Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Posted online (SI.com) by HOF Voter Peter King today:

4. Saturday's other big meeting. The 44 Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors gather Saturday in downtown Dallas to pick the 2011 class of enshrinees. I expect Deion Sanders to moonwalk in, and from talking to some of my peers on the committee, I'd say the next most-logical guy is Marshall Faulk. After that, it's the usual maelstrom. My best guess -- and that is all it is, because I am consistently wrong on this -- is that the other three slots (assuming we elect the maximum five modern-era candidates) will go to Richard Dent, Shannon Sharpe and NFL Films founder Ed Sabol. But if Cris Carter, Charles Haley, Andre Reed, Tim Brown, Curtis Martin, Dermonti Dawson, Willie Roaf or Jerome Bettis have their name called Saturday night on NFL Network when the class is announced, I will not be surprised.

Glad he's seeing it my way...lol image

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Any new insight regarding the Senior guys?
  • Options

<< <i>Any new insight regarding the Senior guys? >>

Nothing new. Each Senior candidate has a good share of supporters. But it takes 80% (36 of the 44 voters) for induction...

Those guys won't shake out until the meeting on Saturday. I'm actually working tomorrow (Hawaii time too), but will try and get an early word on the Seniors. They vote them right off the bat and typically take breaks during the modern discussions, prior to announcing which Seniors got the vote. In the past, I've gotten the early word (by a few hours)...

If I can get it again and have computer access I will post here.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    There is a report here in Fort Worth and on Twitter that Dan Rooney is lobbying to block Ed Sabol's nomination because he isn't a player. What's up with that?

There is also another report from a Philadelphia reporter that a very highly ranked NFL official is lobbying to voters to keep Sabol out at least until Tagliabue gets in. He is IDed as Joe Brown and is the longest-tenured league executive, having recently moved to a senior adviser role after his run as Executive VP of Communications and Public Affairs. He is denying all reports

This type of contention getting out to the media doesn't bode well for Sabols enshrinement. Where there is a little smoke leaking out might mean behind closed doors in the voters room a very fiery debate going on. My personal opinion is that the since the hall already has many non-players I would deem Mr. Sabol very deserving. No way the NFL would be where it is now without his unique contributions

David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Considering that there is actually a backlog of quality player-nominees who deserve one of the five modern slots, I can understand the reluctance to vote for a non-player. That said, maybe the NFL needs to look into adding a contributor slot that doesn't count against the seven enshrinee (5 modern + 2 senior) limit. The contributor enshrinee could be used for people like Sabol, plus owners, coaches, league executives, and others who have contributed to the advancement of the NFL and belong in the HOF, but aren't being voted in based on their playing career.

I'm not really familiar with baseball, but isn't there a similar HOF enshrinement process for non-players?
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering that there is actually a backlog of quality player-nominees who deserve one of the five modern slots, I can understand the reluctance to vote for a non-player. That said, maybe the NFL needs to look into adding a contributor slot that doesn't count against the seven enshrinee (5 modern + 2 senior) limit. The contributor enshrinee could be used for people like Sabol, plus owners, coaches, league executives, and others who have contributed to the advancement of the NFL and belong in the HOF, but aren't being voted in based on their playing career.

I'm not really familiar with baseball, but isn't there a similar HOF enshrinement process for non-players? >>

I agree on adding the contributor spot but Ed and Steve Sabol have done so much to help create interest in the game and preserve league history that I believe they each deserve a spot in the HOF.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not really familiar with baseball, but isn't there a similar HOF enshrinement process for non-players? >>

Yes. See my comment a few posts earlier.

I don't even think it's possible to quantify the level of interest that Ed and Steve Sabol have generated for the NFL, especially in their early years when the NFL was not the behemoth it is today. Yes, contributors and players should be voted on separately. But this is what we have now, and it would be an absolute travesty for Sabol not to get in this year.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not really familiar with baseball, but isn't there a similar HOF enshrinement process for non-players? >>

Yes. See my comment a few posts earlier.

I don't even think it's possible to quantify the level of interest that Ed and Steve Sabol have generated for the NFL, especially in their early years when the NFL was not the behemoth it is today. Yes, contributors and players should be voted on separately. But this is what we have now, and it would be an absolute travesty for Sabol not to get in this year. >>

If Sabol does NOT make it this year, he will never get in. Short of the HOF committee changing the policy to make a separate spot/vote for contributors/owners. Keep in mind, this has been discussed the past few years as a possible option. And whatever happens with Sabol maybe gives them the push to finally create a contributor spot. What has been discussed is using one of the 2 Senior HOF slots every other year or every third year. They would select a non player in the same way and at the same time that they select the Senior candidate.

Adding an 8th spot to the maximum allowed class, I dont think is going to happen anytime soon if ever.

Jason
  • Options
    I'd hate to see what happened to Ron Santo happen to Ed Sabol. Santo died recently before he got in the Hall of Fame, and I believe he'll make it in next time he's eligible. Truly an example of continuously dropping the ball by the voters. At 94, Sabol is not going to be around much longer, so this is 99.99% his last chance to get in while he's still with us. Let's hope the voters do the right thing. And shame on Rooney, Joe Brown, and any other clown lobbying against him. The vast majority of what I and a lot of other people know about the game and players before our time is because of NFL Films.

Here's a nice article about Sabol from today from a newspaper in NJ (where NFL Films is located):

Sabol Article
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    Just got this back from PSA.
    Not looking to move it, but I would trade it for a '65 Namath PSA 6 that would help me in the set.
    Tom

imageimage
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't say it any better than Andy.
    I Believe Santo should have been in long ago also.
    Lets not make the same mistake in FB.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    That is one nice Wojo, Tom. Congrats! Good luck in your search for a Namath 6.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't say it any better than Andy.
    I Believe Santo should have been in long ago also.
    Lets not make the same mistake in FB. >>

i am sure sabol wouldnt be the first time the FB HOF has dropped the ball and had the person pass away before finally inducting the person. if not they have been rather close lately.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    They've already missed the boat with Dilweg and Speedie and are closing in on missing it with Wistert. Hopefully Sabol will avoid the same fate.
  • Options
    Do you guys know if they wait until the end of the 90 minute specail to announce inductees or do they announce them throughout the show. Unfortunately I do not get the NFL Network.

Thanks,
    Doc
  • Options
    HOF meeting just concluded. I'll do my best to get the early word and post here. At work posting via iphone, so no guarantee. but keep checking back if you are interested.

Doc, I will have the names NLT 7 PM EST and will hopefully have a minute to post them. I don't know how they are running the show this year, but usually they are all announced at once, 10-15 minutes after the show starts.

Jason
  • Options
    Neither Steeler selected for HOF. Confirmed.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone interested in joining a Super Bowl Squares pool that I'm running? The cost is $20 per square and the payout is $500 per quarter. Let me know.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Neither Steeler selected for HOF. Confirmed. >>

Jason,

So - down to 15 possible candidates. Has you been able to confirm the # of HOFers selected?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Jason, thanks

Doc
  • Options
    Watch live at NFL.com!
  • Options
    Shannon Sharpe
    Les Richter
    Marshall Faulk
    Richard Dent
    Deion Sanders
    Chris Hanburger
    Ed Sabol
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Dent
    Faulk
    Sanders
    Hanburger
    Richter
    Sabol
    Sharpe
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Deleted because I was 3rd to post. LOL..

What passion we have!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Wow - one of the better classes in a while. I'm really, really surprised that Andre Reed made the final 10 but Carter and Brown didnt'....crazy.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Wow - one of the better classes in a while. I'm really, really surprised that Andre Reed made the final 10 but Carter and Brown didnt'....crazy.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

I believe that was the case last year as well. Reed seems to be the next WR in.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's my guess as to how it will play out:

Sanders
    Faulk
    Sabol (WAY overdue)
    Bettis (Only because the Steelers are in the Super Bowl - I think Martin is more deserving)
    Dent
    Hanburger
    Richter >>

One off. Not bad. I'm very happy with this class. I'm glad that Sabol finally got his due. I'm happy that neither of the Senior spots went to waste because I thought both players were very deserving. I remain perplexed at how the voters view Cris Carter, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for next year.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot believe that Carter and Haley keep getting passed over. Also I think it was overdue for Sabol to get in, but I do not like that he takes up a player's spot one bit. Should have a contributor category for him to go under.

Is it too early to start talking about next year?

Like to see:

Willie Roaf
    Curtis Martin
    Charles Haley
    Chris Carter
    Jerome Bettis

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    The voters have made it pretty clear the last couple of years that Carter is not going in anytime soon, he can't even crack the top 10 while Reed has made the cut to 10 the last 2 years. Reed is long overdue and should go in before Carter IMHO.

ETA: Jason, I remember last year the additions to the set came pretty quickly, within a week if memory serves. Any idea if we'll get similar turnaround this year?
  • Options
    I just listed a PSA 6 Richter if anyone is interested.

LINKimage

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Well, I was 5 for 5 on my modern predictions. 1 for 2 with the Seniors...Not bad...

Glad to see Dent finally get his due. He's been waiting the longest among the eligible players this year. Sabol as well, he may have been the most deserving of them all.

Next year, here's my early prediction:

Bill Parcells
    Willie Roaf
    Curtis Martin
    Cortez Kennedy
    Andre Reed
  • Options
    Saturday February 06, 2010 5:36 PM

So early predictions on Class of 2011??? lol

Deion Sanders
    Marshall Faulk
    Willie Roaf
    Richard Dent
    Shannon Sharpe

I actually got 4 of the 5 correct on my early predictions last year...Of course Ed Sabol was the surprise candidate who came up back in November. Had he not gotten the push that he did, Roaf would have been the 5th. Roaf goes in next year, no question.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I was 5 for 5 on my modern predictions. 1 for 2 with the Seniors...Not bad...

Glad to see Dent finally get his due. He's been waiting the longest among the eligible players this year. Sabol as well, he may have been the most deserving of them all.

Bill Parcells
    Willie Roaf
    Curtis Martin
    Cortez Kennedy
    Andre Reed >>

How will the selection of 2 LB's effect those from the senior pool that are still waiting?

title.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, I was 5 for 5 on my modern predictions. 1 for 2 with the Seniors...Not bad...

Bill Parcells
    Willie Roaf
    Curtis Martin
    Cortez Kennedy
    Andre Reed >>

How will the selection of 2 LB's effect those from the senior pool that are still waiting? >>

It means that it is unlikely we will see another LB selected as a senior candidate for another 3-5 years. Good news for LC Greenwood, Claude Humphrey, Jim Marshall, Lester Hayes and Johnny Robinson. Bad news for Chuck Howley, Tommy Nobis, Dave Robinson and Randy Gradishar...When they go looking for defensive players that is...

My early guess (95% speculation) for the 2012 Senior Candidates?

Odds are on 2 Offensive players...And I will go with...Otis Taylor and Jerry Kramer
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Bill Parcells
    Willie Roaf
    Curtis Martin
    Cortez Kennedy
    Andre Reed >>

How will the selection of 2 LB's effect those from the senior pool that are still waiting? >>

It means that it is unlikely we will see another LB selected as a senior candidate for another 3-5 years. Good news for LC Greenwood, Claude Humphrey, Jim Marshall, Lester Hayes and Johnny Robinson. Bad news for Chuck Howley, Tommy Nobis, Dave Robinson and Randy Gradishar...When they go looking for defensive players that is...

My early guess (95% speculation) for the 2012 Senior Candidates?

Odds are on 2 Offensive players...And I will go with...Otis Taylor and Jerry Kramer >>

That's kinda what I figured but I wanted to see what some other opinions were. I'm still surprised both got in.

Both would be worthy senior selections.

title.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Why the big push for Andre Reed? I don't get it. I'm a Bills fan too.
    He's like Hines Ward without the rings.
    I'm not saying he wasn't a fine player, but he
    was never first team All-NFL at his position and
    never led the league in anything. He made a lot of pro bowls
    which mean nothing as they're popularity contests anyway.

Reed was always a solid, solid WR, playing on great teams
    that fell short every year. When Reed played nobody ever
    said there goes the best or second best WR in the game.
    Reed was always a top ten WR and some years he would
    be considered a top five WR, but never a top three.

He wasn't as great as Tim Brown, Cris Carter, or Sterling Sharpe.

If the Hall need's more Bills put in old Bills like Sestak,
    or a modern one like Tasker.

The Class of 2011 is great.

The Class of 2012 doesn't look as hot.
  • Options
    Amen Cardbender! image IMO Cris Carter was hands down a better, more dangerous receiver than Reed. That's not to say that Reed shouldn't be in the HOF one day, but definitely not before Carter and Brown. There is definitely some sort of bias against Carter.
  • Options

<< <i>Amen Cardbender! image IMO Cris Carter was hands down a better, more dangerous receiver than Reed. That's not to say that Reed shouldn't be in the HOF one day, but definitely not before Carter and Brown. There is definitely some sort of bias against Carter. >>

From what I am hearing, it seems like the big numbers are actually HURTING Carter...He's being portrayed as an accumulator and not a true impact/dominant player...I'm with both of you on Carter, i think he should have gotten in a couple of years ago and should easily be the first WR in line...But thats just my opinion.

The other thing that seems to be helping Reed, is that the voters who view these 3 WRs as a "dead even" race....Their tie breaker is years waiting to get in...

Take solace that all 3 will at some point get into the HOF as modern candidates. Reed has been waiting the longest and this was only his 6th year eligible of 20.

Jason
  • Options
    I haven't bothered to look at the numbers, but I would venture a guess that Reed probably leads Carter and Brown in YAC. If I had to rank them with regard to their overall effectiveness, I'd go with Andre Reed (he was on a team that ran more than they threw) followed by Tim Brown (his usefulness as a returner and 20,000+ total yards gives him the edge over Carter) and Cris Carter would be third despite his overwhelming advantage in TD receptions. Interesting that when one pulls up numbers, Andre Rison isn't too far off and is NEVER mentioned.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting that when one pulls up numbers, Andre Rison isn't too far off and is NEVER mentioned. >>

Yep...As stated above, when it comes to WR's, the numbers are so exorbitant for the players of the modern era, that the numbers are becoming a hindrance...An argument AGAINST the player...Which tends to lend credence to the "style over substance" theory...It will be more about HOW they did it rather than how many times...

Will be interesting to see how far it carries forward.

Jason

• Options
    maybe 4 straight SB appearances helps Reed, 1992 he had 8 catches for 152. after all the carter won maybe what 3 playoff games during his career.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Where was Andre on the career lists at his retirement? That, along with being a key member of a championship level team for several years, carries a lot of weight with me.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I trust we're all watching the big game today?

Ahhhh the Super Bowl.....where defensive and special teams players build the resumes of offensive players who will be remembered forever.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting that when one pulls up numbers, Andre Rison isn't too far off and is NEVER mentioned. >>

Yep...As stated above, when it comes to WR's, the numbers are so exorbitant for the players of the modern era, that the numbers are becoming a hindrance...An argument AGAINST the player...Which tends to lend credence to the "style over substance" theory...It will be more about HOW they did it rather than how many times...

Will be interesting to see how far it carries forward.

Jason >>

Jason, carefully reading and thinking about those three simple lines you wrote. I agree with you 100%. That is why, 5 or 6 years from now, I can't wait to see what happens with Moss, and T.O. When you look past the numbers, and also look at what kind of teamates they have been. Problems they have caused , both within the league and on their own teams. I hope you and I are both still around, because I can't wait to hear what your sources say went on in the room during THOSE election years.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    i liked peter kings comments today on si.com about the HOF voting process.

with all the players he has listed the next few years and with the backlog of other strong contenders we can see why some others that dont play the glamour spots have a tough time cracking the semifinals.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    The HOF RC set is now updated and you can add the new HOFer's.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I have a very nicely centered Hanburger 7 coming back to me from PSA. PM me if interested.
  • Options
    pm sent
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options
    So I see we have a new "HOF players set". I guess the HOF Players/Coaches/Admin wasn't good enough to register any card. image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>So I see we have a new "HOF players set". I guess the HOF Players/Coaches/Admin wasn't good enough to register any card. image >>

Yeah, I saw it on the Set Request list a couple weeks back and e-mailed PSA to find out what exactly it was...Which is just as you said, another "any card" set, but of just players...It's a 30 card difference from the 260 card set. Very unnecessary, and likely another play for free grades...I don't know why PSA keeps allowing these sets that are SO similar.

Jason