Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much progress have you made on your collection this year?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
For me:

Added one of two needed dates (out of a total of 67 in the series.)

Upgraded ten items.

The end is in sight as I only want to upgrade four more, none of which should be particularly expensive.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    zippo.

I'm sliding backwards in the registry sets, not upgrading enough, plus just flat getting passed up. That's the silver stuff.

I haven't even begun listing the other metal.

aluminum... image
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I upgraded about 3 maybe 4 dimes and did not fill any holes.

It has been a good while since I have filled any holes. image
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The major buy was finding a nice 1875 gold dollar. THAT alone....made the year worthwhile.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough as I've asked a few dealers to send me lists and images and they agree but then don't follow through image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I made a list of numismatic goals for myself at the start of the year; mostly just for additions to a few core collections.
    Most of those goals have since been completed.

I made a substancial cherrypick which pushed my expectations way beyond what I was expecting this year.
    That addition alone is enough to satisfy about 5 years of my collection.

While there's still plenty of time this year, my goals next year will be to focus more on upgrading.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    I purchased between raw and slabbed coins so far this year over 1000+ coins. Im keeping a total of 2 coins out of that and im on the fence about one coin (selling it or keeping it) that imo is under graded. So 2 holes filled and many more to go lol.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image You returned 998 out of 1000 coins image

and dealers still sell to you????image

How long have you been married? Or do you send them back too?image
  • Options

<< <i>image You returned 998 out of 1000 coins image

and dealers still sell to you????image >>

Not one single coin i returned! Most of the coins where raw via mint sets ect. I slabbed the nice ones and then sold them and the ones that remained raw sold those as well. The slabbed ones that i didnt keep i sold those on my own as well.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    slowest for coins,
    fastest for photography
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    I bought five PCGS coins at Long Beach in June, and a very nice Seated Dollar with Motto
    at the Fremont show last weekend, which allowed me to finish my PCGS type set. From
    now on I'll be working on upgrades to that set.

I submitted 28 world coins to PCGS at the Long Beach show, of which 4 came back
    Genuine, but the others allowed me to add 16 to my slabbed Ireland set and 8 others
    to my slabbed set of Ireland, Netherland, Gelderland, and Genoa birth years.

So all in all, it has been a better year than usual.

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I filled... three? I think?.. holes in my Lincoln clip set, and a bunch of tough holes in my clipped type set when a fellow collector cashed in his chips. I've also managed to build up a small pile of cherrypicks waiting to be sold, the better to fund the next round of additions.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Very, very little. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long have you been married? Or do you send them back too?image >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought many fantastic errors coins this year as error coins prices softened up. Even tho I also sell a lot of error coins, my personal collection has grown this year as it does every year. I think I see a plateau in sight, but it could be a false one image
  • Options

<< <i>

How long have you been married? Or do you send them back too?image >>

image >>

Im to young and handsome to get marriedimage I hope the girl friend doesnt read this image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Very, very little. image >>

Don't get any ideas. image

I'm looking for some examples to come back my way. image

Added 10+ to my Type and Lincoln Sets. On the Lincolns, I actually bought back several that I had sold here on the forum. Which is much appreciated!!
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Out of the last 4 years I have made very little to no progress. Wait...I guess I did. I sold several dogs out of my commem set and put the money towards 2 much finer pieces. I guess that is progress through regress.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Found a 1964 roosie at FUN...and a 57 quarter for my toned proof washington set. image

But it is getting VERY hard to improve my sets......image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought one coin. Didn't sell anything. I think I'm done for the year.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've expanded. My minimal collection has branched. Got my 1st gold bullion pieces. First good chunk of Frankies for a basic set. First Libertads with a proof set. Ridiculous batch of Ikes for spending and poker chips, and a graded proof. Lots of oddball silver bullions. Eyeballed some WLHs as I've not gone there yet.

Wouldn't say at all that I've had a focus over the past 38 years, so I've picked up stuff this year that I've been able to in order to variety-whim my action. Basically I've been studying and haven't done much over a good 7 year stretch and the past year or so I've been able to cater to some things that I've just wanted. Cheap stuff basically, but I invest to leave funky treasure chests to whoever winds up being related to me (no kids so far) when I kick it.

• Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    None...this Fall I'm selling everything and starting fresh.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭
    I've bought about 5 pieces in my primary focus, and a couple of less expensive items for a type set. I sold a $50 proof AGE.

I bought a car a few months ago so I've bought less in 2010 (and will buy less in 2011 and 2012) than in 2009.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    added some coins to my capped bust half dime collection. These coins represent die marriages or remarriages that I never had before:

1832 LM-9.2 in AU58 (the finest of three or four known)
    1835 LM-12 in VF35 (one of three known...this is the only one in a "problem free" holder)

upgraded a few die marriages and remarriages too. With the exception of the 1834 coin, each upgrade represents "finest known" for the marriage/remarriage:

1832 LM-14 from AU50 to MS64
    1831 LM-1.1 from XF45 to MS65
    1834 LM-4 from AU58 to MS63
    1829 LM-14 from MS61 to MS62

also did some numerical downgrades or "sideways grades" to upgrade eye appeal, which matters a lot to me:

1829 LM-1 from MS63 to AU58
    1831 LM-3 from AU58 to a nicer AU58
    1832 LM-4 from MS62 to AU55
    1830 LM-11 from XF40 to XF40
    1837 LM-2 from XF45 to XF45

Those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head. My record-keeping sucks, so consulting records wouldn't do me much good.

I've made excellent progress on my Class Head Large Cent set. Nineteen varieties and I am missing just one (normal date 1811)
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    I have a MS RB 2 cent set I added two dates this year and I only have three left to go I am hell bent on finishing the set by years end.
    I started this set close to four years ago because I thought it would be a easy set to put together. Well it sounded easyimage
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I started my set in May and have added 10 to the set so far....hope to add 5 more by the end of the year but funds are kinda tight...we will see.

Greg
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a net seller but have also acquired some nice dirty gold pieces.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>None...this Fall I'm selling everything and starting fresh. >>

copper or silver for this fresh start? image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought one coin. Didn't sell anything. I think I'm done for the year.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>None...this Fall I'm selling everything and starting fresh. >>

Please let me know when and where! image
  • Options
    A couple years ago I went nuts completing almost everything that I had started 50 years ago. Lately all I am spending money on are the Gold Spouse coins. It's sad but I still need two coins to fill my 7070, one is the Trade Dollar, and the other is one of the Seated Liberty Dollars. Most of the 7070 is in Au to Unc. I have become so disgusted and concerned with the counterfeiting, and fake slabs that I have stopped looking. I can't afford top dollar stuff and the "deals" are too big a worry to me. I'm actually enjoying some of the more recent "moderns" So if progress means "growing" I'm still progressing.

Oh yeah, no progress on obtaining that 1916 Standing Liberty. I conveniently forget that one.
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    My main set (1857 date set): one whole coin. Someday I'll find the S$1 in a condition I can afford.

So I'm doing a type set on the side, found three coins for that (picked up one of Marmac's little sisters which was a beautiful coin).

-Fred

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first opened this thread, I thought I'd reply and say that I've made little progress. However, after some reflection, I realize I feel just the opposite. Buying a coin every once in awhile starves the addiction, ya know, but progress is made nonetheless.

I bought a really nice large cent at the January FUN that I'm most pleased to own, followed by my inaugural purchase from Mark Feld's inventory of a colorful Washie, and then a lovely red and orange Antietam at the Nashville show. So, I got three great coins (IMO) this year.

I'm leaning now toward staying on a smaller budget, part out of necessity and part due to economic fear.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a ton of pcgs graded stuff as well as some very high end raw inventory... Especially on US type coinage. I've also sold a lot of lower end slabbed & raw collections.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Not nearly as much as I would have like to - but other parts of life intervened.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find several every month.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Franklins; several raw 1958 P & D coins.

For the 1858 set: an NGC MS64 IHC, which crossed (and upgraded image ) to a PCGS MS65.

For the 1893 proof set: a PCGS PR64CAMEO Barber half dollar.

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I decided to add business strike Liberty V-nickels to my collection graded between au58 and 64 this year. I started with none and now i just need the 1884, 1895, 1898 and 12 s to finish. Since i was close i added business shield nickels to the group 2 months ago. Picked up 5 of those so far. Having holes in a set drives me nuts. I have sold and upgraded about 10 v-nickels thus far this year. Only the lack of funds can slow me down.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Not doing too badly. Not anywhere near as much as I'd like (Honestly, that would be thousands upon thousands of coins!) but considering I've had less than $100 to spend all year, I think I am doing fairly respectable at adding 119 coins so far. About 90 of which came from 10 for a dollar bins at my local dealers image

I also purchased my first ever intended upgrade. Before that they were random.

This total also includes the coins I've found in circulation and roll searching this year, which is about 10.

Currency side is doing poorly, only four new additions all year.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Excellent year for my #1 registry setimage

1881cc 66PL pop. 3 coin

1885cc 65DPL pop. 7 coin

Several very nice lower grade GSA's and a hoard of unopen GSA's.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upgraded only 1 walker in my reg set (thanks Wei!), found none of the two I'm still missing, upgraded 4 coins in my 7070 set, but added a number of nice large cents by getting first shot at a complete set built back in the 50's and early 60's (Chris McAwley bought most of the leftovers!). Also acquired roughly 15 seated halves, as I'm contemplating doing a circ Dansco album collection of these.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rare1rare1 Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I picked up the finest known 1859 indian cent (S-1) rpd in boston for my set.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a big year. I finished my half cent to dollar type set, and I need only one coin to complete my early commemorative gold set. I've also added a several presidential campaign medalets although nothing truly earth shaking.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty good year so far ... actually have purchased a lot of coins now that I think more about it ... but I took a long break last year

Haven't sold much, but I need to work on letting a few more pieces go this fall

some of the more notable acquisitions include;

two tough Barber Quarters (05-S {N58} and 97-S {N55}) for the better-date year set (the 05-S gave me all three 05's, so I guess that wasn't really a hole)

six early Merc's (including 17-S {N63}, 18-D {P61}, 19-D {P62], 20-D {P62} and 24-S {P63}) for the Unc Merc Set

four Choice AU Seated Halves (including a 49 {PP55}) and a Seated No Motto Dollar (1841 {P50})

three Shield Nickels (67 w/Rays {P58} and 69 {P58} as upgrades, and a 74 {P55})

two Liberty Nickels (91 {P63} upgrade and an 04 {P62})

I also had a short run in the spring where I was lucky enough to pick up about 30 near-Gem to Gem+ 30's and 40's Jefferson Nickels (all raw)

yeah, I guess it has been a pretty big buying year image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much progress have you made on your collection this year?

reduced by about 60%.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing since the FUN show.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Good!

Added the last two dates to finish the seated dollar set and upgraded 4 more to mid-MS. Now almost exactly half the set is mint state, well above any expectation I ever had.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Added 3 items but high dollar items
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I upgraded a few Lib $2.50's with CAC stickered coins. In addition I added two tougher coins to that set:

1842 $2.50 PCGS F12 (raw off ebay) PCGS pop 28 in all grades

1860 $2.50 PCGS AU55 Old Reverse (Heritage ANA sale) PCGS pop 20 in all grades

The collection is getting more focused as I decided to sell off my remaining Large Cents.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I retired about ten sets this year. Still in the process of selling many of them.
    But I did not have this last year Morgans and I was just recently able to fill in the last two holes in my Peace dollar set.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far I am not a happy camper in reguards to the AU/UNC raw Mercury Dime set that is being put together. The one objective, a nice 1927S, has not been found and I am beginning to think the coin does not exist in nice raw AU55 or AU58. Three so called AU coins by sellers have been purchased this year and all three went back in the flash of a eye. Basically the whole collection has stayed about the same as it was last year. The only difference is that more coins are raw and fewer slabbed.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file