Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WOW - full box of 1964 Topps Stand Ups - 120 packs!!!

Comments

• Options
    I particularly like how Bush color coordinated his tie with the turban.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone asked Steve Hart his opinion on this box? >>

I e-mailed him yesterday.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Holy chit - over 10K.

That quickly tells me:

1. it is legit
    2. he has alerted card dealers to this who were allowed to look at it and are bidding accordingly.
    3. with all his feedback - he's probably had some baseball card lots before, and satisfied buyers who also know of this auction
    4. there's gotta be some star cards in there

Hey Stevek, looks like you may have been a tad premature with those assertions the other night, huh? image >>

No Jerry - I still stand behind those comments until the facts prove otherwise. It's over 18K with some large feedback ebayers bidding on it. Yes, they could be shill bids - we'll have to see how it all plays out.

Of course I'm skeptical...I was skeptical when first viewing the auction. But you still need to remember the point that as long as he allows the product to be picked up and inspected, then there basically isn't a risk to a knowledgeable collector other than a waste of time and perhaps an ebay neg. If you don't have confidence in yourself inspecting the packs quickly for authenticity, then bring someone along with you who does, or you shouldn't be there bidding this kind of money in this situation. If I'm the winning bidder and I'm there inspecting the packs, I tear open a few packs picked at random to inspect the merchandise...if it's genuine I hand him the money...if it's not then he doesn't get the money.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I tear open a few packs picked at random to inspect the merchandise...if it's genuine I hand him the money...if it's not then he doesn't get the money.

Steve do you really think Mr. tagsale is going to let you rip a few packs before you hand him some money?

I can see it now. You say: Im going to rip a few then pay ok?

Him: NO I want u to be undersusspence.

At best, he may allow you to look at one pack and if you are lucky it won't be a ken johnson.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I tear open a few packs picked at random to inspect the merchandise...if it's genuine I hand him the money...if it's not then he doesn't get the money.

Steve do you really think Mr. tagsale is going to let you rip a few packs before you hand him some money?

I can see it now. You say: Im going to rip a few then pay ok?

Him: NO I want u to be undersusspence.

At best, he may allow you to look at one pack and if you are lucky it won't be a ken johnson.

Steve >>

Steve - if he doesn't allow that, then I walk away. If the packs really are genuine like the seller says, then he shouldn't be too worried with somebody about to hand him more than 18K, tearing open a few packs. That's the only, I do mean ONLY way that I would purchase this item. Any other way and in my opinion the buyer would be a glutten for punishment.

The buyer could even state his intentions over the phone and if Mr. Tag-Sale says "No" then I wouldn't even bother making the trip.

The seller stated in his ebay comments.....

Q: can the item be picked up , do you guarantee they have never been opened? thanks Mar-28-07
    A: yes u can pick up and yes they have not been opened that i can see ..

Q: youre selling all 120 packs and the box in 1 shot? is that correct? the packs are sealed? Mar-28-07
    A: THATS RIGHT AND THE PACKS ARE UNOPENED. THANKYPU

.....this all now becomes part of the "contract" and if upon inspection the packs have been opened and resealed, and the cards are not in the presumed condition they should be in based on the photos and the seller's statement that the packs are unopened, then the buyer is under no obligation to give him any money.

stevek - attorney at cardlaw
  • Options
    stevek - attorney at cardlaw

And if he rebukes we could also sic Perry on him too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm the winning bidder and I'm there inspecting the packs, I tear open a few packs picked at random to inspect the merchandise...if it's genuine I hand him the money...if it's not then he doesn't get the money.

LOL, Yeah, Stevek, I'm sure he'll let the buyer "rip open a few packs" before handing over the money! image

Edit:

Q: can the item be picked up , do you guarantee they have never been opened? thanks Mar-28-07
    A: yes u can pick up and yes they have not been opened that i can see ..

The answer to that question is very craftily worded and very telling, IMO. He's really not willing to guarantee that this box is unopened, but just that the packs "have not been opened as far as he can see". That answer does not inspire much confidence, IMO. Usually when a seller is that vague there is a reason behind it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Where did he get them?

I used to close pin cards that old to my bicycle spokes long ago. I think I'll go beat my head on the brick wall again.
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

<< <i>Where did he get them?

I used to close pin cards that old to my bicycle spokes long ago. I think I'll go beat my head on the brick wall again. >>

Without doing too much complicated math and computing various card values, basically a lousy $100 investment back in the mid-60s in new baseball cards, and stored to keep them in pristine condition, would equal $1,000,000 today. Yes, buying a hundred bucks in cards would have made anyone a millionaire.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Him: NO I want u to be undersusspence >>

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    SteveK

lol The only problem is that 100.00 back in 1964 was prolly 2 weeks pay for the average working guy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SteveK

lol The only problem is that 100.00 back in 1964 was prolly 2 weeks pay for the average working guy.

Steve >>

Turning $100 in 1964 into $1,000,000 in 2007 requires about a 24% rate of return. I'd find a way to invest *way* more than two weeks pay if I was going to get 24%.
  • Options

<< <i>SteveK

Steve >>

That's true - of course the bigger "problem" was that nobody and I do mean nobody back in 1964 thought these 1 cent retail pieces of kid's cardboard would ever really be worth anything significant. The people who fortunately kept their cards in pristine condition, did do for the love of the hobby, and just got lucky, rather than from any investment standpoint. Back then the collectables investment money was being placed heavily in coins, stamps and other things, definitely not in cards.

I remember going to flea markets in the Philly - Bucks County-Central Jersey area even in the mid-late 70's, and t-206 and t-205 cards, basically in G to VG condition were selling for a buck apiece and "nobody" was buying them. I enjoyed going to these flea markets once or twice a month during the summer and these same cards would sit there in the box all summer - I know because I'd occasionally pick through the boxes and the same cards were always in there but I was hoping once in awhile there might be some new cards placed in there, maybe a Cobb which I would have bought, but there were always commons which didn't interest me at the time.

Also nobody could envision the way slabbed cards has played out. I've read articles written back in the 70's by baseball card experts which stated that card condition would be important in future values, but nobody thought there could possibly be such major differences between a pristine card with 4 razor sharp corners and a card with 3 razor sharp corners and one slightly touched corner. LOL

• Options
    I agree with you somewhat. I know of at least 4 guys that would put away cases of cards from each year going back into the 50's. Around 1985'sh they began to break them out.

Every hobby had some investors/collectors with forsight. Saying no one is just not true.

Yes the hobby has come along way since the 70's but I also knew another guy that collected in the 30's and kept his cards pristine knowing that one day they would be more valuable.

One reason IMO why vinatge cards are so valuable today is simply the majority of people that collected them lost them in one way or another.

edited to add: This box could have been 'saved' inadvertantly by a store owner and sat in a basement for 40 years. My landlord when i had my store had a cellar full of 'junk' like original hoola hoops and such that he tried to sell or from contents of stores that he rented out and the proprietors left. This guy owned 6 or 7 storefronts in town here and would never throw anything out. It is in this way that many items survived.

The stuff is out there and this box proves it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Let me throw this pearl of wisdom out there.....

Anything that appears to be TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

usually is.
  • Options
    Goose I agree, one thing we know for sure is that this guy is not being up front about this box. if I was selling this box i would have listed every card that was in it. I would not have said 'undersusspence' like this idiot. I probably would not have sold it on ebay. This box belongs in a mastro type auction.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    I get a bad feeling just reading the auction and that feeling gets even worse when I read the replies to genuine questions posed of him.

What kind of clown, if they are going to dodge questions, makes them VISIBLE on the auction!

I think someone is going to get Hosed bigtime on this one.

At the very least, he would list a few of the "Stars" that he could see. Doing so would only HELP the listing. The weird shroud of secrecy is a Giant RED FLAG.

That and I never bid on an auction that's written in "Toddler".
  • Options
    I think this is probably the guy:

ajglass website

With over 9,000 ebay feedback, certainly this guy is no secret, yet he seems to try to remain "secretive" for whatever reason. I couldn't see any contact information on his website as far as where he is located, and I did a whois domain name search and the address information is blocked out. Makes it all the more intriguing in a way. Maybe it's a con of him pretending to be some quirky, bigtime, "deviant" art dealer who doesn't care if the item sells for 20K and somebody else makes another 20K off it.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of the comments, but if I had an extra $20k and lived within easy driving distance of him, I might take a shot with this...again...strictly doing what I stated previously. I still don't think it's an "automatic" scam here.

Steve
  • Options
    Watching this auction is like watching this:

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    His use of commas is funny.

Lee
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>SteveK

Steve >>

Turning $100 in 1964 into $1,000,000 in 2007 requires about a 24% rate of return. I'd find a way to invest *way* more than two weeks pay if I was going to get 24%. >>

Oh how I miss the .com boom days image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Where did he get them?

I used to close pin cards that old to my bicycle spokes long ago. I think I'll go beat my head on the brick wall again. >>

I sold off all my gold coins when gold hit 128 an ounce. Still beating my head on the brick wall.
  • Options
    128 oz for gold? when was that 1978?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Just spotted this important news information from a well respected Hollywood California investment website. Turns out some guy shooting at a rabbit, discovered oil on his property when the bullet, which missed the rabbit, hit the ground and oil started gushing out. Perhaps this is a key to wealth.

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
    A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
    Then one day he was shootin at some food,
    And up through the ground came a bubblin' crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol' Jed's a millionaire,
    Kinfolk said Jed move away from there
    Said Californy is the place you ought to be
    So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is.
    Swimmin pools, movie stars.

• Options
    Q: What year are these from? Mar-31-07

A: HI WE REALLY DO NOT NO I SEE NO DATE ON BOX, THANKU

Geez, how this box and this idiot came together is beyond me.

18k...........................This guy must be living with the angels.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Wouldn't it be in the sellers best interest to add a scan of a pack in which you can see a Mantle or other HOFer?

Wouldn't it bring him more money by confirming the box hasn't been rifled and swapped out with commons back in the day?

Just a thought.

Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    digdugdigdug Posts: 216 ✭✭
    His use of the English language makes me throw up in my mouth.
    I would like to see of picture of these people to put everything in perspective
  • Options
    This appears to have flown right over his 'head'

Q: Hello, great item..i can see that one pack has a ken johnson in it if i bid high and win this item i wont have a handful of johnson? will i ? Apr-01-07
    A: HI ALL I WILL SAY IS U SHOULD BE VERY HAPPY WITH THIS LOT .. THANKU AJGLASS

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>128 oz for gold? when was that 1978?

Steve >>

1975 or 76 if my memory serves me right started buying gold at 40 to 85 an ounce in 72 sold it all before the boom in 79 & 80.
    excuse me for awhile have a brick wall to visit. image
  • Options
    over 20,000.00.

• Options
    I'm waiting for the seller to add a picture of Manny Ramirez standing next to the box of packs.

Arthur
  • Options
    Even if they were legit, are they worth $200 each? I guess it would depend on the players, but let's just assume it's la completely random assortment.

Lee
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like shill bids. Two guys are just pushing it up everyday. Who would bid on this item well bf its over. Doesnt look right
  • Options

<< <i>Even if they were legit, are they worth $200 each? I guess it would depend on the players, but let's just assume it's la completely random assortment.

Lee >>

Lee, from what I understand these packs just simply don't surface. Unless I'm mistaken, the last few have sold for around $600 each and that was for commons. If legit, this is easily a 50K lot.

Arthur
  • Options
    Exactly Art, so why in the world is this nitwit keeping everything so secretive?

If he had any smarts he would have listed something like:

From a quick view I see that every player is well represented from this set. or something to that effect.

POT LUCK my johnson.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve,

If we're working under the assumption that this lot is legit I truly believe this seller had no idea what they had when they listed it. When the offers started flooding in they were just in way to far over their heads. If legit, this seller should've closed the auction and taken it to an auction house. I think they're so excited to see what they're getting for offers they're like a deer in headlights -- afraid that anything they change now could affect their gold mine.

I think we're dealing with a mouth-breather here.

Arthur
  • Options
    beach64beach64 Posts: 218 ✭✭
    By the looks of his other auctions, these are what he says (tag sale garage sale find). Trains, magazines vases etc. If he had no clue what they were why would he take off ebay and list at an auction house? I would think if he had no clue he wouldnt know who the auction houses are that sell cards. (google baseball card auctions and see how poorly the large houses place themselves on the internet) Also if he didnt know what they were why pull off from an auction that is this high already?

Now looking at old auctions that closed prior to this, his descriptions change from poor grammar like this listing to readable English. Some appear to be copied descriptions from other auctions as well. Also there was a zip code 06770 mentioned to pick up a meat slicer in one auction.

The mystery goes on and on.
  • Options
    ,HI BIDDERS HERE WE GO AGAIN THIS IS MY LAST ONE I AM SELLING ON EBAY.. U GET ALL U SEE BUT U DO NOT GET THE WHITE PUSH MALLET.. THIS IS A TOR-REY #22 COMMERCIAL MEAT GRINDER M22R TORREY Tor-Rey model M-22-R1 meat grinder This is an open bowl grinder with stainless steel cabinet and pan, long life steel gear transmission, dip tin plated cast iron grinding head powerfull 1 HP 110 volt Motor.. IN LIKE NEW CONDITION AND WORKS LIKE NEW TWO.. JUST WILL NEED A LIGHT CLEANING, ., WE WILL FULLY STAND BEHIND THIS MACHINES ....Buyer pays AND MAKES ALL ARANGEMENTS FOR CURBSIDE SHIPPING OF THIS MACHINE,........,WEIGHT ABOUT 250 POUNDS,, ,,,,,,,,,Attention-...THERE WILL BE A $45....SKIDING CHARGE SO THAT THE MACHINE WILL BE SKIDED AND WRAP 4 U YOUR SHIPPER PLEASE contack ;;;;;; ..contactus@freightquote.com...... FOR SHIPPING QUOTES,,...OR U CAN PICK UP HERE IN CT...THE MACHINE IS at CT ZIP.........06770 OR U CAN PICK UP... THANKYOU

06770 is in Connecticut
  • Options
    And I was just about to say this f*ing guy sells everything but commercial meat grinders.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Geez, how this box and this idiot came together is beyond me.

Steve >>

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I know i was set up at a show in 1992 and this (guy/uninformed/didnot know what the heck he had) walks up to my table and says do you buy cards my reply yes. do you pay cash my reply yes. He hands bag over it has 8 boxes of unopened 1976 topps baseball , I about fell over, got looking not all the boxes were full, started counting packs and filling up the boxes total 7 boxes and 11 packs. packs were clean, boxes a little rough, offered 3000.00 and he took it, made the show for me at the time boxes were going for around 700-800 each. After I bought them I asked him how did you come across these ? his answer was his uncle had owned a mom & pop corner grocery store and these were in the basement. He had no clue what they were worth and what was funny was I was about the 7th or 8 th dealer he had approached and my offer was the best by 1000 dollars . Yes I have since sold all the boxes and packs kept two of the empty boxes (just for display here is one of them.image

So who knows maybe this guy is caught in the headlights like a deer (maybe not), I know if I had a rare meat grinder , I would not know how to price it or even which auction house I should look for. I know the guy that sold me the 76 topps BB boxes looked real dazed and confused even when I was counting out the money.
  • Options
    answer was his uncle had owned a mom & pop corner grocery store

That is where the best stuff is found. In the basements of those establishments.

That and tag sales..................

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>answer was his uncle had owned a mom & pop corner grocery store

That is where the best stuff is found. In the basements of those establishments.

And don't forget old and crazy candy distributors, plus some pack rats (2 legged that is).

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Did anyone try saving his pics on their comp. and then try zooming in? I tried and thought I was seeing a player image, but I am not familiar with the set enough to tell who or what it was.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    $25,233. Amazing if it is a legitimate "tag sale" find.
  • Options
    YES THANKU,,,,,,,TAG SALE!!!!!!
  • Options
    winning bidder: thecelebrant (526)
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The winner would find this thread ammusing.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>answer was his uncle had owned a mom & pop corner grocery store

Steve >>

Good point, the last house we bought in East Boston was a variety store, tons of old moxie, coke, and 6 gallon bottles. no cards to be found though, we did find a crawl space underneath the old toilet, and there was a large "support our troops" poster with a woman nurse from probably the 40's, pretty damaged though
  • Options
    Buyer appears as though he's strictly a collector, so we may never know the end result of this drama.