Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mint PR: United States Mint Releases One-Ounce 2009 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin October 29th...

Comments

• Order # as of 10:00 pm tonite....33312.

I think the mint is pulling a fast one......these are going to be a short run......I think........12-15,000 tops!

First they state delivery on the 12th, so all are on B/O when ordered, buy as many as you want, no restrictions, now some folks have cancel boxes and some don't, and it seems that none say Backordered......something is up!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trying to sell these before everyone cancels due to the impending price drop... which should have occured on Thursday, pre-release.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Order Process Date: 10/30/09

Merchandise : 1360.00
    Freight . . . : 4.95
    Total . . : 1364.95

1. 2009 BUFFALO GOLD PROOF 1 OZ. (BA9)
    Qty 1 @ $1360.00 - In stock.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Order # as of 10:00 pm tonite....33312.

I think the mint is pulling a fast one......these are going to be a short run......I think........12-15,000 tops!

First they state delivery on the 12th, so all are on B/O when ordered, buy as many as you want, no restrictions, now some folks have cancel boxes and some don't, and it seems that none say Backordered......something is up!

image >>

It appears, that a short run is hopeful dreaming ... over 22,000 orders have already been placed. ( I realize that they are not all Buff orders, but even if only 60% were and with no order limit ... well, you get the idea.)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    33,312,000 - 33,296,000 = 16,000 +/- 500 = 15,500 to 16,500 currently.

Less a couple thousand for other products in the mix.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    and they rushed the charge through:

from my bankcard: 10/30/09 PENDING US MINT COIN SALES-DR $1364.95

from my other bankcard: 10/30/2009 9399 US MINT COIN SALES-DR $1,364.95

also no more "will be available to ship on" date on the mint item webpage

either they are all in stock, or what's in stock is all there are

we shall see

(l8-)>>

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have done this before (posted a backorder date, then quick shipped) as I believe they want to avoid the second-guessing/cancellations/cold feet.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order status

Your most current order appears at the top of this page. Your order history will include any purchases that you have made online since the creation of your My Account profile. Future purchases made by mail, phone, or fax may not be reflected in your online order history.

All Orders Recent Orders (3 Months)

There are no orders found

Hope they are just updating the site!

Edited to add: Yep, just an update, I'm back on!

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• Forum members: Is there a final verdict "To Buy" or "Pass" on ordering the 2009 PF Gold Buffalo from the USM ? Thanks.
    Specialized Investments
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Forum members: Is there a final verdict "To Buy" or "Pass" on ordering the 2009 PF Gold Buffalo from the USM ? Thanks. >>

you are the jury, you have to decide the final verdict. But if you're asking me, buy 48 of them.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• Buy it because you want it, not because of anything else. I like the coin an bought it because of that.

Don't try to guess what the Mint has up its sleeve, because you will end up wrong.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Forum members: Is there a final verdict "To Buy" or "Pass" on ordering the 2009 PF Gold Buffalo from the USM ? Thanks. >>

If gold stays under $1050 and they don't sell out, the price will be $50 less next Thursday.

• Boring coin.......they look just like the other years image
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

The downside is ~$300. The upside is (almost) unlimited.
    Seems like a no-brainer to me.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Big pass to me. Minted till the cows come home imho. The Mint saw the UHR sales......you don't think they see the profit potential here.............They aren't as dumb as you think, well not quite that dumbimage
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The downside is ~$300. The upside is (almost) unlimited.
    Seems like a no-brainer to me. >>

I take the opposite position, Gold could and probably will go back to the $300 - $500 range, thus the downside is $800. The upside is very limited as I doubt it will go much higher than it is now.

• I would like to buy one but the cost is within 1 dollar of my mortgage payment. Buy my foreign gold so I can get one.
  • The Coin Vault has these listed in MS 70ER for $1799.00. OUCH! Check out their website.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's quite the price differential.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Coin Vault has these listed in MS 70ER for $1799.00. OUCH! Check out their website. >>

Actually, they are listed for $1235

Remember, these do not carry the 'W' mintmark.

Pre-orders for the 2009-W proof.....Linky

<< <i>

<< <i>The Coin Vault has these listed in MS 70ER for $1799.00. OUCH! Check out their website. >>

Actually, they are listed for $1235

Remember, these do not carry the 'W' mintmark.

Pre-orders for the 2009-W proof.....Linky >>

and the NGC proof 70's are listed for $1,585 ... yup the mint produced a ton of the proofs, otherwise they'd be going for $2,000+
    ( I'm glad that I only purchased 1 )
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree that MCM's current prices indicate mintages-right before /after the 08W $50 closed at the mint I was buying NGC ms70's at MCM for around $1300.The prices start going up a few days after it becomes apparent that the mintage will be low.
    Canceled my Mint order today, while I still had the chance. I'm convinced that the Mint has thousands of planchets available for this coin, otherwise it would have been a sell out by now.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got word today that the Mint would be selling Proof gold Buffalos on its bulk dealer program, at effectively a 4% discount.

Of course, it did this after many of us had already ordered ours at full price.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>We got word today that the Mint would be selling Proof gold Buffalos on its bulk dealer program, at effectively a 4% discount.

TD >>

How good is your source? Is this straight from the USM?image

<< <i>We got word today that the Mint would be selling Proof gold Buffalos on its bulk dealer program, at effectively a 4% discount.

TD >>

With the 'W' Mintmark??
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhhhh,

Well, dealers usually do not buy this crap anyway right? image
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We got word today that the Mint would be selling Proof gold Buffalos on its bulk dealer program, at effectively a 4% discount.

TD >>

The cats out of the bag.......glad I passed on this one. Bet they minted a billion of them so to speak.

<< <i>

TD >>

The cats out of the bag.......glad I passed on this one. Bet they minted a billion of them so to speak. >>

I also have my doubts about a "limited" mintage for the scheduled proof plats for December .... "Caveat Emptor"
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

The cats out of the bag.......glad I passed on this one. Bet they minted a billion of them so to speak. >>

I also have my doubts about a "limited" mintage for the scheduled proof plats for December .... "Caveat Emptor" >>

Who said that there would be a "limited" mintage of the plat proofs?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    if you believe gold has a new floor above 1000, there's not much risk in these at 1310-1360.

anyone pays 200 over for proof gold buff's (raw). so, your risk is about 100-150 per coin. in fact - no risk. send it back.

i think one REDICULOUS priced coin is the 1/2 oz 2008-W buffalo gold. WAAAAAY too big a mintage to support its current trading price. the 1oz 2008-W unc pricing is discounted comparitively to the 1 oz proof 08-W, another wacky relationship in pricing.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

TD >>

That's a helluva squeeze play on the loyalists image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a helluva squeeze play on the loyalists image

The Mint's standard operating procedure. You're surprised?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>We got word today that the Mint would be selling Proof gold Buffalos on its bulk dealer program, at effectively a 4% discount.

TD >>

Who'd you get word from?
  • Tuesday November 03, 2009 7:41 AM (NEW!)

2009 ULTRA HIGH RELIEF GOLD COIN 102,311 and selling

2009 AMERICAN BUFFALO GOLD PROOF $50 COIN 19,468 and selling

2009 AMERICAN BUFFALO GOLD MINT STATE $50 116,500 and selling

Sales report as of 11/1/2009.

2008 was a good year.......

Hope you did not flip them all........

• << <i>

TD >>

Who'd you get word from? >>

I got the same email from the mint, I am a bulk purchase dealer. You can indeed get these for a 4% discount if you order at least $5000 worth at one time.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Eric for the numbers!!

Yes, Im glad I did not flip em' all from 2008; what a year!

2006 and 2008 were vintage times.....

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got the same email from the mint, I am a bulk purchase dealer. You can indeed get these for a 4% discount if you order at least $5000 worth at one time. >>

$5000 is only 4 coins?image

Looks like adding them to bulk though will make the proof mintages soar even more. Maybe the mint will add proof silver eagles to bulk and proof platinum now.

PS I agree on the 2008 w buffalo, they will stay low mintage monsters.image
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

This is NGC. I haven't seen any PCGS 2009 Buffalos on TV. Has anyone else? Traditionally the PCGS coins sell for more on TV so I would expect them to ask $2k or more for the MS70FS PCGS 2009 buffalo. --Jerry

Are you a collector, speculator, dealer, or just looking for an easy buck? --Jerry
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector I have my ounce Buffalo gold coin so I don't need another. I wish I had purchased the fractional pieces more as a collector than as a missed opportunity to make a killing, but maybe the mint will offer then again in the future.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I had about 10 PCGS MS70 FS 2008 1/4 oz buffs ordered and paid for about the time the mint announced the end of the program and the tv dealer backed out of my order after waiting about 6 weeks. I am still sore about that.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>I had about 10 PCGS MS70 FS 2008 1/4 oz buffs ordered and paid for about the time the mint announced the end of the program and the tv dealer backed out of my order after waiting about 6 weeks. I am still sore about that. >>

So do the TV guys all have fine print that a deal can be canceled at their discretion?

--Jerry
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I had about 10 PCGS MS70 FS 2008 1/4 oz buffs ordered and paid for about the time the mint announced the end of the program and the tv dealer backed out of my order after waiting about 6 weeks. I am still sore about that. >>

So do the TV guys all have fine print that a deal can be canceled at their discretion?

--Jerry >>

They gave me a sob story and a $500 credit and I let it slide. Still hurts a bit though when I see what they sell for today.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    I bought my first one ounce 2009 buffalo gold proof. It going to hurt but really wanted this one. In stock and reserved and getting ready to ship from the mint.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    btw coin vault had ngc early release 2009 gold buffalo proofs for $1799.00 or around there for a 70 yesterday night.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine shipped today.......image

• << <i>Mintage so far... >>

Looks like the 2008-W one-ounce proof Tatanka will remain the king. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    Wow, GOLD over $1080....what does that mean to the selling price on the Proof Buffs this Thursday??? $1410???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file