Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mint PR: United States Mint Releases One-Ounce 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin October 29th...

124»

Comments

• << <i>Wow, GOLD over $1080....what does that mean to the selling price on the Proof Buffs this Thursday??? $1410??? >>

Yup - price of gold increased about $20 at about 10:30am this morning.
  • buy from the mint now ..... wait for a possible drop in price (not looking that way now) .... or wait and just buy slabbed???
    I know I want it but can't decide which way to go.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, GOLD over $1080....what does that mean to the selling price on the Proof Buffs this Thursday??? $1410??? >>

Still doesn't get me enthused enough to buy an upcoming high-mintage Gold Buffalo Bully.....Could be a bargain for many that want all the Buffalo years, though!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miles, I'm torn....will gold keep climbing? Then gotta buy now.
    I have all three years of Gold Proof Buffs...would love to have the 4th year......dang!!!! image

<< <i>Miles, I'm torn....will gold keep climbing? Then gotta buy now.
    I have all three years of Gold Proof Buffs...would love to have the 4th year......dang!!!! image >>

I hear ya Bully!
    When I bought the 2006 at $800 I watched Gold drop below the issue and current spot price of that Buffalo (ouch); but, I and many others, see things different now. Very different years!

My impulses tell me to grab one yet my gut tells me otherwise; so I hold. 2008 was easy; little thought required there.

If the play is for return on capital when Gold makes further moves then it may be very difficult to part with the Proof Buffalo verses a common Eagle.

If you gotta have, then you gotta..........

Miles
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all three years of Gold Proof Buffs...would love to have the 4th year......dang!!!! image >>

Ya never know if this will be the last year.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

<< <i>

Ya never know if this will be the last year. >>

Good point Derry!!

2008 was the first and final year for the Buff fracs and 2009 could be the end of the end for Buffs and Platinum.......

Miles
  • Miles,

I dont think this is the last year for the plats (at least the big coins) as they are kicking off a mutli year theme for the constitution. The $50 .9999 gold program is required to be produced in both proof and mint state form so maybe they will change the design but I have not heard of any new designs pending to replace the buff and they are almost into 2010 production scheduling now.

The bottom line is I think we will have one once proof plats dated 2010 and one once buffs dated 2010.

For what its worth.

Eric

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Eric. Unless you feel there is a tremendous downside to gold spot currently, you are in for about 100 bucks of risk in each proof buffalo. Current dealer buy for ANY proof buffalo is about 200 bucks over spot.

If you want one of these, then buy it. The numbers for the week popped, likely include all bulk dealer orders, so orders will probably dwindle from here. If gold spot moves beyond the 1100 barrier, orders may only trickle in.............

It's late in the year, Holiday's are around the corner, the 1 oz PLAT is coming in 30 days, all spells not many more retail buyers for this item, wouldn't surprise me if 20K of these were ready to go and that's it. All depends on demand.

Is it going to de-throne the 2008-W? Very Very Unlikely.

<< <i>Wow, GOLD over $1080....what does that mean to the selling price on the Proof Buffs this Thursday??? $1410??? >>

Make that over $1090!!!! image

At the moment, makes me glad I didn't cancel my order in hopes of a lower price. Will know more on Thursday!

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• thanks, but I really should put this purchase amount toward a $3 piece.

<< <i>At the moment, makes me glad I didn't cancel my order in hopes of a lower price. Will know more on Thursday! >>

The MINT price grid indicates the Buffalo price at $1360 would remain the same as the London Fix on average remains below $1100. Correct?

Miles

<< <i>

<< <i>At the moment, makes me glad I didn't cancel my order in hopes of a lower price. Will know more on Thursday! >>

The MINT price grid indicates the Buffalo price at $1360 would remain the same as the London Fix on average remains below $1100. Correct?

Miles >>

Correct, but if i had cancelled and reordered (even at same price) I probably would have pushed my ship date back. My original order for 12 was placed at 12:10. Still hasn't shipped, but should very soon. I was looking at a possible savings of $600 if price did drop, so it was awful tempting. Glad I didn't do it.

Gotcha Derry! Congrats on the delightful dozen!!

Miles
    Delightful remains to be seen! Plan on sending in 8 for grading (PCGS memership renewal voucher) but ordered an extra four just to cull the bad ones. I'll send in all that don't have mint damage, otherwise there will be some returns.

• Didn't look like the price of gold was going to drop so I pulled the trigger late, late, last night. Looks like that big purchase in India might have done the trick. I figured not to get caught with my pants down in the unlikely event the Mint stops production. Now that I bought these will probably be available into 2010! image
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it going to de-throne the 2008-W? Very Very Unlikely. >>

It looks like sales are already over 2008 and climbing. Also someone said dealers can order for a discount so it will climb even higher in all likelihood.

I think the question is will it come in under the 2007 60,000?
    ??

Miles
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    Now on backorder today on the mint website. Limited mintage?

<< <i>Now on backorder today on the mint website. Limited mintage? >>

Could be, or could be all the dealer orders at a reduced cost overloaded the system.

The only way to know for sure is to order a few!!

Miles
    Proof Buffalos!

The gift that keeps on giving for 2008!!

<< <i>Proof Buffalos!

The gift that keeps on giving for 2008!! >>

Miles, that is moon money!!! But on the other hand, it helps my inventory:

2008-W American Buffalo Proof $10 1/4oz PR69DCAM

2008-W American Buffalo Proof $50 1oz PR70DCAM
    2008-W American Buffalo Proof $25 1/2oz PR69DCAM
    2008-W American Buffalo Proof $10 1/4oz PR70DCAM
    2008-W American Buffalo Proof $5 1/10oz PR70DCAM
  • I think these buffaoes are just starting to climb. Can't imagine what they will be worth in a couple of years.

<< <i>

<< <i>Proof Buffalos!

The gift that keeps on giving for 2008!! >>

Miles, that is moon money!!! But on the other hand, it helps my inventory:

2008-W American Buffalo Proof $10 1/4oz PR69DCAM

2008-W American Buffalo Proof $50 1oz PR70DCAM
    2008-W American Buffalo Proof $25 1/2oz PR69DCAM
    2008-W American Buffalo Proof $10 1/4oz PR70DCAM
    2008-W American Buffalo Proof $5 1/10oz PR70DCAM
    image >>

Nice graded herd Bully!!

With this rapid ascent in the Buffalo Set prices it leads me to wonder how far it will reach in comparison to the 2004 Platinum Proof Sets, for instance?

Miles
    Dealer orders were probably in the 20k first weeks numbers.........never could be sure..........
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No shortage of 2009 W Buff proofs at the Union Station Mint Kiosk today - they had them in stock and ready to go. They said that sales have been brisk. BEAUTIFUL coin!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of 11/1 ......

Proof Gold Buffalo 1 oz Mintages

2006 246,267
    2007 58,998
    2008 19,591
    2009 19,468

It would not surprise me to see them exceed the 2007 totals ... so what are the 2007's selling for?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Push back to December!!!

• I placed two orders two minutes apart: 12:11 & 12:13. The earlier one was mailed on Tuesday (They are gorgeous!), but nothing for the second one, although there is a hold on my credit card. I also got an e-mail from one of the dealers that there would be a delay of a week or two for these coins. I really don't think they will make many more of these.
    Puritan, don't feel bad. I ordered at 12:10 and it still has not shipped! Credit card (which is good) has been showing the charge pending since 11/2.

• I don't think they have shipped many coins out.

Hope you get your coin soon.

<< <i>Push back to December!!!

image >>

Pushed up to Nov. 20

image >>

• aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Will these go up Thursday?

anyone doing the math ???

• ponderitponderit Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If spot price stays above $1,100 they'll go to $1,410
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty

• << <i>Will these go up Thursday?

anyone doing the math ??? >>

Unless something changes drastically, anyone sitting on the fence may want to pull the trigger today,
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the price will go up on Thursday, but with over 27,000 sold already, the potential for price appreciation, other than the bullion value, is marginal. If you collect the series, you need to jump on the wagon tonight in order to save a few bucks.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    who can believe the sales numbers anymore after the whole 08-W PLATINUM UNC debacle.....

is it 27,000, or 20,000, or 10,000

did they count each coin as two sales (obverse and reverse).....hahahahaha

we went from 4,000 coins to 2,481 on the 1/4 plat........tell me that isnt a major accounting screwup

all I know is that proof 1 oz buff usually carry a wholesale premium of $200/oz. over spot. Spot is just north of $1,100. That means wholesale, we are at around $1,300-1,320. about $40 bucks less than issue. NOT much risk.
  • Personally from a pure investment standpoint I'd rather have same $$ amount in 2008-W fractional gold buffalos at current prices rather than 2009-W 1 oz. coins.

As years pass those collecting the 1 oz. Buffalos will be drawn back again and again to those pesky 1 year fractionals.......

Can you really see someone with a 10-15 year collection of 1 oz. Buffalo proof or Unc. coins and NO fractionals??
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Got my 2008 1/4 ounce proof, I'm done! image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • made the jump before increase. I knew I was going to get one just a matter of when. Was hooked from the first time I held one.
    2many -

I agree that the fractional buffs are outstanding coins to own in your box of 20, but right now they are pricey and seem to have stagnated.......

Why not make some money on FS70DCAM 2009-w buffs and then - a month from now- go and buy the 08-w fractionals.....cant see them being anymore expensive in the next 30 days
    Well, I remember the "Good Old Days" when a man could buy a UHR for $1189 and a set of Gold Buffalos for $1900-$2000 from the Good Old Mint, (the Gold coin getting place).

Something tells me tomorrow will be the another in the end of them days........

Miles
  • INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    Bingo $1410.00
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86

• << <i>2many -

I agree that the fractional buffs are outstanding coins to own in your box of 20, but right now they are pricey and seem to have stagnated.......

Why not make some money on FS70DCAM 2009-w buffs and then - a month from now- go and buy the 08-w fractionals.....cant see them being anymore expensive in the next 30 days >>

I suspect you are correct that some quick flippers will make some $$$ playing the FS and 70 grade game.

There seems to be no shortage of fools who pay premiums for FS labels and premiums for 70 graded coins in situations where 1 out of every 2 coins submitted is a 70.

I just doubt those premiums will hold the test of time.

Why pay a premium for a 70 graded coin when you can just buy 2 raw from mint and have a 75% probability of getting a 70 on submission??

Consider the UHR.............100,000+ coins and 60%+ grade 70..........what sense does it make to pay a premium for those??
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    You can buy a MS 70 FS 2009 $50 Gold Buffalo for $1260. Of course though there are 120,000 already minted.
    More crazy money on the Great Buffalo Run....

Escalatin' Buff Proofs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file