Comments

• Options
    bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats to the owner for identifying it and obtaining the grade >>

Thanks.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice image- and thanks for posting.

While I understand that the obverse usually carries the grade, the reverse is the story and at a minimum is worthy of equal billing image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent!

Did they have to see the brown box with the medal,and did they return it?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    A 1971-S Proof with the Type 1 reverse was purchased on Heritage tonight for $9,987.50 which included the Buyers Premium. ($8,500 bid)

The coin was NOT the one previously posted but one which had been submitted to NGC for a PR68UCAM Holder along with the Nixon Box.

My guess is that this was #5 based upon:

1 - Seen by James Wiles
    2 - Seen by JP Martin abd slabbed by ICG
    1 - Purchased off eBay and slabbed by PCGS (coin above)
    1 - Sold on Heritage Tonight.

How many more are out there? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A 1971-S Proof with the Type 1 reverse was purchased on Heritage tonight for $9,987.50 which included the Buyers Premium. ($8,500 bid)

The coin was NOT the one previously posted but one which had been submitted to NGC for a PR68UCAM Holder along with the Nixon Box.

My guess is that this was #5 based upon:

1 - Seen by James Wiles
    2 - Seen by JP Martin abd slabbed by ICG
    1 - Purchased off eBay and slabbed by PCGS (coin above)
    1 - Sold on Heritage Tonight.

How many more are out there? image >>

No idea, but I've looked at a TON of '71-S proofs since this post was started, and haven't found one yet.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A 1971-S Proof with the Type 1 reverse was purchased on Heritage tonight for $9,987.50 … The coin was NOT the one previously posted but one which had been submitted to NGC for a PR68UCAM Holder along with the Nixon Box … >>

Link to NGC press release
    I scanned the article a couple times. I don't remember seeing anything about the Nixon presentation box. They did however allude to it in the final sentence: "There is some speculation that the Type 1 Proofs may have been included in the coins distributed to VIPs during ceremonies that preceded the general release to collectors, but this theory awaits further research."
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A 1971-S Proof with the Type 1 reverse was purchased on Heritage tonight for $9,987.50 … The coin was NOT the one previously posted but one which had been submitted to NGC for a PR68UCAM Holder along with the Nixon Box … >>

Link to NGC press release
    I scanned the article a couple times. I don't remember seeing anything about the Nixon presentation box. They did however allude to it in the final sentence: "There is some speculation that the Type 1 Proofs may have been included in the coins distributed to VIPs during ceremonies that preceded the general release to collectors, but this theory awaits further research." >>

Uhhhh.............don't spend too much time on that press release since it is so totally screwed up!

It shows a Type 2 reverse and is calling it the Type 1 Reverse? It also points out all the wrong features of the coin and yet once again gets into really, really, really obscure differences that only serves to confuse people.

"Because the reverse variety is so new to the hobby, it does not yet appear in The Cherrypickers’ Guide to Rare Die Varieties of United States Coins, but it’s a likely candidate for inclusion in a future edition."

This is not a "new to the hobby" variety folks. First reported in 1998 which is older than the RDV-006 which was reported in 1999.

Oh well.....................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Congrats to the buyer- that may prove over time to be one of the great bargains of the entire auction.

I was under the impression that 2 were graded by ICG at PR 65- and from what I recall, they do not have a cameo appearance or the general look of either the one graded by PCGS or NGC.

In addition, I was under the impression there was an ANACS graded at 64 that was similar to the ones graded by ICG. This makes 5 that have been graded.

And I do have a theory... STAY TOONED

• Options
    Could somebody please provide a link to the Heritage lot?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thank you!

linkified
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly, the Heritage lot came with (2) Nixon boxes, not one, including a Nixon box for the regular $20 comparison coin that came along with the lot.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Interestingly, the Heritage lot came with (2) Nixon boxes, not one, including a Nixon box for the regular $20 comparison coin that came along with the lot.

Wondercoin >>

Huh! I missed that!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Interestingly, the Heritage lot came with (2) Nixon boxes, not one, including a Nixon box for the regular $20 comparison coin that came along with the lot.

Wondercoin >>

Huh! I missed that! >>

I think its "interpretive reading" since the lot states:

"The two pieces also come with distinctive packaging, a variation on the cardboard "Brown Box" that has a gold-colored plastic replica of the Seal of the President of the United States and embossed facsimile signature "Richard Nixon" below."

I suppose that it could be concluded that both coins will come with a Nixon Box..........

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were two Nixon boxes in the lot.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    So presumably not all Nixon boxes contain the mule.....
  • Options

<< <i>There were two Nixon boxes in the lot. >>

Folks then need to be on the watch since the box does not carry as much value as the coin.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    There is no guarantee that the Nixon presentation box will contain a type i reverse proof- however, the box is still quite rare.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is no guarantee that the Nixon presentation box will contain a type i reverse proof- however, the box is still quite rare. >>

...even more rare if another tape is found in it. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There is no guarantee that the Nixon presentation box will contain a type i reverse proof- however, the box is still quite rare. >>

...even more rare if another tape is found in it. image >>

Three friggin days..........................and I finally figured out what the hell you were talking about! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options

TTT for Keets

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    That's the story, all right.
    TD

Made 'em work for it, didn't you.

Look at the upheaval you caused. ;)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Old thread.......

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file