Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

WOW - full box of 1964 Topps Stand Ups - 120 packs!!!

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Jerry Grote15 is in contact with the buyer to warn him about the perils of this box of cards.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    just for the record ,I was the underbidder on this box , the buyer is affiliated with a major auction house so this may not be the last that we have seen of these

• << <i>just for the record ,I was the underbidder on this box , the buyer is affiliated with a major auction house so this may not be the last that we have seen of these >>

You have got to be kidding me. The stuff I've seen in his feedback is nothing like this item. Or even close to it....

<< <i>You have got to be kidding me. The stuff I've seen in his feedback is nothing like this item. Or even close to it.... >>

my statement is based on the fact that I sold him something and it was shipped to a major auction house c/o him
  • Do most large dealers have separate Ebay buying accounts to avoid getting a "Neg" when they don't complete a deal to purchase or have other issues with sellers? In this way they are able to keep their selling reputation in tact and can be difficult buyers. Note: The two underbidders for the box had feedback scores of 10 to 49.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wow 25 grand!!! And if Duncan sez he knows the winner, he knows the winner.

I hope this works out for the buyer.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Duncan--friggin A. You must know something we do not. Or you hit Powerball the other day. That much on this--unconfirmed ??????? As Yoda would say "Perplexed am I, for sure."
    Manny , what is the risk. I already emailed with the guy , he has a store and would let me pick them up. I go there with a bank check , he shows me a pile of poop and I walk out. He shows me 120 untampered with packs , I got the steal of the decade.

As for them being resealed crap as was posted on this board earlier , I think that was a total smear campaign. come on manny , how long have you collected packs, no way could you reseal that many packs that he showed in the scans that perfectly and that white on the back and with perfect folds.

as for buying ids , I use them because I buy a lot of things and don't want to leave patterns so that I can get run up. nothing to do with feedback or being difficult to deal with, I have 3 ids in total and 1 negative in total which is on my main id from a jerk that opened a 51 redback pack and then wanted me to give him a refund because he didn't get the card he wanted about 5 years ago.
  • While there is most definitely a strong possibility that these packs have been searched at some point in their 40 year life I don't really think it's that big of a deal. Would a pack with a HOFer showing -- selling on its own -- achieve a higher realized price than another pack -- also selling on its own -- with a nobody showing? Absolutely. Would the difference between those two costs greatly offset the value of an unopened box of 120 packs THAT much? I doubt it.

Make no mistake about it, this lot's value is in the fact that the packs are unopened ... not in the cards residing inside.

Arthur
  • for that kind of money; i'd def. need to see them up close and personal.

I agree that the money is all about the cards being sealed up tight; though it would be fun to rip em!
    I did not think we as a board thought these were reseals. What we thought possibly was that they had been searched.

I agree, you go there, look at the box, if you see Ken Johnson 56 times you walk out. I would imagine the winner is going to do something to that effect. I know I would.

basically these packs went for around 225.00 bucks each.

If legit, and the deal goes thru, I would imagine we will see these packs graded. And then the buyer will prolly double his money. Be nice if he got a complete set out of that box. And kept the set in the packs.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • If these are going to an auction house, lets say Mastro or Mile High, the pack grading will be next to nothing since it becomes a tradeoff for advertising. If you or I had won these, lets see 120 times 25 bucks a pack, shipping plus return shipping, big difference since its over 3,000.00 in grading fees.....
    Duncan--I agree that he could not have manufactured the packs. Searched-yes; manufactured-no.

I would be surprised however, if the seller allows the winning bidder to inspect prior to forking over the product. My guess is that he will want the $$, and then turn it over. Notwithstanding what he said. For penny packs though, it is a real high price. Intersting to see what happens.

Keep us advised.
    I bid based on 120 common packs , even if they were all commons , the packs are worth 300-400 each so the buyer got an incredible deal. I would have had to sell some of them , or at least not buy anything else for a while if I kept the whole thing , if I won otherwise I would have gone much higher. my suspicions are that there will be star packs in there , if I here anything and the buyer doesn't mind sharing i will let you know. time will tell
  • beach64beach64 Posts: 218 ✭✭
    If the cards are viewable, why are the packs more valuable sealed then opened?
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Manny , what is the risk. I already emailed with the guy , he has a store and would let me pick them up. I go there with a bank check , he shows me a pile of poop and I walk out. He shows me 120 untampered with packs , I got the steal of the decade.

As for them being resealed crap as was posted on this board earlier , I think that was a total smear campaign. come on manny , how long have you collected packs, no way could you reseal that many packs that he showed in the scans that perfectly and that white on the back and with perfect folds.

as for buying ids , I use them because I buy a lot of things and don't want to leave patterns so that I can get run up. nothing to do with feedback or being difficult to deal with, I have 3 ids in total and 1 negative in total which is on my main id from a jerk that opened a 51 redback pack and then wanted me to give him a refund because he didn't get the card he wanted about 5 years ago. >>

poor quality

Buyer lakerfanx6( 130) Dec-17-02 13:36 1870041083
    Reply by duncan300: 1c pack, didn't get cards he wanted, I get - ? value in the authentic real pack

He could have left a better reason on why he neg you, what an idiot!!
    has anyone heard anything on this transaction?
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    No fb left by thecelebrant as of yet
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I heard the box was bought at a tag sale.

Lee
    Duncan may have an idea as to what happened.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BBCEBBCE Posts: 111
    Hello!!
    I guess I can finally let everyone know the status of the 1964 Topps baseball 1 cent Stand-Up Wax Box.

As most everyone already knows, Mastro Auctions won the box from eBay. Bill Mastro had me fly to CT to pay for the box and to inspect it before the transaction was complete. Obviously, not only did I need to make sure they were 100% untampered or messed with, but to see if stars were showing and it wasn't 120 packs with commons showing. I would have simply walked out on the deal and returned the money to Bill.

Well, the box could not have been any nicer/cleaner/fresher!!! The 120 packs were completely virgin fresh and untouched. It only took me a dozen or so packs before I saw a Yaz SP(the best short print), Mantle and Koufax. After I went through the whole box, I was satisfied that it was in it's original state from Topps in 1964. I paid the person and flew back to Chicago.

After I got home I looked at the player selection showing. It couldn't have worked out any better!!! There is 1 COMPLETE SET showing in the 120 packs. There was all 55 of the regular prints showing and 22 of the short prints showing. It was just amazing that it worked out that way. 120 total packs and 77 different players showing(a complete set). I also remember doubles of some of the major HOF'ers(and some triples).
    I assume you will see this box again in an upcoming Mastro auction. At least now, you know what you are getting and have no doubts to it's authenticity!!

Thanks! Steve Hart
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Steve -- an amazing story. Thanks for the update!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx Steve.

It'll be interesting what it brings.

Besides being clean - what about the gum? Also, wouldn't every card have the potential of a wax stain?

mike
    Mike
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Steve for clearing up any misconceptions - what an amazing box! Any staining aside, you'd think anyone who formed a set still in the packs would have a collectible item that just couldn't be duplicated - and that being the case, any potential staining would be a moot point?

Very cool - from a tag sale no less!
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have an unopened pack ( at least I think it is unopened). It is Killebrew and the gum is on the picture side
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Thanks Steve

The seller was more of a fool then we thought! he basically wholesaled that box. By acting so suspecious he left much dough on the table.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BBCEBBCE Posts: 111
    I will try to help answer a few questions. The gum is going to leave a small mark, as is almost 99% going to happen with 1 cent packs. 1 cent packs are really never opened for the card, but kept by collectors as the unopened item itself. The gum was on top of each pack and the back of the card was touching the gum. Therefore, the gum does not affect the front face of the card.

The customer who sold it was really personable and honest in person. His ebay answers however were very vague and not completely understandable. He stated that he did so to make it fair in bidding(so someone didn't have an advantage over others). Of course, it would only make sense to answer all questions specifically to make the bidding go higher!! But oh well, to each his own.

Was pretty cool how he had his brothers in the parking lot to make sure I wasn't going to knock him over the head or something! He said," You guys from Chicago are like Al Capone! You know, gangsters!...pop,pop,bang,bang,bang!!"

One of these days I should write a book on all the buying trips I have made and the memories I have from them! I have met some of the strangest people on the earth!
    Thanks! Steve
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story Steve - amazing that Chicago still has that perception! But I know you're not kidding. image
  • OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, cool story Steve! I agree with Steve (winpitcher) too, this seller could have realized a much higher price if he hadn't conducted himself as suspiciously as he did with regard to the legitimate questions he was asked during the course of the auction. I guess he reaqlly did get the box at that infamous "tag sale" and just didn't know any better, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic Story !!!!!

Classic Thread.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else catch this in the question sections? hahahahahah

Q: Hello, great item..i can see that one pack has a ken johnson in it if i bid high and win this item i wont have a handful of johnson? will i ? Apr-01-07
    A: HI ALL I WILL SAY IS U SHOULD BE VERY HAPPY WITH THIS LOT .. THANKU AJGLASS
    -- Ryan Bell
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I can just imagine how high the price would've gone had he answered the questions legitimately - we may find out the answer.

So I guess we can assume he really DID find this at a garage sale??? WOW. We can all hold out hope for a major find like this on our own still!
    Attn: JerryGrote15

Looks like the "big boys" listened to my advice here. image
    <<<<< Thursday March 29, 2007 8:58 PM

Holy chit - over 10K.

That quickly tells me:

1. it is legit
    2. he has alerted card dealers to this who were allowed to look at it and are bidding accordingly.
    3. with all his feedback - he's probably had some baseball card lots before, and satisfied buyers who also know of this auction
    4. there's gotta be some star cards in there >>>>>

That stevek b*st*ard had it right whoever that SOB is. LOL
  • blue227blue227 Posts: 185 ✭✭
    A couple of observations worth sharing...

Out of curiosity, I checked out the feedback of the winning bidder for the Stand Ups box and noticed a number of transactions in which they were the winning bidder of "Sandandy" listings. Since Sandandy is Mastro's eBay selling ID, i found this sort of disturbing since bidding against an employer's auctions is generally frowned upon by most in the hobby.

I also noticed how the winning bidder collects GAI graded empty wax boxes. Although I realize that some people in the hobby collect empty boxes, i have to admit that the first thing that crossed my mind was of the CU BBS case buster organizer who liked to collect wax pack wrappers.
    <<< Jerry - I feel the chances are excellent that the packs are legit based on all the available information, which includes the bidding price. This isn't some stupid phony T-206 Wagner here, which some rich lawyer's wife knows is popular and wants to buy for her rich husband and if it's fake, they'd have a good laugh about it and the lawyer would simply next month overbill some of his clients the 10K. This is an item which only "hard-core" baseball card collectors such as myself would know the value and be interested in, therefore there's likely to be only very sharp, knowledgeable bidders on this item. >>>

<<< The fact that the seller is willing to allow the winning buyer to inspect the product tells me the item is genuine or at least the seller believes it is genuine. You're the winning bidder, you bring cash to the guy's location, inspect the item, if you like it then hand him the cash, or do a PayPal transaction on his computer, or use a credit card if he accepts credit cards, and then you take the product, or if it's PayPal he has to ship it to you to protect himself on a PayPal transaction. Is that hard to understand Jerry? LOL

Who gives a chit about the tag-sale story if that's how he got the cards or not? All these big sellers on ebay like to tell the "ebay story" on key items which 99% of the time is BS. That doesn't even matter.

<<< there are plenty of "knowledgeable bidders" out there who buy bogus junk everyday. That's really a comical statement, actually.>>>

No, it is you who are being comical. "Knowledgeable bidders" don't buy bogus junk otherwise they wouldn't fit the definition of "knowledgeable bidders" now would they? Think about it for awhile Jerry - You'll eventually figure it out. LOL >>>

A few more stevek thread quotes for ya Jerry. LOL
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>A couple of observations worth sharing...

Out of curiosity, I checked out the feedback of the winning bidder for the Stand Ups box and noticed a number of transactions in which they were the winning bidder of "Sandandy" listings. Since Sandandy is Mastro's eBay selling ID, i found this sort of disturbing since bidding against an employer's auctions is generally frowned upon by most in the hobby.

I also noticed how the winning bidder collects GAI graded empty wax boxes. Although I realize that some people in the hobby collect empty boxes, i have to admit that the first thing that crossed my mind was of the CU BBS case buster organizer who liked to collect wax pack wrappers. >>

Very interesting. Does anyone know for sure if Sandandy is Mastro's selling id?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    No doubt about it- I've won items from Sandyandy, and I'm pretty sure Mastro's logo is in their auctions.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>No doubt about it- I've won items from Sandyandy, and I'm pretty sure Mastro's logo is in their auctions. >>

Do they have the kind of pull to make this thread go POOF?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
    A few more stevek thread quotes for ya Jerry. LOL

Earth to SteveK: Re-read my posts. I never said the box wasn't good, only that the seller was answering legitimate questions about the box in a very vague and unnecessarily evasive way which would cause anyone to have some questions about the auction. Obviously, that was the case, or the box would have gone for much more. There's no question that he left money on the table as a result. You knew NADA about nothing with regard to this box, but I'll give you this, you did have a 50% chance of being right this time, and unlike most other times, this time it appears you were actually not wrong for a change! But even longshots come in every now and then, don't they Steve?

. Attn: JerryGrote15

Looks like the "big boys" listened to my advice here.

SteveK, I seriously doubt that the "big boys" as you call them, would ever seek any advice from you in the first place, lol! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    The customer who sold it was really personable and honest in person.

I agree I emailed back and forth with AJ and got that impression too. However he left mucho dough on the table.

as for the mastro comments nothing surprises me anymore.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No doubt about it- I've won items from Sandyandy, and I'm pretty sure Mastro's logo is in their auctions. >>

Do they have the kind of pull to make this thread go POOF? >>

I saw that too. the seller they bought the items from has a 'Mastronet' symbol on their auctions. is this the same as Mastro?

<< <i>A few more stevek thread quotes for ya Jerry. LOL

LOL, SteveK, you flip flop more than John Kerry! Re-read my posts. I never said the box wasn't good, only that the seller was answering legitimate questions about the box in a very suspicious and vague way which would cause anyone to have some questions about the auction. You knew NADA about nothing with regard to this box, and you changed your own opinion more than once to ensure that you'd be "right" when the truth came out? LOL!

. Attn: JerryGrote15

Looks like the "big boys" listened to my advice here.

Steve, I seriously doubt that the "big boys" as you call them, would ever seek any advice from you in the first place, lol! >>

I'm just having some fun with you Jerry. There was no flip-flop from me and you know it - I responded to the information as it became available. You know my basic premise on this auction was correct and your basic premise was incorrect.

You must be a student of the Axtell School of Forum Posting. image
    I'm just having some fun with you Jerry. There was no flip-flop from me and you know it - I responded to the information as it became available. You know my basic premise on this auction was correct and your basic premise was incorrect.

You must be a student of the Axtell School of Forum Posting.

LOL, You can call me any other name you want, but THAT is over the line!

Back to this auction, though, there's no question that the seller left a large amount of money on the table, and as even Steve Hart said in his post, the seller's evasiveness almost certainly suppressed the bidding. This box will realize possibly double what it sold for on ebay when Mastro puts it up for sale.

You know my basic premise on this auction was correct

Even long shots come in eventually, and you were bound to be correct in something sooner or later! image

<< <i>I'm just having some fun with you Jerry. There was no flip-flop from me and you know it - I responded to the information as it became available. You know my basic premise on this auction was correct and your basic premise was incorrect.

You must be a student of the Axtell School of Forum Posting.

LOL, You can call me any other name you want, but THAT is over the line!

Back to this auction, though, there's no question that the seller left a large amount of money on the table, and as even Steve Hart said in his post, the seller's evasiveness almost certainly suppressed the bidding. This box will realize double what it sold for on ebay when Mastro puts it up for sale. >>

You're right man, comparing anyone in anyway to Axtell is too much of an insult and totally uncalled for. image

<< <i>You know my basic premise on this auction was correct

Even long shots come in eventually, and you were bound to be correct in something sooner or later! image >>

Ahhh - you shouldn't compare sports picks to figuring out legit/illegite auctions. I can't remember a single time posting here where I've been incorrect about the legitimacy of an auction. Won't say that it will never happen though. image

And most of the regular members here get this right as well.

Ahhh - you shouldn't compare sports picks to figuring out legit/illegite auctions.

Guess you're right about that, as anyone following your sports picks will attest to! image

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    200!

couldn't resistimage