Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    A few new additions... Nothing huge, but nice...

Albert (Joey) Belle: A beast both on and off the field. A a deplorable combination. If he acted more like Kirby Puckett and less like Jason Voorhees, he'd have been a 1st ballot HoFer.

Joe Carter: A walk-off HR to win the 1993 World Series. It doesn't get more exciting than that! But, 10 100+ RBI seasons and a 1-and-done performance in Hall of Fame voting?
    This was one of the hottest cards around when I was a kid in the late 80s, early 90s. It's kinda fun to go back and get those cards I coveted as a kid, but are dirt cheap today.

Bo Jackson: 1989 All Star Game MVP, 2 sport mega-star.
    Another card I always liked. I paid about as much as I spend during a trip to Starbucks for it.

Tom Gordon: 1998 AL Rolaids Relief Pitcher Award.
    The only Major League baseball player to be featured in the title of a Stephen King book: "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon."
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>AUPT that is AWESOME!!!! >>

• Options
    I've been looking for a "Bluto" card for a while. Now I can add it to my D-Day autograph card.

cheers
  • Options
    Got this for a steal and couldn't resist this die cut. After I complete my 2000 Edge Supreme master set I was thinking about back tracking and completing this one. I just like the cards. I'm an oddball buy I guess.
    1997 Fleer Goudey II Barry Sanders "Big Time Back"
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

The oddest oddball I've picked up in a while.... but I'm a sucker for anything with Jose Cardenal in a Cubs uniform.

• Options

<< <i>Superb Ring Brian!

So - thinkin' about a Phd from Tek?

What's the size on the ring?
    mike >>

Hi Mike, once you go into the real world in this field, it's nearly impossible to walk away from the money and be poor again for a few years, although I'd never say never. Tech wouldn't be an option though because it doesn't look good to get the PhD from the same place as BS and MS in engineering mostly due to the lack of diversity both in terms of faculty and facilities. I'd prefer MIT or Michigan. The ring is size 9.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digicat

Great cards - especially the Belle - I wanna say I remember hearing that he refuses to sign a card that has "Joey" on it?

Brian

Well - good luck if ya ever decide to attent MIT. Size 9? Definitely not a lineman.

Jeremy

Super Aaron card.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

On of my favorite '55AA "updates." >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This card and a 52 Mantle were on my list to own someday in any condition. Its not the prettiest, but its still a Ruth. Thanks to Mike aka. thenavarro.

• Options
    VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY exciting pick-up tonight!

And my first 8.5 in the 49 Bowman set!

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This card and a 52 Mantle were on my list to own someday in any condition. Its not the prettiest, but its still a Ruth. Thanks to Mike aka. thenavarro.

image >>

Now that is an awesome card!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Nice pickup Bob! I would love to own a Ruth someday!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY exciting pick-up tonight!

>>

I remember seeing that the other day when I was looking for some to pick up. If you don't mind me asking, what'd it close out on? I saw it with a day to go and be interested if there was much action before the closing. I guess I could look it up in comple- NAH, too much work. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY exciting pick-up tonight!

>>

I remember seeing that the other day when I was looking for some to pick up. If you don't mind me asking, what'd it close out on? I saw it with a day to go and be interested if there was much action before the closing. I guess I could look it up in comple- NAH, too much work. image >>

$124.50.... very fair I think.....
  • Options
    nice cards, everyone. congrats on the goudey ruth pickup...even if it is low grade, it still has nice eye appeal.

and you have sweet scanner, digi...all your cards always seem to pop out from the page!
  • Options

That's one of the creations of Bob Lemke - who edited for SCD - did their updates and a really good guy. His cards for that set are gems!

There was an article - in SCD a while back.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    You paid less than $125 for that 49 bowman? You keep picking up these bargins I tell ya!
  • Options

<< <i>You paid less than $125 for that 49 bowman? You keep picking up these bargins I tell ya! >>

I agree. Straight 8's have sold for more than that on this specific card, so I'm pretty excited about it.

Thanks for looking man!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    the ruth is a great card!!

the notre dame piece is really nice jeremy may i ask where you picked it up, or was it made for you.
    thanks
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Upgraded to a 7 on one of my all-time favorite cards.

Although a little newer than I usually buy...I couldn't pass up this Layne.
  • Options

Didn't think I'd stay away forever did you?!
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Nice pickups, Goot. You've really been bit by the vintage bug, haven't you? Keep up the good work!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Not too bad, for a buck...

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    not quite as clean as i wanted but there are no major PD on the picture and the centering is pretty good. i am happy image

White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    I agree Scott - super pickup - it's very hard to find an Oz perfectly centered - and if ya do? Be ready.

Just imagine opening an entire vending case and not seeing one centered Oz?

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Upgraded to a 7 on one of my all-time favorite cards.

Although a little newer than I usually buy...I couldn't pass up this Layne.
    image >>

Ryan, both cards look sweeet! The Tittle looks very clean, I like it.

Nice to see you grab a 61 too- that means one less Bowman for you and possibly one more for me! image
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Some additions from the last week...

2007 Signa Cuts of 1953 Heisman Johnny Lattner...

..and Football HOF'er Bob Lilly.

imageimage

A nicely centered Sandburg RC

A few more 87' Donruss...

imageimage

I have been getting into tickets lately as well. Here are a few trades and purchases.

1969 Indianapolis 500 (Andretti's only win)

Jaguars first game

Eddie George's 1st TD (and second game)

Jerry Rice breaks Steve Largent's TD record

And a Bart Starr auto...

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Got a couple of new additions today....

Dave Debusschere PSA/DNA Autograph for my NBA 50 greatest collection (got this bad boy for less then the PSA authentication fee).

Del Crandall for my 1960 Topps AS set.....

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Won this one, a Pop of 9:

Oops, I got this mixed up with the Bruce Kison card that is a Pop 9, DOH!!
  • Options

Very nice card Mark!

Nicer than the one I pulled from vending a few yrs ago - I do have it on a half uncut sheet from toppsvault.

Looks like a 10 to me.
    thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Picked this 1934 Butterfinger R310 from the 'bay, expecting it to be a normal '30s "card" size, but noooo... it's almost 8x10 sized. Still a keeper to me.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike!

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    A big Thank you to PerkDog for trading me this great Baugh!

• Options
    Gotta show this one again!!!

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    distel - are the Butterfinger R310 cards from the candy bar we know by the same name today?

joejo20 - great to see your latest additions as you continue your march towards the 1950 set.

perk - did you put a clause in the trade that BDB cannot outbid you for the next 30 days or something?

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!

Snorto~

• Options

<< <i>perk - did you put a clause in the trade that BDB cannot outbid you for the next 30 days or something?

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!

Snorto~ >>

image I knew you would sniff this thread out! image

Actually I didnt think of that! image He is sending me a few cards that will fit nicely in my collection though..

Even though Im getting a few nice cards in return and it was an extra one I still felt the need to do an impulse buy to make up for the loss of one of my Bowmans!
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Couple of photos in the mail today showing Perez at Crosley Field in 1967. That is Tony manning third base on the second photo.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I've written this before, but that's the coolest of Baugh's card, to my eyes.
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    That is a nice Sandberg card!
  • Options
    Page turn...
  • Options
    Those are nice Perez photos, Kev. What's the story behind them, if you don't mind my asking? That's Lee May bringing up the rear in the first one, isn't it?
  • Options

<< <i>distel - are the Butterfinger R310 cards from the candy bar we know by the same name today?

Snorto~ >>

Yup, the one and only. Apparently they were giveaways for grocers. "Buy a butterfinger, get a baseball poster"
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Those are nice Perez photos, Kev. What's the story behind them, if you don't mind my asking? That's Lee May bringing up the rear in the first one, isn't it? >>

GDM, that is Lee May in the back. I picked up a group of pictures taken at Crosley field by someone at Crosley Field during the late 1960s. The pictures are printed on glossy kodax paper and are about 2"x4" . The Perez coming off the field is the only one up close. Others are more far away shots of the field.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    Just bought this one with a low BIN, IMO, one of the best centered PSA 8s or better than some 9s I have seen in a long time:

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Great Bench! That's one of my favorites. Nice work!

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>Great Bench! That's one of my favorites. Nice work!

Robert >>

Thanks, just could not pass this one up, I have not seen any 9s this nicely centered on Ebay in a long time.