Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    For those that missed it, here's a link to some HOF and Future HOF cards I just got back from PSA. PSA Submission

I have Larry Allen, Elam, Roaf, John Randle, Randall McDaniel, Bettis & Bruce Mathews among others.

I also have a PSA 9 Lynch, PSA 9 Stephenson and PSA 5 Rich Jackson if anyone is interested.

These will be getting scanned and listed in my ebay store over this next week, whatever is left that is.

-Josh
  • Options
    Josh:
    email sent
    David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Here's a quote that I found about the injured center, Tom Nalen.

"Tom, I believe, is the best center to ever play the game," Shanahan said of the 14-year veteran. "That's what I believe."

Is he a Hall of Fame candidate? If Mr Shanahan considers him the best center to ever play the game, wouldn't there be some talk about him being a Hall of Fame candidate somewhere after 14 seasons?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a quote that I found about the injured center, Tom Nalen.

"Tom, I believe, is the best center to ever play the game," Shanahan said of the 14-year veteran. "That's what I believe."

Is he a Hall of Fame candidate? If Mr Shanahan considers him the best center to ever play the game, wouldn't there be some talk about him being a Hall of Fame candidate somewhere after 14 seasons? >>

5 Pro Bowls in 14 years (including this year) isn't very HOF-like. I do think that players on Denver's OL in recent years are underrated. After all, we always hear about the 1,000-yard rushers and how good the OL is, but rarely about the players that comprise it. The fact that the Broncos' offensive linemen did not speak to the media for years for who knows what reason does not work in their favor either. All of that said, I'd have to believe Nalen has zero shot at the Hall.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I will vote Vinny in before anyone Shanahan wants in.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a quote that I found about the injured center, Tom Nalen.

Is he a Hall of Fame candidate? If Mr Shanahan considers him the best center to ever play the game, wouldn't there be some talk about him being a Hall of Fame candidate somewhere after 14 seasons? >>

Don't all coaches think their players are the best ever??lol

He might get some consideration, but I think he's a long shot. You look at the other offensive linemen who were better that are not yet in. Even at Center, Dermontti Dawson was a beast. Easily considered the best of his era. Here are the Centers chosen as THE best Center (1st Team All-Pro) in the league more than one time over the last 20 seasons:

Dermontti Dawson- 6 times
    Kevin Mawae- 3 times
    Jay Hilgenberg- 2 times
    Kent Hull- 2 times
    Tom Nalen- 2 times

And based on what I've seen from these guys on the field, I think this is pretty accurate. I would put both Dawson and Mawae in the HOF before Nalen, but Nalen would probably be third in line. Dawson WILL get in eventually, but the fact that he was so dominant yet still finding it tough to make it into the HOF shows you how tough it is for interior linemen to get in. Mawae is probably a longshot as well, and Nalen would be way down the line, and very unlikely IMO. I think the description of "Hall of Famer" or "Greatest ever" is thrown around much to easily when players start coming to the end of their career or retire. Just because a guy had a good or better than average career, doesn't make them a HOFer.

I'd also want to hear a few of the HOF voters throw out "Greatest ever" rather than the guys long-time coach to give it any credability. If Shanahan was a voter, I'm sure there would be ALOT more Broncos, specifically guys who played for him, in the HOF than just the current count of ONE (John Elway)...

Just my opinion of course, I'm not a voter either..lol
    Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I really like Mawae. I thought he had a very good year last year but he didn't make the pro bowl. Pro bowls are so subjective for OL players, it's hard for me to put stock in how great they are based on the number of pro bowls but I guess there isn't any other way to do it. Even though he is 36 he doesn't show any signs of not playing for a few more years.

I do have both an extra Mawae and Nalen RC in PSA 10 if anyone wants to trade for them.

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    image 2000 post's in 10 months.. Thats amazing..image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I really like Mawae. I thought he had a very good year last year but he didn't make the pro bowl. Pro bowls are so subjective for OL players, it's hard for me to put stock in how great they are based on the number of pro bowls but I guess there isn't any other way to do it. Even though he is 36 he doesn't show any signs of not playing for a few more years.

I do have both an extra Mawae and Nalen RC in PSA 10 if anyone wants to trade for them. >>

I think Pro Bowls are subjective for ALL players..I mean anytime fans get to vote, you aren't going to always get the best, but rather the most popular. I like the All-Pro voting because #1, they only choose a first team and a 2nd team, while the Pro Bowl can have as many as 8-10 players in it at the same position. Also, the voting is more aligned with the HOF voting, in that sportswriters who actually cover the NFL do the voting. I'm sure they can sometimes play favorites as well, but I think they would do it less than the players, coaches or fans would do.

1st team all-pro means you were THE best player at the position for that season according to AP sportswriters. Much more accurate assessment IMO. I think Mawae is still playing at a high level and could very well make the Pro Bowl this year, but probably not The #1 Center in the game any more. He was that for 3 season though and that says alot.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Hey Jason, do you know of a website that lists all of the all-pro selections for each year? Thanks.
  • Options
    This one is pretty accurate (but not 100%)

Unofficial 1st Team All-Pros

I tend to go with the AP All=Pro selections as the gospel, since they have been around the longest. Other organizations/publications (Pro Football Weekly, Sporting News, etc) also choose All=Pro/All=NFL teams, but the AP teams are generally accepted as the most viable.

If you want the official lists, you'll have to purchase a Pro Football Encyclopedia. Its like 1500 pages and has ALL of the All=Pro team selections since like 1920.

Jason
  • Options
    Man, and I thought the Leroy Kelly 8 went for a lot! HO LEE CRAP! imageimageimage

Charlie Sanders 8
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I think that the Pro Bowl AND All Pro teams are important in a discussion about potential HOF candidates. I too would vote Dawson and even Mawae in ahead of Nalen, but he seems to have an outside shot. I mean, the 1000 yd rushers didn't do it without some help on the OL. Those are very big numbers year after year and the noteriety is not necessarily there. One of those no-name O-lines, I guess.

Oh well, just thought it was interesting to discuss.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>I think that the Pro Bowl AND All Pro teams are important in a discussion about potential HOF candidates. I too would vote Dawson and even Mawae in ahead of Nalen, but he seems to have an outside shot. I mean, the 1000 yd rushers didn't do it without some help on the OL. Those are very big numbers year after year and the noteriety is not necessarily there. One of those no-name O-lines, I guess.

Oh well, just thought it was interesting to discuss. >>

The success of the Broncos O-Line, much like the success of the RBs is 75% scheme. They run the zone blocking and they find guys who fit into the system. These same guys would not likely be as good playing for another team or in another system. Gary Zimmerman was an exception as he was dominant before he ever played for the Broncos.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>This one is pretty accurate (but not 100%)

Unofficial 1st Team All-Pros

I tend to go with the AP All=Pro selections as the gospel, since they have been around the longest. Other organizations/publications (Pro Football Weekly, Sporting News, etc) also choose All=Pro/All=NFL teams, but the AP teams are generally accepted as the most viable.

If you want the official lists, you'll have to purchase a Pro Football Encyclopedia. Its like 1500 pages and has ALL of the All=Pro team selections since like 1920.

Jason >>

Thanks Jason. Is that the correct URL? It doesn't seem to work for me. Also, is the Encyclopedia you are talking about published by ESPN?
  • Options
    Looks like we are at a standstill.... Only 1 set updated in the top 20...

HOF SET

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I noticed that too Dave. Anyone got any cards coming?

I have a 77 Dave Casper psa 9 and a 74 Joey DeL psa 9, then Im outta tricks

joe
  • Options
    Just waiting forever on grades here!

Sound familar to anyone?
  • Options
    I've got a sub out that could be interesting.

Its got a campbell rookie in it that has a %10 chance of a 10

Also a few other rookies like Charlie Sanders (probably 7)

Gabbs
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭✭
    How is my buddy the portland card blazer doing ?? Adding the 77 casper 9 to your already toooo big collection yet?? I needed it for my all time raiders set boo hoo.
    IMO pro bowls should come 2nd to all=pro. If that is not the case then what are the magical numbers one needs to hit to be a hof'er?
    At 9 PB then why is Hanburger not in? Is 6 good enough for a lineman? 8 a shoo-in ?
    Has anyone else noticed a lack of scare pop cards on ebay lately....and low prices realized on some RC's of hofers. A few scarcer cards like
    a jim brown and hornung rc's went for big money.
    Andy.....I didn't bid on the 67 kelly...I knew my best friend in the whole world in Oregon needed the card.....so I thought I would be a nice guy and not bid.....but the sanders...yikes!!!! I agree is that insane???? I got mine from you for only a few dollars less....so I'm feeling a little better now. jay
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey HOF RC guys,

I was thinking about putting my 1933 Sports Kings #4 Red Grange PSA 6 up on eBay next week. So if any of you guys need it, I'd much rather sell it to one of you. Feel free to PM or e-mail me an offer.

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Alright boys and girls...

My future HOF Modern and Senior sets are for sale. My HOF set probably will be soon as well. I've updated and retired the Modern Set, I'm working on getting a 55 Bowman Billy Wilson again so I can finish it off and retire that set as well, but that may not happen. (Getting it to 100% that is)

I'm not going to give away the cards in this set, but reasonable offers will be considered before I toss them on ebay. The PSA 10 Larry Allen has been sold, I do have a 9 available however.

Shoot me a pm if interested in anything and I'll work on getting you a price.

-Josh
  • Options
    WHY??????????? Everyone is bailing. You have many cards I am interested in but money is a little tight right now with the new baby..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Wow Josh, hope everything is alright. Sure seemed that you were one of the big guys in keeping the HOF cards going and thriving. What are you moving onto in your collecting?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Well, that's too bad Josh. I hope you at least stick around on the HOF RC set..But hey, such is life, things change, people change...

For those of us who have been part of the HOF RC set since day one, we've seen guys come and go. I mean that's part of the hobby, many many collectors complete a goal and then move on to another one. It's what keeps it alive. While we have been losing some of the top shelf guys lately that I honestly thought were in it for the long haul, you look at the set and it's still growing. Currently at an all time high of 72 collectors!

That being said, I haven't seen any new big spenders jumping in over the past few months. It is definitely a buyers market right now, and that's why you haven't been seeing many of the low pop, high dollar type cards coming up for auction. Many cards are at "52 week" lows on ebay. Alot of that has to do with increasing pops on some of the more modern cards, but it's also the fact that most of the new collectors of this set are not going all out for cards. But as the PSA 8 1971 Charlie Sanders or the 1957 PSA 8 Bart Starr's and Hornung's that have been on recently shows, the competition for the real tough ones is still pretty strong.

Like I said, this is nothing new really...I got many of the cards in my collection during past buyers markets. For anyone in it for the long term, this is the time to pick up cards cheaper than you could a year ago. Next year this time you'll be happy you did.

Jason
  • Options
    I'm going to focus on some other things. I love the HOF set, and I haven't decided what I'm going to do with that one yet. I would like to finish it before bailing but I may just sell it off. I've got a few options, I've thought about selling off the stuff that isn't in as high of a grade as I would like and keeping the rest, I've thought about selling it all, I've thought about keeping the tougher cards or the ones that are higher grade or more valuable that I have little into or had graded myself. I'll probably decide this weekend. I've been thinking about bailing on the future HOF sets for quite some time now, this wasn't a decision I just thought about last night and decided on.

At any rate, the new baby is causing me to rethink my financial situation a lot and my perspective and life goals are changing. Nothing too exciting to talk about. image I wish there was some great story behind, like my grandma got busted on her way back into the country with some illegal hash brownies and I need to raise bail money or that I was going overseas to increase the goat population in the Himalayas... but alas, it is not that dramatic.

I have been part of this set for more than two years, and to be honest, it, and other sets, have consumed far too much of my time and in some cases, far too much of my resources. I have enjoyed nearly every minute of it, but it's time to step back and take a fresh look at things. People do come and go, some even leave and come back as strong as ever (Marc) and others just leave and you never see or hear from them again. I do not expect that to be the case with me.

Some of you probably know that I left my moderator position over at Sports Card Forum about a year ago (Halloween of last year to be exact) because I didn't have the time, I couldn't deal with the little kids on there, there was no vintage, almost no PSA graded material and little to no vintage. I had quite a nice modern collection of autos and patches and rookies and what not but it got boring to me and things started happening and started bothering me more and more and everything sort of came to a head and I sold it all in Chicago last year. I refocused most of that money on my assorted key card and HOF sets. I pretty much lost my a$$ on the team and other key card sets, the HOF set has been the polar opposite.

Anyways, I'll still be around, I probably won't be grading much anymore, my membership is about to expire and I just had my last hurrah with that 600 card order I did. I've got about 550 cards to put in my ebay store as it is. No way I'd put my other Future HOF or my HOF cards on ebay before offering them here first.

-Josh
  • Options

Josh
    Is this the reason your selling your cards? image

joe
  • Options
    Ha! No, I am looking at a Sony 52" XBR4 LCD or the Pioneer 5010FD Plasma though. image
    I'll be buying one of those with the proceeds from my ebay store. tvcity.tv is a fantastic site and is so much cheaper than the local brick and mortar places.

The TV will be nice, but that is not the reason I'm selling. Nice try though. lol
  • Options

<< <i>People do come and go, some even leave and come back as strong as ever (Marc) and others just leave and you never see or hear from them again. I do not expect that to be the case with me.

-Josh >>

Just for the record, I never really left. I've just been lurking at #36.

It really is true - Out of sight, out of mind.

Marc.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I'm buying!

Anyone have a nicely centered 1963 Fleer Lance Alworth rookie PSA 9 for sale?

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Josh,

PM sent.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Here's some prices. All are delivered prices, no extra shipping. A couple are pending and I have 9 PM's to respond to, so some of these may be gone after I go through them.
    SENIOR HOF Grade Pop Higher
    53 1948 LEAF CHARLIE CONERLY 4 13 27 $155
    8 1950 BOWMAN MAC SPEEDIE 6 16 53 $40
    36 1955 BOWMAN DICK STANFEL 8 34 2 $55 SOLD
    81 1955 BOWMAN BILLY WILSON 7 20 18 $75
    15 1957 TOPPS JACK BUTLER 8OC 25 84 $20
    36 1959 TOPPS GENE LIPSCOMB 8 49 12 SOLD
    103 1959 TOPPS ALEX KARRAS 7 81 138 $30
    116 1959 TOPPS JERRY KRAMER 8 125 20 $60 SOLD
    202 1961 FLEER JOHNNY ROBINSON 8 27 18 SOLD
    93 1964 TOPPS ED BUDDE 7 13 27 $45 SOLD
    108 1964 TOPPS JIM TYRER 7 10 9 $50 SOLD
    160 1965 PHILADELPHIA PAT FISCHER 7 13 40 $30
    58 1966 PHILADELPHIA BOB HAYES 6 21 67 $60
    59 1966 PHILADELPHIA CHUCK HOWLEY 6 12 29 $20
    75 1966 TOPPS OTIS TAYLOR 8 61 7 $70
    7 1967 PHILADELPHIA TOMMY NOBIS 6 12 44 $20
    54 1967 PHILADELPHIA LEE ROY JORDAN 8 70 13 $50
    80 1967 PHILADELPHIA DAVE ROBINSON 8 34 9 $75
    183 1967 PHILADELPHIA CHRIS HANBURGER 7 15 14 $30
    163 1968 TOPPS ANDY RUSSELL 8 34 11 SOLD
    173 1968 TOPPS FLOYD LITTLE 7 22 37 $20
    95 1970 TOPPS RICH JACKSON 7 16 30 $20
    156 1970 TOPPS CLAUDE HUMPHREY 8 32 7 $40
    233 1971 TOPPS LEMAR PARRISH 7 13 20 $30 SOLD
    101 1972 TOPPS L.C. GREENWOOD 8 154 107 $30
    490 1975 TOPPS CLIFF HARRIS 8OC 5 55 $10

MODERN HOF
    367 1973 TOPPS BOB KUECHENBERG 8 36 40 $18
    219 1974 TOPPS RAY GUY 8 33 16 $50 SOLD
    195 1980 TOPPS LESTER HAYES 8 27 12 $15 SOLD
    194 1981 TOPPS ART MONK 9 296 25 $30
    356 1983 TOPPS GARY ANDERSON 10 29 0 $50
    300 1984 TOPPS MORTEN ANDERSEN 9 64 8 $12
    380 1984 TOPPS DARRELL GREEN 9 356 26 $20
    381 1984 TOPPS RUSS GRIMM 9 65 5 $20
    24 1985 TOPPS RICHARD DENT 8 138 30 $10
    161 1986 TOPPS JERRY RICE 9 549 42 $220
    388 1986 TOPPS ANDRE REED 9 225 14 $30
    389 1986 TOPPS BRUCE SMITH 9 134 6 $30 SOLD
    78 1989 SCORE ROD WOODSON 10 131 0 $30
    86 1989 SCORE TIM BROWN 10 159 0 $35
    246 1989 SCORE DEION SANDERS 10 144 0 $55
    258 1989 SCORE DERRICK THOMAS 10 90 0 $35
    263 1989 SCORE STEVE ATW*ATER 10 89 0 $30
    408S 1989 SCORE SUPPLEMENTAL DERMONTTI DAWSON 10 16 0 $80
    10 1990 ACTION PACKED ROOKIE UPDATE LEROY BUTLER 9 50 8 $14
    46 1990 ACTION PACKED ROOKIE UPDATE SHANNON SHARPE 9 85 5 $15
    65T 1990 SCORE SUPPLEMENTAL JUNIOR SEAU 10 67 0 $30
    101T 1990 SCORE SUPPLEMENTAL EMMITT SMITH 9 2614 312 $60
    835 1991 PRO SET JOHN RANDLE 10 23 0 $50
    94T 1991 SCORE SUPPLEMENTAL AENEAS WILLIAMS 10 16 0 $45
    94 1991 STADIUM CLUB BRETT FAVRE 10 634 0 $200
    228 1992 COLLECTORS EDGE JIMMY SMITH 10 30 0 $40
    421 1993 BOWMAN WILLIE ROAF 9 19 7 $15 SOLD
    6 1993 SP JEROME BETTIS 9 38 4 $160
    75 1993 SP JASON ELAM 10 14 0 $65
    123 1993 SP WILL SHIELDS 9 12 8 $20
    259 1993 SP JOHN LYNCH 10 26 0 $65
    331 1993 ULTRA MICHAEL STRAHAN 10 20 0 $55
    68 1994 BOWMAN ISAAC BRUCE 10 25 0 $80
    300 1994 PLAYOFF LARRY ALLEN 9 3 3 $80
    3 1994 SP MARSHALL FAULK 10 233 0 $75
    18 1995 SP CURTIS MARTIN 9 116 14 $20
    103 1995 SP DERRICK BROOKS 10 12 0 $55
    130 1995 SP TERRELL DAVIS 9 2108 90 $20
    164 1996 BOWMANS BEST RAY LEWIS 9 122 26 $15
    4 1996 SP JONATHAN OGDEN 8 6 10 $10 SOLD
    18 1996 SP MARVIN HARRISON 10 44 0 $350
    91 1996 SP ZACH THOMAS 8 27 26 $10 SOLD
    199 1997 PACIFIC PHILADELPHIA ADAM VINATIERI 9 24 8 $60
    1 1997 SP AUTHENTIC ORLANDO PACE 9 9 4 $20 SOLD
    11 1997 SP AUTHENTIC TONY GONZALEZ 9 57 7 $30 SOLD
    96 1999 SP AUTHENTIC TORRY HOLT 8 145 63 $25 SOLD
    111 1999 SP AUTHENTIC CHAMP BAILEY 8 28 15 $20 SOLD
    122 2000 SP AUTHENTIC BRIAN URLACHER 9 107 73 $95 SOLD
    221 2001 TOPPS CHROME LADANIAN TOMLINSON 9 62 6 $350
  • Options
    << brain dead... thought I was sending a PM but was not >>
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    josh, pm sent.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    pm sent
  • Options
    I like to stir up the debates a bit and in this case it's quite a bit early....but, will Devin Hester garner any support for the Hall of Fame as primarily a 'special teams' player? He's already got 10 return TDs in his career (if I read that correctly) and the all-time record is Brian Mitchell with 13, isn't it?

So, would Hester have to put together 30 or 40 return TDs to stand out enough and be even considered?

I remember Brian Mitchell as a very good return man and decent player, but it just seems that Hester's returns are such 'game changing' events (mostly because it's more life than the Bears' offense usually shows) that he could potentially be looked at for enshrinement.

Thoughts?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>I like to stir up the debates a bit and in this case it's quite a bit early....but, will Devin Hester garner any support for the Hall of Fame as primarily a 'special teams' player? He's already got 10 return TDs in his career (if I read that correctly) and the all-time record is Brian Mitchell with 13, isn't it?

So, would Hester have to put together 30 or 40 return TDs to stand out enough and be even considered?

I remember Brian Mitchell as a very good return man and decent player, but it just seems that Hester's returns are such 'game changing' events (mostly because it's more life than the Bears' offense usually shows) that he could potentially be looked at for enshrinement.

Thoughts? >>

For Hester, its going to be more about consistency. He's put up all these TDs in just 2 years. If he has a great 3-4 year career and then fades away he won't make the HOF. If he can do what he is currently doing for another 7+ years, we may be watching the first ever HOF return man.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

Thoughts? >>

Arnold

Do you remember Desmond Howard?

joe
  • Options

<< <i>Arnold

joe

>>

They even have the same initials!
  • Options

<< <i>Arnold

joe >>

Doh! LOL

Yes, I do. But, Desmond Howard is old news...he only had 8 returns for TDs in his career. DH² is already at 10! image

I'm not a big Devin Hester fan or anything, just wondering when the Hall would have to recognize a 'special teamer'.

If/when Canton votes in a special teamer, does that mean that Cooperstown should start voting in the best Pinch Hitters of all time? Better stock up on Lenny Harris, Mark Sweeney and Manny Mota cards! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>

If/when Canton votes in a special teamer, does that mean that Cooperstown should start voting in the best Pinch Hitters of all time? Better stock up on Lenny Harris, Mark Sweeney and Manny Mota cards! image >>

The ONLY way a NON K/P Special Teamer will ever get in is if they do something so far away better than anyone else has ever done, the HOF will HAVE to put them in.

If Hester retires with 30+ TD returns, how would he NOT be enshrined..

Jason
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Arnold

joe

>>

They even have the same initials! >>

As previously mentioned, consistency is the key. Everybody remember Dante Hall from a few years ago? He's toiling in obscurity now with the Rams, I believe.
  • Options

<< <i>As previously mentioned, consistency is the key. Everybody remember Dante Hall from a few years ago? He's toiling in obscurity now with the Rams, I believe. >>

Wow, Dante Hall. Haven't heard that name in a while. His flame really fizzled fast. I remember people trying to hype him up for league MVP one season, which I thought was just crazy. And once again the initials are D.H. I'm definitely noticing a pattern here...
  • Options

<< <i>

As previously mentioned, consistency is the key. Everybody remember Dante Hall from a few years ago? He's toiling in obscurity now with the Rams, I believe. >>

Dante Hall is a great example...He isn't done yet though, he returned a Punt for TD just a couple weeks ago vs. the Cowboys..I was at the game, and I don't know his yardage off the top of my head but Hall was close to breaking almost every return. I remember thinking that I thought he was pretty much washed up, but at least for that game he was playing lights out.

I think thus far, Hester is returning kicks like no one I have personally ever watched/seen short of maybe Gale Sayers. It seems like every week he gets ANOTHER return. You would think that eventually, teams will just stop kicking to him. He's more dangerous than the Bears offense, just kick it out of bounds...lol

Food for thought..Here are the All-Time leaders in KR/PR touchdowns:

13- Brian Mitchell---Did it in 1,070 career returns
    12- Eric Metcalf---Did it in 631 career returns
    12- Dante Hall---Has done it in 580 career returns

Devin Hester has 8 KR/PR returns and has done it in 106 tries....Gale Sayers had 8 KR/PR TDs out of 118 returns.

Thats just absolutely crazy...At this pace, if he returns 636 kicks in his career with end up with 48 TDs...He does that he will go to the HOF, 100%.

Jason

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    JOSH, PM SENT
  • Options

<< <i>Food for thought..Here are the All-Time leaders in KR/PR touchdowns:

13- Brian Mitchell---Did it in 1,070 career returns
    12- Eric Metcalf---Did it in 631 career returns
    12- Dante Hall---Has done it in 580 career returns

Devin Hester has 8 KR/PR returns and has done it in 106 tries....Gale Sayers had 8 KR/PR TDs out of 118 returns.

Thats just absolutely crazy...At this pace, if he returns 636 kicks in his career with end up with 48 TDs...He does that he will go to the HOF, 100%.

Jason >>

That's why I brought it up....although early in his career, he's on a torrid pace. By the way, I thought I read Hester had 10 TDs already. I may be off though. Metcalf & Hall's numbers were pretty impressive, but nothing like what Hester SHOULD end at if he keeps up a decent pace for the next 6 to 7 years.

Interesting.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    At least one of those returns was off a missed FG. Right now he is getting alot of help from the Bears depth on special teams. Lets see what happens when all those guys who are blocking for him end up leaving for better money elsewhere.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Like Jason said, teams will wise up realizing that the Bears offense is pretty bad, and they won't kick to him anymore. At least until they get some talent on offense. P.S., they need a lot! Cedric Benson is most certainly not the answer at RB.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone interested in a 2000 PSA 10 SP Authentic Shaun Alexander rc? If so, please PM or e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    pm sent Greg