or changes after the deadline, but for the purposes of the "official" list we need to draw the line at the end of the year (or, at least at the end of the new years eve party image )

Any dividends will assume to simplyreceived in cash on the date of payment, unless dividend reinvestment in the same security is specified. Stock splits, M&A, or other changes are accounted normally, as specified by the security.

We'll track the picks periodically throughout the year, thanks to Wingsrule for creating the tracking spreadsheet. image

Here's to a profitable year, Have fun!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Cool Idea, but I know I'm not even close to smart enough to even make an eduacted guess! image
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    XOM

PG

APC
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Jimmy L.
    Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll give it a shot- sounds like fun!

Let me know if I'm doing it right-

1. Molycorp Common Stock (MCP)

Rare earth metals mining company. In my opinion, it will be at least at 60 a year from now.

2. Express Scripts (ESRX)

Healthcare company based in my hometown (St. Louis). Proposed merger with Medco. Prediction- trading at least at 80 a year form now.

3. Visa (V)

Visa. Prediction- trading at least at 150 a year from now. >>

i REALLY do like your (ESRX) pick, Visa, i dunno and weren't REM stocks hot earlier? i honestly haven't followed REM's recent history. just keep ESRX from buying out BUDimage
  • REM's were hot, highest in the summer, but at their lows now. I think they are poised fore a rebound. Who knows though? These are as volatile as PM's, in my opinion.

Glad you like my picks!
    Jimmy L.
    Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Three tiny cap stocks.

AIS $2.17 a share Medical device and application stock. Could eventually be a buyout.

SQNS $3.01 a share Makes 4G chips, could be a rocky stock until fall next year.

TRGL $4.86 a share. Should get production up as a gas and oil company.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great picks so far, keep them coming! Feel free to edit up to and until Jan 1st....

Also, if one is an extreme bear, it is ok to SHORT any listed and trackable asset or security, again we'll assume no commision or spread, if you're SHORT something your gain is the absolute value of the % change.

Dust off yer crystal balls, there's no risk except to your reputation, and all of ours are somewhat tarnished as of late image

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't really do or know stocks so put me down for (% by dollar amount):

30% gold
    30% silver
    30% oil
    10% platinum
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are your best investment ideas Baley. You have mentioned these great investments you have in numerous threads. So spill the beans already.imageimage
  • JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    CF

MOO

CSX

Sounds like fun. Take care. jws
  • Along the lines of the "Permanent Portfolio" (do a search for those not familiar), I may have the most boring trio in this thread:

BND total bond market ETF
    GLD gold ETF
    VTI total US stock market ETF
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    MCP will continue to strugge with weak rare earth demand - and in particular a flooded market in the LREE's that they mine. the quasi-ETF DCHAF is a much better rare earth play imho. that said, for 2012 i like

TAN (solar ETF)

AMYZF (Manganese miner)

AGRO (South America Ag)

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometime this weekend, I will enter all of this into a spreadsheet that I will update through the year.

I'll throw in a one oz bar, ASE or equivalent to the winner.

That said, my choices are:

RIMM
    F
    AGQ

Long on all 3.
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    btw, great thread idea. i'll chip in a 1 oz Ag bar too - but maybe it should go to the loser? the winner's probably already doing quite all right.
    i'll chip in a 1 oz Ag bar too - but maybe it should go to the loser? the winner's probably already doing quite all right.

Excellent point! I hereby change my prize contribution to the WORST performing portfolio.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot Platinum = $1,394.00 (split between current Kitco bid/ask).

CLR = current market price $67.66.

25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Keys - 2011-P Reverse Proof + 2011-S Burnished Unc, both PCGS-69 Graded - current basis approx. = $285 + $255, respectively = $540.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    My pick is HALO at today's closing price (9.51 )

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AGQ (silver price X2) if you're looking at 1/1/12 price vs. 12/31/12 price.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RH current pric...$1,350
    PT ......................$1,391

Gonna need both if you're not using a horse & buggy for transportation.

PRGN........$.64 current price per share.... ( shipping )
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • I hope to see more money added to PM

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
    Spreadsheet has been completed for the entries so far.

jmski52 - the price guide only shows values for FS coins, so that is what was used.

Still have 36 hours to enter.

• secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I don't have any short-term investment advice for 2012 other than PMs. Platinum looks cheap. Actually, I've been putting most of my new money into investment real estate the last few years. There are some fantastic deals out there on land and properties which can be rented out. This is the time to "buy low" when everyone hates the asset class. Similar to PMs back in the last 1990s.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forever stamps image

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    I'm long on Citigroup (C). image
    Zach
    Bank of America. Not.

derryb, are we to take it that you're entered at BAC short at $5.56 and long AGQ at $41.65?

And MJ is going with "postage stamps" at 45 cents each? image

AGQ only. BAC (the corporation) is going down but the stock doesn't have enough spread to the bottom to make it a winner.

<< <i>I don't have any short-term investment advice for 2012 other than PMs. Platinum looks cheap. Actually, I've been putting most of my new money into investment real estate the last few years. There are some fantastic deals out there on land and properties which can be rented out. This is the time to "buy low" when everyone hates the asset class. Similar to PMs back in the last 1990s. >>

I expect platinum and rhodium (catalytic converters) to suffer with the upcoming trade wars with China. China is already begining to tighten import of automobiles. Expect trade wars worldwide as economic conditions worsen.

And MJ is going with "postage stamps" at 45 cents each?

They are only $0.44 right now. Rates go up later this month (I think) so he is guaranteed a positive return. Who knows? Maybe +2.3% will win this thing?
    Here's where we are so far. Everyone started with a hypothetical $9,000 investment which was evenly split amongst the choices unless another split was defined. I will update this monthly.

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KMA WR image
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    My picks:

ADM

AGQ

BP
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Did you add my revision to the spreadsheet? I switched MCP and put LH insted.

Thanks!
    Jimmy L.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I'm going off the grid for a little fun

Wingsrule, please make mine evenly split between Forever Stamps, Milk and Timber

Reasoning- Stamps are going up albeit not a huge percentage but I never turn down a sure winner. Call it the bond portion of this portfolio. Milk, I hear people bit¢hing about the price every time I'm at the grocery story. I also hear people bit¢hing about the price of milk at my precious metals B & M. I never hear gold being discussed at Kroger. I have a hunch milk goes to at least $4.25. WOOD (timber) is a play on rebounding housing starts that I think gets a foothold in 2012. It also pays nearly a 4% dividend.

Forever stamps @ $.44
    Milk @ $3.57
    WOOD $37.19 pays 3.95% dividend

gallon of milk pricing resourse

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    All changes to this point have been made.

How should we handle dividends? Add in a 'cash' line item or reinvest at the then-current price?

<< <i>How should we handle dividends? >>

Simplest thing is to just look at begining year value and year end value of the asset with no trading, dividends in between. To compensate for splits you will have to use an end of year chart for begining of year and ending of year value. End of year chart should factor in splits when looking at both prices from the same chart. I wouldn't be concerned with number of shares/ounces etc.; I would just calculate percentage gain/loss based on the 1/1/12 price vs. the 12/31/12 price from a 12/31/12 chart. What I think you are really looking for is the asset with the highest percentage gain when comparing the begining year and ending year prices - keeps it simple.

<< <i>And MJ is going with "postage stamps" at 45 cents each?

They are only $0.44 right now. Rates go up later this month (I think) so he is guaranteed a positive return. Who knows? Maybe +2.3% will win this thing? >>

Unless the shut down USPS, buth maybe they will have greater collector value. image

Big thanks to Wingsrule for creating the spreadsheet, these will be fun to track periodically throughout the year.

I may even throw a few bucks at some of the picks (actually, already have image )

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pcgs ms 62 2 1/2 libs @ $600 +/-
    pcgs ms 63 2 1/2 libs at 700 +/-

Essex Property Trust at 140. 1-2 yrs

Sprint at 2.3, 3-5 years

And it's tough to beat income producing Ag land right now.
    Have a nice day
    Wingsrule, the price guide isn't accurate, especially right now. The price for the RP has gone up overnight so it is almost right but I chose it based on yesterday's ebay numbers, and the S is nowhere near price guide, then or now. I was only weighting the ASEs as 1/3, not 1/2. In addition your platinum price is different than when I chose it, based on the mid-point between buy/sell on Kitco at that time. I'm sorry, but just delete my entry, I guess.

I knew it would happen.
  • 20% forever stamps (thank MJ) @.44
    40% Platinum @ 1397/oz
    20% Silver @ 27.86/oz
    20% Copper @ 3.43/lb

Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I'm going to try a diversified approach and split the money evenly on:

PZG
    GPRO
    GLW
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    BPI -----Bridgepoint Education

SMP ----Standard Motor Products

STEC -----markets enterprise-class flash solid-state drives (SSDs)
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
    jmski,

I was just going by the suggestions in the OP about using the PCGS price guide. I am simply the scribe here, not the judge. We can work with whatever is agreed upon. I can edit your portfoilio so the ASEs are grouped together as one-third.

I am using metals 'ask' prices from this Kitco link and all figures, including stocks, were from close of business Friday 12/30/11.

Kitco - all metals (except copper)

I have been unavailable for a few days so I will add in the additional entries and repost later this evening.

Copper pricing is from the LME website using 2,200# per tonne.
    Wingsrule, no problem. I'll make it simple and go 1/3 platinum, 1/3 silver, and 1/3 CLR. Thanks.

I knew it would happen.
  • I don't claim to know which gas/oil companies are the best, so I'm going to play it safe with:

50% OIH
    50% USO

I think it's nearly a forgone conclusion that we're going to invade, via NATO of course, either Iran or Syria next. As such I'll bet on oil as the peak performer of 2012.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Forever stamps? image
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    USO? Wow, that one killed me a while back when it failed to follow the price of oil. Hope you have better luck!
    ModernCoin,

The initial post (before it was edited) contained a Jan 1 entry deadline. As such, I did not include you in the spreadsheet but your choices will remain here in the thread for everyone to see.

• << <i>USO? Wow, that one killed me a while back when it failed to follow the price of oil. Hope you have better luck! >>

I'm not about to put a penny into it, but if I were speculating with house money I would bet on more war in the middle east this year. What little money I have is put into physical of course image...

<< <i>ModernCoin, The initial post (before it was edited) contained a Jan 1 entry deadline. As such, I did not include you in the spreadsheet but your choices will remain here in the thread for everyone to see. >>

Cool, thanks image
    We had to draw "the line" somewhere, so for the spreadsheet, let's limit it to entries received before Jan 1st.

Everyone should feel free to post additional picks in the body of the thread. To get "credit" at the end of the year, the post with the pick should remain unedited (no fair entering 2012's best perfomers to make it look like you picked them in advance!)