Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Nice glove Mike!

Looking at the pic, the glove seems dark. Does it have an endorsement signature on the palm? How's the condition of the back?

Great pickup!
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice glove Mike!

Looking at the pic, the glove seems dark. Does it have an endorsement signature on the palm? How's the condition of the back?

Great pickup! >>

Hi Steve - thanx - the glove is endorsed by Ray French who played in the bigs for 3 yrs - in the early 20s - for the Yanks, Robins and White Sox - not a very good player by ML standards.

The back is OK - there's some leather wear in the heel of the palm which is typical - my disappointment was that the leather is pretty dry and stiff - I'm working on that - as I said.

I bought it since it can be dated to the early 1920s.
    Mike
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>I just received a really cool set of 1920's boxing strip cards. This is the first one I've seen that's completely intact, a little beaten up, but complete. And you can't really tell in the photo, but the Jack Dempsey card is in fantastic shape! Thanks for letting me share.

image >>

Those are awesome, what are they? I am always surprised by how little vintage boxing brings compared to their counterparts in other sports. I get the difference in demand and that boxing seems to be in steady decline, but I am still surprised more collectors don't at least dabble in boxing given how affordable and historical some of these boxing greats are.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>I have these two on the way. Why do I have that Tom Petty song stuck in my head???.....The Waiting!!! image

image >>

Awesome eye appeal for the grade with centering and registration that are very strong for this release.

As much as I like SGC's black gasket for many cards, I wonder if it makes the corner wear more evident than it would be in a PSA slab?

Snorto~
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Awesome eye appeal for the grade with centering and registration that are very strong for this release.

As much as I like SGC's black gasket for many cards, I wonder if it makes the corner wear more evident than it would be in a PSA slab?

Snorto~ >>

Thanks Snorto. Corner wear is the only thing holding it back. No creasing or wrinkles anywhere and the SGC slab does exentuate the corner wear. It is definitely a high end 3/low end 4. I'm stoked to finally have one with great centering and focus. image
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just received a really cool set of 1920's boxing strip cards. This is the first one I've seen that's completely intact, a little beaten up, but complete. And you can't really tell in the photo, but the Jack Dempsey card is in fantastic shape! Thanks for letting me share.

image >>

Those are awesome, what are they? I am always surprised by how little vintage boxing brings compared to their counterparts in other sports. I get the difference in demand and that boxing seems to be in steady decline, but I am still surprised more collectors don't at least dabble in boxing given how affordable and historical some of these boxing greats are.

Snorto~ >>

There are a few variations to these, but I believe they are from the 1925 W529 set. And I agree with you regarding vintage boxing cards - I'm surprised there aren't more collectors following them. But at the same time, it makes it easier for me to purchase cool items like this.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Mike, the glove is totally awesome! Great pick up!

The boxing strip is also very cool.

Finally, gotta love the 52's! An easy set to become obsessed with.

The variety of items on this thread continues to inspire and amaze. Thanks.

Robert
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of nice ones from an ebay buy...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't contributed to this thread for a while, thought I'd share my recent pre-war pickups, enjoy!

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Very nice pickups Mike.

Super Cochrane card! Would go good with the DS Foxx - great pickups - I picked up the Davis card - raw - in 1992 before he went into the HOF - so I got a really good deal. Super.
    Mike
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Mike, you got some blazers there as well as some amazing star power! Are those bad boys on the way to PSA? I'd love to hear what you get for grades, you got some strong candidates there.

paleocards, love the really old stuff! Those cards have some great eye appeal and super strong colors for the grades. Nice pick up!

Here is my newest addition to my Carl Willey collection. Carlton only appeared on The Sporting News cover once, in 1958 when he was named TSN Rookie Pitcher of the Year.

I was recently lucky enough to acquire the original hand drawing used for that cover. I was pretty happy to find it, I thought it would have been long gone by now.

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Great pic Steve!

I'm a big fan of stuff like that - happy you picked it up.
    Mike
  • Options
    My latest upgrade to my Mike Schmidt Basic Set

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Holy crappola, what a treasure trove of stuff! Mike - I picked up a '50s or '60s glove of an old Washington Senator/MN Twin. I thought that would be a nice thing to display some of my Senators/Twins cards on. Nice pickup of yours!

I was amazed to find this in the mail today. I sent a big boxing fan a 1930s Exhibit of a boxer he didn't have, and he sent me this for my S/T type collection:

Sweet Peters Meats! imageimage

This card fits right into my collection, part of which can be seen at this link...
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    A couple of raw cards to upgrade my Mets collection.

imageimage
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    My newest pick-ups for the 51 set....11 more to go...

• Options
    Absolute beauties Ryan!

I always admire your FB stuff.

Mike - I've never seen that issue before - Peters? I think the earliest Kaat I have is a 60T. Nice.

That's a sweet Schmidt 10!

And congrats on picking up some upgrades for your Mets run - Mike.

I wanted to say something about the soccer card TH - but I don't know what I'm looking at?
    Mike
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    One of my recent Aaron pick ups. Sending it in on my next submission. What grade do you think it will receive?

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Very nice Aaron - James.

Not familiar with the grading of that issue - the lower right corner is the one in question from what I can see?

Good luck on the sub.
    Mike
  • Options
    It has a bad corner or two and the back is o/c, but it's nice for the grade. Paid barely over $100 shipped. Several PSA 7s have sold in the $125-140 range on ebay recently. I could definitely see this card in a 7 holder.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Added this to my rips thread but figured I would double post. Down to 2 cards needed for my 1970 and up HOF Football RC PSA 9 collection (89 Score Deion Sanders and 85 Topps Richard Dent).

• Options
    Two FB beauties and a super Schmidt!

I'm showing something off the wall here - Winky Dink and You - 1953. I know - I'm old - I was there!

Bill Gates praised this as the first interactive game for children! The key thing is that one takes a plastic sheet - place it on the TV screen - and draw on it - Winky got into all kinds of problems where the children in "TV Land" would have to do bail Winky out of a jam with drawing him a bridge or a life boat or something like that...

And - if ya got a second - check out the beginning of the intro - can anything be more hokey?

Show hosted by Jack Barry.

But, ya gotta think back to 1953 - space travel? Pure Sci-Fi! No computers, no video games, not even an affordable portable radio!
    Mike
  • Options
    Steve - Wiley may not be much to look at, but there is beauty in the fact that piece landed in your collection... what are the chances?!

Ryan - Have I mentioned how great it is to have you back amongst the rest of us cardboard addicts? That Marchetti is simply stunning!

Mike - Never heard of Winky Dink, I don't get to say this too much, so let me revel in it a bit... that was before my time. image

A few of my recent highlights, starting with additions to some sets I am working on (will need to upgrade Hutson - the others I can live with):

I finally tracked down the Faulk to finish up this 2000 Upper Deck Pros & Prospects Signature Piece 1 set:

This is the first time I have ever seen one of these and suspect it would have gone much higher had it been offered in auction instead of as a BIN:

And I really like this piece because it relates to Payton's other sport passion:

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

Snorto~

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Recent pickup from Ron Burgundy:

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    I've picked up a few more games - I'm running out of room for them!

The first:

Electric Baseball - Jim Prentice - 1954

This is Model 42-B - and is a marriage of the style from the 63-B and senior model 66-B; also the pitcher on this box can be seen on the "motor action" models of the later 50s.

Also, the 42-B is an unusually "low-tech" version - featuring a cardboard gameboard rather than the usual masonite type material and has a box bottom not found in other models.

Now to the game that's new to me...

B-B Ball Players Baseball Game - 1957 - Jon Weber Manufactory - Cleveland, OH

The only thing I can say for sure is that it's a game of chance with the roll of the dice and the fact that they say it's a very fast game - 9 innings - 9 minutes.
    Since it's factory or should I say "manufactory" sealed - I won't open it and will be going across the street for input on the game - i.e., if anyone has played it?
    This looks like the perfect game to take to the park for kids and have some fun when too hot to play ball, e.g.

Mike
  • Options
    Great set of games Mike.

The dice game seems pretty interesting to me. I think younger kids would have liked it although I'm sure the games didn't last once one of the dice was lost hence the rarity of it.

One of these days we'll have to visit and play some of your games. You notice I said some because if we tried to play all your games we would be playing for at least a month. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Mike, you should start collecting the baseball pinball machines! You've gotta have all the board games by now!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    My recent "bad" boy. A bit worried about right hand side, but SGC is here tomorrow for a pre-grade just in case before I send it across the US

• Options
    Very nice pickup Ted!

Mike - thanx - and yes - it would take some time to play all the games! Seriously tho - many are way too fragile to play.

Mark - pinball machines are really cool - but kind of pricey and I've got little space for that - but ya know? Even tho I have quite a few games - I haven't scratched the surface with respect to all the games out there - and I'm strictly talking about games that come from the 50s or earlier!

The list is quite long - and some of the game - especially from the turn of the century are out of my price range.

Always on the lookout....image
    Mike
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Absolute beauties John x 2.

Mike
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Got this today from board member Daverat. Thanks to David for the quick service and fast delivery. I think a nice '62 Banks 6 that is centered pretty well. Good deal for $32 I think. Doug

• Options
    Yes - that's a sweet Banks!

Here's an item that - not only "boomers" loved but is still around to this very day.

Silly Putty

This one was made before 1977 - since it's made by Silly Putty which was purchased by Crayola in 1977. I was surprised that I could find something that old still unopened.

Silly Putty was made serendipitously by a few scientists who were looking for a suitable synthetic rubber during WWII since natural rubber was in short supply. Since it was worthless - the formula was dropped.

It was patented by one of the inventors. Occasionally the product was brought up at parties and gatherings - and it was a toy store owner who decided to package the stuff and sell it in her store and in a catalog. She had a marketer who helped write her catalog who later came up with the idea of bringing it to a toy fair in NYC where it sold like hotcakes! And, the rest is history. BTW - the big take off of the product was when it was advertised on Captain Kangaroo and Howdy Doody Show in 1957.

Main players: patent inventor: Earl Warrick; shop owner: the Block Shop - Ruth Falgatter and the marketer and founder of Silly Putty: Peter Hodgson.
    Mike
  • Options
    Progress on my 61 set:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    A recent eBay win that showed up today.

• Options
    Super Aaron!

Next to the 57T - my next favorite.
    Mike
  • Options
    Just got it yesterday! I was just under 10 yrs old when the 1st Christopher Reeve Supeman movie came out. I have 1978 Superman #4 in a PSA 10 1/1, great pic of Chris. I was waiting for the lowest number George Reeve I could find with a low pop in a PSA 9. This is 1/5 so far. So now I have both Reeves. Hope you don't mind being non sport on your thread.

• Options

<< <i>Just got it yesterday! I was just under 10 yrs old when the 1st Christopher Reeve Supeman movie came out. I have 1978 Superman #4 in a PSA 10 1/1, great pic of Chris. I was waiting for the lowest number George Reeve I could find with a low pop in a PSA 9. This is 1/5 so far. So now I have both Reeves. Hope you don't mind being non sport on your thread.

image >>

"Super" card!

I was a big fan.

on the non sport? Heck I showed Mr Potato Head! image

So, bring it on!
    Mike
  • Options
    Mr Potato Head! Sweet...........
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Here's a couple of recent additions to my vintage boxing collection - and I apologize for the dirty scanner.
    The first card is the only example of this card I've seen for sale - 1920 Juncosa Chocolates (JACK DEMPSEY). As far as I can tell - this is the first card of the more popular Jack Dempsey.

And these next two were from a recent 8-card lot I picked up. These are 1928 Amatller Chocolates (Spain) (Jack Dempsey & Gene Tunney). I've seen a few of these for sale - but never in this nice of condition.

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Silly Putty! Love that one, Mike.image

Clean 61's, Side.

Great stuff guys.

Robert
  • Options
    Thanx for the kind words guys.

Robert - in case I didn't mention - I'm looking for 'favorite' toys from the boomer yrs.

So 2 boomer projects: toys and lobby cards from Sci-Fi/horror/thriller movies when I was a kid.

The fun thing also is learning about the product - like the history behind the Duncan Yo-Yo and Silly Putty e.g.
    Mike
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I got these many years ago but I thought Mike would enjoy. I'm sure he has all of these. Love the graphics on the electric baseball game and I think something is missing inside but it's still cool. The football game is awesome as well. Take care. Doug

• Options
    Doug, if Mike doesn't he'll be PM'ing you. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    ToneD, very nice Aaron. Congrats!!!

I noticed that the flip indicates "White Name". Is that more rare? Do you know what the other variation is? Just curious.

Thanks.

Collecting:
  • Options

Sure do Doug - parts are usually missing from these games - unfortunately.

What you have is the Model 73B - there were about 4 iterations of the game around 1953 - basically 2 different designs or variations.

You have the "No holes" variation on the board - so there's no place to store the base runners - I also have the variation which has the holes for the runners.

Notice the red and yellow pegs on the right and left sides that aren't present in the other variation.
    Mike
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I couldn't resist. I love the heritage cards so I couldn't help pulling the trigger on this...

• Options
    Very nice Jeter.

That's my favorite of the Heritage years - and the cards were cut well that year - as we move along by 2007 and 8, I became very disenchanted with the cut on the cards - way too many have chips from the cutting of the cards IMO.

Thanx everyone for showing your stuff.
    Mike