Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

WOW - full box of 1964 Topps Stand Ups - 120 packs!!!

......is this for real? Seller seems to have problems with the english language and states that all sales are final...but look at those pictures - WOW.
"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult

Comments

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Thats one SWEET box of cards...if its on the level.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    yes very interesting. i am going to contact the seller and ask if I can see the items in person as I am not too far away. I will let you know what he/she syays.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    VERY cool!

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Not worth the risk; UNLESS, the packs are first examined
    by the expert(s).
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • a legit seller apparently.
    legit item? who knows. he isnt selling any other sports cards...
    curious to how it was acquired.
    how many cards per pack?

also you can clearly see the top card if you press on the packs;
  • colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Looks legit, but this seller is a moron when it comes to spelling, kind of reminds me of the mayor of 84 mcgwires spelling.
  • Awesome if it is for real The seller has 9k+ feedback @99.8% but he can't put together a complete sentence or spell correctly. Hooked on phonics did not work for him, but he does seem to be a legit seller at first glance. image
  • The pack he shows has a Ken Johnson Houston Colts in it. The item looks legit, but if the guy has a friend these would be easy to cherry pick....
  • ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Still, this makes you wonder how many "finds" there are out there. The eBay description was poorly composed and it's clear tha the seller doesn't realize the significance of this box.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    wow, those are nice. I hope whoever wins it puts the box up for auction, as well as a few packs.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Nicely resealed.
    Can't wait to buy this Box.
    My snipe is $5000.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. I'm a big fan of the set (and I'll use this as an excuse to show of my two examples...)

imageimage

(the ST qualifier is for a wax stain on the back. Great looking card, though!)
  • spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    120 cards if not ragged must be worth something as well as the box and wrappers.Flatfoot, keep us informed on this ebay seller.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    If there is only one card per pack don't they all have wax stains on the back?

Lee
  • Modern Collector:

We love to buy resealed packs.
  • so its confirmed, only one per pack?
    if so, they would all have stains on them?
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nicely resealed.
    Can't wait to buy this Box.
    My snipe is $5000. >>

No Mcgwires in that set.

Thank you
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q: can the item be picked up , do you guarantee they have never been opened? thanks Mar-28-07
    A: yes u can pick up and yes they have not been opened that i can see ..

Looks legit. But for sure...this seller is no "babe in the woods" - he knows exactly what he has there.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    on the up & up to me, picking up adds new dimension of honesty, or physical violence depending on which way the wind is blowing i suppse.

keyboarding is such an invaluable bullet to have in the skill set btw.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Bobba....I have one unopened pack. Good question
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    my Qs to seller--let's see how he wiggles around the answers

Good Morning--that '64 Stand Up box looks nice and I am interested. Before I spend big bucks, can I ask a few questions:
    1. Where in Ct. are you? I am close and would like to see the box in person.
    2. Where did you get this box? I have been collecting for years and have never heard of an unopened box before
    3. Will you guarantee the box if the packs are sent for grading and come back as not authentic?

Thanks--
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭
    Not all the cards in this set have wax stains -It gets me wondering why some have stains and others dont if it was one card to a pack? I am working on the set 62/77 cards complete-looking for some psa 7 cards-if you have any to sell please let me know Scott
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Just because they are 1 to a pack does not nessesarily mean that they will have wax stains. Some may some may not. And the degree will vary also. What bothers me is that from what i have heard these packs can be searched and he claims that he has no idea about that. maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

Guy claims he found it at a tag sale if I read him right.

He will not say where he is until the auction is over and the winner will be notified.

this guy really lucked out.

he has some other items that one would find at an estate type tag sale.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my Qs to seller--let's see how he wiggles around the answers

Good Morning--that '64 Stand Up box looks nice and I am interested. Before I spend big bucks, can I ask a few questions:
    1. Where in Ct. are you? I am close and would like to see the box in person.
    2. Where did you get this box? I have been collecting for years and have never heard of an unopened box before
    3. Will you guarantee the box if the packs are sent for grading and come back as not authentic?

Thanks-- >>

You already should know the answers. He did say that buying it was pure "pot look" because people would "retune theses" which they don't want. So what is the problem here??
    If this guy truly knew what he had wouldn't it have been wise to send these packs in for grading and then sell thru an auction house like mastro or someone like that? selling on ebay he may leave lotsa dough on the table.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    What is a "Tag Sale"?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
    A tag sale is a homeowner puts out on the front lawn stuff and sells it. Prices are tagged on each item. Another name would be a garage sale.

Steve
    Good for you.
    sellers' response to my Qs...and yes I did know he would say this. Caveat Emptor if you are thinking about buying it.

hi they will be sold as stated . if u win we will let u no where we are . box and cards will be sold as stated in ad , .. we got the box as stated at a tag sale,, thanku ajglass
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not all the cards in this set have wax stains -It gets me wondering why some have stains and others dont if it was one card to a pack? I am working on the set 62/77 cards complete-looking for some psa 7 cards-if you have any to sell please let me know Scott >>

The '64 Stand-Ups were also issued in nickel packs containing five cards. Even if every card in contact with gum ended up stained (unlikely), you'd still get four out of the five cards in a nickel pack without the stain.
  • My guess is that they're legit. The box and 50 wrappers dont come up for sale everyday.

But maybe the stars have been taken out, who knows. This will be interesting to watch.
    Since it is a known fact that you can see thru the packs would it not be in the sellers interest to mention what the cards are? Can you imagine 5 Aarons, 5 Clemente, etc etc etc .

he acknolowedges that people can do this yet is keeping it a secret?

I'm thinking that many of the stars are long gone. but who knows for sure?

Yes they also came in nickel packs and those cards would be wax free. i was under the assumption that the question was regarding the penny packs and like bowman from the early 50's not all have wax stains. (those from 1 cent packs)

Steve
    Good for you.
    Let say the box was searched...who ever searched it would have to put back into the packs NR-MT cards that truely show no signs of usually wear that is common with storing and handleing these cards-so you should be guarentteed at least 120 commons in psa 7,8 and 9....centering and miss cut cards may be a problem.The commons go for about 10 to 30 dollars in psa 7....so 20 dollars on average for nice commons X 120 cards = is 2400 dollars.....it already up over 3000 dollars...Iam not sure what psa 8 commons go for....I would guess 40 to 80 dollars and over 100 for the single prints

Now wouldnt you be pissed if you won the auction and it was all commons.....if so you know that the packs where searched.....and what if the cards showed wear ? A true sign of the packs being searched, and the stars where replaced with commons.....In no way am I implying that the packs have been searched, but I think when the auction went over the 2400 dollar mark it get pretty risky....

I think it is a lot of trouble/work (and low) to search packs and resell (uI think we would all agrre its wrong)-this is probably a legit box...but who knows.....what I hope is that whoever wins opens the packs and gets them graded and they show up on ebay.....I need a couple more for my set

What a great issue...It is one of my favorite sets of the 60s.....the graphics, colors, set size, single prints, semi stars and super stars, and the die cut punch out...what more could you ask for in a set ? I which Maris would have been included in this set.....and to bad Pete Rose wasnt included...I know it was his second season but..... Scott
  • The thing that I don't get is, where would you get 120 wrappers and a display box from?

The condition of both is very consistent. It's not like the display box is damaged and banged up, while the packs are pristine. Or some of the packs are moldy/damaged and others are perfect. It's all uniform and looks very believable.

Up to $10k, and he didn't even use the best title.

Actually, look at what else he's selling. Old toy pistols and stuff from the 50's in the original boxes. Just a hodgepodge of stuff.
    I agree I was thinking all the packs and wrappers look them same.I would love to open 120 packs of stand ups.
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Dang it! Why can't I find cool stuff at a yard sale?
    Those cap guns of his are cool!
  • It has every appearance if being legit with the exception of the sellers spelling and sentence structure.

$10,000++ is an awful lot of money if searched. Quite the gamble!! image
    Holy chit - over 10K.

That quickly tells me:

1. it is legit
    2. he has alerted card dealers to this who were allowed to look at it and are bidding accordingly.
    3. with all his feedback - he's probably had some baseball card lots before, and satisfied buyers who also know of this auction
    4. there's gotta be some star cards in there

It's too late to organize this but this is the type of situation that I would like to have a rip with. Say it sells for 10K - have say twenty guys putting $500 apiece into it. Somebody living in the area of the dealer can pick it up and verify it's legit, and we could distribute the cards accordingly as to value. For example I might take ten common packs over a star card pack and vice versa - cause you can see the cards thru these packs - just saying valuewise that might be about the same. This to me would be an ultra intriguing rip, not the boring chit gotten from some established card dealer. The cards could be shipped to a trusted guy such as Stone or perhaps a lawyer on the board here (lawyer's are supposed to be truthworthy, right? - LOL) could handle it.

This could even be done on a profit basis - say up front we agree to send all the unopened packs to PSA and list on ebay, or rip all of them, send to PSA and list on ebay or an auction house...just some food for thought. Or under supervision from two or three members here, or a notary public (they work cheap) could be a witness if that's what we want, somehow the packs are "pulled out of a hat" and inserted directly into twenty pre-addressed boxes, sealed and mailed by the notary, and sent to the twenty buyers.

Frankly, I have little or no great interest in buying cards from BBCE or any other established dealer - I've already explained my reasons for this on another thread. I mean it doesn't make much sense to me to buy a case of cards that dealers already know the value, or buy some GAI slabbed pack from the 60's in which in my opinion the odds are very high it's a resealed pack. But a buy like this might be a lot of fun as well as possibly quite profitable. I ain't got 10K to take a shot with this but for $500 I'd take a shot at getting some really interesting cards perhaps worth a lot more than $500.

Yes, this guy may very well clearly know the value here as well, he might have opened one or two packs to check them out and carefully resealed it - he knows they're all 7 type cards not 10's...or does he?? - that's the intriguing part.

Steve

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy chit - over 10K.

That quickly tells me:

1. it is legit
    2. he has alerted card dealers to this who were allowed to look at it and are bidding accordingly.
    3. with all his feedback - he's probably had some baseball card lots before, and satisfied buyers who also know of this auction

With all due respect Steve, the fact that the bidding has reached 10K does not necessarily mean that the box is legit, only that there are buyers with deep pockets who are willing to bet that the box is authentic. There's a big difference.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • when its all said and done, this should surpass 20K
  • My bet is whoever wins this is not going to open it worth more unopened. The winner probally gets the packs graded or the the whole box graded, then it hits a big auction house. I think it's time to hit the tag sales. geez what a find,
    Sir how much is that box of cards well it says 1 cent a pack and there are 120 packs and it is old (pause) how about 50 cents a pack, (sound of hand breaking to get the wallet out) ok I'll take the whole box, is that a splint over there I'll take that too for my broken hand LOL
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'll take the baseball cards for $1. Also, will you take $2 for the Alf puzzle and the Lowenbrau sign?

Lee

<< <i> Holy chit - over 10K.

That quickly tells me:

1. it is legit

With all due respect Steve, the fact that the bidding has reached 10K does not necessarily mean that the box is legit, only that there are buyers with deep pockets who are willing to bet that the box is authentic. There's a big difference. >>

Jerry - I feel the chances are excellent that the packs are legit based on all the available information, which includes the bidding price. This isn't some stupid phony T-206 Wagner here, which some rich lawyer's wife knows is popular and wants to buy for her rich husband and if it's fake, they'd have a good laugh about it and the lawyer would simply next month overbill some of his clients the 10K. This is an item which only "hard-core" baseball card collectors such as myself would know the value and be interested in, therefore there's likely to be only very sharp, knowledgeable bidders on this item.

Steve
    Jerry - I feel the chances are excellent that the packs are legit based on all the available information, which includes the bidding price. This isn't some stupid phony T-206 Wagner here, which some rich lawyer's wife knows is popular and wants to buy for her rich husband and if it's fake, they'd have a good laugh about it and the lawyer would simply next month overbill some of his clients the 10K. This is an item which only "hard-core" baseball card collectors such as myself would know the value and be interested in, therefore there's likely to be only very sharp, knowledgeable bidders on this item.

Steve

LOL, Steve, you're a seller's dream--very trusting, very easily convinced, the perfect buyer. Maybe it's just me, but the seller's responses to the "questions for seller" seem a bit evasive to me. I guess I'm just skeptical about the whole tag sale story. And the "bidding price" has absolutely NOTHING to do with the authenticity of the product. As I stated before, that only means that there are buyers out there with deep pockets who are willing to take a gamble and trust that this guy who obviously has little to no background with cards or unopened product of this significance, is on the level. He may very well be. But that's still a big IF, IMHO. As for only "hard core" baseball card collectors being interested in such an item, well, there are plenty of "knowledgeable bidders" out there who buy bogus junk everyday. That's really a comical statement, actually.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    When i said they could be searched I did not mean that they were opened and then resealed. from what i have been told is that you can see thru the wrapper.

As for SteveK being trusting, that is funny. he usually is the cynic. He can spot a scam like no other.

Steve
    Good for you.
    when all is said and done this should reach 20k,

if so he left money on the table.

Steve
    Good for you.
    As for SteveK being trusting, that is funny. he usually is the cynic. He can spot a scam like no other.

Yes, it IS surprising that he's willing to buy this guy's story all the way with no doubt. It's very unlike him. image

Edit: And for the record, I'm not saying that this box is not authentic, just that there is certainly no correlation between the bidding price and the authenticity of the product. I also still think that the seller's answers to the questions that have been posed to him, most of which have sounded very reasonable in nature, is unnecessarily evasive.

<< <i>Jerry - I feel the chances are excellent that the packs are legit based on all the available information, which includes the bidding price. This isn't some stupid phony T-206 Wagner here, which some rich lawyer's wife knows is popular and wants to buy for her rich husband and if it's fake, they'd have a good laugh about it and the lawyer would simply next month overbill some of his clients the 10K. This is an item which only "hard-core" baseball card collectors such as myself would know the value and be interested in, therefore there's likely to be only very sharp, knowledgeable bidders on this item.

Steve

LOL, Steve, you're a seller's dream--very trusting, very easily convinced, the perfect buyer. Maybe it's just me, but the seller's responses to the "questions for seller" seem a bit evasive to me. I guess I'm just skeptical about the whole tag sale story. And the "bidding price" has absolutely NOTHING to do with the authenticity of the product. As I stated before, that only means that there are buyers out there with deep pockets who are willing to take a gamble and trust that this guy who obviously has little to no background with cards or unopened product of this significance, is on the level. He may very well be. But that's still a big IF, IMHO. As for only "hard core" baseball card collectors being interested in such an item, well, there are plenty of "knowledgeable bidders" out there who buy bogus junk everyday. That's really a comical statement, actually. >>

The fact that the seller is willing to allow the winning buyer to inspect the product tells me the item is genuine or at least the seller believes it is genuine. You're the winning bidder, you bring cash to the guy's location, inspect the item, if you like it then hand him the cash, or do a PayPal transaction on his computer, or use a credit card if he accepts credit cards, and then you take the product, or if it's PayPal he has to ship it to you to protect himself on a PayPal transaction. Is that hard to understand Jerry? LOL

Who gives a chit about the tag-sale story if that's how he got the cards or not? All these big sellers on ebay like to tell the "ebay story" on key items which 99% of the time is BS. That doesn't even matter.

<<< there are plenty of "knowledgeable bidders" out there who buy bogus junk everyday. That's really a comical statement, actually.>>>

No, it is you who are being comical. "Knowledgeable bidders" don't buy bogus junk otherwise they wouldn't fit the definition of "knowledgeable bidders" now would they? Think about it for awhile Jerry - You'll eventually figure it out. LOL

Steve

<<< there are plenty of "knowledgeable bidders" out there who buy bogus junk everyday. That's really a comical statement, actually.>>>

No, it is you who are being comical. "Knowledgeable bidders" don't buy bogus junk otherwise they wouldn't fit the definition of "knowledgeable bidders" now would they? Think about it for awhile Jerry - You'll eventually figure it out. LOL

Steve

Perhaps I should have clarified myself: bidders who feel the need to refer to themselves as "knowledgeable" is what I meant.

But hey, whatever, floats your boat, man! You're the "hard-core" collector after all. image

<< <i>As for SteveK being trusting, that is funny. he usually is the cynic. He can spot a scam like no other.

Yes, it IS surprising that he's willing to buy this guy's story all the way with no doubt. It's very unlike him. image

Edit: And for the record, I'm not saying that this box is not authentic, just that there is certainly no correlation between the bidding price and the authenticity of the product. I also still think that the seller's answers to the questions that have been posed to him, most of which have sounded very reasonable in nature, is unnecessarily evasive. >>

I didn't see the above when making my last post. Bottom line - I just think with his willingness to allow the inspection, how can the buyer go wrong? Using PayPal he'll have to ship it to you...so just bring cash or a credit card, inspect it, if it's legit take it, if not what's the worst that can happen...maybe he negs you. So what?

Steve
    I didn't see the above when making my last post. Bottom line - I just think with his willingness to allow the inspection, how can the buyer go wrong? Using PayPal he'll have to ship it to you...so just bring cash or a credit card, inspect it, if it's legit take it, if not what's the worst that can happen...maybe he negs you. So what?

Steve

I will agree with you there. If the buyer is allowed to inspect that product on-site before handing over payment, I'd feel much more confident in that case.