Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Come on Frank, the third time's a charm. You will always be the master of the 72's. Good luck with your 72OPC, and 71 Topps sets. Mark
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Mark,

I don't expect to do another 72. I'll keep working on my 71 until I complete it with a GPA of 8.00 or better and I'm sure that I will hang onto and continue to upgrade my 72 OPC set. Beyond that - I'm not sure... I'm a little burned out at the moment and I figure I'll give it some time before deciding.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Hows it goin, I'm new to the 72 world. I decided it was time to put together a nice team set and 72 Topps REALLY caught my eye. It was between 72 and 75 but I think I made the right choice. They look great, and from the size of this thread seem very hyped up.

I'm working on putting together a Red Sox team set in PSA 9! I honestly don't know if this is possible so I'd definitely be interested in feedback. So far I have attaigned the following in PSA 9:

Rico Petrocelli #30
    Bobby Bolin #266
    Sonny Siebert #290
    Luis Aparicio IA #314
    Mike Nagy #488
    Duane Josephson #543

They aren't the big ticket cards like the Fisk RC or the Yaz but it's a start.

I see the major culprits for the completion of this being the:
    Ray Culp #2 (pop 9)
    Rogileo Moret #113 (pop 12)
    Marty Pattin #144 (pop 11)
    Eddie Kasko #218 (pop 13)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks -K
  • Options
    Don't follow 72's that much. There is currently a PSA 10 Dock Ellis Pop 1 going for 500+ on ebay right now.
    Any ideas what it will finish at ?
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I have a freshly graded 1972 Rollie Fingers PSA 9 NQ ,for sale or trade if anyone is interested
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    I am wondering if there is anybody who has a 1972 Topps PSA 9 or better no qualifiers of any of the following cards:
    #22,#50,#292,#443,#465,#525,#532,#582,#655,#687,#693,#708, or #766.
    I would be interested in purchasing or trading for any one of these cards.
  • Options
    cool thread...is this the same arnyvee on disney board?

he seems like a swell fella
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Separated at birth:
  • Options
    HeHe! You have been putting sets together entirely too long!image
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Memeory Lane appears to be getting ready to auction off a major '72 graded set. ( now #1 current finest)

I wonder who's set it is???
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Classic! lol
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options

• Options
    Hmmm, no comments on that monster set from Memory Lane? anyone willing to forward a guess as to what that would go for? Or is everyone trying to accumulate a warchest to bid? Pretty exciting stuff IMO!
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Definitely not as much as last year at this time. But, guess all we can do is watch and see...

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    To anyone that can help.. Can you tell me what the visible difference is betwen card #271 variations of large and small print. I see ones that look different even though the same "small print" label exists on them. Thanks all.
    Collecting '52-'54 in PSA 7, '55 to '67 in PSA 8, '68 to '79 in PSA 9. See me on the set registry as GI's XXXX Set. Thx.
  • Options

<< <i>To anyone that can help.. Can you tell me what the visible difference is betwen card #271 variations of large and small print. I see ones that look different even though the same "small print" label exists on them. Thanks all. >>

Checklist on the left is Small Print. Checklist on the right is mislabeled and is actually the Large Print variation. PSA commonly mislabels these.

The yellow border around the card numbers and players names is how you differenciate between the two. Needless to say the difference is subtle.

• Options
    thanks a bunch. -Jerry
    Collecting '52-'54 in PSA 7, '55 to '67 in PSA 8, '68 to '79 in PSA 9. See me on the set registry as GI's XXXX Set. Thx.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, 4 months without any posts. Is this set officially ice cold?
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Considering that I picked up a few PSA 8s for $2 plus shipping from 4SC yesterday and lots of others were sold to other people at from $2 to $4, yes, I think it has gone cold.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Well, I've never posted here before, but I'm still building this set. I started it as an ungraded, NMMT set about four years ago. Then I eventually picked up a few PSA 8's because I got tired of searching for centered versions of certain cards. Then I picked up a few 9's, and now I've switched over entirely to 9's. Luckily I switched over to 9's fater they started going down in price, because otherwise I would be out a lot of money. I remember when PSA 8's of Jim Brewer were getting $50+. I sold one a few months ago and got $2.00 plus shipping.

The big sellers have really flooded the market over the past several months. Even previously low pop cards have become much easier to find; 5 new PSA 9 Jerry Koosman IA's have appeared since the beginning of the year, for example. I'm hoping that eventually once the demand peters out (which it already has), the large sellers move their attention elsewhere and there is a lull in the number of 1972 listings. But I guess it is nice that I can now afford to at least try to build a PSA 9 set, whereas before, when 9's of guys like Dave Marshall were going for $900, there was no chance I could afford to build one (I'm 29).

Anyway, my progress will be slow, but I'm committed to getting there.

• Options

<< <i>Wow, 4 months without any posts. Is this set officially ice cold? >>

I now pronounce this thread dead and the set frozen cold due to the economy! image

bens4778; Welcome to the boards and enjoy the 1972 set one of my favorite sets. Some of the low pop PSA 9's will still bring some moon money.

my predication: this set will rebound and be very strong again, just give it some time (1 or 2 yrs).

• Options
    Well....I am about 80% done with selling off my set (8.65 GPA) which I started doing about a year ago.......including fees I had $22650 into the set. (including $2680 postage)

so far I have taken in about $18,200......but I have not factored in in ebay and paypal fees yet.

A year ago someone offered me $21500 for the complete set......I should have taken it.......oh well....

• Options

<< <i>Well....I am about 80% done with selling off my set (8.65 GPA) which I started doing about a year ago.......including fees I had $22650 into the set. (including $2680 postage)

so far I have taken in about $18,200......but I have not factored in in ebay and paypal fees yet.

A year ago someone offered me $21500 for the complete set......I should have taken it.......oh well.... >>

Any Red Sox in PSA 9 left? If so shoot me a PM with which and I might be able to improve on that numberimage
  • Options
    mandeldmandeld Posts: 350 ✭✭
    I've got this one available in 9 if anyone is interested...

Successful transactions with: vintagetoppsguy, packman, barndog, Big80s, MurphDawg, BrackAttack, mealeworm, Publius, Whiteshoes, bigredone, rube26105, ledsters, reelinintheyears, digicat, themetalsign, OSClabs, 1420sports, bighurt2000, MeteoriteGuy, lsutigers1973, skier07, Machodoc, gameusedhoop, tennesseebanker, Downtown1974, CGeorge, Salinas, corvette1340, lbcoach20, initialD, IJustLoveCards, TedSimmonsFan, Goldlabels, Lothar52, bigred1, Bosox1976, itzagoner, svtPONY95
  • Options
    I haven't been active in this set for awhile. I have seen some big dealers though push out some stagnant inventory. I was happy to build this set in PSA 8 and will probably look into it a bit more closely now that prices have come down.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    This set gets a little confusing sometimes...

(2) Tim Foli IA cards - population 12 in PSA 9 - sell for about $650 and $495.

(1) Roger Freed card - population 9 in PSA 9 - sells for $15.

(1) Jose Cardenal Traded - also population 9 in PSA 9 - sells for about $345.

I understand the Cardenal and the Foli cards are high numbers, but I still can't quite wrap my head around the price difference.
  • Options
    it's easy - supply and demand. The crazies dont need the Roger Freed card.

Take a look at some 70 Topps cards in PSA 9 bidding on ebay. You would think that a couple of guys need to complete the set or else they face death or something.
  • Options
    Was looking through this thread today and came across some old pop report numbers of the low pops that Jami (lostdart58) posted a while back. I updated them again with the pops as of today.

• Options

<< <i>Was looking through this thread today and came across some old pop report numbers of the low pops that Jami (lostdart58) posted a while back. I updated them again with the pops as of today.

image >>

Interesting stuff to this long time collector of '72s. Kendell and Expos team card still the two toughest cards in the set!!

• Options
    Thanks for posting that population info.

I've been getting a little frustrated with the severe diamond cuts on some of the recent PSA 9's. Look at the current auction for #526 Bob Bailey and you'll see what I mean. The card just doesn't look right.

Speaking of Bob Bailey, that card has gone from population 13 in PSA 9 to population 20 in a span of about six months. As a result, a card that got a BIN of $69.99 at the beginning of the year now goes for $10-15.00. Stuff like that makes the prospect of completing this set a little daunting, because it's hard to tell when a low pop card, along with my money, will disappear. The same type of thing happened to #669 Willie Crawford. I'm sure you guys could come up with other examples, too.

Where do all of these new cards come from? Do I even want to ask? How many untapped graded cards are there?

• Options
    I'm about 2/3 of the way through putting together my Boston Red Sox set in PSA 9. If anyone has any of the cards I need, I'd be interested in working out a deal. Thanks.

Needed 72's:
    #2 Ray Culp
    #37 Yaz (Looking for a decent price)
    #38 Yaz IA (Looking for a decent price)
    #79 Fisk RC (Looking for a decent price)
    #88 AL RBI Leaders (Smith)
    #144 Marty Pattin
    #218 Eddie Kasko
    #565 Reggie Smith
    #674 John Kennedy
    #676 Danny Cater
    #704 Doug Griffin IA
    #734 Bob Burda
    #761 AL/NL Rookies (Oglivie)(Ron Cey RC)
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Great set I'm only doing a nm or better raw set. But I don't think I'd do this monster in graded just to big for me.
    Great thread anyway It's a good read.
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Also completing the set in NM or better in raw form.

If anyone has some nice extras, please let me know. I need about half the set still, so anything would help.

• Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I am looking for card #192 Cubs Team in a PSA 9 if anyone has one available. Thanks
  • Options
    If anyone is looking to start this set in PSA 8 or PSA 9, we have 3 large lots (actual auctions) on eBay ending Sunday 4/4/10.

1972 TOPPS STARTER SET LOT OF 230 PSA 8 & 8.5 NM-MT NQ

1972 TOPPS STARTER SET LOT OF 200 ALL PSA 9 MINT NQ

1972 TOPPS STARTER SET LOT OF 194 ALL PSA 9 MINT NQ
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got this card back from PSA, pulled from a wax pack about a month ago. My oldest Gem Mint 10 that I've pulled from a pack to date!

I am very happy with the grades on this sub! Quick turnaround, too. All of these cards with the exception of the 68 Aaron were pulled from wax packs over the last few weeks. I'm especially jazzed about the Gem Mint 10 1972 Nagy #488 (which had been a 1/1 prior to this grading). That is the oldest card I've pulled to garner a 10. My previous oldest 10 was a couple of 1973 OPCs.

37 1 16768945 GEM MINT 10 1972 TOPPS 488 MIKE NAGY Card US

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    My PSA 9 Red Sox set is coming down the home stretch. I did miss a tough one the other day. My internet crapped out just as I was trying to place my bid on a PSA 9 Bob Burda #734 which is only a pop 12 I believe. Haven't seen one in a while, and I have a sick feeling that I'm not going to again for some time.

I've been sandbagging on the Fisk RC and the 2 Yaz cards simply because they are a fairly high pop and I just always manage to find something better to spend my money on at the time. But I'm going to start looking to grab them up in the near future if the price is right.

If anyone can help me out I'd be psyched. Also I'd be interested in possibly upgrading some of these 9's to 10's. Thanks!

Needed 72's:
    #37 Yaz (Looking for a decent price)
    #38 Yaz IA (Looking for a decent price)
    #79 Fisk RC (Looking for a decent price)
    #88 AL RBI Leaders (Harmon Killebrew, Reggie Smith, Some other guy?)
    #734 Bob Burda
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I finished my 1972 Topps Pirates set in PSA 9 or better including the playoff and World Series cards.

I am working on the 1972 Topps In Action set in PSA 9. I need only 13 more to have all 72 cards in PSA 9. I do have the 13 in need in PSA 8. I was real happy to recently pickup in PSA 9 the Killebrew In Action and the Foil In Action. The 13 I still need in PSA 9 are 40, 50, 170, 178, 182, 292, 300, 310, 434, 446, 560, 568, 698.
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    Be ready to spend some serious dollars image I need some of those 8's so let me know when you are ready to cut loose of some of them. Dean
  • Options
    Would anyone be interested in this #48 high numbered 72 Topps set accumulation intact?
    I just want to put energy and money into another set I am working on!

let me know thanks

Texthttp://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/publishedset.aspx?s=3198&ac=1

• Options
  • Options
    PM sent
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>Fixed link for TypeSetter >>

thank you for fixing that. I will break my set down on price soon and post it... if it does not sell intact or by a few guys dividing it up I may just keep working on it for a while but would rather work on another set I started first~
  • Options
    Ok,here's the data......
    I have $6240.00 into the 25% complete set the majority being high numbers....

I totaled up the latest sales coupled with the average sales on some and after reviewing the hammering hit I will take on some....... it's worth $4959.98. I put five hours into reviewing auction results.
    Throw in $35 figure for shipping and insurance......which is no doubt about $300 less than I paid for the individual shipping costs and I would sell it for $4950.00+ the $35 .....loosing about $1300.00 and seven years of working on it slowly...
    let me know if you have interest.....maybe a few guys can divide it up? I can scan any card if needed...
    Thanks for the interest~ image
  • Options
    who wants it? image
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Just picked up a # 300 Aaron In Action PSA 9. That was a card I never thought I would get. Down to needing 12 cards in PSA 9 to complete a PSA 9 In Action set. I think there is 72 cards total. Still need 40, 50, 170, 178, 182, 292, 310, 434, 446, 560, 568, 698.
  • Options
    DuneDune Posts: 74
    I have the 72s in PSA 8:
    1972 Topps #25 Bill Singer - PSA 8 - $8 SMR
    1972 Topps #58 Ernie McAnally - PSA 8 - $8 SMR
    1972 Topps #59 Fred Stanley - PSA 8 - $8 SMR
    1972 Topps #64 Pete Broberg - PSA 8 - $8 SMR
    1972 Topps #80 Tony Perez - PSA 8 - $20 SMR
    1972 Topps #83 Dalton Jones - PSA 8 - $8 SMR
    1972 Topps #84 Vince Colbert - PSA 8 - $8 SMR
    1972 Topps #97 Tom Kelley - PSA 8 - $8 SMR
    1972 Topps #628 Terry Crowley - PSA 8 - $8 SMR
    1972 Topps #633 Jack Hiatt - PSA 8 - $8 SMR

I am looking to trade for for the following San Francisco Giants in the same year:
    36, 50, 76, 147, 185, 280, 296, 403, 428, 443, 444, 567, 568, 643, 694, 733, 761

If you can help me out I'd appreciate it.
    I collect PSA graded New Your/San Francisco Giants baseball cards.

My PSA Registry Sets
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    Just received grades on a few 72s submission #5011408 ORDER #20425079 IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. THANKS, ALAN
  • Options
    does anybody come into this thread anymore? or still collect this set? just wondering?
    All-Star Traders: Tigerdean, Backbidder, Bkritz, Nam812, Gemint, Heritage, Bosox1976, JMoran19