Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the compliments guys. This one is climbing the charts as my favorite. I love the classic Cobb glare and the detail of the baggy uniform gives it a heavy feel. The silhouetted player sliding, ala Cobb stealing a base with spikes flying. just adds to the coolness for me. image
  • SWEET!!

<< <i>image >>

• let's throw some "new stuff" on here for a change...

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    pop 1, but not for long - 'bout to be a pop 0 after I liberate it image

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭
    I picked this up a few weeks ago. Although I don't know a tremendous amount about the issue, I thought this was a great photo of Sawchuk.

What would be cooler is if the puck was snow coned in the glove (it is just to the right of the skate blade of his outstretched pad).

One question I had was whether to get the card reholdered due to the tilt from the encapsulating process? When PSA goes to White Plains, I know they don't grade the cards there, but they do authenticate autographs, but do they encaspulate autographs or just give the paper opinion? If they encapsulate, do they reholder at the show?

I don't collect Hockey but that has got to be one of the coolest action shots I have ever seen. Very nice!
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Some more 61's just arrived:

"Molon Labe"

<< <i>Some more 61's just arrived:
    >>

From where? Heaven? (assuming they are as nice as they look, especially the McCovey)
  • got this in today:

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This - I hope - will strike a sentimental chord in our baby-boomers here.

Who didn't play with this toy when they were a kid?

In my quest for some of the toys of my childhood - this one brings back all kinds of memories.

Mr. Potato Head - model #2050 - circa 1953.

Me and my sister actually had this one - I liked the fact that Mr Potato was cruising around.

Mr. Potato Head moved into the fast lane with set #2050 with his new car and boat! The car has two small tabs inside that you can stand him on - no feet of course!

I paid 14.99 for this gem from my past.

Please chime in if you had a Mr. Potato head. For those a bit younger than a boomer - might remember that Mr. Potato actually came with a head in subsequent models - thus a real potato wasn't needed. I kinda liked the real spud-head myself.

Another toy checked off my list. Between toys and movies - I'm doin' some serious flashbacks!!
    Mike
    I added a nicely centered 63F to my set - it's an upgrade on centering so no increase in % unfortunately.

Mike
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This - I hope - will strike a sentimental chord in our baby-boomers here.

Who didn't play with this toy when they were a kid?

In my quest for some of the toys of my childhood - this one brings back all kinds of memories.

Mr. Potato Head - model #2050 - circa 1953.

Me and my sister actually had this one - I liked the fact that Mr Potato was cruising around.

Mr. Potato Head moved into the fast lane with set #2050 with his new car and boat! The car has two small tabs inside that you can stand him on - no feet of course!

Yep..we had a Mr. Potato Head similar to this one.....I recall the felt moustache and we had the Cucumber too.....I also remember the accessories (eyes, ears, etc.) were like mini weapons in that they were SO sharp!

IMF

I paid 14.99 for this gem from my past.

Please chime in if you had a Mr. Potato head. For those a bit younger than a boomer - might remember that Mr. Potato actually came with a head in subsequent models - thus a real potato wasn't needed. I kinda liked the real spud-head myself.

Another toy checked off my list. Between toys and movies - I'm doin' some serious flashbacks!! >>

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    Some more 61's for the set in progress:
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage

"Molon Labe"

Some really sweet 61s!

Very nice pickups.
    Mike
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Here are a few I recently got back from PSA. Nothing overly exciting, but I was happy.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

• << <i>One question I had was whether to get the card reholdered due to the tilt from the encapsulating process? When PSA goes to White Plains, I know they don't grade the cards there, but they do authenticate autographs, but do they encaspulate autographs or just give the paper opinion? If they encapsulate, do they reholder at the show? >>

No slabbing is done on-site. They can accept your submissions, which saves you the cost of shipping to California, but you'll still have to pay the return shipping (get a Fedex account - so much cheaper that way).

Considering the show admission is $7, you may just be better off paying to mail it to California.

They may reholder it for free since it's their fault that the photo is crooked inside the slab. Can't hurt to ask. Does it not move at all when you shake it?
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Thank you for the info, crazy (ok...that sounds odd).

The card is secure in the holder with no movement.
  • I really wanted to share something from my collection here, so here's a set that I pieced together one card at a time during the summer of 2007. I was lucky/persistent enough to find all four of Joel Zumaya's 2007 Topps Printing Plates on ebay and beckett.com. I think the most expensive one cost me $45.00 with shipping. It was worth it to me to have a one-of-a-kind collectible. Plus, now I can print my own 2007 Topps Joel Zumaya cards (if I buy thousands of dollars worth of printing equipment)!

I have these two on the way. Why do I have that Tom Petty song stuck in my head???.....The Waiting!!! image

imageimage
    Just super stuff!

Really like the Jackie card!
    Mike

• << <i>image

Please chime in if you had a Mr. Potato head. For those a bit younger than a boomer - might remember that Mr. Potato actually came with a head in subsequent models - thus a real potato wasn't needed. I kinda liked the real spud-head myself. >>

REAL potatoes had to be used for the original toy?? That's news to me. I thought they always came with the plastic head ready to "plug and play"! image

<< <i>Another toy checked off my list. Between toys and movies - I'm doin' some serious flashbacks!! >>

No doubt! There's nothing like the nostalgia drug...er...bug to get you going!
    Fer sure Mike.

The boomers are nuts for their childhoods as will any of the groups - the older ya get - the younger ya get in the head!

I'm looking for all things 50s to take me back.

I just found another obscure item to post on - I picked up an older version and then it's companion that came out in plastic.
    Mike
  • imageimage
    imageimage
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The boomers are nuts for their childhoods as will any of the groups - the older ya get - the younger ya get in the head! >>

Very true Mike. My father was born in 1952 and is easy to holiday shop for...I just buy things from his childhood. Vintage Monopoly set, Clove Chewing Gum, Black Forest Cuckoo Clock...all things I've purchased him based upon childhood stories he's told.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

• << <i>Very true Mike. My father was born in 1952 and is easy to holiday shop for...I just buy things from his childhood. Vintage Monopoly set, Clove Chewing Gum, Black Forest Cuckoo Clock...all things I've purchased him based upon childhood stories he's told. >>

Is it possible for kids to adopt parents?? image

Naw, I can't complain about my kids. They're thoughtful and loving, too.
  • And another addition to my Senators/Twins type collection -- a 1968 Atlantic Oil Play Ball card of Dean Chance. Usually these come with the side torn where the playing card had to be ripped open. This one's in great shape!

• Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I just received a really cool set of 1920's boxing strip cards. This is the first one I've seen that's completely intact, a little beaten up, but complete. And you can't really tell in the photo, but the Jack Dempsey card is in fantastic shape! Thanks for letting me share.

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
    I like the Atlantic cards Mike - very nice!

Cool strip cards Jeff - first I've seen in boxing intact.
    Mike
    I found this by accident and had no recollection of the toy till I saw it and definitely remembered having it.

I was in the hospital for a few days in 1955 and my mom bought it for me to play with - very primitive - much like Tinker Toys - but in context with the era - it was OK.

Krazy Ikes

It was produced by the Knapp Electric Company - later copies and the ones I'm showing were produced by the Whitman Publishing Company.

The earliest versions of the game were produced in the 30s:

The example above would be nice to find - but it's hard to believe many survived since the 1930s.

The early versions of the toy were made of wood - the first I'm presenting from the early 50s? - no date on box - is made of wood.

The later one in the cylindrical containers is from around 1954 to 57 - parts are plastic.

As I've said before - when looking at "boomer" toys - one is really struck by the simplicity of the design. But, it did - perhaps - require a bit more imagination on the part of the player and that can't be all that bad?

The graphic on the cylindrical container definitely shows the simplistic quality of the toy.

Any boomers remember this one?

I know it didn't stick in my mind till I saw it - things like Lionel Trains, erector sets and model airplanes more readily come to mind.

Mike

As a small kid in the 50s - Buster Crabbe was a favorite of mine - he starred as both Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. Notice in this poster - he's billed as "Larry" - very few probably knew this.

And like Johnny Weissmuller - Buster was an olympic swimmer and won the Gold Medal in the 1932 Olympics in the 400m freestyle.

If one looks back now? Both series were rather poorly done - very bad special effects. But to a 6 yr old - it was pure fantasy!

Now to the whole Ray gun thing in the 50s.

With the success of TV shows like Captain Video, Commando Cody, Tom Corbett Space Cadet, Space Patrol - to name a few - the ray gun became as much a part of a kid's armamentarium as the Hopalong Cassidy double holster.

We were very obsessed with space in the 50s - the proliferation of cheap cheesy Sci-Fi movies about space kept the Saturday Matinee goer busy all winter!

I had all kinds of ray guns - some had a flashlight on the front, some shot out sparks and some did very little beyond ones imagination.

Here's one that I had when I was around 8 - I picked it up on ebay:

The Buck Rogers Super Sonic Ray Gun was produced by Norton-Honer and was actually a flashlight. It's design and popularity was inspired by an earlier design by the company - The "Sonic Ray Gun."

I can't wait to get this one - it was a favorite of mine and can't believe I found it on ebay!

Come on boomers - ya gotta have had at least one ray gun? I had a bad habit of taking them apart tho. image
    Mike
    No ray guns Mike, but my brothers and I loved watching the sci fi flicks. Them, It the Terror from Beyond Space, stuff like that. In black and white but who cared! For reading sci fi it was the Tom Swift books. What a great time to be a kid.

"Molon Labe"

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Picked this up in a lot for $20. Paid Friday morning to seller in CA and they were in my box in MA today image

Needed the dual jersey and the Tiant auto (HOF someday...)

Very nice for 20 bucks Mike!

I like the Tiant - and the player.

I received the ray gun today - and it has to go back - it's missing the bulb/assembly so it's not capable of working - very disappointing - the seller is very apologetic and has no problem with the return.
    Mike
  • Picked up some modern football ... just a guy considered the best in the world right now.

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought this off the Bay last week for $26 for my '52 set. I got it purely for the centering and the corners aren't bad either.

Super 5 Doug!

A couple of toys I had as a kid...

I'm pretty sure most kids had a gyroscope in the 50s - 60s and the derringer toy gun was very popular - the bullets were 2 piece and ya loaded a cap into it and fire!

The cap gun was produced by the Nichols Toy Gun Company around 1957 - I definitely remember having the gun and the gyroscope.
    Mike
    Love the gyroscope they are really cool to play with. My son would love that gun.........my wife would not. image
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of cards I won for my 1970 set that I'm trying to finish off.

imageimage
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭✭
    I showed this on my rip thread but figured I would add it here as well. Picked it up on eBay via best offer.
    Very happy with the card considering cracking and trying for a 10.

A little obsessed with my '52 set lately. Got this card for a BIN price of $17 and thought it was a good deal. A little tilt but centering is good and should grade out as a 5 or 5.5 if lucky. Replaces a OC Frank that would be no better than 3 so I'm happy. Have a good weekend everyone. Doug

In the world of 52Ts, that's pretty darn good centering and a nice card.

Mike

I don't buy gloves - but I picked this one up since it's definitely from the early 20s based on the endorsed model.

It's Ray French - who played in the early 20s - only played 3 yrs - with the Yanks, the Brooklyn Robins, and the White Sox.

He played SS - hit zero HRs and batted .219. He later did a little managing in the minors.
    Mike
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    I guess that is why he had a glove and not a bat modeled after him. image

Mike, did the gloves back then have the laces between the fingers as well as between the finger and thumb? Can't tell from the picture if it had them at one time, but wore away over the years.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>I guess that is why he had a glove and not a bat modeled after him. image

Mike, did the gloves back then have the laces between the fingers as well as between the finger and thumb? Can't tell from the picture if it had them at one time, but wore away over the years. >>

Hi Mike

I'm not a glove collector - so this is just a guess - but I believe that the "split-finger" glove - i.e. - the fingers weren't connected like modern gloves - existed up to the late 40s when they started 'connecting' the fingers.

I always find it amazing that they could catch with those gloves!

That's the main reason I picked up the glove - it's definitely dated to around the 1920s due to the short career span of Ray French.
    Mike
    Nice pickup Mike! I'd be out front right now with that glove playing a little catch to see just how hard it was back then. I'd guess they got used to catching the ball in the palm rather than the pocket/web.

"Molon Labe"

<< <i>Nice pickup Mike! I'd be out front right now with that glove playing a little catch to see just how hard it was back then. I'd guess they got used to catching the ball in the palm rather than the pocket/web. >>

Thanx Mark

Unfortunately something not described - the leather is very stiff from age - I'm in the process of slowly softening it up - I cleaned it with saddle soap and will take it from there.
    Mike