Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    rajah424rajah424 Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Just picked this up.

1937 Goudey Thum Movie of Mel Ott. Kinda beat up a little but still pretty cool. I've never seen these before.

imageimage
  • Options
    This is nothin amazing, but I had the chance to watch Weaver play at my high school a lot when I was a little kid. He was a year older than my sister in school and he came over to the house a few times. Traditional all american story of coming from a small community of 10,000, busting his butt through div. 1-AA football at Carson Newman to become a starter in the NFL. Great guy too.

Another Johnson...

This is one of those times where the scan does NOT do the card justice at all. The autos are on card and are on this shiny foil board surface and when the light hits it, it's really nice looking.

For my Braves HOF set that is nearing completion.....

Stown told me a week or two ago that he was going to send me something but he couldn't tell me what it was. I kept my mouth shut and gave him my address not knowing what to expect. First he apologized for not getting the card out when he said he would and then sent it Priority the next day, for a card that he was GIVING to me! I opened up the mailer today and this bad boy popped out........

I finally have an Aaron for my set, and this is a SWEEEET card! I've said it before, but thanks SO much Stown!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Got a few cards today for my personal collection...

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK - as the self proclaimed King of Krap - this is my 24th sports related whiskey decanter! image

The Lionstone series is probably one of my favorite since they're made well - this one is 13" in height.

The other two major companies are Jim Beam and Ezra Brooks whiskeys.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike that is a great looking piece! How old is that?
  • Options
    Wow Mike, you have a lot of random collectibles! That piece is pretty cool, despite the shorty shorts and the tip-to-tip action. Are all 24 by the same company?
  • Options
    Mike, thats realy cool.

Were do you find the space for all this stuff??? I have no choice but to stick with cards, or else I would have no space!

Giovanni
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Just picked up 50 of these beauties from a well known reputable dealer.

• Options

<< <i>Wow Mike, you have a lot of random collectibles! That piece is pretty cool, despite the shorty shorts and the tip-to-tip action. Are all 24 by the same company? >>

No - as I said - a few are Lionstone - most are Jim Beam or Ezra Brooks whiskey companies.

I've got decanters representing boxing, horse racing, both indy and nascar racing, bowling, FB, BB, Bkb and college FB.

I have these displayed on book shelves in my room along with board games, auto baseballs, some hartland figurines and autographed books.

I need more space desperately - I would like to display my games.

In fact - I picked this one up tonite! These are the seller's pics - I'm not a big fan of the Jim Prentice games since the outside box graphics aren't that good but it's in incredible shape! So here it is:

Jim Prentice M100 Electric Baseball - circa 1940/50s in Nm shape!

I have another but want to wait to scan it and talk about it - I'm kind of excited!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Won this one last night, a Pop of 11:

• Options

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Just got the Scheindienst for my Cardinal set in the mail:

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Page turn
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    First, courtesy of CU member tennesseebanker... 1951 Bowman Connie Ryan, a former LSU baseball player...

Some more Cepedas that I picked up...

1962 Topps... A little rough, but not bad for a buck...

1960 Topps... Again, rough, but not bad for a buck...

1968 Topps... Listed as EXMT, but unless I'm missing something, this card is waaaaaay nicer!

I picked up this Cepeda RC for $2.50! It isn't great, but it was nicer than the one I had (which was none...)

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mike great items!!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Picked up this beauty the other day.........

pulled my damn back out thoughimage

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    My first B&W lobby card - the movie - House of Wax 1953 starring Vincent Price.

It was the first movie in both 3D and stereophonic sound on the big screen.

Mike
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

A T218 addition. It's amazing, at least to me, that out of the 153 subjects in the T218 series, 10 are named Harry or Harold... possibly 11 depending on what the H in H.J. Handy stands for.

• Options
    Just one these ones:

each is under a Pop of 20.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I picked up this game used David Ortiz bat last year, and this past weekend I was able to get it signed.

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Got a few cards today for the personal collection....

• Options
    That Big Papi gamer is sick.
  • Options
    Superb Ted!

Shows great use also. The auto takes it over the top!

mike

Mike
  • Options
    Jeff Niemann Gold Refractor...19/50. Sweet looking card in person and IMO, him in the USA jersey makes it that much sweeter. I was able to pick this up before he had his great MLB debut so I got a great deal on it compared to what they're probably selling for now. Cost me under $5 delivered.

Scott Kazmir auto "True" Rookie card. I believe that this was his only card produced by one of the big name companies until 2004. The fact that he's still on the DL helped me pick it up for cheap. The subgrades are Centering:10, Edges: 9.5, Corners:9.5, Surface: 8.5.... so close to being a 9.5! It's not like you can feel the surface when it's trapped in that coffin anyways!

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Love the bat.

A few of the new guys...

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Sweet cards Mark!

How come when I opened 87D, I never got cards like the Orel? Outstanding and thanx for sharing.

I assume you're doing the 84T set?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Couple of new additions to my personal collection....

1977 Mike Schmidt...

1965 Bob Gibson....

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    My first 1951 Bowman card. I blamed it on Perk and BDB in another thread! Now, I have Bowman fever!image

Robert
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't pass this bad boy up! The closest that I will probably come to owning a Nagurski rookie. I love it!

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My first 1951 Bowman card. I blamed it on Perk and BDB in another thread! Now, I have Bowman fever!image

Robert >>

$#%#$....more competition for the Bowman ##$#$#$#$!!!!!!

LOL...glad to pass on the passion for the Bowman football!
  • Options

Sometimes, it's just not what is on the front of the card that counts!!!! Any choppiness on the right side is from the scanner.

It's what is on the backside that counts!!!

• Options

• Options
    1979 topps grocery pack. to rip or not to rip? that is the question.

White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Sweet cards Mark!

How come when I opened 87D, I never got cards like the Orel? Outstanding and thanx for sharing.

I assume you're doing the 84T set?

mike >>

Thanks Mike,

I use to love Orel in '87. I have the #1 1987 Donruss set, all PSA 10. I think if I looked over them all, they are all from factory sets. Overall, it has been a fun set to slowly chip away at. Lots of cool rookies, hard black borders (for the PSA factor) and underrated photography. I need to get a Bonds and a Maddux sometime. Interestingly, all the 1987 Donruss PSA 10 rookies are cheaper now then ever, except for Maddux, which seems to be steady if not going up a little. The Bonds still sells for over $20...which is my target price and I imagine I will get one sooner then later.

I am sort of doing all the 80s baseball and football sets. On the 84 baseball set I am currently #10, about to take #9. I kind of like the ideal of the PSA registries being the Olympics and in that sense I am like Brazil. I will take a few medals, compete decently in a lot and do terrible in a few.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>I am like Brazil. I will take a few medals, compete decently in a lot and do terrible in a few. >>

Very cool!

Carew29

Very nice card! I've never seen that before - great item - did you pick it up on ebay? I would guess they were given to candy store guys to give to kids to get them excited about buying the product?

Scott - great 3 pack!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

Mike Wheat had it ($16). There is only 1 PSA 6 of Sly in Sample form....
  • Options
    Two of my recent pck ups.

These are both numbered to 25 and they both insclude the players inscription.

These are going into my PC for my set registry.

Giovanni
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    BDB that Bronk is phenomenal and those Dixie Lids looks so much better in SGC slabs in my opinion.

A few cool new arrivals for me this past week starting off with a few singles for the various sets I am working on including a beautiful Marion Motley HOF rookie, another Leaf high number, and a decently centered addition to my 1955 TAA:

I also picked up a group of WFL unused tickets that were dirt cheap to add to my defunct football league collection:

And lastly a new addition to my Emmitt Smith Run With History collection... not hard to find by any means but I think it is a cool piece. I included a standard sized card in the scan to show the piece's relative size:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Nice stuff Snorto! I love that Motley- he almost looks too big for that card!
  • Options
    My Christiansen arrived this morning so a HUGE thank You goes out to Gabbs for this one!

• Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    2nd time around with this card.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Fresh in from one of my best Brett Butler suppliers, Roger (Rogermnj)

imageimage
  • Options
    Another one for the set:

• Options
    Pretty stoked to see these arrive today and move forward a bit on my often neglected 1935 National Chicle beater (PSA 2 & 3) set:

By the way, this seller had apparently listed combined shipping in the wrong amount. I factored shipping into my bid and paid only to have them refund part of the shipping cost without my saying a word on the matter. I thought this positive experience warranted a plug and hope no one minds my doing so.

Alas, mail is often the only positive thing I can look forward to on Mondays... is it Friday yet?

Snorto~
  • Options
  • Options
    Joejo I am not sure I can tell where the stains are by the scan... are they on the right hand corners? Regardless, that Bench rookie has phenomenal eye appeal. Congrats on the addition!

Snorto~
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Great stuff, guys. Especially like those Chicles... "Shipwreck" Kelley... what a great card.
  • Options
    Thanks Snorto. I have not found any stains yet.

The right corners look to be stained, but under close inspection it look to be just the printing.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this one today courtesy of Paul (perkdog). He even sent some free Red Sox cards along with this. Thanks again Paul for a great transaction.