Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

YN Forum Member Essay Contest Huge Jumbo Mega Multi Senior Member Contribution Prize Pot.

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was in a B&M about a year or less ago while bullion Morgan's and Peace $1 where selling at about $15+. A 14 year old YN was trying to trade in this Toned Peace $1 which was bought off the same B&M for $36 plus tax, and it was in a cardboard 2x2 marked as a MS64. One of the sales guys offered him $8.50 credit and then bumped it to $9 since it was toned. Instead of getting wordy I bought the Peace for a bit under $40 as I recall as I covered his store purchase. When we exited the store I offered the Peace $1 back to him for a buck... and was told no sir a deal is a deal, and wouldn't even take it back for free.

Anyhow this should go back to another YN as it's a nice Peace $1 for a 7070.

Rules for the contest are below, as I don't want to pic names out of a hat.

imageimage

1.) You must be a YN Forum Member under the age of 18, not the child of a Forum Member. (Sign Up and Become a Member)

2.) You must post a few brief paragraphs on why you where attracted to numismatics, what you like about the hobby, etc. (Not a 500 word essay unless you want to?)

3.) I'll let the Board vote on who has the best perspective as you are the future of the hobby!

4.) Contest ends Sunday June 1st at 9 PM EST, upon which a vote will follow afterwards.

Edited - Note: To make things fair send me your entry via PM and your Age, I'll post them all at the end of the contest.

Update:

The pot has gotten sweeter as so far I'VE NOW LOST COUNT AT THE AMOUNT OF Senior Members whom have PM'd me that they will contribute additional coins, tokens, books, etc. to the winner.... so this could become a "Huge Cracker Jack" type prize lot with a LOT more incentive.

I wasn't expecting the pot to grow... to cut down on shipping it may be best for each member to send their donated coins directly to the winning YN?

Additional items added to the GROWING PRIZE POT!!! =

A special GIGANTIC thanks for the generosity of all the following members listed below who have contributed the following items listed here as additional prizes for the YN contest giveaway POT!

(Some Item’s Are Pictured )

"rgCoinGuy" - 2 Raw 2007 SAC’s $1 and 2 PCGS Graded SAC’s 2007-D MS66, 2007-P MS67.

"BBQnBlues" - Whitman Classic # 9111 Indian ¢ Album, and 14 different Great Britian large cents + assorted: Belgian Congo, Rhodesia, East/South/North Africa & Hong Kong "Darkside" coins.

"Charley" - 2008 ASE(REV. of 2008) and 2008 U.S. Mint Proof Set SEALED.

Guess I will match them and throw in a Sacagawea Dollar folder by Harris, a Hinged Metal Cornered Harris SHQ 25C 1999-2008 Folder, a Mint State 2007 ASE $1, and a copy of PCGS President Ron Guth's Coin Collecting for Dummies… which is packed with facts, even a great read for a seasoned numismatist, and it's quite funny too boot!

"coindudeonebay" - a 1922-P Peace $1 NGC MS61, and a 1964-P 50C Kennedy NGC Proof 66 Cameo.

"Hyperion" - PCGS AU58 1936-P Buffalo 5C.

"Barndog" - an issue of the John Reich Journal.

"EagleEye" - a copy of his 'Guidebook to Flying and Indian Head Cents’.

"FilthyBroke" - a pair of biblical "Widow's Mites" (Alexander Jannaeus prutahs from Judaea around 103 bc).

“MFH” – a 1901-P Barber Dime in PCGS AU 58, and a 1924-P Mercury Dime in F-15 (MFH just gave away a $100 Barber Dime last week on the boards, and mentioned he would snap something up on EBay as the Merc is all he has. It’s a nice gesture, but this is a giveaway… we’ll just take the Merc!)

“Walmann” - 1943-D Jefferson Nickel MS66FS PCGS (The coin will be shipped inside an Intercept Shield slab holder to for Preservation)

“Tradedollarnut” - a replica Continental Dollar, and a 1941 Mercury 10C NGC AU58 old fatty soap bar holder (Nice attractive coin as per TDN)

“lasvegasteddy” - 1962 proof set (Completely Cameo except the Reverse of the Frankie), 1964 Red and Blue Books, and a Whitman slide album for misc. quarters.

“Swampboy” - a copy of American Numismatic Association Education Department “Detecting Counterfeit and Altered U.S. Coins with J.P. Martin (a VHS Tape)

“jmj3esq” - nice AU 1893 Columbian Commem half dollar.

“OneCent” – BU 1950-S Booker T. Washington 50c (Every YN should have a classic commem!)

“RWB” - an autographed copy of his book Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908.

“Barberman55” - a copy of J.P. Martin's VHS tape on "Grading Mint-State U.S. Coins".

“TwoSides2aCoin” - a 1998 Wide AM cent in MS63.

“coinman420” - a 2007 Washington $1 PCGS MS65 “First Day of Issue”.

“tydye” – a Santa Claus Gift Store Token (Totally goes with the YN Xmas in June theme)

“GoldenEyeNumismatics” – a 2001-P NY SHQ 25c PCGS Sample Slab, and a 2003-P NGC Alabama SHQ 25c YN Treasue Trivia Sample Slab.

“harvey85422458” – a 1982-D NGC MS66 Washington Commemorative 50c.

“kieferscoins” - a SMS 2007-P John Adams Dollar NGC MS 67 Mint Error Major Die Gouge on the obverse.

"pontiacinf" - a Dansco 7070 album, brand new but not including the gold or statehood quarter pages, has a starter roosevelt in it, ICG signature quarter series signed by William Cousins, the pair is the delaware P&D mint quarters #01012 of 10,000, ICG signature series, signed by Andy Jones, CT P&D pair #01012 of 10,000, a 2001 P PCGS MS66 rhode island quarter.

"tombr" - a pair of 1913-S and 1914-S Barber Half Dollars, and a Way Off Center No Date Lincoln Memorial 1c Mint Error.

I'll match tombr's Mint Error offer and add a second... Way Off Center No Date Lincoln Memorial 1c.

"nutz4coinz" - a 2007-P Jamestown Commem Dollar PCGS MS69.

"DJCoinz" - a Revised and Updated Edition, Whitman's "Beginner's Guide to Coin Collecting".

"oxy8890" - a 1954-S Lincoln 1c PCGS MS65RD.

"gecko109" - Group of Type 1836 CBD 10c, 1886 SLD 10c, 1866 S 5c W/Rays, 1906-P Barber 50c, 1942-S WLH 50c, 1929-P SLQ 25c, 1957-D Franklin 50c.

"messydesk" - a 6" high stack of blue Whitman folders.

"YaHa" - a GEMMY UNC 1957 Silver Certificate.

"mgoodm3" - a gently used Nikon 5400 digicam with battery, charger, AC adapter, memory card, add-on macro lens.

"BlindedByEgo" - would like to add a "Surprize". image

"ElKevvo" - a 1996-S PCGS PR69DCAM Jefferson

"boiler78" - SEE UPDATE BELOW THE PICS = First, Second, and Third Place Prizes!

"Stone" - SEE UPDATE BELOW THE PICS = First, Second, and Third Place Prizes!

"mtnman" - a raw 1884-S Morgan in XF.

"ubercollector" - SEE UPDATE BELOW THE PICS = First, Second, and Third Place Prizes!

"RB66" - a 1953-D PCGS 66RD Lincoln 1c.

""78saen" - SEE UPDATE BELOW THE PICS = First, Second, and Third Place Prizes!

"options26" - SEE UPDATE BELOW THE PICS = First, Second, and Third Place Prizes!

"Rupert305" - NGC Grading Guide For Modern U.S. Coins (Spiral-bound).

"lcoopie" - 2005 Sealed US Mint Set.

"zeebob" - SEE UPDATE BELOW THE PICS = First, Second, and Third Place Prizes!

"CommemDude" - a Pony Express So Called Dollar in Bronze.

"zenny" - a hobo nickel.

"TorinoCobra71" - a 1960-D PCGS MS63 Franklin Half Dollar.

"MadMarty" - a 1973 PR68UCAM Cook Islands Weenie Coin.

"Mar327" - a 1986 American Eagle NGC MS 69.

"ArizonaJack" - a new copy of David Lange's Buffalo Nickle book.

"guitarwes" - a 2000-S SAC $1 PCGS PR69DCAM, and 2005-S SAC $1 PCGS PR69DCAM.

"thezookrew" - SEE UPDATE BELOW THE PICS = "Everybody Wins Prize Pot"

"Mistercoinman" - a PCGS MS66 1977 Roosevelt 10C, and a 1992-D PCGS MS66 Roosevelt 10C.

"Wingsrule" - SEE UPDATE BELOW THE PICS = First, Second Place Prizes!

"cinman14" - a 'Sentry' Security Safe Model V330, a box of the westward journey buff's and ocean in view nickles still in the white mint boxes, and a few rolls of 08 cents.

"coinsarefun" - 2 NGC UNC 2007-P Geo Wash Pres $1 first day of issue.

"MrEureka" - - would like to add a "Surprize". image

imageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

UPDATE: First, Second, and Third Place Prizes are now rolling in where the Contibuting Member is allocating how each prize is awarded! image

imageimageimageimageimageimage

UPDATE: Member "boiler78" has made an overly generous contribution of 3 PQ coins, with a specified requirement that these are to be used in 3 prize catagories.

1 - 1882 IHC PGCS OGH MS64RB for 1st Place, 1 - 1926-P Oregon Trail NGC Old Soap Bar Holder MS62 for 2nd Place, and 1 - 1938-D Buffalo PCGS MS65 OGH for 3rd Place.

A contibution like this was totally unexpected and greatly appreciated as this contest has Morphed into an Iceberg from a Snow Flake quite rapidly!

Thank You "boiler78" image

1 - 1882 IHC PGCS OGH MS64RB for 1st Place

1 - 1926-P Oregon Trail NGC Old Soap Bar Holder MS62 for 2nd Place

1 - 1938-D Buffalo PCGS MS65 OGH for 3rd Place.

"Stone" -

1st Place = a mid 20th century B&R. M'F'G. Co. of New York metal dime container with a "mystery" dime inside.

2nd Place = 4 early Lincoln Memorial Cents in 1961-D, 1962-P, 1962-D, 1967-P all PCGS MS-64RD.

3rd Place = 1986-S PCGS PF69DCAM Jefferson Nickel & 2005-S PCGS PF69DCAM Lincoln Cent.

"ubercollector" -

1st Place = a NGC MS65 1956 25c, a PCGS AU58 1883-O Morgan $1, and a OBW roll of 1959 pennies.

2nd Place = a NGC PF65 1957 25c.

3rd Place = a NGC AU58RD 1960D small date cent.

"78saen" -

1st Place = 2 Raw Proof 1964-P Kennedy 50c, one with Accented hair and one without Accented hair.

2nd Place = a 2005 D SMS 10c graded by NGC MS68 PL.

3rd Place = a 2005 D SMS 10c graded by NGC MS68 PL.

"options26"

1st Place = a PCGS MS66 1947 10c.

2nd Place = a PCGS MS66 1947 10c.

3rd Place = a PCGS MS66 1947 10c.

"zeebob"

1st Place = Liberty Dollar copper medal.

2nd Place = Liberty Dollar copper medal.

3rd Place = Liberty Dollar copper medal.

"Wingsrule" -

1st Place = a 18th edition of Photograde.

2nd Place = a copy of Coin Collecting for Dummies.

"Everybody Wins Prize Pot"

"thezookrew" - a random circulated Morgan dollar for the 4th through 6th place winners.

7th through however many entrants there are will receive a 5-quarter plastic holder with one silver-s, one unc P, and one unc D Wisconsin quarter included.

ALL YN ENTRY ESSAYS ARE POSTED ABOVE AND ON A SEPERATE VOTING POLL THREAD

"LINK"

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Very nice all around Broadstruck! image Good luck to the YN's... image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Update:

The pot has gotten sweeter as another Senior Member has PM'd me he will contribute a type coin of the same value...

so this could become a "Cracker Jack" type prize lot with a bit more incentive. image

More to follow...
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice all around Broadstruck! image Good luck to the YN's... image >>

Thanx rgCoinGuy! image
  • Options
    Update:

The pot has gotten even sweeter as a second Senior Member has PM'd me he will contribute some coins.

I'll post pictures of the additional prizes once I receive the images!

More soon...
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea! I am waiting to see some YN's post but guess they should be in school right now.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Update:

The pot has gotten even sweeter as a THIRD Senior Member has PM'd me he will contribute some coins.

I'll post pictures of the additional prizes once I receive the images!

More soon...
  • Options
    imageMore prize coins posted below! image

• Options
    CheddyCheddy Posts: 411 ✭✭

<< <i>Great idea! I am waiting to see some YN's post but guess they should be in school right now..... >>

I'm a YN (15), I'm working on my entry right now. I'll PM it when I'm finished.
  • Options
    Cheddy, Great but take your time as there's no rush, as I bet there will be some strong competition! image
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a toner just for fun.

Not an entry for the contest.

Already sold the coin.....

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Are YNs to post their entry or pm it? I would sure like to read them. I am sure there will be some great replies. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>Are YNs to post their entry or pm it? I would sure like to read them. I am sure there will be some great replies. Respectfully, John Curlis >>

Well when it was just for a single Peace $1 posting in the thread would have been fine, but now that the pot is growing I'm not sure it would be fair to somone like YN Cheddy to post now and others to feed on his ideas?

Better to let them work at it, and I'll post every entry after the cut off date.

Also YN's doing it this way if you submit early... you can resubmit a revised version later just before the cut off! image
  • Options
    Gotta love logic! Memo to self- no cheating. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    imageMore prizes posted below! image

• Options
    CheddyCheddy Posts: 411 ✭✭
    wow this pot is getting huge.
  • Options

• Options
    Just keep writing Cheddy. No more distractions or mind wandering or mental counting during 'homework'.imageRespectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>wow this pot is getting huge. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    This prize pack needs to have some literature so I'll also include a copy of PCGS President Ron Guth's Coin Collecting for Dummies which changed my life, quit smoking, lowered my cholesterol... just awesome.

Seriously packed with facts, even a great read for a seasoned numismatist as it's quite funny!

image Oops that's a pic of Laura's Book imageimage
  • Options

• Options
    GFourDriverGFourDriver Posts: 2,366
    Kudos to everyone on this. First to you Broadstruck for doing a real nice thing with the boy at the B/M shop, secondly to the boy for turning it down....it sounds like he was raised the right way and lastly for all the members donating coins and albums.

John
  • Options

<< <i>Kudos to everyone on this. First to you Broadstruck for doing a real nice thing with the boy at the B/M shop, secondly to the boy for turning it down....it sounds like he was raised the right way and lastly for all the members donating coins and albums.

John >>

Thanks GFourDriver! image
  • Options

• Options
    The first YN Essay has been submitted!!! image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I fully support this, and will be sending broadstruck a pm in regards to my contribution.

YN's rock, as well as the people who support them image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I'm walking away for a few hours as giving really takes a lot out of ya... but many more additional prizes will be added tonight.

This may become the Largest Giveaway on the forum EVER!

Thanks to all the members who have contributed, as one special YN will not have a very happy postal delivery person! image

ROUGLY 7+++ MORE COINS WILL ALREADY BE ADDED TO THE POT LATER TONIGHT ALONG WITH MORE ALBUMS WOOHOO!!!
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    PM and pics sent buddy. Great idea by the way. YN's are the future of our hobby.

• Options
    In just a few minutes of PM's.... More then a Dozen Coins will be added to the Pot.

This is Great!!! image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So tell me... Who is picking the winner and who are the contestants ? And is there a curfew ?
  • Options
    Barberman55Barberman55 Posts: 1,605
    Broadstruck,

PM sent. I don't know how to attach an image to a PM, so I'll show the image here.

• Options
    As I understand the contest, Board members will pick the winner(s) by vote. Contest open to YNs that are signed up members. Curfew is subject to age of YN, I would think, but can be delayed in case of a valid reason like a late night coin show.....Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    Well this couldn't be happening on a better day as it's also the day that National Treasure II was released on DVD.

I'm just walking in to 21 PM messages... so the lucky YN may be celebrating Xmas 6 months early.

A lotta love on this board... thanks again to everyone who has contributed!!!

Update: I posted everything that has pics so far... there's a ton of items that need to be posted w/o pics.

I need to spend some time in PM now to thank all you kind folks and then straighten out the whole who donated what in the OP.

YN's you best be writting... and I saw I received a PM from a 23 year old YN member.

Sorry the cut off is under 18 as by 23 you should be employed to some degree even if you are still in College. image
  • Options
    Broadstruck......sent you a PM
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>As I understand the contest, Board members will pick the winner(s) by vote. Contest open to YNs that are signed up members. Curfew is subject to age of YN, I would think, but can be delayed in case of a valid reason like a late night coin show.....Respectfully, John Curlis >>

I'm just totally blown away by the amount of additional contribution to The Prize POT as it could break into the 4 figure range.

The contest will only be for EXISTING YN Forum Member, or YN's who sign up who can be confirmed by an EXISTING Senior "Parent" Member.

I just want to make sure that the prize is awarded to a 111% Legit under 18 years of age YN...

not a 29 year old who still lives at home with the rents who will EBay the Pot.
  • Options

<< <i>So tell me... Who is picking the winner and who are the contestants ? And is there a curfew ? >>

Well as things have unfolded I think it should be all the Prize Contributing Board Members, not an open Poll.

There's enough of a group... if you look at the list of donations below.

I was considering the American Idol Judges... but Paula Abdul might give a YN credit for Two Essay's when they only wrote One! image
  • Options

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    If it is getting to be large, why not split it up among a few yn's?

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Fantastic idea Broadstruck, here is my contribution.

• Options

<< <i>If it is getting to be large, why not split it up among a few yn's? >>

That is what I was thinking. Great idea.

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options

• Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    neat idea.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we can get one of our locals to donate a suit image

• Options

<< <i>imageMore prizes posted below! image

image >>

• Options
    Whoever wins this thing, with the prize pot as it is, had better have one heck of an essay! Work HARD kids, give it your best!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Whoever wins this thing, with the prize pot as it is, had better have one heck of an essay! Work HARD kids, give it your best!!! >>

Yes Sir... and as FilthyBroke mentioned to me in a PM which I found funny was to some degree the lucky YN will walk away with a better collection then us old farts image

Another PM stated... Who's Donating the Safe? image

Again many thanks to all the Senior members who have made this POT GROW!!! image

Mark Goodman's contribution just now was unexpected a whole Digital Camera outfit... SWEET! image

Just a whole lotta love on the boards!!! image
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    Great idea Broadstruck -

i'll happily toss smoething in the pot if you out the B&M shop that offers a 25% buyback to a YN!!

z

• Options

<< <i>Great idea Broadstruck -

i'll happily toss smoething in the pot if you out the B&M shop that offers a 25% buyback to a YN!!

z >>

zenny, I'd really like to but it wasn't the owner as it was one of the B&M groupies that's just there all the time and I guess therefore became somewhat of an employee. I know the owner from his days as a collector and also know some of his personal family issues and this is his livelyhood. I had ventured into the shop 3-4 times over a 9 month period with a checkbook in my back pocket and there hasn't been a single item worthy to whip it out from 1/2c to $20. All stale inventory too, and you can tell by reading someone's face that their business venture is not stable. Since I'm not a regular I'm not sure if this was a normal occurance or just desperate measures even at the expense of a YN. I'm glad I was there when this occurred and was also happy just to have another collector in the shop during my visit! I hope you understand?
  • Options

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Broadstruck, expect a PM in a short time with what I plan on contributing to this contest.

I am unable to make it to the ANA Summer Seminar this year because of some unforeseen issues, but I always like to help fellow YN's out.
    It looks like the prizes are really spectacular and I hope there are some GREAT essays being written by our resident YN's here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file