Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

WOW - full box of 1964 Topps Stand Ups - 120 packs!!!

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry: Example - I'm about to list something on ebay which "might" sell for about 5K maybe 10K or more - I'm not sure. It's not sportscard related. I'm going to do it basically the same way - I'll answer e-mail questions about it, but I don't need countless people coming to my house "inspecting" the item and wasting my time, etc. It's interesting that I have found over the years on ebay that the people who ask for more scans and further information on my sportscard auctions very rarely windup the winning bidder - almost never. They don't even bid usually. Like these people who constantly shop for cars and such and never buy, they probably do the same dam thing on ebay - waste the seller's time!

I'm also going to state that the winning bidder is more than welcome to come to my home and inspect the item before giving me payment. So everything the seller is doing here just makes sense to me.

Steve
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry: Example - I'm about to list something on ebay which "might" sell for about 5K maybe 10K or more - I'm not sure. It's not sportscard related. I'm going to do it basically the same way - I'll answer e-mail questions about it, but I don't need countless people coming to my house "inspecting" the item and wasting my time, etc. It's interesting that I have found over the years on ebay that the people who ask for more scans and further information on my sportscard auctions very rarely windup the winning bidder - almost never. They don't even bid usually. Like these people who constantly shop for cars and such and never buy, they probably do the same dam thing on ebay - waste the seller's time!

I'm also going to state that the winning bidder is more than welcome to come to my home and inspect the item before giving me payment. So everything the seller is doing here just makes sense to me.

Steve, I do understand what you're saying. Truly I do. And if the seller does permit the buyer to inspect the product before making his payment, I believe that would be more than fair. What I'm saying though is that given the seller's admitted lack of knowledge about cards and such an unopened box like this one, well, I'd personally be very wary about purchasing this box without seeing it or inspecting it first. That's all I'm saying, man. That this is quite a large sum to entrust to a guy who doesn't know anything about cards and has no background info on where this box originated from. I'd hope the winner of this auction will take up the offer to inspect the box beforehand. I know I would, if it were me. And that's pretty much all I have to say on the subject.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Maybe the seller can use the money from this sale to get some english lessons,

he talk not good words in 'dis tag sale card bored sell.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    This isn't some stupid phony T-206 Wagner here, which some rich lawyer's wife knows is popular and wants to buy for her rich husband and if it's fake, they'd have a good laugh about it and the lawyer would simply next month overbill some of his clients the 10K

how the helI do the lawyers get involved in this thread? Jesus, give us a break, already. Use the plumber or electrician option next time, lord knows I have been overbilled by them plenty times.

It makes no sense that this guy would intentionally not give out info that would help bidders and in all probabiliity increase the sale price. That chance is much too great for me. And yes you can see thru the wrapper. Look closely at the pack that he has a close up of. It is of a pitcher, cannot make out the name, tho. The seller is no babe in the woods...knows exactly what he is doing. Which tells me if the box is legit, you are not finding any stars in that box.

Realistically, the value has got to be in the unopened state, assuming no stars of course. So what will each pack go for, assuming slabbed as authentic? $250? Is that worth the gamble?

<< <i>This isn't some stupid phony T-206 Wagner here, which some rich lawyer's wife knows is popular and wants to buy for her rich husband and if it's fake, they'd have a good laugh about it and the lawyer would simply next month overbill some of his clients the 10K

how the helI do the lawyers get involved in this thread? Jesus, give us a break, already. Use the plumber or electrician option next time, lord knows I have been overbilled by them plenty times.

It makes no sense that this guy would intentionally not give out info that would help bidders and in all probabiliity increase the sale price. That chance is much too great for me. And yes you can see thru the wrapper. Look closely at the pack that he has a close up of. It is of a pitcher, cannot make out the name, tho. The seller is no babe in the woods...knows exactly what he is doing. Which tells me if the box is legit, you are not finding any stars in that box.

Realistically, the value has got to be in the unopened state, assuming no stars of course. So what will each pack go for, assuming slabbed as authentic? $250? Is that worth the gamble? >>

<<<<< It is of a pitcher, cannot make out the name, tho. >>>>>

This was already mentioned in another post here.

"The pack he shows has a Ken Johnson Houston Colts in it. The item looks legit, but if the guy has a friend these would be easy to cherry pick...."
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I like unopened packs for the mystery of what is inside. I have one of these 64 Stand Up penny packs and there is no mystery, which I think decreases it's value to me. They remind me of the 1960 Topps "unopened" Tattoo packs . Now if a 5 cent pack would come up, that would be another story.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • beach64beach64 Posts: 218 ✭✭
    If a person was to inspect this prior to purchase and if the cards are easily seen through the wrapper wouldnt that be the same as searching the box?

• << <i>If a person was to inspect this prior to purchase and if the cards are easily seen through the wrapper wouldnt that be the same as searching the box? >>

No more than GAI grading a wax pack with "1979 Topps- O Smith B" on it....
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If a person was to inspect this prior to purchase and if the cards are easily seen through the wrapper wouldnt that be the same as searching the box?

Yes it would. However, if a quick search is allowed and stars are shown to be in the box then I as the seller would say 'have you seen enuff'?

This seller, knowing that you can see what is in each pack should have listed the cards.
    Or at the very least could have mentioned that it is a box that has stars, semi stars and commons a nice mix. His use of the laguage as noted is lacking though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I think if the box had 115 or 109 of the 10 packs they could have been cherry picked, unless 20 or so stars were resealed with commons. image

<< <i>If a person was to inspect this prior to purchase and if the cards are easily seen through the wrapper wouldnt that be the same as searching the box?

Yes it would. However, if a quick search is allowed and stars are shown to be in the box then I as the seller would say 'have you seen enuff'?

This seller, knowing that you can see what is in each pack should have listed the cards.
    Or at the very least could have mentioned that it is a box that has stars, semi stars and commons a nice mix. His use of the laguage as noted is lacking though.

Steve >>

Excellent point.

If I'm the winning bidder, living in easy driving distance of Connecticut, and therefore willing to pickup the box, here's what I say to the guy upon arriving. "I bid on 120 different packs, I expect all packs to be genuine therefore I'm going to inspect each pack before giving you the money." If he don't agree to that then F* him. I'm not handing somebody 12 to 20K without carefully inspecting the merchandise.

I'm gonna place my bid presuming they are all commons, and if upon inspection there are star cards in there, then that would be fantastic. If the packs are genuine and in top condition - then I hand him the money. If the packs are not in top condition, then I walk away and boo-hoo I get a neg. So what!

Steve
    For those guys that think if the box is all commons or searched and then resealed I can give another scenario. The box was searched long ago when the person doing the searching had more then 1 box. No need to reseal anything, just a simple switch. If you can see through them now you could also see thru them then.

In any event this guy is going to leave money on the table.

But, we have no idea what he has in them either. Items from tag sales can be way cheap. Suppose he has 100.00 into them.

It would not surprise me if he ends the auction early and not sell it at this time.

So many people have been bombarding him with questions telling him they will pay thousands that by now that surely has sunk in.

And don't think that guys like Steve at the BBCX do not know about this auction.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I would be extremely leery here. It seems genuine--and the seller's poor grammar may be part of the charm if it's an older person but his refusal to even consider assisting bidders sends up a huge red flag at anything less than a pedestrian bid. For someone living close by who could actually stop by to inspect the box, it has to be enormously frustrating not to have the opportunity to do that.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    here's an update for some of you...

I received an email late last evening from someone that apparently lurks here and got my email from my registry set, linked below. I've copied and posted it just as I got it except for a word I had to "bleep".

FYI---

I inspected these in person-- PARAFFIN RESEALED and this seller is full of BLEEP on who he purchased from-- he wouldnt look me in the eye when I probed .

I do not particpate onthe PSA message boards--- please warn people this seller is not to be trusted on that item.
    Goose

It could also be someone that wants others to be swayed from bidding. Just a thought.

Steve
    Good for you.
    In any event, it appears that some concern is defintely warranted.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Goose

It could also be someone that wants others to be swayed from bidding. Just a thought.

Steve >>

I agree and thought as much.

I really don't give a crap. I don't have the jack to drop for the equivalent of a very expensive lotto ticket.image

<< <i>here's an update for some of you...

I received an email late last evening from someone that apparently lurks here and got my email from my registry set, linked below. I've copied and posted it just as I got it except for a word I had to "bleep".

FYI---

I inspected these in person-- PARAFFIN RESEALED and this seller is full of BLEEP on who he purchased from-- he wouldnt look me in the eye when I probed .

I do not particpate onthe PSA message boards--- please warn people this seller is not to be trusted on that item. >>

Maybe the tag-sale was at the home of 80sJunkie?
    Over 15K now.
    you would think that people would wait now and see how it goes and then snipe.

15k, is alot of dough and could be a screw job waiting to happen.

If i find something like that I'd get steve at the bbcx to move it for me.

he has the following to move such an item.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i could move it..

26th street is a really great place to sell anything. (damb english language!)

julen
    RIP GURU
  • i asked him if the gum is on the front or back and if the gum was broken
    this was his reply
    HI WHERE THE GUM IS I AM NOT SAYING RIGHT NOW THEY ARE IN THE BANK VAULT RIGHT NOW, AS FAR AS BROKEN GUM I DO NOT NO IF ANY ARE BROKEN OR NOT THANKU
    i asked to name the players in the packs and he said he could see them but wont tell anyone
    This box appears to be the same one that was in a recent auction without the packs
    my guess is you will not find any mantles koufax or aarons
    just commons that have been resealed in packs
    so good luck to the winner, and congrats to the seller if its real or fake hes making a ton of money
    SteveK, Do you still feel as confident about this auction as you did last night?

<< <i>SteveK, Do you still feel as confident about this auction as you did last night? >>

Definitely not - now there's more information available. That's one reason I enjoy this board so much.

Frankly this reply from the seller....... "HI WHERE THE GUM IS I AM NOT SAYING RIGHT NOW THEY ARE IN THE BANK VAULT RIGHT NOW, AS FAR AS BROKEN GUM I DO NOT NO IF ANY ARE BROKEN OR NOT THANKU
    i asked to name the players in the packs and he said he could see them but wont tell anyone".......is irritating. image
    This box had major issues from the get-go, IMO. For the buyer's sake, I hope the winner will inspect before forking over that wad of cash.

• Seems like insane pricing without allowing anybody to confirm the fact that the packs haven't been tampered with. Another huge red flag is that he's unwilling to disclose the players included which are very easy to determine through the wrapper.
    I agree too many red flags. This guy is not acting like a person that wants to get top dollar for an item.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree too many red flags. This guy is not acting like a person that wants to get top dollar for an item.

Steve >>

Well its either that or the seller is just 100% clueless ..... somebody who does not know the nature of unopened vintage packs, boxes, etc he or she is selling might feel harassed and a bit taken back by so many people contacting them with very specific questions about the item.

No excuse for them but either this seller is a big time a$$hole or somebody to feel sorry for image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• << <i>how the helI do the lawyers get involved in this thread? Use the plumber or electrician option next time, lord knows I have been overbilled by them plenty times. >>

Yes, but they actually performed work prior to the over billing. image
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Buyer: "Hello, I plan on spending enough money to buy 2 new cars on a box of sportscards that I can't look at in person. Could you tell me something about them? Anything at all?"

Seller: "Hi no thanks. tag sale."
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Say there, do ya think I could check out a few of those Stand Ups packs?

Hi there, no thanks, tag sale!!!

• Somebody local should bid on one of his low priced auctions ending today. The buyer would then have his address and would then be able to inquire about picking up that package. In the process he/she could potentially get a peek at the box. Just an idea. image
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone asked Steve Hart his opinion on this box?
    His answer to a question regarding listing the players since it is known that one can see who is in each pack:

SINCE U NO WE CAN DO THAT.. WHY WOULD WE DO THAT AND TAKE ALL THE FUN OUT OF THE BIDDING.. WE WILL NOT BE LISTING ANY PLAYERS OR ANY MORE INFO ON THIS LOT . BUT I THINK THE HIGH BIDDER IS GOING TO BE VERY HAPPY WITH THIS LOT 4 SURE , GOOD LUCK TO U AND THANKU . AJGLASS

If anything his use of the language has improved.

Oh I dunno why he would do that? perhaps to get top dollar for his item?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    You can't even tell me a few of the players in those packs? You do know that I am the most powerful man in the world right? How about if I trade you a fully operational thermonuclear device and a couple of goats?

No players, thank you, TAG SALE!!!!!

• beach64beach64 Posts: 218 ✭✭
    How many that are whining about his non answers are actually potential bidders? I think like someone said earlier, many who ask more questions for scans etc never bid they are just looking. For those that are serious ask him if he will meet certain conditions. If he says no or doesnt answer, DONT BID. If his listing doesnt answer what you need again dont bid. But some are acting like these answers must be made known or the world will end.

To me this would make up my mind
    17600 no returns as is, 11.50 shipping and handling

<< <i>

<< <i>This isn't some stupid phony T-206 Wagner here, which some rich lawyer's wife knows is popular and wants to buy for her rich husband and if it's fake, they'd have a good laugh about it and the lawyer would simply next month overbill some of his clients the 10K

Realistically, the value has got to be in the unopened state, assuming no stars of course. So what will each pack go for, assuming slabbed as authentic? $250? Is that worth the gamble? >>

<<<<< It is of a pitcher, cannot make out the name, tho. >>>>>

This was already mentioned in another post here.

"The pack he shows has a Ken Johnson Houston Colts in it. The item looks legit, but if the guy has a friend these would be easy to cherry pick...." >>

Maybe it's 120 packs of Ken Johnson?
  • Maybe it's 120 packs of Ken Johnson?

Good for you Beach, others may be more inquisitive.

perhaps people would like answers especially when they may bid thousands of dollars.

You are right about the world not ending though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    My Prediction.............................

"Some kinda scamarama goin' on here."

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.

<< <i>Maybe it's 120 packs of Ken Johnson?

image >>

Now at 18K - that would be $150 a Johnson.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>How many that are whining about his non answers are actually potential bidders? I think like someone said earlier, many who ask more questions for scans etc never bid they are just looking. For those that are serious ask him if he will meet certain conditions. If he says no or doesnt answer, DONT BID. If his listing doesnt answer what you need again dont bid. But some are acting like these answers must be made known or the world will end.

To me this would make up my mind
    17600 no returns as is, 11.50 shipping and handling >>

Anyone who bids 20 grand on an item being sold by a seller who uses the letter 'u' instead of the word 'you' in his responses to questions regarding the item needs their freaking head checked. P.T.Barnum, were he still alive, would probably print off a copy of this auction page once it goes final, frame it and hang it in his office.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I think I'm going to start answering every question I don't feel like answering like this guy:

"What are you thinking?"- Tag sale.
    "How many gin and tonics have you had?"- Yes. Tag sale.
    "Sir, it's last call. Could you please pay your tab?"- No. Tag sale.
    "Your credit card has been declined. Do you have another one?"- Thank u. Tag sale.
  • I agree with you Boopotts. It's mind boggling that anybody with any sense would bid on this auction. A big-time risk!!!

Nobody has even considered the possibility of the auction being shilled up to this point. The high bidder has fewer than 50 feedbacks.
    Holy chit - over 10K.

That quickly tells me:

1. it is legit
    2. he has alerted card dealers to this who were allowed to look at it and are bidding accordingly.
    3. with all his feedback - he's probably had some baseball card lots before, and satisfied buyers who also know of this auction
    4. there's gotta be some star cards in there

Hey Stevek, looks like you may have been a tad premature with those assertions the other night, huh? image

• This is the best line in the description, one of my all-time favorites!!

THESES WILL BE SOLD AS ARE AND NO RETURNS, BECAUSE OF PEOPLE TRYING TO KEEP THE GOOD ONES AND TRYING TO RETUNE THE NOT SO GOOD ONES..
    Nobody has even considered the possibility of the auction being shilled up to this point.

That's cuz it goes w/o saying. This auction has enough baggage.

One bidder, number 8 I believe has done nothing but run this item up.

Yes, I bet many here have followed the bidding.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I don't think shilling is a major concern at this point since -- if legitimate -- this lot is worth at least double what the bidding is currently at.

Arthur
    Yup.

However bidder number 8 keeps running it up nontheless.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • anyone on this forum who bids and wins this item, please don't post a thread asking us what you should do after you find out you got hosed.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set