Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    very nive mathewson, WOW

congrats on that one
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Wow! image Nice Mathewson card!!
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    Some additions to my HOF 1956's

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a perfect looking 5! David.

Beautiful presentation, color and clarity - why bother selling a kidney for an 8?

On the prewar sets - that's why I'm only doing one and one small BB set - raw is just fine with me.

Where are you at with the CJ set?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

A couple recent HOF'er additions...

imageimage
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nicest 4 I've ever seen on the Aparicio!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Feeding my 1977 Addiction

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    The 2 GAI packs came from board member BobS, The PSA came from BBEC.

• Options

I had this box, so I put the four pins together in it - the '56 Yankee was the one I reported on last week. I found the other pins in a box and put them together.

I wasted 45 min's of my life looking for one of the screws that go to the back - finally today I got up and tried to think it through and then it dawned on me - one of the screws was NEVER taken off - so I placed the pin onto the red construction paper with the screw in place and took the screw from another pin! What an idiot!!!! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

It FINALLY came today!

My new FAVORITE card in my collection!
  • Options
    Congratulations on the Mantle!

It would by my favorite also! Absolutely beautiful card with really nice centering!

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    WOW!! Nice card!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Also, love that pin set Mike.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    While not contributing to this, my favorite thread, in some time... I have been playing along and home.

packman - that Mathewson is gorgeous! If I collected baseball, no doubt I would be chasing that set... albeit in considerably lesser grades.

smtjoy - that 1934 Exhibits 4-on-1 has some MAJOR star power on it. I am always amazed at the sheer number of baseball items made over the years. If it weren't for this thread, I would never even see a great number of them.

Elemenopeo - That Aparicio looks way better than the grade to my eye... but I have pretty pleb tastes when it comes to grading, which is why I do not submit to PSA myself.

Clemaz & Gonblott - great pick-ups from one of my favorite Topps baseball sets.

Stone - you always have the coolest "oddball" items. Do you have a Barfvadaresque room you keep all these treasures in since they take up much more room to display than cards?

I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend while taking some time out to remember and celebrate our fallen heroes.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>Stone - you always have the coolest "oddball" items. Do you have a Barfvadaresque room you keep all these treasures in since they take up much more room to display than cards? >>

First, thanx snortman!

Yes - tho not complete yet - am looking for a few cabinets right now - I went on the net and found a few commercial display cab. co's that have used cabs also. The room - unfortunately is on the small side - so wall space is not what I'ld like.

And also - I agree - this thread has great stuff!!!!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Once again you guys are posting great items.

smtjoy: I like the Exhibits. The 1934 Exhibit must be one of the last cards produced with Ruth as a Yankee. Great images of Gehrig and Dickey.

Gonblott: The '56 Mantle is sweet. I cannot see a flaw on the card. That is great purchase.

Mike: Your pins are the perfect compliment to the '56 Mantle. Are the other pins from 1956? I love seeing the variety of your collection.

Regarding the question on my 1915 CJ set, I am a little over 40% on the set. I have around 37% in PSA and the balance in SGC. I haven't decided whether I will convert the set to SGC or PSA. I really like the look of the CJ cards in the SGC holder. Here is a link to my set on PSA with scans of all the cards: PSA LINK

Here are some more recent additions to my CJ set. The cards came from a combination of eBay and off eBay sales.

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimage

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Packman, all I can say is WOW! That's an awesome set you've got going!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>Your pins are the perfect compliment to the '56 Mantle. Are the other pins from 1956? I love seeing the variety of your collection. >>

Hi David

First let me congratulate you on some superb CJ's! It looks like you're moving fast and furious on the set!

On the pins - the top 2 are WS Press Pin from 1955 and the bottom 2 are press pins from 1956.

A super collage would probably involve a program, nice ticket and the press pins and perhaps a press pass which was issued to writers also I believe.

Thanx for asking.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Gentlemen, as usual you never cease to amaze me with what you guys post. Between Stones decanters, the Teddy Ballgame Redman, the Ruth Exhibits, all the super high grade 70's material, and all the other fantastic stuff, thanks for sharing with the rest of us. This thread is the only place I have ever seen some of the items you all have posted.

But with all due respect to everyone elses post (cause you all have killer items) I got to say that the Anson that Packman posted made me stop and mumble HOLY $&@!. That is a show stopper right there, congrats on scoring such an incredible card Packman.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Too many great cards -- Gonblott, that '56 Mick is a bomb. Congrats!
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Packman's definitely in a different league. The Anson and the CJ's are out of this world. Thanks for sharing, and please keep it up!

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Seeing all of these great pre-war baseball cards really makes me envious. Besides for a handful of issues like the Shotwell candy Grange set, Mayfair candy set, Mayos, and the National Chicles, there really is not much pre-war football out there. Can you imagine how awesome it would be, if there were mainstream football issues of all the pre-war baseball sets? image
  • Options
    Had this among some 69s in my mailbox waiting for me today.

• Options
    That 56 Mantle is incredible. Love the Crackerjacks too.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Turn page
  • Options

<< <i>Too many great cards -- Gonblott, that '56 Mick is a bomb. Congrats! >>

Thanks for all the comments guys.

=P
  • Options

A lot of 8 of these...

• Options
    love the hair!

on a serious note...unbelievable...whats your favorite card?

• Options
    The nice thing about collecting cards is that there is something for everybody. With patience you can pick up some great cards that have a technical low grade but retain great eye appeal. I do not want to sidetrack this thread but to answer the question regarding my favorite card, I do not know if you mean my favorite CJ or any favorite card in my collection. I will answer both:

My favorite CJ (great eye appeal but low grade due to a flaw in the top border):

My favorite card other the CJs (tie between these two cards - Wagner is my favorite because it was the favorite card of my collecting mentor growing up and Ruth because it is his first card as a Yankee which is my favorite team)

• Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Got a few additions for my personal collection today......

• Options

imageimage
  • Options
    Wow, those 76 antenna balls bring back memories!!!!

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Wow, those 76 antenna balls bring back memories!!!! >>

They also make your car easier to spot (LOL)...i couldn't resist...
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Finally picked up a '55 Topps Ken Boyer rookie for my Cardinal set:

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    Quentin Rookie 1 of 25 black refractor auto
  • Options
    Cliff Lee Rookie Auto 1 of 25 with a sticker attached (LOL)
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A few more for the set:

imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    EDIT - bought another....

imageimage 1
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    I'm very happy with mail call today!

Doug
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    DJSPANN...your'e one lucky dude! the first football card...simply awesome!
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    Thanks Ryan! I've been watching these for a few years, and I've bid on several of the recent ones at auction. I'm excited to have won this one!

Doug
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Thanks Ryan! I've been watching these for a few years, and I've bid on several of the recent ones at auction. I'm excited to have won this one!

Doug >>

I knew when I saw your name on the last post of this thread that it was going to be something special, Doug. Absolutely stunning Beecher... congrats on the addition!

Snorto~
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the nicest centering PSA 6 I have ever seen on this card so I pulled the trigger on it. I have seen terribly centered BINs for over $100.00, but I was surprised to get this for $78 and some change. Another tough one out of the way.

• Options
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    BlackborderBlackborder Posts: 2,797
    Awsome n162!
  • Options
    As usual alot of great stuff.

The N162 Beecher really jumps out at me and Sting just keeps rollin along with great scans of 9s for his 76T set!

Again David - more great cards - the Cobb is sweet! For a 2 - ya can't beat it!

To everyone - thanx for sharing!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options