Home U.S. Coin Forum

New variety in Ike series coming out

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was consulted on a neat new variety in the Ike dollar series, which will be reported in Coin World Online on Monday. It's amazing that nobody caught it in all these years.
TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• No other details?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PUP......need the friggin PUPS!!!!!image

Seriously...please post the PUP.

• << <i>It's amazing that nobody caught it in all these years.
    TD >>

Accented hair?

What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Accented wig?image
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Accented hair?

image >>

how about accented scalp? image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Good Looking?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    I think he is talking about the type 7 Rev.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Un-friendly Eagle Pattern??image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope it's a date that I haven't looked at much so I have an excuse for missing it. image

Please don't let it be a mint set coin. image
    Tempus fugit.
    With my luck it'll be the bicentennial mule I've looked for many years and not found.
    Tempus fugit.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Details? Inquiring minds want to know... Cheers, RickO
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tease! >>

DITTO!

At least can you provide a year?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was released late in 1978, it was a gender-bender between Ike and an SBA - someone with photoshop can provide the ugly details!image
    I wonder if someone found a hoard of 1971-S 40% Proof with the Type 1 reverse?

nah.........................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has nothing to do with the 1976 No Mint Mark 40% silver Proofs, Type I or Type II.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Must be the 1979's.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • lol Rickimage
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you just want to say "something" is coming out but give no details, then I will just wait and wait for someone willing to give the info.

Really! People seem to like to jump out and say "I Know SOMETHING you don't!!! Nyah nyah nyah" but don't stand up and say anything.
    Are you under orders, or restricted, from saying something actual and clear about this or just don't want to?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>It has nothing to do with the 1976 No Mint Mark 40% silver Proofs, Type I or Type II. >>

Oh, Lord, it's a mint set coin. I just know it's gonna be a mint set coin. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The suspense is killing me...how about a non-proof 40% with no S? (I'm just guessing here)
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • I suspect a nefarious plot to make us all spill our secrets before we are scooped.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's amazing that nobody caught it in all these years.
    TD >>

Accented hair?

image >>

you are too quick!

perfect!image
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, if you just want to say "something" is coming out but give no details, then I will just wait and wait for someone willing to give the info. Really! People seem to like to jump out and say "I Know SOMETHING you don't!!! Nyah nyah nyah" but don't stand up and say anything. Are you under orders, or restricted, from saying something actual and clear about this or just don't want to? >>

time to start drinking....
    Well I, for one, have freshened up my Coin World online access and have set some reminders to see what Tom is referring to!

The name is LEE!
  • The nefarious plot gets worse. It is now extortion. To get the answer promptly is not free. It will cost you $22.97 even if you are already a print subscriber. I hate to wait several weeks, but will before I pay.
    Nah!

I'll post what I find provided it hasn't already been posted!

But since I live on the West Coast, I feel certain that somebody will beat me to it!

The name is LEE!
  • So..... what is it?
    Good question! The RDV-006 (FEP) has already been reported so I'm really curious!

The name is LEE!
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    it will be a ddo.

<< <i>it will be a ddo. >>

Why would you think that?

The name is LEE!
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    people are finding DDO lincolns that no one else noticed until
    recently, why not a Ike?

just my guess.
  • Come on Lee. Wake up. It's Monday.
    I'm here but I'll be danged if I can find anything in the 11/26 online Coin World!

Is that the latest one?

(I did see an article about the 10/4-10/5 Las Vegas Coin Fair where some guy brought in a roll of 1893-S Morgans for appraisal! The coins graded from fine to XF with the better ines being submitted for grading! )

The name is LEE!
  • I just this minute looked at my mail. There was a Coin World November 26 cover date there. It says mailed 13 November, so probably 6 days en route is not too bad.

It sounds like the on-line is not updated. I once thought I saw something about Tuesday being the update day. I know Tom said Monday.

Hey, Tom, bail us out here.
    Although the Dec 3rd issue is not online just yet, the preview under News & Analysis shows:

"ICG Confirms the existance of two Proof 1971-S Eisenhower dollars with a reverse used for Uncirculated coins"

This would be a 1971-S 40% Silver Proof with a Type 1 reverse (RDV-001) instead of the Type 2 reverse. For the Eisenhower series, the 1971-S 40% Business strike coin had the Type 1 reverse while the Proof coin had the Type 2 reverse. Most folks just give the coins a cursory glance for the obvious clean strikes or for peglegs. Very few actually get down and look for the Doubled Dies and even less actually validate the reverse die design.

I am as guilty as the next guy but it is on my list of items to check.

Coneca has this listed under DDO-016 here. The date of reporting is not mentioned.

The name is LEE!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the story, all right.
    TD
    Great!

I guess now the prices on these puppies will go up!

The name is LEE!
  • Its a 1971-S Proof 40% Ike $1 from Type 1 reverse from Proof finished dies intended for MS copper nickel clad & MS 40% silver strikings. This is a Mint error as someone at the San Francisco Mint grabbed a reverse die intended for business strikes and polished it for Proofs, leaving a potential for 3,500 of these errors to exist. ICG has certified two specimens and according to James Wiles he saw one several years ago.

Cameron Kiefer
    Thanks Cameron!

I imagine that these were missed in the same way that the Reverse Die Variety Six (RDV-006) was missed up until December of 1999! The coins get looked at but never REALLY looked at or studied!

I guess it just goes to the overall disdain that some collectors have toward this unique coin. Yes it is unique in that it represents the largest Copper-Nickel clad coin ever minted or ever to be minted and required constant design tweaks so that a good coin COULD be made.

High grade specimens for any of the Copper Nickel clad coins are very scare with only 91 MS67's being graded for the 8 year production vs 179 MS67's for the Peace Dollar over a 9 year production run! The prices for MS67 Peace Dollars literally dwarfs the prices for an MS67 IKE!

Maybe this discovery and validation of the 1971-S 40% Proof Type 1 Reverse will generate some interest in Eisenhower Dollars?

The name is LEE!
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could on of the Ike guys post some pics? I'd like to start looking...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

<< <i>Its a 1971-S Proof 40% Ike $1 from Type 1 reverse from Proof finished dies intended for MS copper nickel clad & MS 40% silver strikings. This is a Mint error as someone at the San Francisco Mint grabbed a reverse die intended for business strikes and polished it for Proofs, leaving a potential for 3,500 of these errors to exist. ICG has certified two specimens and according to James Wiles he saw one several years ago.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Thanks. What a relief. It's not even Mint State. image

It's something more to look for though.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>Could one of the Ike guys post some pics? I'd like to start looking... >>

Sure!

The 1971-S & 1972-S Proofs received the Type 2 reverse for both years. What you would be looking for is the Type 1 Reverse on the 1971-S 40% Silver Proof.

While you are at it, look for the Type 2 Reverse on the 1971-S 40% Silver Business strike. I've heard rumor that these could exist as well.

In 1973, the Type 3 Reverse was used for the Proof Coinage but as with anything, boo-boo's happen at the US Mint!

The name is LEE!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, if you just want to say "something" is coming out but give no details, then I will just wait and wait for someone willing to give the info.

Really! People seem to like to jump out and say "I Know SOMETHING you don't!!! Nyah nyah nyah" but don't stand up and say anything.
    Are you under orders, or restricted, from saying something actual and clear about this or just don't want to? >>

reminds me of hillary saying she knows something about obama.......but won't say what image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Lee, you have some very interesting philosophical thoughts there on the status of Ikes. I disagree slightly. I think Ikes have acheived a great deal of sucess as versus several similiar clad quarters.

A FEP (FEV, RDV-006) in MS 65 is a hot item on the order of $300.
    The 1972 Philly type 2 in MS 64 is right up there too at a similiar price. They appear in auctions regularily. Peg Legs and Talon Heads
    are popular.

I have seen only two high relief clad proof artwork quarters (type B) on the market this year. There was an unc 1969 D on e-Bay and Heritage had a 1970 D in low grade. Both had $200 minimum bid.
    Neither received that bid during the auction, but both sold afterwards for full minimum as far as I know.

The 1969 D's quarters are such that I can separate them into 3 piles by touch alone.

So many moderns yet so little time!

The name is LEE!
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    so is ICG the only service that will attribute these?

and how many more have been found?

do the proof dies only last for roughly 3000 strikes?
    Oh, I think ANACS would certify them and possibly NGC and PCGS with the right documentation.

To date, despite my best efforts, only the two have been found and as with anything involving the US Mint, even though 3,500 were possible, someone could have noticed and pulled the die. For example, with as much die polishing as was required, it is totally possible that stars began to disappear after only a couple dozen coins at which point, the die would have been disposed of.

These coins, IMO, are definitely ones to watch for but there are just so danged many other coins to get distracted by!

The name is LEE!
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    What would one of these babies go for in say PR 64 grade..???
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file