Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    Congrats on the Hernandez. That was a very nice card.

I believe that the one that I submitted was more a traditional 9 and not a perfectly centered one like yours. Good luck with the Brett!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick shipping and good luck on your auctions Al.

Soren
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    thanks Soren. I'm amazed they got to you that fast......sometimes the post office amazes me, other times you wonder if pony express is back!! al.
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Just to let some of you know I put couple PSA 84 donruss on ebay, I figured that I would finish my first set before I start another set. Its under seller 68setcollector. I hope it can help a couple of people.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Here's a link to help lilmule out....

LilMule's '84 Donruss for sale
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    $103 McGraw 9. And I thought the stock market and collecting baseball cards were two different things.......

Congrats Al!
  • Options
    Wow, congrats Al!

Nice hammer price on that McGraw! That's great.

Plus, the Trillo & Moreno will end around $20 & $30 respectively from what it looks like (barring any last minute snipes! image )

I'm ecstatic to have picked up the Tippy Martinez at a great price...thanks Al!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    WoW! $103 for that McGraw? Awesome! Gotta go searching to see if I have any of thoseimage And I thought my Hernandez 9 going for $43 was goodimage

btw, my Brett 10 is ending in about 90 minutes. It's only at $40 now, so maybe someone here can get it at a "bargain" price...

Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Arnyvee
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Al, thanks for the cards!

I've now added the Leon Durham DK Steele card and a bonus from Al...an upgrade from my 8 A.Ashby to a 9!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    p..................a..................g...................e

t...................u..................r....................n
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    $103 for a McGraw 9! I need to put my Hickey 10 up for sale.
  • Options
    I could use a hickey right about now....oops...different kind of hickey...
  • Options
    I just strolled thru my retired set, and it's just AMAZING that there's only about 10 cards out of 689 (master set) where there hasn't been a psa 10 graded to date.

Gee, back several years ago when I first started, there were about 30 card numbers that hadn't even been submitted. My how far we've come.

Some of the 1/1's I saw have been that way for a long, long time, and some not so long but will probably never see the light of day, such as the Fitzgerald and the Schmidt DK steele. The 1/1 Larry Parrish DK steel was from my 'test' submission close to 4 years ago and it still stands. Other memories were where the first 4 of the 5 total psa 10's of Jessie Orosco were from my subs. One of my best purchases was hitting the BIN on the Hernandez 10 about 3 years ago. It still stands but the recent 9 that sold has a good crackout chance for the 2nd 10.

So, here's my guess for the last psa 10 to pop - #480 Joel Youngblood. It's a freaking hard card in 9 period. I think the Matt Young DK steele will be a close second.

What's your guess guys?

• Options
    I have to agree with you on the Youngblood. I sent in probably 4 in this latest submission to MAYBE get a 9. Sheesh.

For me personally, I can't get a Youngblood or a Bob Horner #535 card. Those two are the toughest for me.

I love the fact that I won the Tippy Martinez & Bobby Ramos 9s from Al because those are two toughies and Al's looked nice and clean. I've got a few in the sub of those 1/1s or 1/2s that have shots at 10s, so we'll see. I think that there were about 60 cards from the '84 Donruss in that sub, so should be interesting.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny - when did you send your sub in? Seems like it's been awhile.................
  • Options
    Nope...only been about a week or two....I'm going to just pretend I didn't send it because I know it's going to take awhile. Bulk sub at $6 per. So, I hope I can at least get ahead of the 'specials' that haven't been sitting for too long. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    For all that follow this thread you are aware I decided to stop collecting this set and it was retired. I've listed many of the cards that remain on ebay so you may be able to upgrade or find something you may need. Here's a link.link

I already am starting to miss the "action" so to speak in collecting of this set. I have been thinking of restarting putting together a NM-MT set instead of trying for an all MINT set. Any opinions out there? Arny and Bug, what do you think about this? thanks

al.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Hi Al-

I've decided to have my stars in slabs and I'm going with the clean look of a opened factory set to go with it. It has kept my overall cash outlay down and I still get my slab fix.

Good luck with the rest of your break and your future collecting.

Soren
  • Options
    Al - I have a partial raw set of perfectly or near-perfectly centered 84D's. Some may have a corner touch that you won't be able to see in binder pages. I only choose those with strong color. It looks dynamite in binder pages.

I've thought about someday doing 'Summer of 84D part II' but now's not the time. It's a good thing however, as you can't find any psa 9's. I checked ebay and there's only a little over 500 listed. How can someone put a set together with so little to choose from?

Bill
  • Options
    Guys,

I have just been recently turned on to this set. I would like to have this set, and raw is fine for me. There are some factory sets on ebay right now and I noticed they are split up into cello packs. Are these wrapped as tight as the topps cello packs of the seventies? I was wondering about the condition of these cards once you open them up.
  • Options
    my experience with the factory sets was that you sometimes did have corner touches once the cards were removed from the wrappings. However I also have had some of the cards from those cello's grade out as 10's....al.
  • Options
    I've had great cards which grade at 10s and others with the dings just like Al.

Hit or miss. I've got a couple of factory sets and some raw sets as well. Send me a PM if you're interested.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>I already am starting to miss the "action" so to speak in collecting of this set. I have been thinking of restarting putting together a NM-MT set instead of trying for an all MINT set. Any opinions out there? Arny and Bug, what do you think about this? thanks

al. >>

Al, I nearly gave up on my quest for this set a couple of times over the last few years. But, "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!". These '84s are way too beautiful to stay away from. And, if you do get away, you'll come right back to them at some point.

Are you looking at RAW NM-MT or PSA 8 set?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    PM Back image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    By the way....if Don Mattingly gets signed on as the skipper of the Yanks, that would put a nice charge into his rookie card, wouldn't it?

I doubt that they'll hire him, I would go with Joe Girardi before Mattingly.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>By the way....if Don Mattingly gets signed on as the skipper of the Yanks, that would put a nice charge into his rookie card, wouldn't it?

I doubt that they'll hire him, I would go with Joe Girardi before Mattingly. >>

Always go with the former catcher as they usually have a better knowledge of all aspects of the game than pitchers or other position players.
  • Options
    Arny, I agree with you. If Donnie Baseball gets the manager job his RC will bump.....who knows if he succeeds this might give the push to get HOF consideration back in the conversation with him. Same as what it did for Torre. Joe isn't a HOF'er on his playing but if you add in his success with managing I think he will get a lot of consideration.......hate to say that, especially when I'm an Indians fan.....

al.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say Mattingly is not getting the job, Joe Giradi got it.
  • Options
    Is it official?

I love Joe Girardi, he was managing my Marlins when they completely performed better than their expectations last year!

Has a real fire for managing. If it's official, the Yankees made the right choice. Although, for purposes of the Mattingly rookie appreciating further in value, I was thinking selfishly. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I haven't seen anything saying Girarldi got the job but it wouldn't surprise me that they would make the announcement on the night that the Red Sox won the World Series....anything to get the Yankees back on the front page of every paper in the universe........it's a wonder they didn't cut in on the celebration after the Red Sox won to make the announcement....
  • Options
    Well, at least the Yanks waited a couple of days... unlike that jerk A-Rod who announced his opt-out during game 7!

As for the Mattingly issue... yeah, I had my 84-D PSA-10 staged and ready to post on ebay until I heard the Girardi news. Looks like I will be waiting a little while longer after all... especially since the last one only went for $405 image
    Jim G
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    Well, here are the last few cards that I need upgrades on or outright need (until my sub comes through) for now....

#7 Jack Clark DK Steele PSA 8 (Need Upgrade)
    #8 Dave Dravecky DK Steele PSA 8 (Need Upgrade)
    #14 Bob Horner DK Steele PSA 8 (Need Upgrade)
    #15 Lance Parrish DK Steele PSA 8 (Need Upgrade)
    #16 Matt Young DK Steele PSA 8 (Need Upgrade)
    #24 Pedro Guerrero DK Steele PSA 8 (Need Upgrade)
    #471 Milt Wilcox PSA 8 (Need Upgrade)
    #480 Joel Youngblood
    #535 Bob Horner
    #546 Vance Law
    #605 Alfredo Griffin

.....out of all of the '84 Donruss cards that I've been personally going after, the Joel Youngblood and Bob Horner regular cards are the toughest to find centered! My goodness. Those two have been causing me fits! image

I've got about 4 of the Youngbloods (possible 9s, probably not 10s) and 2 Horners (again, more than likely 9s if that!) in that sub that I sent. So, we'll see how it goes with those two. I also sent 1 or 2 Wilcox cards which should help me upgrade that one. The Wilcox and Tippy Martinez cards are another two tough ones with centering.

Oh well, I just wanted to bring the thread back up and also see if anyone has these that they'd like to sell/trade for out there! image

PM me or e-mail me at SCMAuctions@aol.com
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Hey Arny... I'll try to look through my raw 84 D commons in the next few nights to see if I find any good candidates on the cards you mentioned. I think all my DK's are the "Steel" versions though, but I might might have a few of the other 5 you listed. I'll post scans if I find any decent ones.

Also, wanted to let the thread know that I listed a 7-card lot of some recent PSA-9... all HOFers. These are all from the same sub that resulted in my 9 Keith Hernandez (sold on ebay a few weeks ago) that was possibly under-graded. My honest opinion is that some of the 9's in this lot were also undergraded (especially the Gwynn & Henderson), so this may be a cheap way for somebody to get a hold of a couple potential 10's. If you want bigger scans of any card, just let me know on this thread or PM me.

84 Donruss 7-card PSA-9+ Lot
    Jim G
  • Options
    Jim, I have most of the non-DK cards already submitted to PSA with pretty good shots at even 10s. But, the Horner and Youngblood are the ones that I'm looking for with "10" qualities. Keep me in mind for those! image

I also threw a small bid to start things off on your lot of PSA stars. Good luck with the sale! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thanks Arny. I just looked through my 84 D commons. Unfortunately, no luck on the Youngblood or Horner. The 1 Youngblood I have is way too poorly centered to bother with, and for some reason, I don't seem to have any Horners. They may be somewhere else since I think I originally had him in my "minor stars" section. I'll see if I can figure out where his cards may be.

On a brighter note (for me at least), I found about 10-20 low pop (0 or 1 10's) cards that I think may have legitimate shots at 10's. It was quite an exercise going through these... kind of brought me back to my childhood days of ripping wax and rack packs holding my breath hoping to get that special rookie cardimage Anyway, I didn't have much luck on the back end of the set (where I started) but seemed to heat up on the smaller numbers. Most of the good ones I found were #220 or smaller for some strange reason. Anyway, I want to post a few of them here to get the expert's opinions of their chances at 10's. I've never posted photos here before so please bear with me while I try to perfect my methodology.

First up... Steve Rogers #219: Pop 8 (four 8's, four 9's, zero 10's)

imageimage
    Jim G
  • Options
    That Rogers could garner a 10, but the centering from right to left seems just a tinge off. I would think that it's a strong 9 for sure with a decent shot at a 10.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Hi Arny... good eye. The L/F centering on the front appears to be now worse than 47/53 (I actually came up with 47.8/52.2 using my digital calipers). The back is quite a bit worse at 63/37, but that is well within the supposed 75/25 PSA guidelines for a 10 back. There's only one way to tell for sure and that's to send it in. Never had a 1 of 1 before so that would be pretty cool. Here's a few more of the better ones I found. The Wilson is pop-0 and the other three are pop-1's. The centering on the Wilson is even better than the Rogers at better than 48/52 all the way around, but I'm worried about that tiny speck in the middle of the top border. It's barely noticeable and it is on all 5 of the Wilsons I have. Anyone know how this would be treated by PSA? Is it an automatic "no better than 9"?

imageimage

imageimage
    Jim G
  • Options
    Wilson and Butcher are nearly the same as the Rogers. Same grade from me on those.

Not sure if it's shadows are not, but the top left corners of the Bell and Young cards seem soft a little. Also, is that a chip at the top of the Bell card (towards the left). Without corner wear or chipping, I think that the Bell and Young have the same 9 qualities. Those are going to be harder to score 10s on.

But, with all this being said, I've seen worse in 10 holders. So, good luck on those! Any others?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Don't know if anyone saw this, but I just happened across it earlier today. Had a starting bid of $400 and actually didn't have any bids at all until a few hours before it ended, then ended up going for $471. Not sure why someone would start an item like this at $400. You know it's going to eclipse that amount no matter what, so why not start it low and get a lot of poeple involved in the bidding? Anyway, that always seems to work better for me and will probably be how I approach selling my Mattingly eventually.

84 D Mattingly PSA-10
    Jim G
  • Options
    When I run regular auctions, I start them at $9.99 or less. You know that you can hook a few folks into at least dropping a small bid and getting involved.

I agree Jim, that's the way to go.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Hey guys-

Have the following 84's available.

Sold as a lot

psa 9's------161, 169,191,193,199,206,264,282,519,562,616
    psa 8's------183,263,366,597

40 bucks dlvd

singles dlvd

psa 9's

93-5.00
    128-6.00
    645-8.00
    605-10.00

Thanks, Matt

gator005@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Good luck with those Matt. I just had a lot of 7 PSA-9 HOFers go for $35 on ebay. Kind of disappointing condiering I paid slightly more than that to get them graded, but I did make about $200 profit on the PSA-10 Brett & Ryan, and PSA-9 Hernandez, so all in all, I guess it wasn't too bad to make my money back on these. Anyway, I've got some rack packs coming this week so I may post a live rip thread with the results.
    Jim G
  • Options

Well, y'all gave me the '84 Donruss bug... as if I didn't already have enough ailments. Got a couple rack packs from BBCE and opened them earlier today. Here are 9 of the 10 cards I'm going to submit. The Rose and Valenzuela I imagine are 9s. The rest I think have great shots at 10. There are a few I think that are just locks, and if they don't come back that way... well, it's time to hang up my grading hat. My favorite of these nine is the Tom Underwood... just a common, but a real beauty of a card.

• Options
    Couple of beauties there bubba!

These '84 Donruss cards are things of beauties....that Underwood looks great and the colors of the Expos uniforms back then were great too. Looks like you have a couple of 10 candidates there my friend!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny - where's dem grades?

Are you checking for poppage 45 times a day like I used to? imageimage
  • Options
    Nothing.

Believe me, everyone here will be the first to know.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Hey Arny, I'm watching too....even though I moved my set I still check out your progress periodically.....GOOD LUCK!!!