Home U.S. Coin Forum

New variety in Ike series coming out

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would one of these babies go for in say PR 64 grade..??? >>

Rough guess?

$7k - $15k
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting thread

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Tease! >>

DITTO!
    At least can you provide a year? >>

Double ditto >>

Had me all excited until half way through I realized this was an acient ass thread from over 5 years ago.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Tease! >>

DITTO!
    At least can you provide a year? >>

Double ditto >>

Had me all excited until half way through I realized this was an acient ass thread from over 5 years ago. >>

G-d I need to check the datesimage

with all these OLD threads being resurrected lately image

<< <i>interesting thread >>

Whats MOST interesting, was the thread that YOU posted specifically about the auction this coin was listed in! You know, the one with the Richard M Nixon Presentation Box.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Good Lord, Lee, you are hot.
  • Have a look at the cover story at:

http://www.ikegroup.info/
  • So how many more of these have been found? Any 3rd party start a variety for it or as usual they ignore the IKE series...
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    very cool.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn! Sucked into another ancient thread ...
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have a look at the cover story at:

http://www.ikegroup.info/ >>

This is exciting! I remember seeing the thread here about that box and a lot of us just thought an aftermarket presentation.
  • cc99999cc99999 Posts: 19 ✭✭
    the thing about the box, and I'm the author of the article, is that virtually no one knows what it is. there are hunches- some way out in left field.

People who I've talked to that worked at the mint think it was presented to the President. Perhaps a dozen or so were made for that purpose.

Others thought it was a mint store offering- I find this to be highly unlikely

Still others think it might have been an aftermarket product- but the use of the seal makes me think that too would not be possible.

Were the coins discovered in the late 2000s from the same boxes? It would be nice to know. Maybe the owner knew that to be the case but didn't want to spill the beans.

I can confirm that more boxes exist. I have a tenuous connection to their owner. I cannot at this point vouch to whether more examples have this die marriage. If so, it wouldn't necessarily explain what it is.

We have more irons in the fire and we are curious to find out the truth. Right now we have leads and a cool coin.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have a look at the cover story at:

http://www.ikegroup.info/ >>

...linkified
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting, i wonder what the amount minted is on these ( or at least a guesstamate )

<< <i>the thing about the box, and I'm the author of the article, is that virtually no one knows what it is. there are hunches- some way out in left field.

People who I've talked to that worked at the mint think it was presented to the President. Perhaps a dozen or so were made for that purpose.

Others thought it was a mint store offering- I find this to be highly unlikely

Still others think it might have been an aftermarket product- but the use of the seal makes me think that too would not be possible.

Were the coins discovered in the late 2000s from the same boxes? It would be nice to know. Maybe the owner knew that to be the case but didn't want to spill the beans.

I can confirm that more boxes exist. I have a tenuous connection to their owner. I cannot at this point vouch to whether more examples have this die marriage. If so, it wouldn't necessarily explain what it is.

We have more irons in the fire and we are curious to find out the truth. Right now we have leads and a cool coin. >>

JP Martin who attributed the two ICG coins has stated that both coins were received in the standard brown box and NOT a presentation box.

James Wiles has stated that the submitter of the coin that he saw In 1998 was not the submitter of the two coins in 2007.

Looks like a couple of irons could be taken out of the fire.

The name is LEE!
    Straight from the US Mint website:

(July, 27)
    President Nixon presents the first proof Eisenhower dollar to Mrs. Mamie Eisenhower in the White House. Treasury Secretary John Connally and the Director of the Mint are also present.

It is highly probable that the Nixon and Presidential seal box was for this event

<< <i>Straight from the US Mint website:

(July, 27)
    President Nixon presents the first proof Eisenhower dollar to Mrs. Mamie Eisenhower in the White House. Treasury Secretary John Connally and the Director of the Mint are also present.

It is highly probable that the Nixon and Presidential seal box was for this event >>

Please provide a link.

The name is LEE!
    Text

I think that sums it up...

<< <i>Text

I think that sums it up... >>

Thank You.

The name is LEE!
    Now for our next step, there is a reasonable chance that the September 1971 issue of Coinage has some type of write up and pictures. I no longer have my Coinage magazines- for those of you that do or have access to them, we all might be surprised at what we see

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Text

I think that sums it up... >>

I think I've seen this box. Apparently I didn't buy it because I've checked my specimens.

I might have passed on it because that darn reverse relief was so poor. image
    Tempus fugit.
    As for the box-

Aftermarket?

Not for this Box. Why would whoever did this leave their name off the box? Would it not make advertizing sense to, at a minimum, have a business name on the inside? Plus, the wood grain is the exact same as the regular issue

Made for the President?

See prior US mint link. The likelyhood is a special box would have been used for the presentation to the former First Lady as noted.

How many were made?

I suspect a guest list to the event would be help. Likely an additional 5-10% would be made to handle the potential overflow.
    The number is likely under 500- depends if lunch or dinner was involved

Could they have been sold at the US Mint shop?

NO- more would have surfaced

Could they have been ordered for the White House Gift Shop?

Yes- however the problem is finding someone associated with the gift shop to confirm this.

Are there more Ike Dollars that feature this die marriage?

Highly probable

• Further discussion on this latest find can be found here:

http://forum2.ikegroup.info/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1777

<< <i>
    Are there more Ike Dollars that feature this die marriage?

Highly probable >>

There are three others of which at least one is confirmed by James Wiles as DDO-016.

image )

As for the box, I think it's more than likely official since the wood grain does appear to be almost an exact match plus the gold seal which normally appears on the box is in the lower right side and is embossed into the surface. As such, it cannot be removed.

It's highly probable that the box is officail.

The coin, on the other hand, may not be exactly the same in all examples of the box. I say this because the 12/3/2007 Coin World article specifically states that the two which were submitted to ICG were in regluar IKE Brown Boxes. JP Martin is a fairly smart cookie who would have spotted the differences in the boxes immediately.

Additionally, proofing a Type 1 Reverse has side affects which show up as degraded devices on the coin. Specifically, the stars on the right side reverse, almost get blended into the fields. E PLURIBUS UNUM get affected as well. Certainly not the quality one would expect for a presentation piece. But then, they're politicians and not coin collectors right?

Supposedly, the person which consigned this piece to Russ has others which he's not ready to sell just yet. I know because I asked if there were more and was told that the seller has already turned down offers of $250 each. (Generous) Of course, my questions were around the possibility of "photographing" the remaining pieces to determine if more existed or if the others were normal Type 2 Reverse coins.

So far, there is lot's and lot's of speculation and unanswered questions. But then, if the questions are asked of the right people, perhaps there would be some answers. All the historical information is in the 12/3/2007 edition of coin world. This one liner from the US Mint is simply more information on what the box "could" be".

The name is LEE!
    For those of you that interested in this, the link to the Ike Group is a must read- seriously

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this going to turn into the 2009 Lincoln variety thread that is shamelessly self promoted and hyped 10 times daily?image Just kidding image
  • cc99999cc99999 Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Lee points out many of the correct variables. But we must understand:

1. The consignor is not interested in letting anyone at the coins thinking they are super valuable (could be, could be not). The consignor obviously didn't know what they were when he consigned one to sell on ebay.

2. If we knew what was in the rest of the boxes we'd be in a better position to judge the contents.

3. No matter what's in the boxes, people want the coins and are trying to pry them out of the consignor's hands.

4. Whose to say that Coin World even remembers anything about those coins? Just because they wrote an article doesn't mean that they are going to have expert insights at this point.

5. This coin may or may not be the same as the previous examples found. This is still speculation as they haven't been assembled for study.

the coin is on the way to PCGS at the moment.
  • bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    I can also tell you that the box is manufactured identically to all other brown boxes, inside and out. The presidential seal is a plastic injection, painted a gold color, nothing extraordinary or expensive. As you can see, the signature is embossed on the box. Everything else is identical inside; the plastic holder is the same as regular brown boxes, red plastic/felt insert is the same, brown box tray is the same.

As some of us discussed on the Ike Group forum, I'm really leaning towards some kind of hand out to government employees favored by the President's office. Now, who those government employees were, who knows - could be Congressmen, people associated with the re-election campaign, perhaps some sort of dinner as mentioned here - who knows, could have been anybody. Maybe they were given to other "secondary" people attending the January or July events with Maime Eisenhower that year. Sounds like Maime was given an outright medal at the event in January according to what we have briefly learned.

I would also suspect the number given out is quite small due to all that we do know, meaning this is the first one brought to public attention in 42 years and non of us in the Ike Group or other big proof Ike guys out there like James and Mitch have seen it. One would think more boxes would have surfaced long before now if the number made was over 100, or even 50.

Make no mistake: discovering the Type 1 reverse has been thrilling, but quite honestly, more of the fun right at the moment is unraveling the mystery of the box.

<< <i>Lee points out many of the correct variables. But we must understand:

4. Whose to say that Coin World even remembers anything about those coins? Just because they wrote an article doesn't mean that they are going to have expert insights at this point.

the coin is on the way to PCGS at the moment. >>

Huh?

Charles, the "experts" with regard to the two coins in the Coin World article are quoted. Coin World didn't just dream this stuff up yo know. JP Martin, a well respected variety and die attributer was quoted as well as James Wiles. These guys are the experts who have relayed their experiences with the three coins they've had contact with.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I can also tell you that the box is manufactured identically to all other brown boxes, inside and out. The presidential seal is a plastic injection, painted a gold color, nothing extraordinary or expensive. As you can see, the signature is embossed on the box. Everything else is identical inside; the plastic holder is the same as regular brown boxes, red plastic/felt insert is the same, brown box tray is the same.

As some of us discussed on the Ike Group forum, I'm really leaning towards some kind of hand out to government employees favored by the President's office. Now, who those government employees were, who knows - could be Congressmen, people associated with the re-election campaign, perhaps some sort of dinner as mentioned here - who knows, could have been anybody. Maybe they were given to other "secondary" people attending the January or July events with Maime Eisenhower that year. Sounds like Maime was given an outright medal at the event in January according to what we have briefly learned.

I would also suspect the number given out is quite small due to all that we do know, meaning this is the first one brought to public attention in 42 years and non of us in the Ike Group or other big proof Ike guys out there like James and Mitch have seen it. One would think more boxes would have surfaced long before now if the number made was over 100, or even 50.

Make no mistake: discovering the Type 1 reverse has been thrilling, but quite honestly, more of the fun right at the moment is unraveling the mystery of the box. >>

No doubt Andy.

Hopefully, something concrete will come of this. It's too bad the consignor has withdrawn from providing additional information since if he does have additional presentation boxes, it would be invaluable information to provide to the Numismatic Community.

Hopefully the publicity that your coin is receiving will bring more of these out into the public.

The name is LEE!
    Just curious- on the Ike Forum thread, there was never any possible reference to the 106- why was that ruled out to the point it that no opinions even suggested it as a possibility?

<< <i>Just curious- on the Ike Forum thread, there was never any possible reference to the 106- why was that ruled out to the point it that no opinions even suggested it as a possibility? >>

You mean the FS-106 or what?

The name is LEE!
    Yes- sorry for shortening it- thought people would know what I meant

• coinKat, check out Chapter 16 of our Ike Book against Andy's initial photos of the DDO and you'll see why FS-106 was not mentioned as a possibility. Not entirely black and white because there is probably a good sized Family of 106 siblings, but the differences are really stark.

Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE

<< <i>coinKat, check out Chapter 16 of our Ike Book against Andy's initial photos of the DDO and you'll see why FS-106 was not mentioned as a possibility. Not entirely black and white because there is probably a good sized Family of 106 siblings, but the differences are really stark.

Rob >>

Not to mention the fact the the FS-106 has some offset doubling while the FS-103 is closer to straight up and down.

Below is one from the FS-103 Family:

Below is an FS-106:

FS-103 has at least 4 other dies that are very similar and its one of the most commonly "misattributed" Eisenhower Doubled Die Obverse Varieties.

The name is LEE!
    thanks

• Lee, thanks! Agree. (With permission I had used Lee's photos of his FS-106 in my book, his example is in wonderful VEDS.)

The 106 also has about the strongest three--point notching on the corners of the W in WE on any Ike DDO.

Still, until Andy's Ike is scrutinized by someone in a position to formally authenticate the doubling (if it's known), or attribute the DDO as a First Reported (which is not unlikely, I'm not a doubled die nut, not at all, but just casually looking through Ike proofs I've come across a couple that became "First Reported's").

Attributing "First Reported" is THE most difficult attribution IMHO as this judgement requires a thorough and detailed visualization of all the possilble known doubled dies. Thomas Kalantzis is my resource whenever I think I might have a new doubled die: he not only has a "library" of almost all the cataloged Ike doubled dies, he has numerous examples he submitted to both Wiles and Wexler independently to double check. Tom lives Ike doubled dies 24/7.

Sorry to go on so long, I have no log in this fire, just felt moved to give Tom some recognition for his amazing dedication to an important branch of our hobby. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE

<< <i>Lee, thanks! Agree. (With permission I had used Lee's photos of his FS-106 in my book, his example is in wonderful VEDS.)

The 106 also has about the strongest three--point notching on the corners of the W in WE on any Ike DDO.

Still, until Andy's Ike is scrutinized by someone in a position to formally authenticate the doubling (if it's known), or attribute the DDO as a First Reported (which is not unlikely, I'm not a doubled die nut, not at all, but just casually looking through Ike proofs I've come across a couple that became "First Reported's").

Attributing "First Reported" is THE most difficult attribution IMHO as this judgement requires a thorough and detailed visualization of all the possilble known doubled dies. Thomas Kalantzis is my resource whenever I think I might have a new doubled die: he not only has a "library" of almost all the cataloged Ike doubled dies, he has numerous examples he submitted to both Wiles and Wexler independently to double check. Tom lives Ike doubled dies 24/7.

Sorry to go on so long, I have no log in this fire, just felt moved to give Tom some recognition for his amazing dedication to an important branch of our hobby. Rob >>

Well, All I can say is that James Wiles attributed the first 1971-S Silver Proof wiuth the Type 1 Reverse (RDV-001) back in 1998. The attributed coin also was a DDO-016 which has moderate doubling in the motto.

How Andy's coin could possibly be "First Reported" given this information is just mystifying. But then, the author of the report chooses to ignore James Wiles entry in the CONECA files for whatever reason's. This............bothers me.

Promote the Nixon Box all you want but understand that the coin is not the first and I expect will not be the last.

The name is LEE!
    Did anyone ever find the September 1971 issue of Coinage?

• bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How Andy's coin could possibly be "First Reported" given this information is just mystifying. But then, the author of the report chooses to ignore James Wiles entry in the CONECA files for whatever reason's. This............bothers me. Promote the Nixon Box all you want but understand that the coin is not the first and I expect will not be the last. >>

Settle down high-tension. Almost everything everyone is barking about is unknown or not proven. How about we lay out our facts thus far?

No one is calling this coin a first reported. I'm the owner, and I have never said that, period. It's the third coin with a Type 1 reverse seen by people posting here, and fourth reported. Could it be a first reported? Perhaps, but we won't know until we classify the exact obverse of this one and the other 3. It's likely they are all the same, but know one knows for certain at this time.

The fact that the first reported coin by James Wiles wasn't mentioned in the announcement in no way means it has been denied or ignored. We're truly sorry its omission in the writing may bother some of you. It doesn't bother the Ike Group. Moving on.

In a previous reply, the author was referencing Coin World themselves as not having anyone one on THEIR staff to recollect (with detailed numismatic precision) the 2007 coins. Clearly James Wiles and J.P. Martin were mentioned in their article as experts who had seen the other coins.

Reported coins #2 and #3 have been seen and held by multiple people posting to this thread.

There are other coins reported to us as being in existence. We're told there are 8 more in this type of box. Are they Type 1 reverses? That has not been confirmed. Do they have a DDO? That has not been confirmed. Do the other 8 coins really exist? That has not been confirmed. Are the obverse/reverse combinations identical on the first four reported coins? NO ONE CAN POSITIVELY CONFIRM - at least yet.

The DDO on my coin appears to be from the DDO-008 family, probably not the FS-103 itself, but one of the others which are almost identical for all intents and purposes. Again, not confirmed either way yet.

The box..., ahh the box. The box appears to be the first one publicized to date, as in no one questioned thus far has ever seen one. After some diligent digging by an Ike Group forum member, we have a possible lead on its origin. Is it in reference to this particular box? Again, looks promising , but no way to know for sure. Please reference the 11:53 - 12:03 entry

Let's focus on the target; let's solve the mystery people.

And no, to answer the latest question (and a good one),I haven't heard that anyone has found a copy of Coin Age yet.

Well, this seems to confirm what was found earlier on the US Mint web site. Seems there was no lunch, no dinner and the number of needed boxes would not be that many

BTW, good work tracking that down- nicely done

I wonder if the press were either given any or had the opportuntiy to purchase one. It also seems that the search could possibly be expanded to the Washington Post or LA Times to see if there is a story or better yet- pictures.

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    ...you'd think that someone would have a copy of the coin age issue referenced in this discussion. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine checked the entire 1971 volume of COINage. I told him what to look for, and there is nothing relevant to these brown sleeves with the Nixon imprint and medal. There was a picture of Nixon presenting a coin to Mamie Eisenhower that was in a presentation case other than this case.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Thank you CaptHenway

<< <i>A friend of mine checked the entire 1971 volume of COINage. I told him what to look for, and there is nothing relevant to these brown sleeves with the Nixon imprint and medal. There was a picture of Nixon presenting a coin to Mamie Eisenhower that was in a presentation case other than this case. >>

Would it be possible to get a scan of the Picture Tom?

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>A friend of mine checked the entire 1971 volume of COINage. I told him what to look for, and there is nothing relevant to these brown sleeves with the Nixon imprint and medal. There was a picture of Nixon presenting a coin to Mamie Eisenhower that was in a presentation case other than this case. >>

Would it be possible to get a scan of the Picture Tom? >>

Probably not. His issues are bound one year per volume, and he could not get it on a scanner.

Let me check with one other source.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    I visited the Ike Group forum and a picture of that coin reflects that PCGS graded that coin as a PR67CAM- It no longer resides in the original government holder

edited to add:

Congrats to the owner for identifying it and obtaining the grade

1imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file