Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much progress have you made on your collection this year?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much progress have you made on your collection this year?

Extraordinarily little, because the opportunities simply haven't been there.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Been playing the stock market mostly.

One big coin did come up for sale last month and I was not ready for it. Hope I get another chance down the road?

The coins I am getting into I like to see in hand so shows are nice to go to.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a dent

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    OK, you've made me go back to look at where I've been this year.

So far my Walker upgrades have been: '20-D to XF45, '28-S to AU58, '34 to MS66, '38 to MS65, '43-S to MS65, and the '46ddr to MS62.

I did finally choose a '30-S slq for my other bookend piece. I don't know why this moderately decent piece was so hard to find. I'd been looking for months... :

As far as more upgrades to my Walkers go, sometimes I work on the latter side of the 21's, sometimes I work on the early side. I need to work on the early stuff more and I'm always trying to save a bit for my next Au purchase to boot.

Hey, time and patience, it'll all work out.
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally took the plunge and bought a 1918/7-D Buffalo that fits into my full horn/better set. Not quite a full horn, but pretty close. Upgraded a few others Buffs, but that's a process that will probably never end.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going the other way,consolidating,clearing the decks and trimming the phat...all I need now is a goal image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a long time it's been slow finding the ones I need, but recently it has been picking up, and the prices have been slowly coming down. It's time to buy....But I have only added a couple of coins this year.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I picked up the finest known 1859 indian cent (S-1) rpd in boston for my set. >>

Congrats! Would love to see a pic of it...
    I had a plan to acquire 4 or 5 cool coins this year of the type that i dig and i have more then met that goal... image

ABimage
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408

<< <i>

<< <i>None...this Fall I'm selling everything and starting fresh. >>

copper or silver for this fresh start? image >>

Copper is the poetry of American numismatics, so yes, copper.

The new set I'm working on consists of 3 coins with a face value of two and a half cents.
  • Options
    My main set is a 12 coin gold type set. At the start of the year, I needed only the $3 and the type II $1. (Note that both my Liberty and Indian $10s are NGC-graded, and thus not seein in my registry set.) This year I got both in one fell swoop, but shortly after lost my one $2.50 Liberty when it flunked a regrade and was bought back by PCGS. I've been distracted easily; I could have re-finished the set and started embellishing it with additional types and sub-types, but when the spread between raw gold bullion and MS Saints and Liberty $20s became so thin, I've instead spent the money on a second Saint Gaudens $20.

I will add two more $2.50 Indians to that set; both right now are raw and will probably be sent in when I renew my Collector's Club membership at the end of the year.

I've gained very little on my Morgan sets. I intended to work on the Carson City basic dates, but I've instead been drawn to other coins for the time being.

I started a Peace dollar side project, with the idea of moderately priced coins with good eye appeal. I'll splurge on the 1921, since it's both the first year and minted in higher relief--I'll be picky about finding one with a good, solid strike, with well-defined high points around the hair. I started the year with two graded coins and two more raw. I'm up to four PCGS-graded and seven more just now sent in. By year's end, I should be more than half-way there. Other than the 1921 and the 1928, most coins should run under $200.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I have totally lost focus. Many new coins, but nothing to forward my key series.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    Proof red IHC does not make for progress in a year. I take a two to three year view. I have to, wife only let's me get one in good year. Still waiting for the flood gates image. Thought the recession would drive some out. No... Just the junk.

Always buy the best you can afford plain and simple , but not any more.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭
    I have purchased just three coins. Two to finish my Capped Bust dime set, and one 1/2 dime to start a new set. It's been slow going this year.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm kind of a low-end collector, so no registry sets here. But I recently purchased an 1877 Indian Head cent in F-15, which completed my IHC collection. It only took 43 years.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completed a silver dollar type set (Flowing Hair through Peace, minus the Gobrecht). Now I can sleep.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file