Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Recently Acquired Coin Collection – The Return

Comments

• Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Nope, Colorado. Still snowing outside.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there -- yes, I did notice your Vermont, since you ask. Nice looking coin, unusual too for having that nice light skin without pea-soup toning. The second most common kind of Vermont (the first most common being a cleaned Vermont) is the Vermont with pea-soup / baby sh!t colored toning. Yours is very nice. Bet it comes back MS64 should you submit it for grading.

mirabela
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will you take advantage of PCGS Tru-View when you submit? Sorry if you have answered this already, but a thousand posts is tough to keep up with all that goes on...
  • Options
    Darth5ohDarth5oh Posts: 115 ✭✭

<< <i>This is gonna be one heck of an ending!!!!

Thanks for the ride Darth!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck with everything...........wes >>

Thanks Wes – Well, I hope I just didn’t build it up for a crash & burn disappointment. image If you guys enjoy it ¼ as much as we (family) have enjoyed this thread it should be OK…

Eyoung429 – (“429” as in Boss 429?) Thanks for the comments – and I’ve got a sibling in Colorado who’s “enjoyed” this year’s snow too!

Mirabela – Hey, thanks for your comments on the Vermont! The reason I asked was I thought you may have had an interest in that coin since it used to be your avitar, I think?? (Wow – that was a horrible sentence.) Now that you mention that – we may have a few pea-soup toned coins, unfortunately.

Barndog – I think Jim or Bob might be looking into that… (hint, hint!)
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this thread ever ends it will be a sad day indeed.
  • Options
    All,

OK – I re-thought my initial strategy of one, huge “picture barrage” post. (On the C.U. Test Forum, it takes a while to load 50 pictures – I don’t even want to try 200.) I sure don’t want to frustrate everyone with a “forever load”, plus I don't know what effect this will have on photobucket's (limited bandwidth??) So I'm going to break it up - try about 50 images first to see what happens.

Set 1 will be:

- Commemorative Board C - (Note: the picture quality on many of these are not as good as the “green book” commems - I think because I was rushing a bit, and many of the plastic “windows” are in poor shape.)
    - Flat Pack Proofs – some of the close-ups are an attempt to show what *might* be just a bit of cameo.
    - A few random pictures (taken by my brother and his wife – thanks M&M!) from a box of “loose stuff”…
    - 1940 Proof Set

I guess I should say dial-up beware – “Wave 1” in 10-15 minutes
  • Options
    Commemorative Board C - 33

Flat Proof Packs (55-65) - 11

Miscellaneous (Thanks M&M!)

1940 Proof Set Edit oops... 1941...

End
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I cannot beleive the extenet of that collection. I couldn't imagine sorting through all of that stuff. I bet you are having a blast. I am an early commem guy and you happend to have some real beauties there. Very nice proof sets too. Have you been able to find any real nice cameos?

Keep the photos coming.image
  • Options
    You weren't kidding, that is a bandwith buster image Good thing I have a cable connection.
  • Options
    Not enough time to fully comment here but:
    Illinois - MS64
    really nice reverse! Love rim rainbow!
    Monroe 1 - nice 64
    Monroe 2 - 63
    Illinois 2 - nice 65
    Oregon trail 1 - WOW 66
    Boone - ding on cheek hurts... ms63
    Oregon 2 - 65/66
    Long Island - 65
    Stone Mountain - 64 (ding on the obverse)
    Columbian c4r4 - Cool rim rainbow!
    Stone Mountain 2 - 64
    Proof sets (paper envelope) - What a great big collection of proof sets. Hunt for the cameos! Bound to be some from the pics. That 55 nickle appears to have nice cameo. The halves are of particular interest for cameos!
    Old proof sets - said it before, and will say it again, WOW, WOWimage
    The coins are incredible, I'd bet you are sitting on a nice pile of high end (66-68) proofs here, and some with cameo! In many ways the most exciting part of the collection. Just seeing those out of the plastic would be worth the price of admission! Get those things certified by the set so you can properly see them!

Although all threads do end... and this one will to (the only ones that go on and on are typically those with some big ego battle) I will miss this one! But, I sure look forward to seeing the last barrage of photos!
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is like the end of a 4th of July fireworks display! Talk about fun.

I hope that you guys drop by once in a while to keep us appraised of your progress. Best of luck in your endeavors with your collection.
    Mark

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Will somebody please build a museum for Darth's collection? I mean, wow. It isn't just the material but its surroundings -- the ephemera, the packaging, the coin boards -- that deserves some serious archiving.

(Who built the coin board that has holes for several different denominations?)

Once again, one of my favorite pics is proof set shot -- the one with the Washington reverse laid over a Walker reverse: two eagles in the original plastic.

Is it feasible to keep the proofs in the plastic indefinitely?
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yum, Yum, coin picsimage
  • Options
    Amazing!

Darth - has it been decided when/how you are going to sell the collection? It would be great if some wealthy philanthropist would buy the whole thing and put it in a museum like planetsteve said, although that's about as likely as me putting together a collection like yours in my lifetime (slim to none)
    I'm sure most of us that have seen it would love to own a piece of such a great collection (I know I would!) I'm sure it will take a while to sort out the details, etc. but if there's a way you could contact those of us that are interested once everything is ready? (maybe an email list or something?)

Thanks again for posting everything.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is cool!

What I also find funny is that how, years later, it is cool and people are drooling but, anyone doing this type of collecting today is told they need to focus (by many people).

Looks like the grandfather was an accumulator (nothing wrong with that) and it is paying off well (interest, coins, and potential $$$) for the current kin.

Keep 'em coming!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I would like to say that this is the single most interesting and fun thread I've ever participated in, bar none.
    No arguing.
    No insulting dealers.
    No insulting collectors.
    No arguing over modern versus classic coins.

Just coins and stories about coins and coin people. I love the pictures! Even more, I enjoy watching the emergence of new collectors. Darth (and his cousins) started out as inheritors of something of value, but nothing more. Now I see them engaging and showing a genuine interest in coins, I hear increasing talk about keeping some of the coins. Grandpa's spirit has infused his family with the collecting bug... and we got to watch and participate!
    I hope you all keep some coins, and build your own collections around them! If you sell, I hope collectors end up with the coins as a permanent part of thier collection, to be enjoyed for years.

Cheers, and thanks.image
  • Options
    I may have missed it in all the posts so far but has anyone awarded Darth the "You suck " award yet?
    That is thruely the most fantastic collection I have ever seen.
    Good luck Darth and cousins. And thank you for sharing your Grandfathers collection.
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    I'd also like to say, having exchanged a few PM's with Darth, he is a heck of a nice guy, and he and his family are certainly most deserving of such great luck! (yea, I suppose you cousins too... though I don't know ya'll...image
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    btw....it has been brought to our attention here in light of the magnificent collection that your grandfather has taken the time and effort in collecting that has brought you here.....

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    I can just picture the name of the online store: "Dusty Roads Coinatorium" or something to that effect. Have the background and history of your grandparents and the collection. You can cut out the middle man and sell the coins yourself as singles or in groups of 'personally attributed' sets. Eh, I'm just thinking out loud (or 'thinking by typing' I guess) and that would be a lot of work. Great collection and history though, thanks for sharing with everyone Darth and cousins!

First get the knowledge, then the coins.

imageimage
  • Options
    Joseph – thanks. Yes, it’s taken quite a bit of time, but it’s been very enjoyable! The best part about this is the cousins are once again talking to each other! (Not much on the cameo as far as I can tell.)

Dan – thanks! More to come!

Tonedbuff – Don’t feel like you have keep guessing the grades! Part of the reason we’re posting these pics was to say “thanks” to all – and you’re a big part of my “thanks.” I’m certainly marking your notes/grades in my spreadsheet – but if it’s becoming a burden, by all means stop! (But thanks!)

Mark – thanks. I’m sure we’ll certainly post-up any grades we get! (Once we figure out exactly how/what we’re going to do.)

planetsteve – thanks for the museum props – but the contents all fit in two 18x24x8” boxes – hardly enough to warrant a ground-breaking!

OK – the coin boards – my sources say: “The empty quarter boards are from Whitman Publishing Co., Racine, Wisconsin or Poughkeepsie, NY.--- as is the dark blue penny board (not shown yet) and the liberty head nickel board. The empty dime boards are from Kent Co., Neenah, Wisc.--as is the light blue penny board and the buffalo nickel board.”

Proof sets – yes… I’m struggling with the thought of pulling those original proof coins out of the original packaging. It’s sorta like sanding-off original paint on a Boss 429 Mustang found in a barn…

halfhunter – we’re really not at that point yet. As Jim pointed out – we want to get some coins slabbed first to see if what we have is “real.”

Bochiman – right. I think it was pointed-out in the first thread that not much money was spent on this collection. My grandfather just loved collecting – and bought things when they weren’t expensive.

Tonedbuff – (second post.) I hope the reason this thread has remained positive is because it’s genuine. I know I’ve said some things I wish I hadn’t – but it is/was out of true excitement. It’s just been a blast - exchanging emails between us siblings/cousins (who really have not talked to each other in more than a decade) and them being able to participate in this thread. A great ride for us too, for sure!

unknowncomic – (why don’t you have a paper bag over your coin? lol) I think we did get a ‘you suck’ award in the first thread, but I wasn’t sure how to take it! Thanks for the kind comments.

eyoung429 – so much for this thread remaining positive… (jk!)

N8 – Thanks. We’re taking all advice into consideration!

Working on getting the next “wave” out tomorrow some time…

• Options
    All I have to say is, "Good Feakin' Lord!!! I didn't know there were that many!!!" And, Mark, you said you had 240 total pics of things not posted here on the CU. Again, Good Lord!!! I have hi-speed cable, and it still took a little time for all these to load.

Now is when I really wish Grampy had written down, as he did in most things, where, when, and how he came to own these coins. Sort-of a blow-by-blow accumulation history. Was there a coin shop in Carlsbad back then? I don't remember ever going with Grampy to a shop like that, but maybe Uncle John knows. (Mark's dad for those who are wondering)

No wonder he liked going to the post office so much!!! I remember sitting in the LTD with Grammy for what seemed hours while Grampy talked to everyone at the P.O. To think most of the proof sets were already in the collection by the time I came along. But still...

Ok, I'm putting my dibs in now... for Ummmmmm... no not those, but ahhhh. Oh heck, can I just pay you all off with the second mortgage idea???

J.K. I wouldn't be approved for what it would take..LOL image

Cousin2
    JIM

P.S. Brothers Bob & John, other cousins, please chime in when you see all these.

Tonedbuff - I second what Mark said, "It has been genuine." There hasn't been much room for argument, because we Cousins weren't allowed too. But I really do appreciate your thoughts/grades/ideas/etc. You and all the others have added flavor to something our whole family now finds momentous.

Barndog - will you take advantage of PCGS Tru-View when you submit? Sorry if you have answered this already, but a thousand posts is tough to keep up with all that goes on...

What's Tru-View???
    Cousin2
  • Options
    Picture Set II

Grandparents and yours truly @ The Cortez. Late-1980s

Miscellaneous – Carlsbad Bank Bag with several rolls - 4

Commemorative Board A - 15

37 Proof Set (Black Case: Only 1 Side has “window”) – 5

Stray 1950 Proof Set - 6

Stray 1954 Proof Set - 4

Miscellaneous coins in a Commemorative Half Coin Book – 5 Thanks M&M!!

40 Proof Set – 10

End Set II - Thanks for looking.

• Options
    Once again, a wonderfull group of coins! I am very curious about the dates and mintmarks on those seated halves and dollars. Depending on the dates, and assuming that those coins are in as good of condition as they appear, those could be very valuable coins! Can you get close ups of front and back of the seated dollar? In XF to AU, there are no shortage of seated dollars worth the $1,000 or more range. It would also be very interesting to see front and back of the halves. It is very hard to see, but that seated dollar appears to be an AU anyhow, and some of those halves appear that they are at least XF or better. Depending on date and mintmark, those are a hundred dollars upwards to a thousand dollars, so it is worth getting some details! Great looking coins.
    The first texas looks 64, maybe 63.
    The second appears a nice 65
    The 37 proof set is showing carbon spots on the cent and nickel, which is not uncommon. Too hard to grade proofs from the photos.
    However, the 1950 cent you captured a good photo of, looks to be at least a Cameo and PR66 to 67. That is a very valuable cent in cameo, super valuable in deep cameo. That one really needs to get graded!
    Another great set of pics!
    Can you share dates and mintmarks from the seated coins and the trade dollar? Tough to make out many of them from the photo.
    thanks for sharing again!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darth, PM me about that acquired taste test !

In the meantime, it's good seeing a COIN thread survive image
  • Options
    Tonedbuff – Thanks again! That coin board is in a state of “lock-down” so I don’t have quick access. (Ironically, I think I had some of those photographs - and as mentioned earlier - I somehow deleted them.) image The only thing I have is the original pic of the board (with better resolution.) No mint mark help, but these are the dates I see:

Column 1 (Seated halves): 1840?, 1848?, 185?, 1877
    Column 2 dollars are: 1846 and 1877
    Column 3 seated halves: 1877, 1858, 1875

Again, not much help – but this is why the C.U. board is great. Now I know I need to go back and check those.

<< <i>Darth, PM me about that acquired taste test !

In the meantime, it's good seeing a COIN thread survive image >>

While the thread certainly won’t survive much longer (last sets of pics coming tomorrow) hopefully some of its effects will last a lifetime…

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While the thread certainly won’t survive much longer >>

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin collectors do a service for future generations, won't you agree ?
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While the thread certainly won’t survive much longer (last sets of pics coming tomorrow) hopefully some of its effects will last a lifetime… >>

Fear not - there are still many chapters to be added to this saga. Just because you will soon be out of pictures to post, I'm sure we will all like to follow along as you:

Venture through the grading process (And new pics of the slabs that come back I"m sure image )
    Venture through which family member picks which coin(s) to keep
    Venture through the sale of the remaining pieces

Still plenty of time to hit 500 posts for this thread...

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Well, you may want to spend some time with those seated coins! Good news is, unlike proofs, with only a little care, these can be handled, and there is little risk of causing any damage, as long as you work over a soft surface, and handle by the edges. In fact, assuming these are all circulated (even if high end AU) you are not going to hurt these at all. Like I said, just handle by the edges as a standard practice.
    Anyhow, that 1846 looks to be a strong AU. If AU55ish, then that is a thousand dollar coin. If a 58 possibly more. It certainly appears to be (again, a closeup would help) at least an AU50 to 55 from what I can see. That is a phenominal coin!
    As for the seated halves, a couple look like high end XF or AU's and these can be several hundred a pop or more. As per above, pop them out and find the mintmark if any!
    You know, the thread may go on hold, or may change purposes, but don't for a minute think that you have to let it die, even should you chose to keep every coin!
    This adventure is about the coins, and their journey has a long ways to go! Surely a lot of these will go off to grading, and we all want to see those results. Even should you decide to keep every coin, I for one strongly recommend PCGS or NGC slabbing for two reasons:
    1. Protect these coins. Especially the proofs and the commems. That slab will keep them safe.
    2. Determine the value for insurance and other reasons. The grading will confidently allow you to determine the value.

Every single coin has to be pictured all over again and talked about all over again after it is in a slab! I am sure that by now you realize that all of us coin nuts love gabbing about this grade versus that, the wrong calls, the right calls, etc!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at the very least, the coins have brought the family closer together!
  • Options
    Hello everyone- It's cousin #3 here. I've been lurking silently and letting Jim and Mark do all the talking since my last post, but wanted to add a few notes before the thread winds down.

Many of you have commented what a beautiful thing it is that our grandfather (Grampy) had a great passion for collecting these coins, which in turn has given us, the six grandchildren/cousins, a lot of joy and reconnected us after many years being out of touch.

That's very true. But for me what's also true is that the collection and this thread have enabled me to reconnect with *him* in a way that I haven't been able to experience since he passed away years ago. This collection was an example of a "project" (one of many) that Grampy dove into with a giddy passion. His enthusiasm was made up of one part wonder, one part adventure, and two parts dream for a better life -- if not for him than at least for his children and grandchildren.

Each one of his projects was a creative outlet and a way of expressing his character and personality. And you must understand...what a character (and wonderful grandfather) he was. Jim and Mark gave some background on Grampy earlier in the thread, but here are a few of my own memories of Grampy from my visits to Carlsbad NM as a kid:

Grampy's woodshop behind the house: we're talking full scale industrial woodworking equipment, including bandsaws, lathe, drill press, you name it. The shop was his refuge and the place where he'd experiment and make cool items, such as a toy red fire engine with wooden gears inside that made the siren and lights on top spin when it rolled.

Patents for gadgets: he was always coming up with ideas that he would try to get patented with hope that he might invent a big seller. One I remember was a special tray he built for use in a car to hold drinks and food -- this was long before the days of cupholders in cars. He used his woodshop to rough out a prototype for demo purposes.

Liniments: Grampy was a competitive track athlete at LSU, until he dropped out to support the rest of his family -- a very George Bailey story if you know what I mean. Later he became a trainer for track athletes and he would cook up his own "liniments" to treat the cramped muscles of fatigued runners (think a homemade form of Ben Gay in a bottle with about 10X the punch). I can still smell that intense Ben Gay odor from that mysterious yellow bottle of liniment!

Other secret recipes: Grampy was famous for many other elaborate secret recipes, beyond the liniment. Jim already mentioned Grampy's barbeque sauce. I don't know if any of the cousins got a copy of that recipe from Grampy, but if I recall it had a list of ingredients as long as my arm and took him 2 days to prepare. The absurdly elaborate process for making the sauce was a badge of honor to him and made the sauce special. Likewise, he had his own recipe for homemade custard ice-cream, and I can remember sitting outside with him pouring rock salt into the ice bucket as he turned the hand crank of the homemade ice cream machine. He also had great recipes for homemade pralines, biscuits and gravy, and I could go on... image

Pre-permit driving: The country roads in New Mexico are pretty deserted once you're 10 miles outside of Carlsbad, which made it the perfect place to let a 8 year old kid try his hand at driving. I remember sitting on Grampy's lap while he handled the gas and brake pedals (my legs didn't reach) and I took the wheel like real grown up, blissfully tooling down the New Mexico byways in that big red Ford LTD...

Don't mess with Grampy's kids: Often we'd go to a local park in Carlsbad where they had a big playground "rocket" you could climb in and around. Grampy would just sit off to the side on a bench and let us play to our heart's content. One day, some bully kid in a cowboy hat started picking a fight with one of my brothers, pushing him and saying "did you spit on my hat?!" Things started to escalate and then we heard a thunderous CRACK reverberate in the air like a powerful rifle shot. But it wasn't a gun. No, our dear 75 year old grandfather saw trouble brewing and went to his trunk to get one of his favorite props -- a 10 foot leather bullwhip. He knew how to crack that thing like you cannot believe (he taught me and I can still do it to this day!). All heads turned towards the explosive sound. There the bully and his punk friends stood staring at this crazed old man with a bullwhip, readying for another crack. He made it clear that his grandsons would not be bothered by the likes of them, thank you very much. I swear that bully kid in his stupid hat nearly wet himself. Never has there been a hero like our grandfather was to us that day.

And I could go on and on...but won't. image But I hope this gives a little more color to understand the man who collected this great set of coins. He was a guy who grew up poor in Louisiana, who completed some college but never was able finish as he put his younger sibling's needs above his own, who worked as a surveyor for the railroads, then in the Carlsbad potash mines, then opened a donut shop, among other adventures. All the while he was working on his side projects, designing elaborate wooden toys, cooking up liniments, mixing up pralines, applying for patents (oh yeah, and collecting coins) with a hope that he'd someday make it big.

Maybe with this thread, and his terrific coin collection that we're about to get graded, he's finally gotten his wish to make it big in some way. Go Grampy -- we love you!

Thanks to all of you for the great advice, support, and guidance. It's made a huge difference to all of us. It's not just the education on the coins' value, but also the way your enthusiasm has helped us get excited about the collection and really understand on a different level what Grampy pulled together. You guys rock, and we will definitely keep you informed of our progress!

All the best,
    -Bob (the youngest cousin)

Cousin 3 of the Carlsbad Contingent
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This entire thread is a treasure.

Thanks Cousin3 (and others) for the wonderful anecdotes about your grandpa! They really add to the enjoyment of this thread for me.

What I find fascinating is such things as how he collected. I'd love to know how he went about acquiring the commemoratives. I assume he ordered the proofs from the mint. As you realize by now, the commemoratives and proofs are real knockout coins! Also the other "peripheral" coins are really interesting. These need to be carefully catalogued and graded. There are probably some nice coins amidst those rolls and packages. For example, I noticed he had a 1885 Nickel in probably good condition in a nickel board. That is a $500+ coin right there alone! The 1912-S is another $140 in good. Other posters have pointed out the potential value of the Seated Liberty coins. These peripheral items and the associated ephemera (collecting boards, pamphlets, etc.) are really interesting and give one insight into collecting back in the 1930's through the 1960's. This collection could even be the subject of a fine historically-oriented article on collecting in that era, in some ways similar to the insights gained from researching the recent hoards (e.g., NY subway hoard) that have hit the market recently. The museum comment by another poster also hits upon the historical dimension of this collection. It sure would be nice if there was more info on how and why he collected the way he did.

I am not a dealer, but I have seen a couple of old time collections when I was young and they were really neat to see. One sees the collectors interests and gets a sense of what collecting was like during those periods. For both collections I looked at, it was apparent that they collected from circulation and then filled holes with mid to low grade specimens of dates they couldn't readily acquire in circulation. They also ventured into 18th century coins to some extent. In this case, your Grandpa had a very fine eye for quality in assembling the centerpiece series (the commemoratives) that I haven't seen in the other collections I've looked at. The proofs show his discipline in ordering them every year from the US Mint. The other material show his wide range of interest in coins. I sit here and am fascinated with each of his coins down to the common canadians and US silver. So many of us here share the same fascination with coins (both quality, value and their variety) and it is great to see what kind of collector your Grampy was. Thanks for sharing this collection and your remembrances of your grandfather with us.

Truely a treasure of a thread!
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Nice to meet you cousin#3! Great stories! The coin collection is a great legacy, and one which it seems the family is using as a way to reconnect with a special man. Can't ask for a better result from a collecting hobby than that. I hope someday my grandkids could be brought together by my collection and share stories of my life with each other.
    I don't know if the thread is winding down though... so much more to talk about. Besides, Darth, you GOTTA show some great pics of that Spanish Trail again! That thing is the crown jewel...
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    wow, thanks for joining in #3, adds a whole new perspective, and of course Darth for the spectacular finale....
  • Options
    Barberian – I think I speak for all of us (grandkids) thanking you – and everyone here- for the wonderful comments. I just can’t get over how much people are willing to write and share.

I don’t know how or when my grandfather gathered the commemoratives and proofs. I’m hoping between family members we can figure some things out. Ironically, he loved to talk and tell stories – but I can’t remember ever hearing anything about his collection. Too bad – as Tonedbuff said in the first thread – “every coin has a story…”

Bob – wow!! I was thinking about what comments to make for the last picture sets, but… I can’t begin to compete with that! You and Jim have added so much – this thread has been a blast for me! (I hope the other “silent three” are enjoying this as much as we are!)

Also Bob - your post just brought light to something that should have been painfully obvious to me. I always assumed the “picture” I had of Grammy & Grampy was the same you (and the other 5) had based on our summer visits. How silly is that? Obviously, from the grandkids point of view, I only know and carry one-sixth of the “story.”

As my father (John) pointed-out, maybe bringing the grandkids closer together was Grampy’s ultimate goal/wish by passing this wonderful collection down to us. Whether or not that’s the case – for me - the collection has done its job.

Tonedbuff/zenny – the pressure… I can’t handle this pressure!!! Honestly – I’ve got two more picture sets, and while I do think these contain some of the better pictures – they are very similar to the previous two. I hope its not a let-down!

OK – the plan is show all remaining pictures today/tonight. First set within the hour, and the final set this evening after I load 'em up to the bucket…
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread, Darth and cousins! The coins' material worth is evident - some are really spectacular. But certainly the best part of them are the memories they're preserving for your family. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Bob (Cousin3)!
    Cool stories about grandpa by you guys!

Darth...looking forward to see more pics as you stated image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Set III

I hope I’ve kept track of what’s been shown. While there are a lot of “duplicate” commemoratives, I don’t think any of these have been posted?? I know I already posted the “Sesquicentennial of American Independence”, so I left that one off. Still… 18 more commemoratives in a “black coin board.” (I really like the ship on the Pilgrim reverse.) This followed by a 4 more random coin board pics, and a 1942 proof set. (53 total)

Commemorative Board B

Miscellaneous Coin Boards (Thanks M&M!)

42 Proof Set #1

=====End Set III Thanks for looking! ===========
  • Options
    This thread just keeps getting better and better with the additional pictures.

The early silver (bust, seated and trade coins) in the album pages may have substantial value. The proofs sets have substantial value. The Commems have substantial value.

It would not surprise me at all to see the value (even wholesale value) of the collection easily go into the 6 figure range. Heck it may go alot higher than $100,000.00. If so, what a great financial gift from Grandfather to the grandkids and great grandkids (college tuition for the great grandkids anyone?).

I hope that Darth5oh and his family keep this thread alive by giving us updates as to the results of slabbing the nicer coins. We can ooh and ahh over the grades assigned to the coins by the grading company(ies) to which the coins are submitted. No doubt some grades will be extremely high (maybe even a pop top or two), for example the Spanish Trail commem.
  • Options
    Amazing - just when I think there won't be any more surprises, you pull out even more gorgeous commems! That Roanoake coin especially stands out to me, but there are so many that are slab worthy.
    Others have pointed this out, but don't overlook some of the lower-grade halves. I can't make out the dates on a lot of them, but something tells me your grandpa knew what he was doing when he put them away - you might have some rarer dates in there. Barberian mentioned this about the Liberty nickel board - he has the 2 of the 3 key dates in there (not counting the 1913 - please don't tell me you're going to pull one of them out too!). If you (or one of the cousins) are looking for something to keep, that might be a good choice. It has some value, its nearly a complete set and your grandpa obviously put some time into putting it together (I can just picture him going through change looking for those v nickels).
    Also, I see a couple of Washington 25¢ but can't make out the dates - look out for the 1932 D & S mintmarks.
  • Options
    I continue to be stunned by the seated and bust coins... as stated above, those may be very valuable coins! Some of these, even in worn condition, can fetch big dollars, and you have some in great condition! I also see that one on the bottom right of the halves that looks to have amazing target toning... what do those colors look like up close? For those, I think you still may want to get dates and date marks and close up pics and solicit opinions from the boards. You will likely be shocked at the value of those couple of boards of seated and bust halves and dollars. Really shocked!
    As said before, the collection keeps getting better and better!
  • Options
    I concur with Tonedbuff. The seated and bust coinage (I also saw trade dollar(s)) are very intriguing. Some look very nice with target toning and do not appear to be low end (AG, of Good) specimens. Darth5oh. If you can do so, please provide the dates and mint marks of the seated, bust and trade dollar silver coinage.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    awesome........just awesome.

I'm on the boat with TonedBuff and SanctionII. There very well may be some tough Overton Bust 1/2's in those albums that will bring a real premium.

As I read all of the different cousin's input, this thing gets better and better. Not just the coins, but the journey of a real Collector! Alot of us would want this sort of legacy!

Thanks all of "Grampy's kin folk!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    This continues to be a great collection. Keep us informed on grades.
  • Options
    Some more grading opinions to help fill in the spreadsheet (just ones I don't recall seeing before)
    San Diego 1 - 64/65
    #2 - 64
    #3 64
    #4 63
    Cleveland 1 - 65+
    #2 - 63
    #3 - 64
    Arkensas 60/61
    Roanoke 65
    (assuming those lines on reverse are on plastic not on coin)
    Pilgrim - (wow, nice skin) 65+
    Lexington - harsh cleaning? maybe worn then cleaned?
    Robinson - nice 65

And yes, the proofs are all to die for... cameo cents... NICE!
  • Options
    I see what looks like two 1932 Quarters in the coin board pics. If these quarters are from Denver or San Francisco (look for the D or S mintmark at the bottom of the reverse), the coins are worth hundreds of dollars in circulated condition and together, $1,000.00 + in uncirculated condition.

As I continue to follow this thread, I imagine how fun it would be to sit down with the secondary part of the collection (the stuff other than the Uncirculated Commems and the Proof Sets) and look through same for rare date circulated 19th and early 20th century coins, for condition rarities in the post 1930 uncirculated coins, for key date circulated and uncirculated coins and for "Cherrypicker's" varieties in all of uncirculated and circulated coins.

I also imagine how fun it would be to also look for varieties in the Commems and the Proof Sets.

The fun of this thread never seems to end. Instead of having it die out now, my hope is that it goes into hibernation for a while (to allow Darth5oh and his family time to complete the inventory and if they choose have the better coins conserved and/or graded by a TPG) only to surface again with an update that gives a summary of the collection (i.e. 25 bust halves, 13 bust quarters, 58 walkers, 12 proof sets from 1936-1942, 185 Silver Commems, 35 rolls of early wheaties, etc.) and the grades assigned by the TPG's (i.e. MS67 for the Spanish Trail Commem that kicked off the fun, and PF 65 across the board for the 1936 Proof Set).

If that type of an update to this thread is ever given by Darth5oh and his family, the forumites who have been living vicariously through this thread and its predecessor will go even more nuts than we have already.
  • Options
    SanctionII – wow, I know it was mentioned before, but that value would be a great surprise! And we’ll certainly pass on any worthy updates. And thanks for your wonderful comments just above!

halfhunter2 – Thanks! I’ll need to check on the quarters! 1932??

Tonedbuff (and Wes) – I think I posted some (at least 2) of those bust halves earlier in the thread. I’ll go back and check. And thanks for the spreadsheet update!

tmot99 - thanks!

OK - someone needs to post a comment so this thing will roll to the next page - I don't want to add another 60+ pics (to load up) on this page! lol...

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    MORE PICTURESimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file