Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mint PR: United States Mint Releases One-Ounce 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin October 29th...

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
I doubt I will be a buyer here....gold's up too high for my blood....even though I am a bully for gold!!! image

October 22, 2009

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint announced today that it will begin accepting orders for the one-ounce 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin at noon Eastern Time (ET) on October 29, 2009. Its price will be based on the United States Mint's pricing structure for numismatic products containing precious metals. To view current pricing information, visit http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=goldplat.

As a result of the numismatic product portfolio analysis conducted late last year, fractional denominations of the American Buffalo Gold Proof and Uncirculated Coins, as well as the American Buffalo Four-Coin Set, are no longer offered for sale.

The obverse (heads side) and reverse (tails) designs of the American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin are based on the original 1913 Type I Buffalo nickel by James Earle Fraser. The coin's obverse bears the profile of a Native American. Inscriptions on the obverse include LIBERTY, 2009, the initial F for Fraser and the W mint mark for the United States Mint at West Point. The coin's reverse features the revered American Buffalo, also known as the bison. Inscriptions on the reverse are UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, IN GOD WE TRUST, $50, 1OZ., and .9999 FINE GOLD.

Each 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin is presented in an elegant hardwood box with a matte finish and a faux leather inset. The coins are exhibited on a platform which can stand at an angle for display when the box is open. A custom-designed Certificate of Authenticity signed by the Director of the United States Mint is also included.

The United States Mint will accept orders for the 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin at its secure Web site http://www.usmint.gov/catalog or at the toll-free number 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Please add $4.95 for shipping and handling. There is no mintage or household order limit for this product.

The United States Mint, created by Congress in 1792, is the Nation's sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage. Its primary mission is to produce an adequate volume of circulating coinage for the Nation to conduct its trade and commerce. The United States Mint also produces proof, uncirculated and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; and silver, gold and platinum bullion coins.

Note: To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, orders placed prior to the official on-sale date and time October 29, 2009, noon ET, shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored. For more information, please review the United States Mint's Frequently Asked Questions, Answer ID #175.

Mint Link

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will partake in the proof GB.

I wish they would offer a slightly less expensive option without the fancy packaging. My guess is that most people would prefer it. The sentiment applies to all bullion offerings.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in since 2006....might as well keep going......

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭

So between $1310 and $1360.

whew, I'm passing for now.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would offer a slightly less expensive option without the fancy packaging.image

I only plan to buy them if they are low mintage. However, the Mint never tells me in advance how many they've made.

At $1,360.00 a crack, they ought to throw in a little man to carry that fancy case around on a velvet pillow.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will partake in the proof GB.

I wish they would offer a slightly less expensive option without the fancy packaging. My guess is that most people would prefer it. The sentiment applies to all bullion offerings. >>

I may change my mind about purchasing this golden Buffalo proof coin.
    This is what makes it so hard........
    My 2006-W PCGS PR69DCAM cost: $805
    My 2007-W PCGS PR70DCAMFS cost: $1450(bought slabbed)
    My 2008-W PCGS PR70DCAM cost: $1025
    Hey RYK, remember there are no Uncs.

***American Buffalo Gold Proof fractional coins and the four-coin set are no longer available. Additionally, the United States Mint will no longer offer American Buffalo Gold Uncirculated Coins.***

Mint Link

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Not I.......image
    Becky
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    My feeling is that the Proof Buffs will be a high mintage coin and won't appreciate much. I am keeping my power dry for the APEs if the design is appealing.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for 1!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>So between $1310 and $1360.

whew, I'm passing for now. >>

That is kind of steep but from all I hear and read gold will continue to go up. I'm on the fence on this one.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Too expensive for me.
  • Nope, trying to keep up with the Gold Spouses is getting difficult enough.
  • RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

I wish they would offer a slightly less expensive option without the fancy packaging. My guess is that most people would prefer it. The sentiment applies to all bullion offerings. >>

Why not just get the bullion Buffalo that's selling now? This is a proof, so shouldn't it have all the frills?
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hummmmm...No household limit...Methinks this means they minted a boatload of 'em...I'm going to have to think about this one...
  • No
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No household limit and NO MINTAGE LIMIT!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • ponderitponderit Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll flip a coin...
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Thinking about it. Strange how these Buffs are late but I'm on the fence about how many will be struck. Earlier this year I thought they would be a short strike but now......
    I am also wondering about the fractional Eagles as Ampex is already pre selling although the small print says if the mint cancels, your stuck with whatever they have on hand. So, if you want Eagles only, then they recommend waiting.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No household limit and NO MINTAGE LIMIT! >>

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• SLQSLQ Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Maybe if gold prices drop in the next week, otherwise probably not.

<< <i>

Why not just get the bullion Buffalo that's selling now? This is a proof, so shouldn't it have all the frills? >>

Not a proof....it's an Unc!!! image

Also, there is no 'W' Mintmark.
    This coin could be a very low mintage issue, but then again..........

From Coin News......................

The United States Mint today said the 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin will launch on Thursday, October 29, at noon Eastern Time.

The release date is not surprising since it was tentatively announced earlier this month. What is nearly shocking is that there will be "no mintage or household order limit for this product."

A quick "Hurray!" comes to mind, before it is silenced somewhat with the prospects of the mad dash to order.

Given their lateness in release, the fact that they were suspended several times in 2008 due to "unprecedented demand" for gold coins, and their natural desirability, the pent up demand for proof 2009 Buffalo coins is enormous. The bullion versions of these coins opened Thursday, Oct. 15 to blistering sales. 71,500 were sold by the following Monday. As of Wednesday, 86,000 were gone, representing in those few days an astounding 50 percent of the entire total sold in 2008!

And the bullion versions are sold in bulk to the Mint’s several authorized dealers — not in tens of thousands of onesies or twosies orders as will occur when coin collectors buy. Even an optimist has to suspect the US Mint phone lines and Web site will again be susceptible to downtime, as happened last Thursday when nearly 30,000 Lincoln Coin and Chronicles Sets were purchased within five hours.
    But then, it is not like any limit could prevent that if the one-ounce, 24 karat Buffalo gold coin price tag is within reach of the average collector who wants one. Perhaps that is what the Mint is expecting… that the price will keep some shoppers at home initially. Should gold remain above $1,050 an ounce as it has been, the price for Proof Buffalo coins will be $1,360 — a large increase compared to when the 2008s were launched and gold was cheaper. Yet, the 2008s on the secondary market are going for more than two times their Mint launch price. The $1,360 price does not look expensive at all by comparison.

The reality is that a limit could have increased the frenzy on order day. Still, there is no public Mint memo indicating how long the 2009s will be struck — it is close to 2010 after all — and how many 24 karat coin blanks they have. Most collectors are likely to purchase as soon as possible, "while they can." The 2008 experience and sudden halt of other collector coins has to be on the back of minds.

Last year the Mint struck fractional sizes of the Buffalo gold coin. This year it will not as a result of a slashing of its numismatic portfolio — a decision the Mint made in Nov. 2008. The Mint reminds coin collectors of this fact within its announcement today.

As a result of the numismatic product portfolio analysis conducted late last year, fractional denominations of the American Buffalo Gold Proof and Uncirculated Coins, as well as the American Buffalo Four-Coin Set, are no longer offered for sale.

Buffalo coin design
    Both the obverse and reverse of the Buffalo coin are the same basic design that first appeared on the 1913 circulating nickel, commonly known by most as either the "Indian Head Nickel" or the "Buffalo Nickel." This classic coin is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful ever produced by the US Mint and ran until 1938, when it is discontinued in favor of the Thomas Jefferson design.

The obverse has a portrait of a Native American, said to be a composite of three Indian chiefs. Many have claimed to be one of those three models, but only two were ever verified by the artist James Earle Fraser; Cheyenne Chief Two Moons and Lakota Sioux Chief Iron Tail.

The reverse contains an image of an American buffalo, also known as a bison. It is believed by many to be modeled after the creature named "Black Diamond" who lived in the New York City Zoo.

"Each 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin is presented in an elegant hardwood box with a matte finish and a faux leather inset," the US Mint said in its release announcement. "The coins are exhibited on a platform which can stand at an angle for display when the box is open. A custom-designed Certificate of Authenticity signed by the Director of the United States Mint is also included."

The coins are struck at the US Mint facility at West Point Mint and bear the "W" mint mark.
    Coin News Link
    imageimageimage

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want an NGC 70ER to go along with my 06-08. I don't feel like buying several and sending them to NGC. So, if I can find a reasonable pre-sale price for a 70ER, I'll suck it up and let someone else deal with the 69s. I think that his will have a huge mintage, so I only plan on getting that one.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to buy a few of these at $1360 (could be more) may seem as much a bargain as buying the 2006 at $800; the difference is, it may not take years to appreciate!

I am in, as is my routine with Mint issues of gold and platinum, since 2006.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    Quite right Miles. I had to force myself into six of the 06 buff proofs at 800 a pop. But when 4 of them came back pcgs 70s I was hooked on modern gold. Then came the 08W unc AGEs and buffs......hope it never stops!

• MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    I have some cash that has to go to the IRS in April. I'm planning on putting it all into 2009 proof buffaloes next week and then sitting on them for five months. IMHO, it's just about the best risk/reward scenario right now.
    Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

I will certainly go for one to start.The high price and no limit on mintage means that the 2009 will not reach the premium levels of previous years but it is a nice looking coin.Also a point to consider if this is an investment is the fact that there will be ALOT of coins ordered considering the huge appetite in general for PM s.Just look at the number ordered of buffalos released october 15th.

This will be my first buffalo ordered but I wont be ordering during the first few hours.Not ready for the feeding frenzy again.I will order sometime in the evening when I presume that the online ordering will be easier.image
  • I always preferred the MS version of buffalos. Money spent on them will have to wait as I'm one coin away from finishing a 10-pc. gold type set and I'm already lining up newps for the next type set. Bullion purchases are a thing of the past, ... 'til the next UHR or RP comes out. image
    You won't be seeing any of these again!! image

• I'm in for one, just to keep the proof type set going, but it couldn't have come at a worse time (permanent layoff). Good thing I planned ahead for this purchase.

<< <i>I have some cash that has to go to the IRS in April. I'm planning on putting it all into 2009 proof buffaloes next week and then sitting on them for five months. IMHO, it's just about the best risk/reward scenario right now. >>

Pay them with buffalos!

I did not see a First Strike™ option for the 2009-W Proof Buffs on the PCGS Website.
    In the past, it was an option......should also be an option for the 2009-W Proof IMHO.
    What say forumites?
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been in since 2006....might as well keep going......

• HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't appear to be much interest in the soon to be available PF 2009 $50 Gold Buffalo among Forum members. Will they be $50 cheaper next week from the USM as gold is currently going down for the last few days? Might it be a Sleeper if few step up to purchase them? Thoughts.......
    Specialized Investments
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I will get a few and see how they do. I'm still surprised that PCGS is not lowering their bulk minimum for these.

<< <i>I did not see a First Strike™ option for the 2009-W Proof Buffs on the PCGS Website.
    In the past, it was an option......should also be an option for the 2009-W Proof IMHO.
    What say forumites? >>

They WILL give first strike for these, as always.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Will keep the radar on, but I expect it to be a typical "year after" situation.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not feeling it.

<< <i>Not feeling it. >>

Me either.....T minus 77
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    $1360 is too rich for me.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May get one @ $1360 this week .... If gold stays below $1050, then I might get a few more @ $1310 next week .... My crystal ball and radar is not working for this one, but I suspect the Mint has a ton of planchets available... Perth Mint expects gold demand to drop by 30% next year, which may indicate, lots of planchets available to the US Mint.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    These are attractive coins but I think that with the limited choice of precious metal coins from the mint this year this coin will be the focus of all of the tv re-sellers and others making the certified numbers extremely high with lots of 70's. I would not expect any great appreciation unless they cut off sales very early. I would say get it for the beauty of the coin but don't expect to make a profit on it unless gold rises to $1300 or more.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>May get one @ $1360 this week .... If gold stays below $1050, then I might get a few more @ $1310 next week .... My crystal ball and radar is not working for this one, but I suspect the Mint has a ton of planchets available... Perth Mint expects gold demand to drop by 30% next year, which may indicate, lots of planchets available to the US Mint. >>

I'm wondering if they shouldn't be $1310 this week.

*The new pricing methodology is based primarily on the London Fix weekly average (average of the London Fix prices covering the previous Thursday A.M. Fix through the Wednesday A.M. Fix) gold prices, which reflect the market value of the gold bullion that these products contain.

I calculate: 1049.45 avg. (less if the pm fix are averaged also)

2009 london gold fix
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Do they have the packaging to make more? You need more than the coin.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipping available 11/12 for the Buffalo! No hurry..
    An oppurtunity for a layaway plan......

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    The product you have selected cannot be purchased at this time. image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    cheaper by the dozen - not

now accepting orders

1 @ Order Number: 33296xxx via online.
    mine is low 33296XXX

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file