Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    Hi Gang,
    Ive been chasing a super nice Unitas for 2 years and finally acquired one a month ago.

I'm also looking for a centered high eye appeal 66 Butkus , Baugh 48 leaf , 50 Otto Graham , 63 Lance Alworth ( centering is crucial on the Alworth, Graham and Butkus ) RC PSA 8 or higher or maybe 7 if nice enough.
    I've recently changed my collecting goals and no longer trying to complete the HOF set so about 90% of my collection is available for trade for the right card. So if you have any of these and would be interested in trading let me know.

Thanks
    Dan

yakbig@rocketmail.com
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow Dan. That Unitas is killer!!! Where'd ya get it?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

well we are basically there already. there are separate sets for each teams HOFers. pure duplication of the HOF rookie set. by these sets i dont mean the team HOF sets (like the Packers HOF set, Cowboys Ring of Honor etc). >>

Agreed, so why pile on? >>

Agreed also. I have always kept this to myself but since everyone else is chiming in, here I go. The annual leading rusher set for instance - why not collect the most valuable card from the YEAR they led the league? Emmitt Smith lead the league in rushing four times but only has one card in the set. Why not have a card from each year? You would have one card for every year from 1935 (depending if they made a card of the player) to present.

Same goes for the Defensive player of the year. Charles Woodson won the award as a Packer but the card in the set is him as a Raider - What kind of crap is that?

The reason I created the Green Bay Packer HOF set the way I did (with Jay's help) was show the player in a Packer Uniform. For instance, Brett Favre will have the 1992 Stadium Club as his card, not the 1991 Stadium club. Woodson will have his Topps Chrome or SP (depending on vote) when he gets in. I think it would make the sets more collectible as you show a card from each year. It is just my opinion but I like to add cards each year to the set.

So when Woodson wins the Defensive player of the year award next year and Tomlinson leads the league in rushing no cards get added. Kinda sad.

Troy >>

Troy, we need more out of the box thinkers like you...Rather than mindlessly re-listing the same mini-sets to get free gradings or whatever. Instead of diluting what is already great about the Registry, come up with some new different ideas that use DIFFERENT cards. Sets like that I'd have no problem with. An example, Davemri collects oddball pre-rookie type cards of HOFers. If he were to request a HOF set comprised solely of the oddball pre-rookies, i would have no issue at all with something like that being added to the current group of HOF sets. Would be something entirely new and unique. And IMO could bring a new group of collectors into the field.

Another HOF RB/Rushers set is the last thing we need..Except for those who need the free $5 grading at the expense of worsening the current clutter. >>

i agree. even better is to use the card that has his stats shown as league leader for that year. but that would really confuse people. but the current years card makes sense. could do the same for MVP's and SB MVP's.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    There will be no 10,000 yard Rusher Set.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the many like little RC sets...be it all-time, SB, or whatever. In fact, it has gotten me to purchase a lot of cards I normally would not.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There will be no 10,000 yard Rusher Set. >>

Is that the word from PSA? If so, good for them for sticking to their guns...BUT, why was the vote for Thomas Jones conducted?

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>

Is that the word from PSA? If so, good for them for sticking to their guns...BUT, why was the vote for Thomas Jones conducted?

Jason >>

Yes that is from PSA.

I suggested the vote for Jones since I thought 10,000 yards was automatic for the set.

IMO 10,000 yards is still a career milestone and if the All Time Rusher isn't a place for these players then I believe a separate set is warranted. The All Time Rusher set makes no sense to me at this point b/c recent additions are members or the 10,000 yard club and older selections seem a bit arbitrary. Why are backs like Nagurski, Hinkle, and Nevers omitted when Van Buren, Motley, and Hornung included (not that they should be removed or don't belong)?

title.
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    beautiful Unitas....wow is all I can say.
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

Yes that is from PSA.

I suggested the vote for Jones since I thought 10,000 yards was automatic for the set.

IMO 10,000 yards is still a career milestone and if the All Time Rusher isn't a place for these players then I believe a separate set is warranted. The All Time Rusher set makes no sense to me at this point b/c recent additions are members or the 10,000 yard club and older selections seem a bit arbitrary. Why are backs like Nagurski, Hinkle, and Nevers omitted when Van Buren, Motley, and Hornung included (not that they should be removed or don't belong)? >>

I'm sure this is covered in this thread somewhere. These guys really know their stuff. I believe that Van Buren, and Motley, were included because they were the all time rushing leaders at the time of thier retirement....not real sure about Hornung. I could be wrong though.

Edited to add that we may want to start an official All Time Rushers Thread to vent our frustrations and discuss topics of concearn. Just so we can kinda get out of the HOF collectors' hair a bit.....just a thought.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

Yes that is from PSA.

IMO 10,000 yards is still a career milestone and if the All Time Rusher isn't a place for these players then I believe a separate set is warranted. The All Time Rusher set makes no sense to me at this point b/c recent additions are members or the 10,000 yard club and older selections seem a bit arbitrary. Why are backs like Nagurski, Hinkle, and Nevers omitted when Van Buren, Motley, and Hornung included (not that they should be removed or don't belong)? >>

I'm sure this is covered in this thread somewhere. These guys really know their stuff. I believe that Van Buren, and Motley, were included because they were the all time rushing leaders at the time of thier retirement....not real sure about Hornung. I could be wrong though.

Edited to add that we may want to start an official All Time Rushers Thread to vent our frustrations and discuss topics of concearn. Just so we can kinda get out of the HOF collectors' hair a bit.....just a thought. >>

Good idea!

title.
  • Options
    Wow, $350,000.00 for the Nagurski 9?!?! Congrats on that sale, Jon. Does that mean my 7 is now worth $35k? image
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I hope my 2 is still worth the 2K I paid.....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    When it comes down to me buying this card for my set it will be tough to put that kind of money on a bear. I am pumped that the card got that kind of coin. Congrats!!!
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    $350k OUCH!! Since the Bronko is the only card I need to complete the HOF set(for now) I guess my dream of finding a 5 is now probably done. For that price I might be happy to get a 1.

Congrats Jon

Doc
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$350k OUCH!! Since the Bronko is the only card I need to complete the HOF set(for now) I guess my dream of finding a 5 is now probably done. For that price I might be happy to get a 1.

Congrats Jon

Doc >>

yeah last 1 went for $1555. I have a long way to go, but I am pretty sure that will be the last card I add if I ever get close to completion.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    I grabbed a PSA 4 Nagurski a couple of years back for $3800. EASILY one of my favorite cards in my collection. Very happy to own what is considered the most valuable football card. Even in low grade.

I would take the Nagurski over 100 cards from the 80s-90s, no question. If I ever sell off my collection, it would be one of the cards I would want to hold on to.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I hear you on the PSA 4, but the sharpness of the Nagurski 9...I mean man, that thing looks like it was just pulled from a pack. But for the centering off a touch probably would have been a 10. Just remarkable for something 75 years old given the short print runs. I dont know there's just something about mint cards having withstood the test of time that makes them so much more remarkable than something with creases and frayed corners.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I think for me the last card is going to be the Namath. If I had the money now I would rather have a PSA 1-2 Bronko than a PSA 7 Namath. Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think for me the last card is going to be the Namath. If I had the money now I would rather have a PSA 1-2 Bronko than a PSA 7 Namath. Just my opinion though. >>

I had a raw Namath that graded out a PSA 3, ended up selling it, I think I will settle on a 5 of Namath.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think for me the last card is going to be the Namath. If I had the money now I would rather have a PSA 1-2 Bronko than a PSA 7 Namath. Just my opinion though. >>

I had a raw Namath that graded out a PSA 3, ended up selling it, I think I will settle on a 5 of Namath. >>

I always thought 7 would be my tops on the Namath, but when I had an opportunity at a nice 8 in a trade, I had to go after it...

Would like to eventually have the Nagurski in PSA 7, but price+ scarcity means that isn't likely to happen.

BTW, anyone else going to be in Hawaii for Pro Bowl week? Sucks that Brady tapped out. I will be off all week, will be going to all the pre-game events and happenings, practices, etc. Plan on getting a ton of autos. Should be a blast. The resort where the players stay and the field where they have the QB Challenge and practices and what not is literally 5 minutes from my house! If anyone else is going to be on island let me know and I may be able to help you out with schedule of events and locations, etc.

Jason
  • Options
    Jason,

Awesome that you are so close! The Ihilani is where my wife & I always stay when we go to Hawaii, love the Naupaka Terrace outdoor restaurant. I'll let you know if we plan to make it out in the next couple of years (just had a new baby last month, so won't be any time soon). Have fun next week!

Jasen

BTW, Brady just had surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot, which is why he dropped out. But the studly Matt Cassel is taking his place!
  • Options
    Awesome Unitas Dan. And that is an understatement.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Who is more likely to get an extra boost from the Steelers making the Super Bowl: Bettis or Dawson?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>Who is more likely to get an extra boost from the Steelers making the Super Bowl: Bettis or Dawson?

Nick >>

IMO- Dawson. But great point. Happens often.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Too bad Kramer wasn't the Sr. selection this year. They tend to love having HOF'ers represent the SB teams

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    It is troubling that the flippant Football HOF voters' minds can apparently be molded about players that peaked a decade or more ago based on whom the 2011 Super Bowl qualifying teams are. Yes, we know it happens, as some believe happened with Rickey Jackson as recently as last year.

The fact that the most valuable card in the football card hobby - the PSA 9 1935 Bronko Nagurski card - sold for the highest amount ever is great news for vintage football! This should thrill any football card collector, HOF collectors more, and holders of inferior Nagurski examples even more. It will be interesting to see if the latter category experiences a demand boost, and hence a value boost, due to this.
  • Options
    It has actually happened each of the last 3 years..Tippett in 2008, Rod Woodson 2009, Rickey Jackson in 2010. It certainly doesn't guarantee anything, but I think it does cloud the minds of the more ignorant voters. You have to remember these are media guys/gals. They like a good story. And announcing a borderline HOFer has made the HOF for one of the teams in the Super Bowl makes a great story every time.

Rod Woodson didnt need the boost, just as I dont think Bettis does either. Dawson however, who has been moving closer in recent years could very well finally receive his WELL DESERVED election. I'd love for someone to show me a better Center from the 1990s. Vs. the run or pass, Dirt Dawson was a beast.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Who is more likely to get an extra boost from the Steelers making the Super Bowl: Bettis or Dawson?

Nick >>

I agree with Jason that Dawson may get the boost he needs to get in.
    I am probably in the minority here, but I WILL put my money where my mouth is. I will bet $25.00 to the first 4 people ( if there are any ) that are interested. I say Jerome Bettis does NOT get elected to the Hall this year. Any Steeler Lover want to put 25.00 on it? I AM serious about this and WILL pay if he gets elected. If interested, I want it posted here in public, NO PM's please. Be interested to see if I get any action on this.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

Nick >>

I am probably in the minority here, but I WILL put my money where my mouth is. I will bet $25.00 to the first 4 people ( if there are any ) that are interested. I say Jerome Bettis does NOT get elected to the Hall this year. Any Steeler Lover want to put 25.00 on it? I AM serious about this and WILL pay if he gets elected. If interested, I want it posted here in public, NO PM's please. Be interested to see if I get any action on this.
    Rocke >>

I dont know anyone who think Bettis is definitely getting in..With Marshall Faulk on the ballot, I don't see how Bettis would get a spot this year.

I'd bet $100 he goes in next year though! lol

Jason
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I'd rank Martin ahead of Bettis. I don't see either of them getting in this year, so if both get in next year, does the jam at WR continue for at least 2 more years? Or do we end up with a HOF class of 2012 that's very heavy on the offensive skill positions?

Nick

Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rank Martin ahead of Bettis. I don't see either of them getting in this year, so if both get in next year, does the jam at WR continue for at least 2 more years? Or do we end up with a HOF class of 2012 that's very heavy on the offensive skill positions?

Nick >>

IMO, Sharpe will make it this year...2012, will be the 2 RBs...2013, Carter AND Reed go in.
  • Options
    There are two sets of "congratulations" due here, one overdue:

1) Congratulations to the affable Joe S. (Publius) for having the #1 ranked set for two months now.
    2) Congratulations to Fight4OldDC in turning a significant profit on the one-of-a-kind PSA 9 Bronko Nagurski Rookie.

That's cool of you to inquire about meeting others in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, Jason P. My wife & I will be there around that time, but just missing the Pro Bowl by a couple days.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rank Martin ahead of Bettis. >>

+1
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Dick Lebeau got a good bump as a senior as well. Being the Defensive coach of the top defense of the super bowl champs sure is a healthy nudge, his numbers were good as a DB, but not HOF good ..... IMHO of coure image .

I dont know about the rest of you, but one of the things I look forward to about super bowl weekend is the HOF announcements!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nick >>

Rocke >>

I dont know anyone who think Bettis is definitely getting in..With Marshall Faulk on the ballot, I don't see how Bettis would get a spot this year.

I'd bet $100 he goes in next year though! lol

Jason >>

I'll tell you, there is NO SHORTAGE around here of people that think Bettis is a LOCK to get in. Living in Canton, one hour south of Cleveland, and with the Browns being so bad since 1989 ( except for 1994 ) it seems like there are more PittsPuke fans around here than there is Browns fans. Anytime ANY Steeler is eligible, they start talking about how they belong in the Hall. makes me want to SCREAM !!!!! They even think that Donnie Shell and Rocky Bleir should be in.
    Excuse me, I just had to vent a little !!!!
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

I'll tell you, there is NO SHORTAGE around here of people that think Bettis is a LOCK to get in. Living in Canton, one hour south of Cleveland, and with the Browns being so bad since 1989 ( except for 1994 ) it seems like there are more PittsPuke fans around here than there is Browns fans. Anytime ANY Steeler is eligible, they start talking about how they belong in the Hall. makes me want to SCREAM !!!!! They even think that Donnie Shell and Rocky Bleir should be in.
    Excuse me, I just had to vent a little !!!! >>

LOL..Maybe I need to re-phrase...Anyone who doesn't live with rose colored glasses on for their favorite team...lol

I haven't heard one HOF voter champion Bettis as a guy they plan on pushing their vote for this year...Unlike Deion and Marshall...And more recently Ed Sabol...

2012, only Bill Parcells has a 1st ballot shot, so guy like Martin and Bettis or a Willie Roaf will have smooth sailing.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    +2 for Giuseppi Cesare' collection. I remember back when he was at number 30 and every week I would see set additions and saying who is this guy?

He should change the set name to FAOTM Veni, Vidi, Vici. M=Mediterranean

By far he has the miost passion for FB cards in general than anybody else here......except me lol

A lot of very nice cards from many on these boards. The unitas was simply spectacular.

I love FB autos and have quite a few 8 x 10's and slowly working on signed official game QB FB's...so would love to be going to the pro bowl.

Maybe even more that the SB. Speaking of the SB.....Pitt has shown signs of domination and at times have had a hard time.

GB has been playing great all along so I'm picking them by 7

As usual I can't wait for the HOF announcements. My guess (and not nec picks) :

Sabol-the fact that he made it this far and well deserving
    .......................IMO they need a separate builder/contributer/coach/ref vote

Faulk and Sanders

Hanburger- gotta have a veteran comm selection and he is deserving.

That leaves one more: Dawson Deserving as well as others...but I think (and unfairly as it has been argued) that the Steelers
    in the SB will influence descisions.

And they will have a special committe vote and reconsider and elect Ray Guy.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

+1 >>

Obvious Steelers bias from me, but why do some, if not most, consider Martin better than Bettis? Stats aside, and they weren't very much different, at all, why is Martin considered better? Name me one memorable moment from Martin's career? On the other hand, do it with Bettis. I bet you that there are a whole bunch more Bettis 'moments' than Martin moments. I honestly can't remember too much about Martin's career...very non-descript. If that factors into the equation at all, Bettis is head and shoulders above Martin.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1 >>

Obvious Steelers bias from me, but why do some, if not most, consider Martin better than Bettis? Stats aside, and they weren't very much different, at all, why is Martin considered better? Name me one memorable moment from Martin's career? On the other hand, do it with Bettis. I bet you that there are a whole bunch more Bettis 'moments' than Martin moments. I honestly can't remember too much about Martin's career...very non-descript. If that factors into the equation at all, Bettis is head and shoulders above Martin. >>

To be honest, the "Bettis moment" I remember is him fumbling at the goal line in the Colts playoff game. But maybe that's just me....
  • Options
    Selling a PSA 9 '65 Warfield if anyone's interested.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1 >>

Obvious Steelers bias from me, but why do some, if not most, consider Martin better than Bettis? Stats aside, and they weren't very much different, at all, why is Martin considered better? Name me one memorable moment from Martin's career? On the other hand, do it with Bettis. I bet you that there are a whole bunch more Bettis 'moments' than Martin moments. I honestly can't remember too much about Martin's career...very non-descript. If that factors into the equation at all, Bettis is head and shoulders above Martin. >>

To be honest, the "Bettis moment" I remember is him fumbling at the goal line in the Colts playoff game. But maybe that's just me.... >>

I'll remember Bettis for celebrating every 6 yard gain like he was surprised he ran that far.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1 >>

To be honest, the "Bettis moment" I remember is him fumbling at the goal line in the Colts playoff game. But maybe that's just me.... >>

I'll remember Bettis for celebrating every 6 yard gain like he was surprised he ran that far. >>

AWESOME !!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1 >>

I admit I don't know how to post a "link" to an article. I am NOT very computer savvy. If someone else could post it for me, I would be VERY GRATEFUL. Could someone PLEASE post a link, or the article itself. If you google sports-central Brad Oremland 2006 Five Quick Hits The article is from Feb. 14th. Scroll down to where he has "PROSPECTS" on capital letters. That article DETAILS why Jerome Bettis is NOT a Hall of Famer.
  • Options
    I think everyone above is correct is many respects..Bettis HAS HAD some memorable moments..Mostly because he played for the STEELERS and was consistently playing in big games..How many moments did he have as a Ram? At the same time, he was a very consistent back. And his style of play was different and original. The HOF is not a computer program. It is NOT the STATS HOF. It isn;t always about WHAT the player did as much as HOW he did it...

Prime example Cris Carter...MONSTER STATS!...But he played a somewhat boring style of WR in comparison to say Randy Moss or Michael Irvin...Where his he? Not in the HOF yet...

Bettis will get in, just like Martin...Neither are first ballot type guys, but both are HOF worthy RBs. Not just because of the numbers, but a combination of the numbers and the moments.

Jason
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for Jason's comment.
    Neither can hold a candle to Faulk....he was a deadly machine. Could do it all.

For me the HOF is about looking back and saying Damm that guy was good...he dominated a game and a major reason his team had success.

I know both Bettis and Martin will get in but I can't say that about those two. Don't get me wrong they were very good. If we start to compare them vs Payton, brown or Sayers then
    they really get lost in the sauce.

I would actually like to see Terrell Davis get in before those two. A carear cut short...but he was definately better than them.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1 >>

I admit I don't know how to post a "link" to an article. I am NOT very computer savvy. If someone else could post it for me, I would be VERY GRATEFUL. Could someone PLEASE post a link, or the article itself. If you google sports-central Brad Oremland 2006 Five Quick Hits The article is from Feb. 14th. Scroll down to where he has "PROSPECTS" on capital letters. That article DETAILS why Jerome Bettis is NOT a Hall of Famer. >>

Here you go

Prospects
    Since the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, there's been a lot of talk about Jerome Bettis and Bill Cowher going to Canton. I really like both men, but I'm here to tell you that neither one is a lock.

Cowher is 141-82-1 (.632) in the regular season and 12-9 (.571) in the postseason. Every one of his Steeler teams has finished in the top half of the league in total defense and points allowed. Cowher's greatest strength may be his ability to find talented assistants. His current staff includes Grimm, Dick LeBeau, and Ken Whisenhunt, all of whom are head coaching prospects.

That's a very impressive résumé, and Cowher — now 14th in career coaching victories — might get my vote if he retired today. I'd like to see him add a few more successful seasons, though, before the question marks disappear.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned the Super Bowl on Cowher's résumé. That's intentional. Is he a better coach today than he was two weeks ago? I thought before the big game that Cowher was a better coach than Mike Holmgren, and I still do.

The Bus is a trickier subject. Actually, there's nothing tricky, it's just that I don't want to be mean. Bettis does not deserve to make the Hall. In 13 seasons, Bettis never led the league in rushing yards, average, or touchdowns, and he was never regarded as the best running back in the game. To me, that seems like an obvious HOF criterion. If he was never — even at his best — considered the top player at his position, he was merely very good.

Despite consistent performance, Bettis only had three really good seasons. He was a top-10 rusher five times, but in two of those seasons — 1994 and 2000 — he clearly was not one of the top-10 RBs in the league. In '94, he averaged 3.2 yards per carry and rushed for only three touchdowns. In '00, he averaged 3.8 and had under 100 receiving yards. And in both seasons, he barely cracked the top 10 to begin with.

If Bettis is inducted, he will be only the second running back with a career average worse than four yards per carry. The first, John Riggins, retired as the third-leading rusher of all-time, was the second player ever to rush for 100 touchdowns, held the NFL's single-season TD record, and was arguably the greatest postseason rusher of all-time. Riggins once had six straight 100-yard games in the postseason, including his 166-yard MVP performance in Super Bowl XVII. Bettis had only three 100-yard games in the postseason during his career, with a high of 105.

If Bettis is inducted, he will have the fewest rushing TDs of any RB who played during or after 1980, and the lowest rushing TDs per game of any HOF running back who played after the AFL merger. He will have the second-fewest receptions, receiving yards, and receiving TDs of any RB who played 16-game seasons for his whole career, ahead of only Earl Campbell, who retired after eight seasons.

Bettis is the Rafael Palmeiro of running backs, except that he's probably not a steroid user. The big career numbers are from being good and playing a lot, not from being great. He had a mediocre rushing average, he wasn't a great short-yardage back until past his prime, he couldn't catch, and he was never a big-game player.

The Bus will probably get in — it doesn't hurt that he's so well-liked — but he shouldn't and he isn't a lock.

Brad Oremland article
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Thank You.
  • Options

<< <i>+1 for Jason's comment.

For me the HOF is about looking back and saying Damm that guy was good...he dominated a game and a major reason his team had success.

I know both Bettis and Martin will get in but I can't say that about those two. Don't get me wrong they were very good. If we start to compare them vs Payton, brown or Sayers then

I would actually like to see Terrell Davis get in before those two. A carear cut short...but he was definately better than them. >>

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>+1 for Jason's comment.

I would actually like to see Terrell Davis get in before those two. A carear cut short...but he was definately better than them. >>

image >>

well then sterling sharpe should be in ahead of cris carter too. he along with rice were the two dominant WR's from 90-94.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>
    well then sterling sharpe should be in ahead of cris carter too. he along with rice were the two dominant WR's from 90-94. >>

I'd like to see Sharpe get a little love too. Not saying he's necessarily a HOFer, but he's definitely in the category of players who was dominant for a short period of time with a career cut short by injury. If he had the rings TD does, I'm sure he'd get the same or more consideration.