Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Recently Acquired Coin Collection – The Return

Hey Guys/Gals,

Well… I guess I’m back. Since things have settled-down a bit, and I still receive requests for updates every so often, I figured now might be a good time to give it a go.

I’m not sure how well-received this thread will be compared to the first. Maybe the thrill is gone?? Maybe it was a 2007 New Year’s fluke?? Maybe (as pointed out by one poster) – “What’s the big deal? People inherit coin-collections every day…” Who knows - maybe I carry a C.U. “Black Sheep” status due to my abrupt (and possibly rude) departure and initial thread-delete?? If any of these are the case… well, I assume this thread will just die quickly, and I’ll just return to my “lurker” status and continue to pick-up great information so many of you provide. If, on the other hand, this thread generates even a quarter of the interest compared to the first - I feel I’m certainly a little better prepared since I’ve had some time to absorb what’s happened, and learned a few things about this coin-collecting phenomena.

While I do hope to gather more information, bottom line/purpose for this thread is to honor my grandfather (and grandmother.) And at this point, I think the best way to do that is to share as much of the collection as possible to people who want to see it. I know he (my grandfather) would be thrilled with the attention his collection got in the first thread.

So… a quick summary/update:
My father had the collection for several years and asked me to take possession of it Christmas, 2006 with the understanding it was my grandfather’s wish to pass it on to his grandchildren – six of us. I started the January thread, “Recently Acquired Coin Collection” with the intent of finding its approximate value, selling it, and then splitting the profit between the six. (I was thinking maybe a couple-thousand a-piece - tops.) At that point – my cousins didn’t even know I had the collection.

Well, as you are aware the thread exploded, and what I’d call “the eight days of insanity” pretty much rattled my brain. A flurry of emails and phone calls with my parents took place. (I think they were more surprised than I.) After several days I tried to get a grip on things. I thought about security, opened a SDB, took more pictures, tried to eat and sleep, and about then realized I needed to get my siblings and cousins “on-board” – which happened just before the thread delete.

To say there was excitement (with the news to my siblings and cousins) would be an understatement. Again – a flurry of emails.

[Short grandkid summary:] We are now, and have always been, spread-out across the country. But we have a special bond – that bond being a small house in Carlsbad, NM where our grandparents lived our entire lives. We’d all converge on that house for weeks at a time during summers in the 70s & 80s. I’m not sure who enjoyed it more, the grandkids or my grandparents, but those were some of my best (care-free) times of my life.

Ironically, we cousins have not been in contact with each other for over a decade – until I posted the January C.U. thread. An interesting note I learned is that one cousin actually sat down with my grandfather several times with the collection many years ago – something I don’t ever recall doing. (I do feel some envy!) Another note is that it seems all grandkids are on board with taking our time. No one has rushed to say, “sell!!” Whether the collection is sold in its entirety, partially, or kept – all of us will take part in making the decisions. In fact, we are currently planning a “cousin reunion.” Spend some time catching-up, reminiscing, and of course looking at and talking about the collection.

As far as the C.U. is concerned. I have kept in close contact with several board members here over the past 2 months, and received a wealth of information. A HUGE thanks to those individuals!

OK – onward! For those interested, I threw together a condensed/edited copy of the original thread for reference. (I deleted comments that IMO didn’t add value to the discussion.) I’ve probably re-read it 10 times – and each time I still smile and laugh! Plus it’s chock-full of great information - I would highly recommend the read (or re-read!)
See: Recently Acquired Coin Collection

Since it appears the proof sets and commemoratives are the “big items”, I figure as long as people want to see pics, I’ll start with those – and maybe I can get some “free grading” guesses in return. My plan will be to go at a slower, but methodical pace (as long as there’s interest.) I won’t be able to post much during work hours, so I’m guessing most new pics would come out in the evening. I have a spreadsheet with a column marked “Collectors Universe Grade” with the purpose of tracking what you guys think - to compare with actual PCGS grades if/when the coins are slabbed.

It appears the OST coin I first posted is one of the finest examples. Many of the others appear to be more “raw”. Interestingly (and to my BIG surprise), un-stacking & looking-through some large black coin “boards” (that hold 12 or 16 coins with sliding plastic “windows”) revealed more commemoratives – 45 more to be exact. Some of those are rough (look circulated) but there are also some very nice “finds” there – like several Oregon Trails. (I love that one!)

I tagged the pictures with my grandparent’s initials. My grandfather was not fond of his first name, so everyone called him by his nick-name, “Dusty”. The initials stand for, “Irma Linn & Dusty Rhodes.” First up: Some commemoratives from the “green book” - a Alabama Centennial and Albany New York Charter.

Again, I’m hoping to get a feel for grade to help make decisions on slabbing. Any opinions or questions are welcome, and thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all good, and, welcome back!

Glad things seem to be going well and there isn't some nasty infighting over things like some families would do.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more! (btw...I'm jealous image, my grandma collected but, in her later years, she had to sell at ripoff prices, to pay the bills.....I never knew that or I would have tried to help her out as she really got taken to the cleaners image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see you back. I distinctly remember that thread and the disappointment with where it went.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Hi Darth,

Welcome back - I was hoping to see more your collection, thanks again for sharing! While others here know a great deal more than I do about slabbing coins, that last one you have posted with the beaver probably won't slab due to the rim damage - though it is still a very nice coin!

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    Hurrah! More pics of some really cool coins! I for one have found this really interesting all the way along, and I think that we can all sit back and enjoy what should be some fun pics and stories as Darth rolls out this thread! For anyone who did not slog through the initial thread, this is the real thing. It's been validated by a number of people on the boards. I for one have thoroughly enjoyed my communications with Darth, and think that this collection is a dream come true!
    Pics, we want pics!
    More importantly, I'm wondering when some of these coins will go to PCGS or NGC so we can see some grades... especially that Spanish Trail!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Great to see you back and hope all is well.........post some 'mo pics!!!!!

wes

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    By the way, I love the name Dusty Rhodes... as in 'From the Dusty Rhodes collection'
    It has a perfect ring to it (espcially for a collection of US coins from the early mid 2oth century... )
    I can see the catalog now!
  • Options
    I looked at your original threads photos, you seem to have a beautiful collection on your hands. Welcome back
    Retired U.S. Army Paratrooper 1977- 1992 Served Proudly. 100% DAV
    All The Way - And Then Some
    I collect Modern Commemoratives
    and anything Franklin.
  • Options
    Darth--glad you're back! Hope to see and hear more about the collection.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    Welcome back!

I see you are starting with the As. image

The Alabama appears circulated to me, I'd guess XF. The Albany looks nice and might be a MS 64. I'm guessing the "rim damage" noticed by EricSan is a reflection of the plastic and not actual damage on the coin itself.

If I remember right Dusty Rhodes was the on air name used by a traffic reporter around here...
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Welcome back Darth5oh. I loved the original thread (most of it anyway). I can't wait to hear more about the collection and see more pictures. Hopefully the people that ruined the last thread stay away this time.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Oh yes, the grades: High end VF or low end XF on the Alabama, and MS 64 maybe 63 on the Albany (nice overal, but dings are catch the eye due to central location on obverse, and may bring it down IMO).
  • Options
    Darth5ohDarth5oh Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Thanks all for the “welcomes” back.

Eric – I’m 99% sure that’s not rim damage – but optical aberrations (as Carl pointed-out) due to the plastic/cellophane coverings on the coin holders. (Reason I say 99% is I don’t have quick access to the coins to verify…)

Tonedbuff – that name does have a nice ring – I’m sure my family will be checking this out soon (if not already.) And thanks for all your help...

Chris – Thanks. I don’t think anyone really “ruined” the other thread – it was more an over-reaction on my part – due to my confused state of mind… image

I know from what I’ve read that image grading is very difficult – but I’ve found several of you seem to have a knack. I’m really just trying to get a general idea. Also, I don’t have access to my photobucket at work, so for today at least – child-like screams for more candy just won’t work (until I get home later this afternoon - lol!)

Oh – and thanks for the grade attempt, Carl. (Edit - and Tonedbuff) Yes – going alphabetically down my list in the ‘green book’….
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back... and bring on the photo's... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    GREAT to see you again Darth !

This was one of the most interesting threads I've read on the CU. Let's face it.... G Washington $'s & all the hub-bub are boring to many of us image

I'm excited about upcoming details of this _Major collection..
  • Options
    Welcome back Darth and bring on the pictures. Nice write up also. Glad to hear everyone (grandkids) are on the same page.

Your grandfather wasn't a pro wrestler was he? image
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    Darth,

Welcome back. I loved reading most of the first thread, and I look forward to the rest.

Dusty Rhodes was also a wrestler in the 80's. His nickname was, "The American Dream." He always used to talk about,"The American Dream tour." I'd say you are on your own American Dream tour right now. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad your back dont let any one scar you off we all did not like what he or she did but that is water under the brige. Now let see your Grand dads and now your Nice Coins andimage I forgot you suck in a good way image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dusty Rhodes >>

Kick ass name!
  • Options
    Darth, Just wanted to add my "Welcome back". Glad to hear that the inital uproar hasn't discouraged you from posting. As the others said "more pictures, please"image.

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for coming back. Please do not be a stranger. I enjoyed your thread (well, the part about the coins, LOL) the first time around.

MD
    mirabela
  • Options
    Alabama....XF and original looking

Albany ... looks at least MS 64 to me.

Good to see you back Darth.

Thanks for posting........image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Albany may have been whizzed.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>The Albany may have been whizzed. >>

I don't see signs of whizzing??
    Would need a much bigger close up... are you going from the high luster of the fields?
  • Options
    Also, I may have been overly hard on the Albany as 63... blown up pics can do that. I think that the 64 grade makes more sense, though I don't see a 65.
    I still think the Alabama looks too worn to be a XF strictly speaking... I'm no expert on that specific coin, but of these I've seen were well struck, and this one has lost a good bit of detail from wear.
    Cool looking though! Nice original worn piece.
  • Options
    Again – thanks for welcomes!

Grabba – the wrestler comment made me lol…

Tbar – thanks for the grades…

291 – what do you mean by whizzed? I am VERY confident these coins have been in those holders untouched for decades.

OK – going off the first thread link – I was able to guess at, and find the Antietam links. The first one was posted in the January thread – you’ve seen it - but I think it was cut/resized quite a bit smaller in the original thread so these pictures are better. This first coin is one of two ( along with the first OST) I removed from the 2x2 holder before I had a clue on coin-handling. There’s a good chance I mis-handled this one. Antietam 2 was not removed – and again – the rim looks damaged due to the holder.

Feel free to grade away!
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what did you and the siblings decide to do?

Sell or keep the collection?
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Dusty Rhodes, the baseball player?

welcome back Mark

My cousins too are tight so i know what you mean.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Darth. Very nice commemoratives.image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back and thanks for this great presentation.
    I'm putting my feet up, so to speak.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may just be the effect of the flash on the Albany, but it does look whizzed. Whizzing involves taking a metal brush and attaching it to a drill. The surface of the coin is then "whizzed" to remove any signs of wear and make it look like the coin has original luster. Whizzing has been around for a long time, so the fact that the coin was bought long ago doesn't insure anything.

You need to have the coins looked at by a trustworthy, and experienced, collector or dealer, in person.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Awesome Antietams

#1....ms64
    #2....ms65-66

IMO.

No way these coins have been whizzed from what I can see. They look milky original to me.

Keep em commin'......image
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Wasn't Dusty Rhodes one of the "Three Amigos"?

Welcome back Darth!!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Cheezhed – while we reserve the right to change our minds at any time… image We are currently leaning heavily towards the sell side. While this may sound blasphemous (and leave many of you true collectors shaking your heads), the main reason is that we feel it would be very difficult to split the collection six ways fairly. There are many unique pieces with drastically different values. For instance… who gets the only ’36 proof buffalo nickel? (What if 4 of us want it?)

Also – what’s is the best way to honor our grandparents? Try to split and keep the collection – where for most it would sit in dark closets, safes, or SDBs – waiting to be passed on to ?? great grandchildren? Or… what if we could get the collection pedigreed – the “Dusty Rhodes Collection” – where 10s or 100s of true collectors could own a piece, and the collector world would recognize my grandfather’s (and g.m.) name? It's a tough call for me...

Whizzed: 281 – thanks for the explanation. OK – I agree there’s no way to really know. And some of these commemoratives (like a World Columbian Exposition we have for example) does indeed look like there could be wire-brush marks on it. Interesting…

OK – I’m not dissin’ you guys for the jokes and/or references – but maybe “Dusty Rhodes” just puts to many other (less than desirable) pictures in peoples minds…
  • Options
    Wow, I love that first Antietem! MS64 maybe 65 (the little patch of scratches on the obverse hold it back. What a killer strike on the reverse, though! The second does not have as much luster or eye appeal (or it could be the pic) but is a techically cleaner coin - 65 maybe 66 IMO.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darth5oh:

Glad to see you back in the posting saddle. I am looking forward to more pics and the give and take in the replies to this thread. What I really like about your situation is that you and your family memebers are having a great time. Even if you sell the entire collection, the memory of your families time with your Grandfather's collection will last a lifetime.

Oh by the way, Proof Buffalo nickels rock.
  • Options
    I take it your 'Dusty" is not the ballplayer.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    when i was a teenager i would sometimes watch WWF back in the 80s. image Dusty Rhodes was the name of this wrestler that they would put in and he would lose every bout...it was like, here comes Dusty....we know whose not gunna win this one! lol! takes me back a bit.

great coins, i think u r showing your grandparents a lot of respect by taking your time and learning all about these coins. No matter what you do with them, that would make them proud.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with 291fifth here as to the Albany - and say I see absolutely no signs of whizzing or other mistreatment whatsoever. Fact is, most every coin Darth's shown has been an "ideal" collector coin, which is why everyone got so geeked out from the first. Welcome back Darth!
  • Options
    Further on the Albany; what I see is not whizzing, but coruscating, original luster behind a great, "crusty" original thin film provided by time and the elements, which was never dipped and stripped away. In other words, a collector's gem. The fact that this original crust diffuses the luster somewhat (in the pic) is I think what's possibly causing misinterpretation.
  • Options
    Tbar - forgot to thank you for the grading guess in my last post - thanks!

Original - since we're on the topic of "whizzing" - here's what I mentioned in my previous post. Check-out this Columbian. (Rats! I'm going out of order!) I'm certainly no expert - but it sure does look like the firewall of my '67 Mustang after I took the drill and wire-brush to it...

Whizzed? And what about the grade on that! ?
  • Options
    You're right on with your interpretation of that Columbian Darth. UNC details, but whizzed/cleaned. This one would (probably) be deemed cleaned too harshly to make it into a slab - even though it's retoned pretty nicely around the rim, still easy to spot those hairlines indicative of a cleaning. Fortunately, among commems, this one's fairly easy to find in choice UNC (though tough to find as a strict gem.)
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    The Return of Darth5oh Thread of the Year Part II image back image

Great pics! Great thread! and Great story!

Thanks for sharing once again. It seems as you have synthesized much of the advice here. Going slow and methodical and I applaud your decision to sell, although it may not be such a popular decision amongst us collectors.

I too have a large family and not including the "cousins" I would find it difficutl to share your Grandparents collection fairly among many relatives otherwise.

But please continue to post pics and stories as I'm sure we're all intrigued and anxious to share in the excitement!

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We’d all converge on that house for weeks at a time during summers in the 70s & 80s. I’m not sure who enjoyed it more, the grandkids or my grandparents, but those were some of my best (care-free) times of my life.

Your Grandparents would also be thrilled to know that his coin collection will be the prime mover in getting all of you back together again, with your own families in tow. Really wonderful gift for them, and for you. Enjoy it all. And welcome back.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    <<does indeed look like there could be wire-brush marks on >>

Your Colombian does look cleaned. Cleaning is a bit more crude than whizzing. Whizzing would leave parallel lines but these would be very tiny and the coin would like shiny just after whizzing.

Another thing is die polishing. The Mint did this so die polishing does not hurt the grade/value of the coin. Die polish lines are caused by a Mint worker polishing the dies. Since the dies are polished rather than the coins the lines on the coins made by polished dies are raised above the surface of the coin. If you hold the coin at a slight angle under a spot source of light, such as a halogen banker's lamp, you can see if the lines leave a shadow (raised -> die polish) or not.

I like the Antietam's very much. The first looks to have excellent luster. I'm not sure if the second has less or is blocked by the holder. It is easier to get good photos if the coins are out of the holder.

I'm at Gem or Gem+ for both.

To generalize most of the coins you have posted have a nice skin on them suggesting very well preserved coins. The Colombian above is an exception in that is looks harshly cleaned.
  • Options
    I agree that the Columbian looks harshly cleaned and not whizzed.

Too bad ...looks like a well struck coin.

I think you have picked a good time to sell a great collection. Who knows, after you split the money up, you might decide to use some of it for seed money to start your own collection.

Keep the pics rollin' Darth.......image
  • Options
    Thanks again for the comments...

OK – last one for the night owls – and to break-up the monotony of the commemoratives – lol..

There are two “odd-ball” proof sets. Not sure if the cases are aftermarket, or original from the mint. The ’54 (black) case is in horrible shape and these pictures are very poor, as I rushed to snap quick pics before I hauled everything out of the house. The green set is from 1950.

• Options
    Welcome back, Darth! Glad to see you have returned.

Keep the pics coming. Commemms are cool but I'm hanging for the proof sets!

Edited : Proof sets - perfect timing!
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    Both proof sets above are in aftermarket holders. None of the 10 coins appear to have deep cameo contrast so the value is not exceptional.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darth - Welcome back!! I'll go out on a limb here and tell ya I see that Albany Half in a MS-65 holder soon! Like this one: in a 1989 PCGS-65 holder

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file