Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I am finding it amusing that Favre seems to crop up in many lists so far of favorite players. image
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>The one dating models, not the one from Notre dame, do they play football there? >>

NOT VERY WELL
  • Options

Name: Joe Squires
    Married? Yes, 3 years
    Kids - None, but practicing
    NFL Team: Seahawks, are there any others?
    Favorite Players: Steve Largent, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice. All class acts
    Collecting: Largent, Montana and Rice player sets, 57, 84, 85 FB sets and HOF RC et. all

The wife and I are on a mission to have a photo of both of us in front of every NFL stadium wearing our Seahawk gear. So we take one away game a year and wrap a mini vacation around it. We realize we're going to have to pick up the pace, or ill be watching the last few in a wheelchair.

First year was Philly, monday night football. They retired Reggie Whites # that night, snowed 6" in 3 hours,. Hawks whooped em, I think 38-O. And yes, thats me using my Largent jersey as a ralley towel.

Second year was last year, in Denver. Sooo cold, i think it was 18 F when the game started. My beer froze in the cup holder. Seahawks spoiled Jay Cutlers debut, 24-22 I think. The pictures i have are too big, and i dont know how to shrink them to fit here, but I do have one of my wife with matt hasselbeck, the hawks were staying at the same hotel as us

This year, we finally picked a sunny game. Arizona, my cousin lives there, and i was going to try to have a beer with Pete Fletcher. Hawks lost, Hasselbeck and Alexander ran into each other and fumbled the ball on a game winning drive. Me wearing a Largent jersey, and using my other one as a ralley towel.

More pictures guys, they're a blast
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Been out on business for the past couple of weeks. Holy cow, it took me a half hour to catch up on this thread. My two cents. Leave the set as is. When cards are added VOTE. If you don't vote don't complain. My other thought is you must have at least a 1.0 rating of a set to have your vote counted. That may stop some of these schleps from adding a useless card.

OK here are my stats

Name: Troy Jilot
    Married? Yes, 7 years
    Kids - One girl Taylor - 5 1/2 years old
    NFL Team: Packers of course
    Favorite Players: Favre, Lynn Dickey, Gerry Ellis, James Lofton, John Jefferson and Ken Bowman
    Collecting: All Packer team sets from 1948 to present. Favre Basic set slabbed. Favre master set RAW. All of the All Time poisition sets and the HOF Rookie set.
  • Options
    Guess as the govenator Arnold says: IM BACK!!

Yes I bought the Casper and Shaw today - decided to come back with a bang. Dont know what is going on here. Seems that some are losing their faith in this set. May believe this to be self serving, but look at the TV ratings - Football is the baseball of this generation.

A regular season matchup in the NFL beats most baseball and basketball playoff ratings. For fun or for investment, selling in a time where interest rates have skyrocketed doesnt make sense. Its buy high - sell low (Im no genius - but that isnt a good way to make money). Stay disciplined and you will be pleased. Happy to be back. And I intend to defend my spot with vigor.

Name: Jon Isaacson
    Married? Yes, 9 years
    Kids - Two - boy (6), girl (4)
    NFL Team: Washington Redskins
    Favorite Players: John Riggins, Art Monk, Joe Theismann
    Collecting: Building on the #1 Rookie HOF set in Football. Come on people - come and get me!!! image
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes I bought the Casper and Shaw today >>

lets see some scans!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    HI EVERYONE,

JUST JOINED THE HOF REGISTRY YESTERDAY.
    I PROBABLY WON'T GET SERIOUS ABOUT THIS SET UNTIL I FINISH THE TWO SETS I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON -
    1977 TOPPS FOOTBALL AND 1969 TOPPS BASKETBALL.
    JUST WANTED TO BE PART OF THE THREAD.
    THERE ARE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS IN THIS THREAD THAT I HAVE HAD TRANSACTIONS WITH WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

THANKS,
    TOM
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes I bought the Casper and Shaw today >>

lets see some scans!! >>

Dave, they were on ebay..Check completed auctions they had nice big scans.

Jon, glad to see you back! Look forward to seeing what new monster cards you will add...Watch out for Marc..He's going to be entering the top 3 very shortly..lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Guys, does anyone know what a Dwight Stephenson rookie in PSA 10 would go for (or has gone for)?

I know that 9s hit from $30-40 usually, but I'm wondering if I should even hold out hope for a 10.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thank you sir!

Wow..$545...and only 2 exist. So, I guess I'll have to settle for a 9 for now. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys, does anyone know what a Dwight Stephenson rookie in PSA 10 would go for (or has gone for)?

I know that 9s hit from $30-40 usually, but I'm wondering if I should even hold out hope for a 10. >>

Arny,

I believe the PSA 10 Stephenson rc is a pop 2... the 1st graded 10 sold for several thousand.

Be happy w/ a 9 image

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I'll definitely be happy with a solid 9, I was just curious about a 10. image

It's going to be tough to put 10s together for the Stephenson set that I want. Only 2 10s for the rookie, only 2 10s for the '85, only 4 10s for the '86, only 1 10 for the '87 and 3 10s for the '88. Sheesh....might have to crack my own on those '87s and '88s (unopened stuff for '84-'86 is too expensize to 'hope' for a 10).
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Arny
    the pop report shows only 2 psa 0's.
    I know jon issacson bought one earlier this year....for nearly $3000

vcp shows only 2 sales
    4/11/07 $2605
    10/2/07 $545

Last year 9's were routinely going for 100+ and as the psa set guys and others get the card.....demand is dropping and I'm sure the supply is increasing.

I would guess the 545 was a good deal.....next one? I think that depends on joe squires who is doing the 1984 and rc hof sets sets .......and how much beer he had to drink the night before
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    By the way, I read about the fact that Brian Urlacher has an arthritic back and it's getting worse. Does he have enough at this point to make the Hall of Fame or is he going to fall short due to the this injury that could continue to deteriorate his game?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    And some people here thought I was wrong to say how silly the price to own that first Stephenson 10 was. I don't care how much money you have, to have something drop 75% of it's price within months of buying it can't be pleasant. Kinda like a couple of Hickerson rookies(made 2 in different submissions) I have in PSA 8 that no one wants to even touch no matter that the card is priced below any of the past sales in a year and a half.
  • Options
    ebay item 250178906992 closed item

Think this will cross to a 7?

Sorry horrid at links
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options

<< <i>...Kinda like a couple of Hickerson rookies(made 2 in different submissions) I have in PSA 8 that no one wants to even touch no matter that the card is priced below any of the past sales in a year and a half. >>

Hmmmm.... what's that price? I purchased a Hickerson PSA 8 in June of last year for $30. If you are pricing them below that, I would think you'd get a lot of touches image
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I just took a few hours to catch up too image

Name: Joe Tocco
    Location: Dwight, IL (little farming town about 70 miles south of Chicago)
    Married? Yes, 7 years
    Kids - 3 month old boy
    NFL Team: Browns
    Favorite Players: Marcus Allen
    Collecting: My only active projects are my raw ultra-complete Marcus Allen collection and the graded master and basic sets.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...Kinda like a couple of Hickerson rookies(made 2 in different submissions) I have in PSA 8 that no one wants to even touch no matter that the card is priced below any of the past sales in a year and a half. >>

Hmmmm.... what's that price? I purchased a Hickerson PSA 8 in June of last year for $30. If you are pricing them below that, I would think you'd get a lot of touches image >>

LOL..I think I paid $16 for my first Hickerson 8...Also grabbed a PSA 8 Charlie Sanders for $10, but both of those were before their HOF elections/nominations. I paid top dollar for the Hickerson 9 though.

Its all about timing really. Sometimes you hit and other times you miss, but without taking some swings you don't do either. For whatever reason, its a buyers market right now. If any of you have designs on getting to 100% on the HOF or Key Card sets NOW is the time to be grabbing those bargains. Many cards, particularly the modern ones, are selling at 104-week lows...lol..I picked up the majority of my collection during "buyer's markets". I wouldn't have ever reached 100% without the bargain buys. It's the only way I could compete with the big boys.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that Dutch Clark is RAZOR SHARP. I'd definitely take a shot on getting it into a PSA 7 holder. I think the centering's within 7 guidelines and the card is otherwise nicer than a 7. Good luck!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Solid 6, outside shot at a 7.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Don't look now, but Freddy T. needs just 67 yards to join the 10,000-yard club, and the All-Time Rushers set. Amazing he never played in a Pro Bowl. He's a lot of fun to watch. Just imagine where he'd be now if he hadn't been hurt so much earlier in his career.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    ok, congratulations to the 2 or 3 guys that picked up a Hickerson just before the price skyrocketed. I don't need to sell either card(getting rid of one of them to buy more cards would be nice), but the basis of my point which no one bothered to address, specifically about the Stephenson card, is how thin this market of cards are. After about 10 guys get the card in that grade they need, the card usually just dies in value and becomes an immediate loser.
  • Options
    Aint that the truth!

I can't even get $29.99 out of a PSA 7 Hickerson these days. No takers the last two weeks on the Bay.

Probably should look at getting rid of my PSA 8 1971 Sanders for a good price while I still can.
  • Options

<< <i>ok, congratulations to the 2 or 3 guys that picked up a Hickerson just before the price skyrocketed. I don't need to sell either card(getting rid of one of them to buy more cards would be nice), but the basis of my point which no one bothered to address, specifically about the Stephenson card, is how thin this market of cards are. After about 10 guys get the card in that grade they need, the card usually just dies in value and becomes an immediate loser. >>

Well, I think that may be stretching it a bit...Take the Hickerson for example. Absolute worst case, its still a $200 card. That's 10X what the card was worth prior to his election. Same goes for Sanders and Wehrli.

Where I will agree with you , and it has been said many times before in this thread, is that we are currently in a buyers market. Its not just the HOFers either. IMO, its alot like the current housing market. Although it SEEMS like we are hitting bottom, in fact if you compare prices today vs. 2-3 years ago, we are still higher right now. But the booming market of the past year or 2 did a couple of things. One, it brought out alot of big money spenders. Many of which either have most of the cards, or are no longer collecting. Two, it caused guys who were seeing the super high prices to start submitting many of the then "low pop" cards to PSA in hopes of hitting the jackpot. The pops on PSA 9/10 of most if not all of the modern stuff has skyrocketed. Lastly, like the housing market it created a false sense of worth. Everyone started overvaluing their own cards based on the highest sell prices. I'm guilty of that as myself, I mean its human nature really...

If you look at specifically the HOF RC set, you've got 74 collectors. How many of those under 90% are serious/hardcore after the set? Maybe 3 or 4 right now? But that changes constantly. As quickly as one guy sells off and gets out of the set, you'll have another that comes in and really wants to complete it in high grade.

You can let the downswing scare you, sell off, take a loss and never look back. Personally, I've been collecting this set for 8+ years now, and this isn't the first or second or even third slow market I've seen. Like I said, these are the times which in the past, I was a strong buyer and in the long run it saved me a ton of money. But for me lately, just not much on that I need. The ultra-rare stuff hasn't been on the market very much because smart collectors know when to hold em.

The PSA 10 Stephenson example is not a good one. The POP 1 Stephenson sale was an anaomoly, which does happen from time to time but it's not something you can base other sales on or use to determine true value. It's ebay, you never know know what you'll get when you let the bidders set the price.

Jason
  • Options
    Jason it has been a buyers market every year that i have collected graded cards at this time of year ,There always seems to be a downside between Sep and Jan.

Great time to buy not just hof rc

On another note any of you pixal count guys take a look at that Chicle i get 28 on it

IT WILL GO IN FOR A REGRADE ASKING FOR A 7 NQ I guess i will have to use the 5 day at 30 bucks but worth the gamble.

• Options

<< <i>Jason it has been a buyers market every year that i have collected graded cards at this time of year ,There always seems to be a downside between Sep and Jan.

Great time to buy not just hof rc

On another note any of you pixal count guys take a look at that Chicle i get 28 on it

IT WILL GO IN FOR A REGRADE ASKING FOR A 7 NQ I guess i will have to use the 5 day at 30 bucks but worth the gamble. >>

BINGO....Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner...lol

I think this year's downside is scaring a few because the upswing that preceded it was so large. But every year we say the same thing only to watch the prices go even higher the following upswing.

Collect what you like and you'll always be a winner...image

Jason
  • Options
    Guys, I don't think the market is bad, just not as profitable as the past couple years.

I typically buy ungraded football cards all spring and summer for grading and sale during football season. This has been profitable enough to get me into the top ten in the set at a fraction of the price some of the people ahead of me have paid. If I had the money it sure would be a lot easier to buy the set, but where would the fun be in that. I am consantly upgrading, trying to do 1 card a week, to get finished at 7.00.

Football is still way undervalued compared to Baseball or Basketball and is the national sport! Sounds like the place to be to me!
  • Options
    Collect what you like and you'll always be a winner...

I've always said this and live by this rule. I have never been disappointed.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>Don't look now, but Freddy T. needs just 67 yards to join the 10,000-yard club, and the All-Time Rushers set. Amazing he never played in a Pro Bowl. He's a lot of fun to watch. Just imagine where he'd be now if he hadn't been hurt so much earlier in his career. >>

Speaking of Freddy T., I've said many times, he's the most underrated RB in the NFL, probably in the last 20 years. I'm a Jaguars fan (born and raised in Jax) and I've watched every single game of Taylor's 119 game career. He's been a Pro Bowl alternate a few times, but never got the call. If he played for a big market team, there is no doubt in my mind he would have 3-4 Pro Bowls by now. As it stands, he would need 14,000+ to even get consideration for the HOF with no Pro Bowls. Look at some of his seasons though:

1998- 1,644 yards from scrimmage, 17 TDs....His rookie season, and rookie RBs RARELY get a Pro Bowl spot. But he was arguably better than 2 guys that DID make the Pro Bowl in 1998.

Eddie George- 1,604 YFS, 6 TDs made it...
    Curtis Martin- 1,652 TFS, 9 TDs made it...

Both already were established RBs at that point though...

2000- Taylor: 1,639 YFS, 14 TDs..Doesnt get in..Instead:

Corey Dillon- 1,593 YFS, 7 TDs...

2002- Taylor: 1,722 YFS, 8 TDs...

There were 3 other AFC RBs in 2002 with 2000+ YFS or better..Just tough competition for the 3 AFC slots..Taylor was a Alternate in 2002, but none of the RBs bowed out of playing in the Pro Bowl....

2003- Taylor: 1,942 YFS, 7 TDs

Clinton Portis gets in with 1,905 YFS, 14 TDs...

2004- Taylor: 1,509 YFS, 3 TDs

Bettis gets the spot with 987 YFS, 13 TDs

Obviously the low TD total hurt him, but he was being pulled from goal line situations for a 260 lb RB/FB Greg Jones...Jags only had 6 rushing TDs that entire season...

Now that he's probably sharing carries with MJD the rest of his career, he'll probably never get to the Pro Bowl. He will however extend his career a few more years and will push his rushing totals into the 12,000+ range...If he gets that high and beyond, it will make an interesting case when he comes up fro induction...

If you haven't watched any of his highlights from over the years, he's a must watch...

Jason
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>And some people here thought I was wrong to say how silly the price to own that first Stephenson 10 was. I don't care how much money you have, to have something drop 75% of it's price within months of buying it can't be pleasant. Kinda like a couple of Hickerson rookies(made 2 in different submissions) I have in PSA 8 that no one wants to even touch no matter that the card is priced below any of the past sales in a year and a half. >>

Just curious, why don't you try auctioning your Hickerson 8 and start it at $0.99? You'll have lot's of bidders and watchers on it then. Starting some cards too high scares off buyers. Although I've done that myself on many cards too.

If you're into your card for very little (raw card buy), why not give it a try. You might be surprised at the price you get on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I buy HOF'ers and other singles for sets I'm working on and I don't see the market being that soft or low. I see strong prices on many cards I'm looking to buy. Although maybe I'm getting down to needing some of the lower pop cards in sets too and that's what I'm seeing.

For example, I just saw a '66 Phily George Andrie 8 sell for $280 tonight. Cowboy rookie card, low pop, but $280??!! He's hardly a HOF'er or even considered a semi-star, yet that's a very strong price for that card. The market seems strong to me.

Last week DSLS sold a John Mackey RC in PSA 8 for over $200. Another strong price and not a low pop card either.

Sure there's pockets of deals and bargains mixed in, but I don't see prices down even 50% from where they were a few years ago. On modern cards I'm sure it's a different story and that makes sense since the pops are rising quickly on those cards. Supply will outstrip demand every time. But I don't see that in vintage very much.

just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    I just picked this Adrian Peterson Topps Chrome RC for the opening bid of 17.99. This seems like a good deal to me, especially the way his career has started. I'm hoping this is the card that will be added to the HOF RC set in about 20 years...image

I assume this is the base TC rookie that would be considered?

Link

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I just picked this Adrian Peterson Topps Chrome RC for the opening bid of 17.99. This seems like a good deal to me, especially the way his career has started. I'm hoping this is the card that will be added to the HOF RC set in about 20 years...image

I assume this is the base TC rookie that would be considered?

Link

dave >>

Seems strange that such a low dollar card would be Peterson's best, most valuable rookie that meets the HOF RC/Key Card set standards (no autos, no inserts, etc)...Has anyone actually researched this or just picking Topps Chrome because it is pretty??lol

Jason

• Options
    No research...Just bought it on a whim.....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>No research...Just bought it on a whim..... >>

We really need to have some one go hardcore on the 2001-2007 product and at least let us know which cards WON'T qualify. That will at least narrow our options/choices and we will know what cards we will get to vote on down the road...I know PSA isn't going to do it, Dave you up for the challenge???lolol

I tried about a year and a half ago and lasted about a day before throwing my hands up in disgust. The toughest ones to figure out are the individually numbered ones. Some years, there are like 10 different Fleer products alone and each has a different individual numbering which affects scarcity and price...There is no "set" brand that you can say all Toops Chrome for 2002 or all SP Authentic for 2006. They are different every year and some players have different "most valuable" cards within any given year.

Going to be a pain in the arse down the road, I can just see the fireworks now...image

Jason
  • Options
    I agree 100%.. It will be very difficult to figure these out. I'm kinda partial to the Topps Chrome just for sheer beauty. However, Like you mentioned, It would be hard to consider the Peterson at $20 to be the most desireable. Alot of the more recent SP authentics have auto and what not...

I did however just pick up an 03 SP bob sanders that is #ed to 1250 or so and has no auto, patches, etc.... It is on the way to psa today.

BTW....I ended up cracking out that SGC 92 Bob Brown and it is also on the way to PSA..... Wish me luck

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    the chrome is probably a good bet as most of the premium product these days are either auto'd RC's or low numbered.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>We really need to have some one go hardcore on the 2001-2007 product and at least let us know which cards WON'T qualify. That will at least narrow our options/choices and we will know what cards we will get to vote on down the road...I know PSA isn't going to do it, Dave you up for the challenge???lolol

I tried about a year and a half ago and lasted about a day before throwing my hands up in disgust. The toughest ones to figure out are the individually numbered ones. Some years, there are like 10 different Fleer products alone and each has a different individual numbering which affects scarcity and price...There is no "set" brand that you can say all Toops Chrome for 2002 or all SP Authentic for 2006. They are different every year and some players have different "most valuable" cards within any given year.

Going to be a pain in the arse down the road, I can just see the fireworks now...

Jason >>

These are exactly the reasons why I thought it would be a good idea to start a new "official thread" in which we can collectively make some headway, specifically in regard to cards issued 2001+. This will no doubt be a pain in the arse as mentioned, but I figure we gotta start somewhere. That's why I thought it would be best to at first just get a player list going, and then tackle the task of narrowing down the cards. I for one am not up on the newer stuff, as I suspect is the case for most of us. Maybe FabFrank can provide some insight. He seems to have a great handle on some of the newer stuff, at least the SPs. I don't mind volunteering to organize some of our thoughts once the ball gets rolling...
  • Options

<< <i>I agree 100%.. It will be very difficult to figure these out. I'm kinda partial to the Topps Chrome just for sheer beauty. However, Like you mentioned, It would be hard to consider the Peterson at $20 to be the most desireable. Alot of the more recent SP authentics have auto and what not...

I did however just pick up an 03 SP bob sanders that is #ed to 1250 or so and has no auto, patches, etc.... It is on the way to psa today.

BTW....I ended up cracking out that SGC 92 Bob Brown and it is also on the way to PSA..... Wish me luck

Dave >>

Good luck! Its about time for the first PSA 9 Brown to come into existence. Probably a long shot, but you just never know with PSA...Cracking was your best option though, 100%. I'd say very slim chance it would come back less than a PSA 8...

Jason
  • Options
    Guys,

I took a quick look at the Beckett site and here is what I came up with for Peterson rookies

None of the autograph or patch cards are on this list.

Also some of his rookies, I guess were too new to have prices yet. Finest,Bowman ,Upper Deck Trilogy

There are cards on this list that I am not familiar with so some may be patch cards

Topps............................................#301 RC ............$6
    Topps Crome.................................#TC181 RC..........$25
    Topps draft picks and prospects....#135 RC...............$10
    Topps total.....................................#456 RC..............$6
    Topps TX Exclusive..........................#104 RC..............$25 (#ed/399)
    Ultra...............................................#205 L13 RC.........$40 (what is L13 RC ???)
    Upper Deck.....................................#279 RC..............$20
    Upper Deck 1st Edition....................#104 RC..............$6
    Absolute Memorabilia.......................#256 RPM RC......$40 (IS this a patch card??)
    Artifacts...........................................#152 RC..............$25 (never even heard of this brand!)
    Donruss Classic...............................#159 RC..............$40 (#ed/599)
    Donruss Elite...................................#105 RC...............$50 (IS this the one !!!!)
    Playoff Prestige...............................#155 RC................$12
    Score...............................................#341 RC................$5
    Select..............................................#341 RC................$25

I suppose there will be a lot more rookies than this by the time the season is over!?!?

for what its worth,

Gabbs
  • Options

<< <i>
    These are exactly the reasons why I thought it would be a good idea to start a new "official thread" in which we can collectively make some headway, specifically in regard to cards issued 2001+. This will no doubt be a pain in the arse as mentioned, but I figure we gotta start somewhere. That's why I thought it would be best to at first just get a player list going, and then tackle the task of narrowing down the cards. I for one am not up on the newer stuff, as I suspect is the case for most of us. Maybe FabFrank can provide some insight. He seems to have a great handle on some of the newer stuff, at least the SPs. I don't mind volunteering to organize some of our thoughts once the ball gets rolling... >>

If we can just get a list of disqualified cards (card with autos/jersey, inserts, etc) I would be fine with that...PSA is going to poll us when multiple possibles are involved. Voting results will decide which actual card is used. At least if we know which few cards are possibles we can each make our best guess as to what the masses will vote for.

Still waiting on the outcome of the Terrell Owens vote for the WR set...If its anything other than 1996 SP, you can take all of our previous beliefs and thoughts and toss them out the window. That card is so far and away the clear choice there shouldnt have even been a vote.

When Fred Taylor's addition comes up in a week or 2, we are probably looking at 50 possible cards to vote for...All it will take is a couple of people choosing his NON- SP Authentic rookie and again, mass confusion will ensue...

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Guys,

I took a quick look at the Beckett site and here is what I came up with for Peterson rookies

None of the autograph or patch cards are on this list.

Also some of his rookies, I guess were too new to have prices yet. Finest,Bowman ,Upper Deck Trilogy

There are cards on this list that I am not familiar with so some may be patch cards

Topps............................................#301 RC ............$6
    Topps Crome.................................#TC181 RC..........$25
    Topps draft picks and prospects....#135 RC...............$10
    Topps total.....................................#456 RC..............$6
    Topps TX Exclusive..........................#104 RC..............$25 (#ed/399)
    Ultra...............................................#205 L13 RC.........$40 (what is L13 RC ???)
    Upper Deck.....................................#279 RC..............$20
    Upper Deck 1st Edition....................#104 RC..............$6
    Absolute Memorabilia.......................#256 RPM RC......$40 (IS this a patch card??)
    Artifacts...........................................#152 RC..............$25 (never even heard of this brand!)
    Donruss Classic...............................#159 RC..............$40 (#ed/599)
    Donruss Elite...................................#105 RC...............$50 (IS this the one !!!!)
    Playoff Prestige...............................#155 RC................$12
    Score...............................................#341 RC................$5
    Select..............................................#341 RC................$25

I suppose there will be a lot more rookies than this by the time the season is over!?!?

for what its worth,

Gabbs >>

Thanks Gabbs, that's somewhat what I would be looking for...The inherent problem with Beckett checklists is that they do not specify what each card is. Meaning, some of those above are probably jersey cards or numbered very low but Beckett checklist isn't specific enough...How do you figure out which is which? Ebay listings don't always tell you either...

Its madness I tell ya, MADNESS!
    Jason
  • Options
    Jason,

I agree with you!

I went to a show last weekend determined to find some of the newer cards
    I need for the modern possible HOF set and all I could see was a bunch of
    stuff shining at me image

I couldnt even focus on what I even needed!!

Then I resorted to handing the dealers a list of cards I was
    looking for, and the of course the prices they wanted went way up !!!

As far as the beckett site goes, I just ruled out any rookie card that had
    a "RC JSY" or "RC AU" designation. I also noted any card that was #ed

Gabbs

• Options
    Got this checklist from the web. Shows some difference from the Beckett listings. Donruss Elite for example is also numbered to 599..

Absolute Memorabilia # 256 - jersey card #'d to 849
    Artifacts # 152 - SP
    Donruss Classics # 159 - #'d to 599
    Donruss Elite # 105 - #'d to 599
    Donruss Threads # 256 - autographed, #'d to 120
    Playoff Prestige # 155
    Score # 341
    Select # 341 - #'d to 599
    SPx # 218 - autographed jersey card #'d to 299
    Topps # 301
    Topps Chrome # TC181
    Topps Draft Picks and Prospects # 135
    Topps Total # 456
    Topps TX Exclusive # 104 - #'d to 399
    Ultra # 205
    Upper Deck # 279
    Upper Deck First Edition # 104
    Upper Deck Premier # 131 - autographed jersey card #'d to 55
  • Options
    I think the Ultra might actually be our card. The L13 stands for Lucky 13 which is a rookie subset within the base set. They are not individually numbered.

Base Cards and Parallels
    There's something to be said for not messing with tradition, and 2007 Ultra SE stays true to the brand's heritage. The base set kicks off with 200 NFL veterans sporting a classic design. Bold action photos are again in evidence, with only the Ultra logo in the upper right corner and the player's last name in cursive and full player and team info in smaller print at the bottom.

A total of 100 rookies round out the set. Cards 214 through 300 are regular rookie cards found one per pack, and they share the same basic design as the veteran except the photos are set against a red, computer-generated background.

The first 13 rookies are part of a popular subset from years past, Lucky 13. Unlike some previous Ultra sets, the Lucky 13 cards are not numbered, but they are short-printed compared to the other rookies, appearing at a rate of one in five packs. This year's Lucky 13 players are:

201 - JaMarcus Russell
    202 - Brady Quinn
    203 - Calvin Johnson
    204 - Joe Thomas
    205 - Adrian Peterson
    206 - Marshawn Lynch
    207 - Ted Ginn Jr.
    208 - Leon Hall
    209 - Dwayne Bowe
    210 - Steve Smith
    211 - Robert Meachem
    212 - LaRon Landry
    213 - Dwayne Jarrett
  • Options
    For someone who is not attuned to modern cards, you're doing a pretty good job Jasonimage

My thoughts on this are 2 fold. It seems you have to identify the player first, and than scour that players RC's to see which one would qualify for the HOF set. The second is that you really have to wait till the end of season when all the products have been issued. SP Authentic (my card of choiceimage) , comes out in early to mid Dec. If card value is going to be a criteria, it's necessary to wait.

I think with the future HOF set that was started, we are half-way there to determine which cards would qualify. The one note I would add when bringing a card and player up for vote is too include the cards Beckett value. I don't know if this would add or clear up the confusion, but it is just a suggestion.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I'm bias because I'm a Topps Chrome guy, but...

Ultra L13 feature college pictures of the players. Also, I think Beckett is off on the valuation at this point because L13 in previous years were much rarer and serialized. I don't see them holding value.

Just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    We went with the Topps Chrome on the NFL Offensive ROY set for Adrian Peterson. The rest were numbered or with college pictures, etc.

Topps Chrome also is what we've been using since the 2002 cards. Although they are 'shiny' cards, they are nice to look at.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards