Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    That sucks....LOL...I think I have decided to try the crossover service with a min grade of 8. That way, I wont risk a 7 and wont risk damaging it while removing it.....

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I have never used a crossover service before. Is the "regular" service type the one I would use? $15 per card plus return shipping??

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That sucks....LOL...I think I have decided to try the crossover service with a min grade of 8. That way, I wont risk a 7 and wont risk damaging it while removing it.....

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I have never used a crossover service before. Is the "regular" service type the one I would use? $15 per card plus return shipping??

Dave >>

Crossover's can be done on any service level. Best of luck...I haven't tried a crossover in a couple of years. Didn't have much luck, especially with the Mid-grade (8.5) cards. I don't remember ever having an SGC 92 come back a PSA 9 from a crossover..But sure got some PSA 9's and PSA 10's from SGC 92s that were cracked and submitted. But yes, you always run that risk of getting back a 6 or 7...Vince has the right concept though, just re-submit and hope for a better grader...Out of probably 100 cards that I have re-submitted over the years, I've gotten probably 40 bumps. Very seldomly I will resubmit a 3rd time, and that is only if I really have a strong feeling about the card. I've gotten a bump that 3rd time probably 80% of my 3rd re-subs. But I have to be near certain and will have examined the card more closely than they do at PSA.

Let us know how it turns out! If its a 9, shoot me a line, and I will start writing the 4 digit check..lol
    Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    How bout you go ahead and shoot me a 4 digit check and I'll let you get the bump yourself. I'm sure you'd get more satisfaction that way...image

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>How bout you go ahead and shoot me a 4 digit check and I'll let you get the bump yourself. I'm sure you'd get more satisfaction that way...image

Dave >>

Well, see there's the rub...CAN it get that PSA 9 grade...I'm like you, I would need to be in it for no more than the price of a PSA 8, because I don't want to lose money on any card. That would be conter-productive..lol..

If you want to sell for $500, I'm all in. I'll pop it and re-sub for that. If it were stronger I might think about it, but to be honest the chances of it getting a PSA 9 are probably pretty slim based on the scan. But hey, stranger things have happened!

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i> When the Super Bowl MVP set was created in circa 2003, the 1995 Select Certifed was the most popular/valuable. SMR said so, Beckett said so, and ebay sales said so. Fast forward to 2007, the Select Certified turned out to be WAY EASY to obtain in high grade and it drove down the value. By 2007, The SMR and Beckett showed either the SP being wirth more, at worst the same amount. On ebay, the SP was selling a little higher in PSA 9 and much higher in PSA 10. So we voted here on the boards prior to loading the set, and the majority wanted the SP and not the Select Certified. That doesn't mean someone couldn't request a change to Select, and at that point we would all get a poll and that would decide any changes.

Jason >>

Thank you jason, that is kind of what I was wondering, if a card can be the front runner in value, only to have another card surpass it in value before it has a chance to be voted into a set.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info!!

joe
  • Options
    I am going to start listing the duplicate cards for sale from my acquisition of Craigzav's collection.

Here is the first list of cards available for sale or trade.

These are all Craig's cards which he will be bringing to me in Florida from Canada.

These cards will be delivered to the purchaser by October 1st.

ALL CARDS ARE NQ

1935 National Chicle # 24 Clarke Hinkle PSA 7
    1948 Bowman # 61 Alex Wojciechowicz PSA 7
    1948 Leaf # 1 Sid Luckman PSA 5
    1948 Leaf # 22 Steve Van Buren PSA 6
    1948 Leaf # 29 Charley Trippi PSA 6
    1950 Bowman # 128 Jim Finks PSA 8
    1951 Bowman # 20 Tom Landry PSA 7
    1952 Bowman Large # 4 Steve Owen PSA 8
    1952 Bowman Large # 14 Paul Brown PSA 7
    1952 Bowman Large # 85 Andy Robustelli PSA 7
    1954 Bowman # 23 George Blanda PSA 8
    1955 Bowman # 2 Mike McCormick PSA 8
    1957 Topps # 151 Paul Hornung PSA 7

Please email me at madmandreamer@aol.com

Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    dont want to sound upity, but can we keep the posts for selling cards to a refernce to your listing on the Buy/Sell/Trade group.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a PSA 10 Urlacher SP Authentic rc for $140...I'm shocked that I won it! Don't they usually sell for $200+? I put in a snipe for $150, thinking that I wouldn't win it. Sweet - another one down for the future HOF set. Now I need the "big boys"; Manning, Brady and Tomlinson plus a couple of others such as Allen and Holt.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>I just picked up a PSA 10 Urlacher SP Authentic rc for $140...I'm shocked that I won it! Don't they usually sell for $200+? I put in a snipe for $150, thinking that I wouldn't win it. Sweet - another one down for the future HOF set. Now I need the "big boys"; Manning, Brady and Tomlinson plus a couple of others such as Allen and Holt.

Greg M. >>

Greg, I paid $122.50 for my Urlacher 10 in March 2006. Haven't tracked them recently, but seems like a good price though. I think I remember them at $200+ around the Super Bowl..But Peyton PSA 9s were also selling for 1K+..lol

On my Future/Modern HOFer set, I just need a 1996 SP Ogden and a 1999 SP Champ Bailey and I'll be at 100%..Still need quite a few upgrades though..

Jason
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Since this is the official football HOF rookies thread, and Marc is selling football HOF rookies, I don't see a problem with his post.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>dont want to sound upity, but can we keep the posts for selling cards to a refernce to your listing on the Buy/Sell/Trade group. >>

I disagree..I would rather see them here.....Just my opinion..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Sorry for the sale listing I thought I was being helpful giving people on this board the first chance.

Marc.
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    Anyone who has dealt with me knows that my prime objective is to be helpful, not to be bothersome.

That is why I tend to stay in the background and not list on the site.

BTW, Jason I can help. I'll be emailing you shortly.

Marc.
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    I think this IS the place to offer HOF rookie cards...by the way Marc are those cards you have for sale the ones pictured in Craigzav's HOF registry
    Superdave
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone who has dealt with me knows that my prime objective is to be helpful, not to be bothersome.

That is why I tend to stay in the background and not list on the site.

BTW, Jason I can help. I'll be emailing you shortly.

Marc. >>

Hey Marc!

No problem! Dealing with you has been a pleasure and I appreciate your support with my set! Thank you for giving me and other board members first crack at your cards!

Regards,

Danny
    Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • Options
    Marc- I agree with some of the others. I rarely read the BST board. It's basically a waste of time. Your post was directly connected to the spirit of this thread. HOF Rookies. Let us know when you have other cards available.
    BTW, I emailed you about the 48 leafsimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Frank, Andy, Daves, Danny..

Thanks for the support. I will list the cards as you wish.

Let me explain my reasoning for listing cards for sale here.

Just as this is a thread for the sharing of opinions and ideas, I would rather see these cards enhance the collections of those that are members of the registry, the reason that Dave created the thread.

Unfortunately, with the old timers like Craig leaving, I would hope that we do not lose the comraderie that helped Jon overtake MOSH.

I would rather list the cards here and be contacted and work out sales with those who are members of the registry as opposed to listing on Ebay.

The acquisition of Craig's collection including his #3 All Time HOF Rookie set will make some rarely seen cards available.

Thanks to all those that make this an enjoyable experience and have enhanced the collecting environment which is why I decided to acquire Craig's collection, rather than sell my collection.

Marc.

------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    I agree with Marc. I always post my pops on this board if I have any HOFers in it simply b/c I would rather sell them to our fellow HOFer collectors than put it on Ebay. I would hope many of you all would do the same.

I thought Dave created this board b/c he felt this may help us find cards we needed and enlighten us on past and future HOFers.

I like the debates and the stats and Jason's spreadsheets b/c they help me to understand the game and the players that played before my time.
    I'm a football fan, if you want to post items for sell, do it. If you want to debate, do it also.
    sorry for the rant
    Vince
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    Marc is one of, if not THE, best guys to deal with on the HOF RC Registry. He posted his available HOF RCs SPECIFICALLY as a heads up to those of us who follow THE set (which many of us do)...He will also work with you and do his best to get the cards you need in your hands...

I don't know of a better reason to keep this thread going than that. As Marc stated, this is a place we as a group can share ideas, philosophies, and available cards that help all of us further our sets. I know it is overall a competition for these cards, but for me, if I'm not getting them I prefer to see someone else from the NFL HOF RC set get them.

Marc, thanks for posting, and congrats on FINALLY getting this long awaited deal done..lol

Jason
  • Options
    sorry to create such a stir. that was just my feeling. for awhile (until Jason and I had our debate) it seemed about the only new topics coming up for discussion. anyone is free to post what ever they want. just that i would see if others had the same feeling. i guess thats not the case. sorry i opened my mouth. it wasnt not meant to be a slam on any one person. though it seems that that is how it came across. my lips are sealed.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who rarely posts but often reads....I would look kindly upon people selling higher quality cards on this site. It gives those with the most interest the ability to prescreen what could potentially be on ebay. The only problem I see.....Marc forgot to list some cards......like
    some of the ones I need!!!!!!

On another note...I just joined PSA and want to submit cards for the FB special. Is it best to keep # cards down to a specific number say 25 or less or is it ok to do up to 100 at once? Do you mix old with new? mix potential 9's with 7's? MIx the same card ie 95 sp T Davis in a group?? Can the new member vouchers be used for any card inc. tall boys??

Is there any secret....if there really is any.....to getting better grades with the same bunch of cards?

any info would be appreciated. jay
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Guys i think i am going to put your classic set together however as most of you who know me are aware i go for very high grades in the sets i do as well as my redskins collection.

With that said i have no plans on jumping into this monster in high grade other then the cards that are in the sets i collect.

So my question is on the 30,s 40,and 50,s cards were the real big money comes into play how do real nice looking lower grade cards go price wise compared to say smr ,I only use smr as i know say 8,and 9 go from 3x to 10 times smr.

I would love to just find nice centered cards with mayby a tiny wrinkle or as many sweet looking bowmans have the spider wrinkles on the back so psa 4 to 5 grades but the hard to see crease or wrinkle is all thats really holding the card from a psa 7 or 8 grade.

Any ideas on price and if any of you guys have anything that fits that let me know.

Thanks Art
  • Options
    All,

What is the website where the recent E-Bay sales are accessible? I'm thinking of joining...as I'm tired of having to ask every time that I need a price check image

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Greg,

It's vintagecardprices.com. If you need a price on something, lmk.

Andy
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Greg, sent a PM to you.

By the way, great job on the Urlacher. I had that one in my sights too, but your snipe was just a bit higher than mine. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Greg - Nice pickup on the Urlacher, I paid just over $90 for my PSA 9. I would have gladly paid an extra $50 to get a 10.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my first list.

This list includes newly listed cards along with the cards still remaining from the first list.

Again. These are all Craig's cards which he will be bringing to me in Florida from Canada.

These cards will be delivered to the purchaser by November 1st.

ALL CARDS ARE NQ

1960 Fleer # 116 Hank Stram PSA 8
    1960 Fleer # 118 Ron Mix PSA 8
    1963 Topps # 155 Larry Wilson PSA 8
    1964 Philadelphia # 3 John Mackey PSA 8
    1965 Philadelphia # 156 Jim Bakken PSA 8
    1965 Philadelphia # 189 Paul Krause PSA 8
    1966 Philadelphia # 38 Gale Sayers PSA 8
    1966 Philadelphia # 45 Gene Hickerson PSA 8
    1966 Philadelphia # 134 Bob Brown PSA 7
    1967 Philadelphia # 43 Leroy Kelly PSA 7
    1967 Philadelphia # 165 Jackie Smith PSA 8
    1967 Philadelphia # 178 Dave Wilcox PSA 8
    1969 Topps # 120 Larry Csonka PSA 8
    1970 Topps # 25 Jan Stenerud PSA 8
    1970 Topps # 59 Alan Page PSA 9
    1972 Topps # 316 Rayfield Wright PSA 9
    1973 Topps # 343 Jack Youngblood PSA 9
    1975 Topps # 12 Mel Blount PSA 9
    1975 Topps # 39 Rocky Bleier PSA 10
    1975 Topps # 65 Drew Pearson PSA 9
    1976 Topps # 158 Randy White PSA 9
    1981 Topps # 150 Kellen WinsloW PSA 10
    1998 SP Authentic Die Cut # 14 Peyton Manning PSA 10

------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    I did not realize till just now, but the 64 Topps Jim Tyrer I just had grade a PSA 8 is the highest grade. I guess I feel a little better about my sub now. I only paid $4 for it.

The PSA 10 93 Bowman Willie Roaf I pulled out of a Jumbo pack. I bought a box of Jumbo packs at a flea market for like $25. Each pack has 2 foil cards in it so I thought I would stand a better chance at getting a decent one.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    Question for everyone? Is it possible to have a auto'd HOF RC included in your set. I have a 61 Jordan Auto'd card. I have to send it in to be graded, its already PSA/DNA certified but not graded. Would that card be allowed in the set(s)?

Here it is compared to my unsigned.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I wouldn't think so.. I don't think any other Auto's have been included.

BTW... Nice card. I just picked up a PSA 7 yesterday...

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Question for everyone? Is it possible to have a auto'd HOF RC included in your set. I have a 61 Jordan Auto'd card. I have to send it in to be graded, its already PSA/DNA certified but not graded. Would that card be allowed in the set(s)?

Here it is compared to my unsigned. >>

Probably not. I would think the cert # wouldn't work since it wouldn't be listed in the POP report as the same card. That's really the easiest way to determine if a card is the correct card. If it counts different in the POP's, its going to have a different specification number and that is what links the cards to the sets they can be loaded into. With the HOF RC set, the only variants that I know of being allowed are the 1952 Bowman (Large and Small) and the 1948 Leaf variants, which are all listed separate in the PSA report. There are some other Registry sets out there with quirks that will allow variable cards but you run the risk of what happened to Dave, in that PSA could at some point make a correction and nullify your card.

I think you should just start a new NFL HOF RC Auto set!image

Jason
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    There ya go. Start a HOF auto set. Or better yet, like Jason said, an autographed HOF rc set. Now that would be a tough one!

BTW - It would be nice to get the Steve Van Buren to show up as such instead of "See Varieties". that always annoys me when I look at my set.
  • Options
    Dave, your Jordan went out today, enjoy. Really good centering.
  • Options
    Thanks Bill.....I've been looking for a nicely centered one for a while now..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who has responded.

These cards are still available.

Again. These are all Craig's cards which he will be bringing to me in Florida from Canada.

These cards will be delivered to the purchaser by November 1st.

ALL CARDS ARE NQ

1960 Fleer # 116 Hank Stram PSA 8
    1960 Fleer # 118 Ron Mix PSA 8
    1963 Fleer # 47 Len Dawson PSA 8
    1963 Topps # 155 Larry Wilson PSA 8
    1964 Philadelphia # 3 John Mackey PSA 8
    1964 Philadelphia # 84 Packers Play (Vince Lombardi) PSA 8
    1965 Philadelphia # 156 Jim Bakken PSA 8
    1965 Philadelphia # 189 Paul Krause PSA 8
    1966 Philadelphia # 38 Gale Sayers PSA 8
    1966 Philadelphia # 134 Bob Brown PSA 7
    1967 Philadelphia # 43 Leroy Kelly PSA 7
    1967 Philadelphia # 178 Dave Wilcox PSA 8
    1969 Topps # 120 Larry Csonka PSA 8
    1970 Topps # 25 Jan Stenerud PSA 8
    1970 Topps # 59 Alan Page PSA 9
    1971 Topps # 156 Terry Bradshaw PSA 8
    1972 Topps # 316 Rayfield Wright PSA 9
    1973 Topps # 343 Jack Youngblood PSA 9
    1975 Topps # 12 Mel Blount PSA 9
    1975 Topps # 39 Rocky Bleier PSA 10
    1975 Topps # 65 Drew Pearson PSA 9
    1976 Topps # 158 Randy White PSA 9
    1977 Topps # 380 Dave Casper PSA 8
    1979 Topps # 310 James Lofton PSA 9
    1981 Topps # 150 Kellen Winslow PSA 10
    1982 Topps # 51 Anthony Munoz PSA 9
    1982 Topps # 434 Lawrence Taylor PSA 9
    1982 Topps # 486 Ronnie Lott PSA 9
    1984 Topps USFL# 36 Jim Kelly PSA 9
    1984 Topps USFL # 52 Steve Young PSA 9
    1998 SP Authentic Die Cut # 14 Peyton Manning PSA 10

------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    email sent
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Hello everyone,

I am looking to sell my set. I am currently #49 on the registry. Heres a link to my set if anyone wants to see pics. Prices would include delivery confirmation and bubble mailer.

Reese3333 HOF Rookie Set

1948 Bowman- Alex Wojciechowicz-PSA 5-$50
    1948 Leaf- Bob Waterfield-PSA 4- $80
    1948 Leaf- Charley Trippi-PSA 4-$85
    1948 Leaf-Steve Van Buren-PSA 3- $60
    1948 Leaf-Sammy Baugh-PSA 3- $150
    1950 Bowman-Otto Graham-PSA 6-$300
    1950 Bowman-Tom Fears-PSA 6- Sold
    1950 Bowman-Dante Lavelli-PSA 5- $75 (small crack in the right bottom corner of case)
    1955 Bowman-Len Ford-PSA 6- $25
    1955 Topps All-American-Benny Friedman-PSA 7- $65
    1965 Philadelphia-Paul Krause-PSA 7-$65
    1965 Philadelphia-Carl Eller-PSA 7-$25
    1971 Topps-Ken Houston-PSA 7 $20
    1971 Topps-Willie Lanier-PSA 7 $20
    1973 Topps-Jim Langer-PSA 8 $25
    1978 Topps-John Stallworth PSA 9-$30
    1981 Topps-Kellen Winslow PSA 8-$15
    1982 Topps-Ronnie Lott PSA 8 $15
    1982 Topps-Anthony Munoz PSA 8- $10
    1983 Topps-Mike Singletary PSA 8-$20
    1983 Topps Marcus Allen PSA 8-$10
    1984 Topps Eric Dickerson PSA 9-$30
    1984 Topps Jackie Slater PSA 9-$18
    1984 Topps Jackie Slater PSA 8-$5
    1985 Topps Warren Moon PSA 8-$25
    1985 Topps Mike Munchak-PSA 8-$10
    1989 Score Bruce Matthews-PSA 9-$12

Thanks,
    Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I was just looking up some info on football reference.com and noticed Vinny Testaverde's numbers. Wow, those are some impressive numbers! But, I wouldn't necessarily consider him a HOFer, does anyone else? He's sort of the football version of baseball's Dave Kingman, isn't he?

All Time Top 50
    Pass Attempts: 6th All Time
    Completions: 6th All Time
    Passing Yards: 6th All Time
    Passing TDs: 9th All Time

He had more passing attempts and completions than Fouts, Montana, Tarkenton, Esiason & Johnny U.
    He had more passing yards than Bledsoe, Fouts, Montana, Esiason, Unitas & Jim Kelly.
    He had more TDs than Fouts, Bledsoe, Esiason, J.Kelly & S.Young.

So, does this guy have a shot? Or is he all stats and no substance. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    arnevee my fb knowledge is far less than many others on this board. However, when it comes to the hall of fame..there should be some piaaazzzz to his playing. Not once did I ever watch vinnie play and say, "wow what a great game" or " That guy is pretty darn good."
    I can remember him throwing interceptions when the game was on the line. Most of the hof qb's had the fire and ability to rise above the pressure and play great when it counted the most.

Kingman was a good example...he had about 475 hr's but either hit a hr or struck out. He had nothing else in his game.

Lets hope he isn't a Don Sutton. a hofer without ever winning 20 games, no top finishes in cy young, mvp, SO, ERA, or any pitching stat....only he played long enough at a good but not exceptional level to win 300 games.

Needless to say...I don't have or want vinnie's card.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    please forgive me....i didn't spell your name correctly

arnyvee
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I'm not a Vinny fan or a Vinny hater. Just thought that his numbers were pretty impressive in comparison with 'shoe-in' HOFs and just wanted everyone's opinion.

I agree with you Jay, nothing really stands out in my mind when I think of Vinny Testaverde, but again, I wasn't a big fan or follower of his career.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Vinny Testaverde===Drew Bledsoe===Dave Krieg

What do these guys have in common? They were all accumulators. They got their stats by playing average to slightly above average football for a long time. None of them ever did anything that made them a difference maker on their own teams. All 3 were good passers, but the highest lifetime passer rating among them was 81.4 by Dave Krieg. When you are talking 80s/90s/00s stats, that is terrible. Neil O'Donnell, Brad Johnson, Brian Griese...All have higher passer ratings.

Playoffs? Testaverde lifetime 2-3 as a starter.

Krieg lifetime 2-6 as a starter.

Bledsoe 4-3 and he did at least get to a Super Bowl. Of the 3 I mentioned, Bledsoe would probably have the best shot at the HOF, and his odds are about 25,000 to 1...lol

QBs are probably the easiest HOFers to predict. They have the best chance of anyone on the field to succeed or fail. Most of the HOF QBs of the 80/90/00s are pretty cut and dry.

Vinny had a few good years with the Ravens and Jets, but the rest of his career he was mostly considered a bad QB. Krieg, I don't think was every considered bad, but also never really had any GREAT years. 1984 was his best, but even then he wasn't 1st OR 2nd Team All-Pro. So he was never considered one of the best in the league in all of his many many years..lol..Bledsoe, PRE-Tom Brady, was looking like a sure HOFer. After his injury and subsequent benching he was never the same. He played scared, he got sacked alot, etc...Basically played his way out of the HOF, very much like Kurt Warner.

If any of those 3 ever make the HOF, they might as well fold up shop.

Jason

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    So let me get this straight. You think the HOF committee should keep out Vinny. Right? This guy lit up the field for over 20 years and you want to keep him out?

It only took him 7 seasons to throw more TD's than Int's in a single season. And to think he threw for over 4000 yards in one season. To top it off this guy made the Pro Bowl twice in his 20 years. What is holding him back? That he is color blind? Do you guys remember when the Buc's had to change uniform colors because he could not see the difference of their home uniforms to white. That point alone he should get in. He change the course of history for the Buc's by changing their uniforms. image
  • Options

<< <i>So let me get this straight. You think the HOF committee should keep out Vinny. Right? This guy lit up the field for over 20 years and you want to keep him out?

It only took him 7 seasons to throw more TD's than Int's in a single season. And to think he threw for over 4000 yards in one season. To top it off this guy made the Pro Bowl twice in his 20 years. What is holding him back? That he is color blind? Do you guys remember when the Buc's had to change uniform colors because he could not see the difference of their home uniforms to white. That point alone he should get in. He change the course of history for the Buc's by changing their uniforms. >>

Troy
    you have to do a little smiley face thing image to denote sarcasm.

Is there a bizarro world hall of fame, like in the old superman cartoons?

• Options
    Jo --

You tryin to tel peple how to right there massages.

------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    mr. publius
    cartoons...I knew you were just a big kid......but superman ??
    I had you down as a scooby doo guy........if I gave you a scooby snack...can I have your psa 8 1955 ringo??
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

<< <i>mr. publius
    cartoons...I knew you were just a big kid......but superman ??
    I had you down as a scooby doo guy........if I gave you a scooby snack...can I have your psa 8 1955 ringo?? >>

Jay z
    That Ringo I got on my own submission. Me, the guy with the worst grading eye on the boards, got a Ringo 8!!!.

Im hanging that card above my mantle man, its not going anywhere

imageimage

By the way, huge fan of your music!!
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for offers for cards in my NFL HOF set(s). Please PM me with offers. Thanks, Mark.

NFL HOF RC's

Future NFL HOF RC's
  • Options

<< <i>I'm looking for offers for cards in my NFL HOF set(s). Please PM me with offers. Thanks, Mark.

NFL HOF RC's

Future NFL HOF RC's >>

Why are you selling?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm looking for offers for cards in my NFL HOF set(s). Please PM me with offers. Thanks, Mark.

NFL HOF RC's

Future NFL HOF RC's >>

Why are you selling?

Greg M. >>

Greg,
    Just moving in other collecting directions for now. I'll probably be back down the road...

Mark