Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mint PR: United States Mint Releases One-Ounce 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin October 29th...

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    33297xxx @ 12:15
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Order # 33297xxx. Looks like about 1000 orders between Jesse's and mine.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • 33297XXX picked up 3. One for me and I get each of my girls one each year
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a lot of people are passing on this coin, the mint website is fast and accepts easy orders unlike with the Lincoln set in the first hour or two.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Presales appear to be rockin...not mineNGC 70 presale LINKEY

and saw a few raw presales completed range 1,600-1999., good grief...image
  • And yet people are offering them on Ebay for $1999 BIN! And also in PF70 holders. image

2009 Buffalo Proof
    Successful BST transactions with: gsa1fan, Coll3ctor, SNMAN, tychojoe, Hyperion, Littletweed, AgBlox, Robb, Steve27, ajbauman, kalshacon, tydye, gdavis70, 1jester, mrmojorisin, bestmr, guitarwes, PerryHall, mhammerman, DGJohn and DNADave.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Presales appear to be rockin...not mineNGC 70 presale LINKEY

and saw a few raw presales completed range 1,600-1999., good grief...image >>

Maybe the HSN shoppers have discovered Ebay.image
  • I think lots are buying, my order placed at 1:36 # is 33301xxx
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And yet people are offering them on Ebay for $1999 BIN! And also in PF70 holders. image

2009 Buffalo Proof >>

Not unusual. When the $800 06 Buff proofs first came out, they were bringing $2000 on ebay in PCGS PR70.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll flip a coin... >>

Don't drop it, it might damage the rim.image
    Paul
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15 minutes in......# 3329XXXX............image
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The lack of postings to this thread shows a lack of interest in this coin, I pass.
    USAF vet 1951-59

• << <i>I think lots are buying, my order placed at 1:36 # is 33301xxx >>

Looks like about 6000 orders in an hour and 36 minutes. Pretty brisk sales if you consider; a lot are likely multi-coin orders. I locked in 5.
    C'mon baby sell out!!!

imageimageimageimageimage
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell out fast.
    6k order in about 1.5 hours && the site was accessible == many orders for non-buffs, imo.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Just ordered one, back ordered to 11/12.

• notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell out fast. >>

Neither would I. I also wouldn't be suprised to see them still selling in Jan...hard to figure out the mint right now. --Jerry
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>6k order in about 1.5 hours && the site was accessible == many orders for non-buffs, imo. >>

next week someone should order two small items 2-4 ours apart to see what the normal number of orders/hr is.

• << <i>Just ordered one, back ordered to 11/12. >>

What are the first 4 digits of your order#? Thanks
  • mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

ordered mine at about 2pm.Easy online purchase.Took all of 2 minutes I couldnt believe it.Order #33301xxx
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>

<< <i>6k order in about 1.5 hours && the site was accessible == many orders for non-buffs, imo. >>

next week someone should order two small items 2-4 ours apart to see what the normal number of orders/hr is. >>

I placed orders 24 hours apart a few years ago and found the difference was 4,000 orders.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be the biggest surprise of the year for me. The Mint has sold over 110,000 of the unc. 1 oz in less than 2 weeks, and I believe they have a "ton" of planchets available ... compliments of the Perth Mint.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The lack of postings to this thread shows a lack of interest in this coin, ... >>

Probably more of a lack of funds than interest!image
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    Ordered one at 4pm - 33304xxx
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580

<< <i>

That would be the biggest surprise of the year for me. The Mint has sold over 110,000 of the unc. 1 oz in less than 2 weeks, and I believe they have a "ton" of planchets available ... compliments of the Pert Mint. >>

bullion (22K) sales have been in bulk, massive quantities, to third party dealers. I believe the buff's 24k planchets are surely limited, plus the mint is looking at 2010's projected needs. We could see the 09 buff proof end up with decently lower numbers than anticipated. Time will tell.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I didn't see any ordering limits so I figure they have a lot of planchets.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    probably, but you never know till you get caught off gaurd....
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That would be the biggest surprise of the year for me. The Mint has sold over 110,000 of the unc. 1 oz in less than 2 weeks, and I believe they have a "ton" of planchets available ... compliments of the Pert Mint. >>

bullion (22K) sales have been in bulk, massive quantities, to third party dealers. I believe the buff's 24k planchets are surely limited, plus the mint is looking at 2010's projected needs. We could see the 09 buff proof end up with decently lower numbers than anticipated. Time will tell. >>

??? Bullion Buffs are 24K, just like the proofs.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio

• 33305 @ 7:37...........image
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone is assuming that no limits=high numbers, but I don't recall any limits on the low mintage 08-W coins.Who knows with the US mint but since there are no fractionals I'd guess high mintage numbers on the 09 Buffalo proof(unfortunately)
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    2008 was an unusual year. With roller coaster precious metal prices, the US Mint repricings and on/off sales, I think that there were no limits at the end of the year on APE, ASE, AGE, and Buffalos was that the US Mint wanted to get rid of their inventory. Remember the last chance inventory sales.

That said, I am anticipating high 2009 mintages. image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2008 was an unusual year. With roller coaster precious metal prices, the US Mint repricings and on/off sales, I think that there were no limits at the end of the year on APE, ASE, AGE, and Buffalos was that the US Mint wanted to get rid of their inventory. Remember the last chance inventory sales.

That said, I am anticipating high 2009 mintages. image >>

In addition, there were just tons of various expensive gold and plats in '08. In '09 there is only this buff and, possibly a plat proof in Dec.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with both drfish and ebizgobro. However, the huge sales of U.S. Mint gold bullion in 2009 could impact on the current inventory of gold planchets.
  • is anyone order showing earlier than backordered for 11/12 ???
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    let's face it guys - no one knows where the mintage of 09 proof buffs will go.....

based on the huge numbers for the bullion issue, it appears there are large amts of planchets available.

how many of these planchets have been properly prepared for proof strikes? is the added cost of preparing the planchets "worth it" to gain approx 280 dollars addt'l from a collector? I would gamble volume on the unc's would be a better bet than sinking costs in to preparing "significant numbers" of planchets for proofs, and eating the marketing and other sales costs.

lets see where initial sales go.....then we will know

• aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

2008 mintage was just under 20,000, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Final mintage numbers are not yet available but reported sales of 2008-W Buffalo Proof 1 oz coins was just under 20,000 at 19,591.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the US Mint so screwed up 2008 gold and platinum mintages that they couldn't recover soon enough for 2009, that's why the last minute cancellations (announced last month). The gold buffalo bullion are mandated by law (i believe), and the mint was able to scrounge enough planchets for "some" proof buffs and "proof" plats, to save face and not be a total failure for 2009 (i hope i'm right). but really, when i turn 80 and gold is at $2,416.42/oz i'll roll, over find my glasses, and slowly make my way to the safe.... now what was that combination.... then i'll remark what a great buy that was image

(l8-)>>

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the backorder staus has changed, on the Mint's website.

Anyone seeing their Buffs being shipped yet??

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

<< <i>I see the backorder staus has changed, on the Mint's website.

Anyone seeing their Buffs being shipped yet??

Miles >>

Purchased at 12:10
    In stock and reserved, cancel box still appears

• 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    No thanks for now.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order in at 12:07

Still on hold but "in stock/reserved" instead of "on back order" .......with cancel box.

Come on IN PROCESS with no cancel box.......image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone ordered today? What's the current estimated order count?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • I have two orders, the first one has the cancel box gone and is in process. The second on is in stock, so I guess they are on their way.
    Order number: 33296xxx

Order Date: 10/29/2009 at 12:10 AM

Order Status: Your order request is in process.

"In stock and reserved" & cancel box gone.

the point?

at this point, the order can't be cancelled even via phone, but the shipment can be refused.

I just bought a buffalo for 1360 instead of 1310. image
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order 33304xxx for three of them.

Expensive. Will likely be high mintage numbers.

But I love the design and have three from each year.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got 2006-W/2007-W/2008-W Buff Proofs in my SDB..........Cost $800 - $1050
    Just cannot pull the trigger on this 2009-W Buffalo at $1360.
    A low low mintage is the only saving grace on this issue.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you Bully. On both counts. Can't bear to sell or buy the new kid...yet.

I hope enough warning signals occur; if not, I miss.

The Mint has been good to me!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file