Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss Baseball - the unofficial but legal thread

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Hey Arny, I could use the Murray DK Steel....send me your paypal id with the amount with a PM and I'll send you the money tonight. thanks al.
  • Options
    page turn
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    Thanks Arny....you got me one step closer to completing the set......

al.
  • Options
    Turn, Turn, Turn....Byrds....around 1965 or so if I remember correctly.....boy am I showing my age....
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    #22 & #71 both are sold now. I've sold 31 PSA 9s in the last two days! image

Still demand out there! image

Turn, Turn, Turn....nice song! Forrest Gump soundtrack had it, I believe. Lots of good stuff on that soundtrack.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Pack 4 had a semi-star with the Julio Franco rookie, but even more decently centered cards including a PSA 9 possible Jim Slaton.

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    that's funny -- -did you see my Slaton PSA 9 possible card from my busted portion?

Two Slatons
    Two Carters

NO Mattinglys!

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    Wow....Tippy Martinez PSA 10 went for $113.50!

Looks like we have a couple of deep pocketed buyers (Spyder & BBCardbuyer) aside from Robert trying to nab those 10s.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I just picked up 2 more 10's tonight. That brings my total to 4 so far image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Go Bunker go!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wow, over $100 for an PSA 10. I would have to believe that there are a few more out there that just have not been graded, but I guess if you have to have it now!!
  • Options
    I am attempting to build a PSA 9 and 10 set and my son is wanting to build a raw set. Please let me know if you have any raw cards that you would be willing to sell or trade.

Thanks!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Bunker,

I have 3 complete raw sets I'm about to unload on ebay. One is in a binder w/ pages. The other two are hand-collated in boxes.

I also have a pretty sizeable partial fourth set.

All cards range from NM,NMMT,Mint --- most NMMT & Mint

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    PM sent image

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Thanks to a fellow board member the mailman just brought me my first card.

EDIT: I am curious as to how everyone displays or stores there graded cards especially for those of you who are close to completeing this set. Do you keep them in the PSA boxes, keep them locked up in a closet or display them some how?

JDRF Donation
  • Options

My first checklist card!!
  • Options
    Congrats on the PSA 10 checklist Kirk!

Bunker, I keep my set in those cardboard PSA sized boxes. They are inexpensive and keep things together nicely.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Nice way to start the set Bunker!!
  • Options
    I'm going to have another 15 to 20 PSA 9s (and one 10) available in the next week or so. I'll post them here first before offering them elsewhere. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I store my set in the PSA card size cardboard boxes. You can get them for $2.35 each if you buy in volume from the following:

www.bcwsupplies.com

Like they advertise they store about 70-80 cards. I have 9 boxes total for my set which is almost finished. The boxes are heavy duty and don't fall apart.....I tried the PSA boxes but they were to flimsy for my liking....never tried the plastic ones they offer but thought they were kind of expensive....

al.
  • Options
    I use the same ones as alnavman. They work pretty good, and are the best thing I have found.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    Those were the same boxes I was talking about. Very good and affordable.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Think I will get some of those, my wife is starting to complain about all my cards in my night stand!!image
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I have been lurking around for the past two months reading everyones comments with regards to this set. I must admit that I really could not understand the same passion on this set as what you have mentioned.
    Some of you may know last month I bought a huge collection of cards valued around $400K. As I was going through the collection I found two 800ct. boxes of freshly opened 84 Donruss. One box was a set missing probably 80 cards and the other was extras from the first set. I decided to look at the cards to get an idea of what was in it so I could sell this on Ebay next week. The first handful was 13 checklists (duplicates were there, and only three of them centered-but pack fresh), then came the diamond kings that had Roses, Schmidts ect. Some of these cards were stinking nice.
    One hour later, I am finishing up with the first 800 ct. box looking forward to hitting the next one. My point to all of this is the 1984 cards took me back to 5th grade. It reminded me of getting ready on that hot, Tuesday night for a Little League game with cards placed so evenly on the floor bedroom.
    What a great set guys. Best of luck putting this wonderful set together in all grades.

Shane Leonard
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Two more additions:

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Christ, memories of 5th grade in 1984, I was graduating from High School!!image
  • Options

<< <i>I have been lurking around for the past two months reading everyones comments with regards to this set. I must admit that I really could not understand the same passion on this set as what you have mentioned.
    Some of you may know last month I bought a huge collection of cards valued around $400K. As I was going through the collection I found two 800ct. boxes of freshly opened 84 Donruss. One box was a set missing probably 80 cards and the other was extras from the first set. I decided to look at the cards to get an idea of what was in it so I could sell this on Ebay next week. The first handful was 13 checklists (duplicates were there, and only three of them centered-but pack fresh), then came the diamond kings that had Roses, Schmidts ect. Some of these cards were stinking nice.
    One hour later, I am finishing up with the first 800 ct. box looking forward to hitting the next one. My point to all of this is the 1984 cards took me back to 5th grade. It reminded me of getting ready on that hot, Tuesday night for a Little League game with cards placed so evenly on the floor bedroom.
    What a great set guys. Best of luck putting this wonderful set together in all grades.

Shane Leonard >>

Great stuff, Shane. Thanks for sharing!

I was 7 in 1984.

-t
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    84??? let's see....hmmm, i was a freshman and remember picking up 84 donruss at a local 7-11....then came the oversized all-star cards. and i remember passing up the 84 fleer update sets at $7 each...argh.

great set guys.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    ........I don't even want to tell you how old I was in 1984............ image
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    84 wasn't a great collecting year for me as I was teaching in Scotland at the time. Not too many Donruss available there.

Page turn please.
  • Options
    I must be the old man...I was already out of the Army, I was drafted also which will give another clue and had worked 12 years for DoD....I was 32 years old in 1984...wow do I feel old now!!
  • Options
    I was actually 12 years old and remember picking up '84 Donruss at a local farm store (drive through little dairy things) and those things were beautiful then as well! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    guys, i have the following for sale pre-ebay if you are interested - $9 each delivered unless noted. PM or email me at LDFerguson@bwsc.net.

all are PSA 9 with no qualifiers and the price includes padded shipping with dc.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Looking for a Doug Flynn #254 in PSA 10, not sure what Pop is on card, but it is one of my favs from the set, but do not have it yet.
  • Options
    Hey 84 Junkies-
    I have roughly 1200 cards that are in very high grade. I see that these cards are fetching $9-12 per card in PSA 9. After looking at these cards I would say half of these will go PSA 9 or 10, the other half being less because of centering. Is there any collector that wants to make an offer on these before I list them? There are stars in the lot too- not all commons. Let me know if I can help someone with their set at shaneleo@aol.com. I would love to help you guys out.

Shane
  • Options
    shane,
    do you have any centered joe carters?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    David,
    I believe all three of them were not centered. I can check for you and let you know tomorrow. Are you looking for a PSA 9 in this card or a 10?

SL
  • Options
    a 9 but centered well. i pulled 3 from 2 boxes and they were all OC l/r. i pulled 3 mattinglys as well. 2 were centered well and 1 was not. i may list the OC one on ebay this weekend.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    84 D not on the mind today....we had the worst dumping of snow in about 15 years over the last 24 hours. I even got the day off from work, can't even remember the last time that happened...but I know it was before my son was born and he's 13...
  • Options
    if anyone has any well centered cards with the following numbers let me know: 38, 39, 75, 119, 177, 180, 186, 189, 194, 203, 219, 224, 228, 230, 235, 236, 442, 450, 464, 468, 471, 480, 481, 482, 490, 491, 502, 503, 513, 535, 554, 555, 557, 558, 569, 578, 590, 606, 637, 645, 646 or the 1-27 Checklist both Steel and Steele versions.....if you have any of these PSA 9 I would also be interested....thanks

al.
  • Options

<< <i>Let me know if I can help someone with their set at shaneleo@aol.com. >>

email sent

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I must be the old man...I was already out of the Army, I was drafted also which will give another clue and had worked 12 years for DoD....I was 32 years old in 1984...wow do I feel old now!! >>

I got you beat.I was 36 in 1984. It was one of the best years as I was able to go to the Hall Of Fame and see the Inductions and HOF game between the Braves and the Tigers.I also was able to pick up a 59 Fleer Ted Williams Set for $100 at a card show they were having there.
    Looking at the 84 Dons brings back some great memories of 1984.The 84 Dons design in my opinion is one of the nicest of all times.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Wow fiveniner....another old man....or should I say experienced!!!! one never gets old!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow fiveniner....another old man....or should I say experienced!!!! one never gets old! >>

You got that right!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Is the person who has the set with JR as the name ever post here?? His Ebay ID is Redspidy or something close to that. He just added a bunch of 10s to his set and I see him bidding all the time. Just curious.
  • Options
    redspyder? when he wants a card, he gets it. i hope i have some he needs. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Looks like (bb)cardbuyer is in the frey of buying 84 Donruss.
  • Options
    Kirk, he's been buyin' for awhile now.

Here are some more PSA 9s that I have available right now....more to come....

#158 Bob Boone
    #211 Mark Brouhard
    #222 Frank White
    #274 Lou Pinella
    #283 Frank Lacorte
    #291 John Shelby
    #301 Tommy John
    #323 Max Venable
    #345 Chris Codiroli
    #347 Andre Robertson
    #386 Milt May
    #412 John Stuper
    #414 Don Sutton
    #469 Steve Kemp
    #614 Reid Nichols
    #628 Jose Deleon

....let me know if anyone needs any of these.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Well I have registerd my set and I am in 16th place image I have a long way to go, but I am really looking forward to this. I have a stack of cards that I am wanting to send in, but I am hoping to do it when there is some kind of special.

My son is building a raw set and he is coming along nicely. It is fun watching him put this set together. He is really taking his time and choosing just the right card. I have not seen him play with his PS2 for a couple of weeks now. Baseball cards have brought us closer together than we have ever been before. He is my best friend and I am his. What a great hobby this is!

Thanks for listening to my rambling!

JDRF Donation