Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1985 Topps Football Thread

Comments

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    the centering is great on that elway...however, i'd go with a 7 as well. i've got a couple of sweet elway's in 8 but when i get one with nice edges and corners, the centering tends to be bad. i'm going thru a rack box now and the centering is not that great however the color, corner and edges are beautiful. now, if i could just get a box that had all the right mix... image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

• << <i> not to bring you down Scott but my guess would be PSA 7 at best >>

No problem at all, that is why I asked. Thanks to all for the opinions on the card. I am considering working on this set once I finish my Star Wars registry. Until then, I will probably just pick up some rack packs here and there.

thanks,
    Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    All right, you have me looking at this set. Have bought a few to go over and decide whether to pursue it further. How is everyone doing on this set?? Has it been put on the back burner, I have put my 83 Topps BB on hold now. I am into the football thing now. Are there more of these card getting graded??
  • Stingray,

I've crossed the 50% mark on the set and still keeping an eye out for 9s that I need. Right now it's a good time to jump in because there aren't a lot of active collectors going after the set. I think that everyone has the misconception that these cards are too tough to collect because of the black border and there aren't a ton of collectors after the set at this point.

You can pick up 9s for anywhere from $5-10 for the commons. But, the low pop commons in 9s could end up costing you up $25-40. The star cards fluctuate a little depending on fans that purchase the cards....the toughest ones are Walter Payton ($100 or so in PSA 9), John Elway ($50-60 in PSA 9 and the darn checklist cards ($60-100 in PSA 9 or so).
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I'd love to find a Payton 9 for anything less than $175 at this point. They don't come up often, and the last few have all been above $175 (with several hitting $200+)

• I wish I could find some common 9's for $5-10. I'm at 68% and it has been slow going. My last two 85 subs got roasted and I'm not going to submit until I feel PSA stops holding these modern cards to unreasonable standards. As much as I love this set, it has been very slow going.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    i just received a 100 card sub (about 50/50) on the 8 and 9s....not one single 10 and these all came from an unopened rack box....there have to be some 10s in here that were undergraded. i'm doing my set in 8 and selling the rest. if they don't sell i'll slowly upgrade my 8s to 9s.

i've got a small 50 cards sub waiting but i hate to send it in after the last one just popped....ouch!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• LMK what you have available David in PSA 9 (or better)
    i have 22 different 9s available from the latest sub. i'm going to look over these and see where a 10 may be possible on a resub. if interested shoot me a PM with a fair offer and maybe we can bypass the bay.

4 DAN MARINO RECORD BREAKER 9
    22 BEARS TEAM LEADERS WALTER PAYTON 9
    99 SAMMY WHITE N/A 9
    117 MARK HAYNES ALL PRO 9
    120 JOE MORRIS N/A 9
    124 LAWRENCE TAYLOR ALL PRO 9
    126 GREG BROWN N/A 9
    131 KENNY JACKSON N/A 9
    144 STUMP MITCHELL N/A 9
    148 49ers TEAM LEADERS JOE MONTANA 9
    154 KEITH FAHNHORST N/A 9
    165 CARLTON WILLIAMSON N/A 9
    177 REDSKINS TEAM LDRS. JOHN RIGGINS 9
    193 RECEIVING LEADERS O.NEWSOME/A.MONK 9
    199 GREG BELL N/A 9
    203 STEVE FREEMAN N/A 9
    215 EDDIE EDWARDS N/A 9
    218 LARRY KINNEBREW N/A 9
    227 RICKY FEACHER N/A 9
    235 BRONCOS TEAM LDRS. J.ELWAY/S.WINDER 9
    237 BARNEY CHAVOUS N/A 9
    281 RAIDERS TEAM LDRS. MARCUS ALLEN 9

guys, i don't mean for this to become a buy/sell thread.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Are PSA 9s in this set all over the place as far as centering and the amount of chipping allowed on the cards?? Noticed a wide variety of PSA 9s it seems??
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Very few, if any, have any chipping. As soon as those graders see chipping, it's normally an 8 at best. Centering could vary a tad, but not very off. Have you seen some examples specifically that were really off or with some heavy chipping?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Just sold my 1972 set to pay for some home repairs. I figure I will have about a grand or two to start a new set. I would like this one in 8 and 9 with the stars in 9.

I like to submit my own. Is it best for Cello or Rack? Wax is out of the question with to many damaged cards and vending is a crap shoot in any year.

A little help from the Masters of this set would be appreciated. Also, if I get any 10's that are not Packers or Walter Payton they will be offered here first and not to the, well you know who.

Looking forward to your submissions FavreFan!

Welcome aboard! It's a beautiful set and definitely worth the time to build. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    favrefan,
    i have many 8s if interested. let me know.

good luck on your quest. i am doing the set in 8s as well and upgrading as i can.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Alright, just received my first batch of 85 from auction wins. I must take back what I said before. Photos are decent and not quite a grainy as I thought and for some reason these cards look great in the PSA holder. Thanks guys for getting me hooked!! Let's keep this thread going!!
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    So, how does one pinpoint the centering on these cards?

If you're holding the card with the player name on the bottom, T/B centering is pretty simple, but how about l/r? Is the "Topps" logo considered part of the picture, or do you just center the picture and ignore the "Topps" logo?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>So, how does one pinpoint the centering on these cards?

If you're holding the card with the player name on the bottom, T/B centering is pretty simple, but how about l/r? Is the "Topps" logo considered part of the picture, or do you just center the picture and ignore the "Topps" logo? >>

Centering doesn't tend to be the sticking point in the grading of this issue...it's all about the borders and in particular the corners. PSA seems to be especially strict on this issue.

I would go with centering the picture.

Yes centering should be even above and below the picture, irelevent (sp?) of were the word Topps is at.
    I've received many '85s recently....I just sorted them out and I'll post them in numerical order....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    A few more....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd still love a Carl Banks 9 or 10 if anyone has one for sale.image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Congrats Arny. Are these going into your set or are they for sale?
    I've got a few that are going for sale...the ones I'm posting are going in my set though.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Here are a couple of the cards that I have available for sale or trade....

Must be one of those 4SC Marinos, huh?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Hello! Just joined the PSA collectors club last week. I've been out of collecting a couple of years, I used to collect coins though. I started looking for a new hobby a few weeks ago and decided to collect football cards. The cards I collected as a kid were late 70's, early 80's. I never collected as late as the 1985 set but this is by far the best looking set in my opinion, something about the black border cards makes them almost look like a work of art. I'm going to make an effort at a PSA 9 set. From all the comments I've read so far, it seems like that won't be an easy task. I'll probably try and pick up some on ebay, and submit some of my own as well.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackborder. ..... Try the Baseball Card Exchange (Steve Hart). Nobody better in the biz as far as unopened goes.

I just checked, he doesn't have much at this time but keep your eyes open !!!!

BASEBALL CARD EXCHANGE

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Welcome blackborder! I've got a few that will be going on eBay, but I can give you (or anyone else on the thread) first shot at them. I'll make a list tomorrow morning and post it here.

Again, welcome!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Arny- PM sent.

• << <i>Blackborder. ..... Try the Baseball Card Exchange (Steve Hart). Nobody better in the biz as far as unopened goes.

I just checked, he doesn't have much at this time but keep your eyes open !!!!

BASEBALL CARD EXCHANGE >>

Thanks, I have them bookmarked. I just bought a wax box elsewhere which should be here in a few days. Hopefully I'll get some gradable cards for my first submission.

• << <i>Welcome blackborder! I've got a few that will be going on eBay, but I can give you (or anyone else on the thread) first shot at them. I'll make a list tomorrow morning and post it here.

Again, welcome! >>

Thank you! Let me know if you have any 9's.
  • sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I'd like to welcome Adrian to our inner circle! He is brooklyn_dodgers (38) on EBAY and has listed his set in the Registry ... The Swiss-American Sports Card Collection. Assembling an entire PSA 9 set is challenging enough, but from Switzerland- WOW!

Low POP PSA 9s and PSA 10s are tougher than ever ... the competition has really heated up!? That last 33% of this set is frustrating to say the least. I still need to upgrade over 25 PSA 8s.

Arny, how come you didn't bid on the Dokie Williams (1/2) or Walter Abercrombie (1/3) PSA 9s? MOSH/Jeremy missed 'em to?!
    I must've completely missed them. The two that I bid on, you picked up. So, I'm glad that you got them. image

Here's a list of the 9s that I have available right now....

#21 RC Thielemann
    #41 Michael Downs
    #70 Tom Flynn
    #71 Eddie Lee Ivery
    #104 Hokie Gajan
    #124 Lawrence Taylor $15
    #135 Mike Quick
    #150 Dwight Clark $15
    #215 Eddie Edwards
    #217 Bobby Kemp
    #248 Oilers Team Card (Moriarity)
    #260 Johnnie Cooks
    #282 Marcus Allen (x2) $15
    #286 Cliff Branch
    #294 Vann McElroy
    #297 Jim Plunkett (x2)
    #314 Dan Marino $30
    #335 NY Jets Team Card (Gastineau/Ferguson) (x2)

....all of them are $10 each aside from those specifically stating otherwise. If you pick up more than one, shipping is on me! image

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Just ripped a waxbox and picked the 6 best cards for my collectors club submission including a Warren Moon which I hope grades a 9 but probably won't. I haven't seen enough cards yet to be able to grade consistently on my own. I also pulled the next 30 best cards from the box (including a Payton and Dorsett) and will submit the best 10 from that. If I get mostly 9's, I'll submit another 10. I don't have a scanner or I would post some pics.
  • WAS sorting though some cardboard boxes tonight i had stuffed in a closet and opened them up to see what the heck was in them as i had no clue.

Anyway it was a assortment of wax and cello boxes from sp,s to oddball stuff but also a very clean cello box of 85,s if anyone is interested in it hit me with a fair offer and it`s yours

Can send a scan if need be, It all must go say`s the boss image

Funny how little things like a extra child in the house over the last year keep taking from my card storage areas lol oh well such is fatherhood i guess.

FRANK THERE WAS A 95 AND 99 SP BOX IN THERE ALSO IF YOU HAVE ANY INTEREST IN THEM I KNOW THATS YET ANOTHER OF YOUR PLAYGROUNDS.
    My wife would drive them up from Baltimore to you just to get rid of them i am sure lol.

Email me at jelly_man @msn.com if anyone has any interest just listed a bunch of goodies on the bay tonight as well many hof rookies image ebay id if anyone does not know is ranger_51
  • Skinsfan- I am interested in the 95 SP box and the 85 Cello. PM me with your price and we'll work it out.
    Frank
    A question to 85 collectors, how many PSA 10s do you own, are you keeping them for you set or planning on selling. Do not see that many for sale and to spend $50 for a common, I am not sure if it that is worth it when I could buy 5 or more commons for that price.
    Frank,

Nice pick up on the Bell PSA 10! Low pop PSA 9s seem to be selling higher than PSA 10s?! I think a few were out to lunch on that card.
    Another Payton 9 sold tonight, this time for $165. I had a bid in at $150 (the max I want to spend on it), seems others had a bigger budget:

Text

• Nice pick up on the Bell PSA 10! Low pop PSA 9s seem to be selling higher than PSA 10s?! I think a few were out to lunch on that card.

Thanks Marcus. Ironically the card has been on Ebay for a few weeks. I think it started at over $100 and kept coming down. I was going to offer my standard $50 for PSA 10's, but forgot to email the seller before they relisted it. I was happy when I saw the auction end. The seller is a good dealer and I hope they come up with more 9'a and 10's for my set.
    Another Payton 9 sold tonight, this time for $165. I had a bid in at $150 (the max I want to spend on it), seems others had a bigger budget:

Axtell

The price on this card has been so consistent for the past 2 years. Funny how the SMR never increases ... at $85?

Frank,

Mojomagnet has purchased a few raw sets and a rack pack box off EBAY recently, so it appears he's back at it. Wish I new his secret?! Jeremy has purchased several of his PSA 10s on the side. Most went into his EBAY store.

I agree that puttinonthefoil13 is pleasant to deal with. PSAStock is a different story though ... lol?!
  • agree that puttinonthefoil13 is pleasant to deal with. PSAStock is a different story though ... lol?!

Guess I have to count myself as lucky. There is only one seller I have an issue with.

<< <i>Oh I think that PSA 10 are very much worth the money. Very tough, anyone who has submitted any 85 in quantity can attest to that. Seriously, PSA 9s are great, very easy on the eyes, but PSA 10s will always remain a low % of the pop. But I'm sure some of these other guys will have something to add. >>

Geez, nothing like a shameless plug in a thread!!image I have never bought from you, you do appear to have quite the amount of PSA 10s available. Are you making any sales at the prices you have set on these PSA 10s??
  • A couple a month, but most of what I sell doesn't make it to eBay. I work on want lists a lot also.

Did I note free shipping if you mention this thread???

TFCS Jeremy Enjoy your 85 everyone! As a Bears fan, it was an especially good year.
    Jeremy
    i wish i knew mojo's secret as well. i'm sitting on a rack box (cracked 4 racks and yielded 8s and 9s...no 10s)...

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Hey guys,

I finally made my score on 85 fb. Been wanting to do this set for awhile and finally some light was shed on me! 30 nrmtmt-mt sets are on the way to my door these were made from packs back in 85 and this guy was picky he even shrinkwrapped half of them! Needless to say Im geeked as this contact usually blows me away everytime.

So my question to you 85 brains. What are the tougher cards in the set?

Thanks in advance, Matt
    I believe the Elway card and the Payton cards are two of the tougher ones. I hope that the swrink wrap did not mess up the corners of those 85 sets.

• he shrinked them on the outside
  • What are the tougher cards in the set?

Any card I don't haveimage
    Seriously though, Elway, Payton are tough. As well #1 Mark Clayton, M. Singletary, some of the saints players (cards #'ed in the 90's), Colts cards (#'ed in the 260's), Checklists.
    These are for cards in PSa 9 or better.

• WOW!!! 30 sets hit my door last night. WHoa why are all the bears impossible lol crazy!! Card #1 seems to have a endless amount of flaws along with the payton. Im 5 sets down and have some nice 9 examples, but yeah tough set indeed. This was my first go-round with the 85's really like the design and action photos.