Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980s Wax Packs and some CU fun

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>are we opening 89 or 80 this weekend? what day? i'm leaving for vacation saturday and returning the following saturday. i'll try to stay in the loop. >>

We're starting at 1989 and working our way back. We bust and post on Sundays.

Have fun, guys...
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Just returned from the road for the week.

My Fleer pack yielded nothing of note. Most cards are seriously OC with only two or three that would be acceptable.

Best star?

A Yaz. 98/2 OC or worse top to bottom. No lie.

Better luck Sunday!

Keith
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Just got back from dropping off some autograph requests in the mail. Inspired by the 1981 Fleer pack opening and seeing other TTM autograph threads, I decided to send out autograph requests to players in the cards I received in my packs (to the extent I could find an address to send to them). I suspect I will try the same with the cards in other packs as we open them. This way I can extend the fun of this project even longer. If successful, I will post any autographs I receive in return.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    almost time to rip the '89's!
    Bob
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Happy Sunday. No that I was expecting much but I got these as my best 4

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options

<< <i>Happy Sunday. No that I was expecting much but I got these as my best 4

image >>

It's going to be a long week.
  • Options
    Glad someone broke the ice. I'll rip my pack as soon as the kids doze off. Gotta quit giving them caffine before bedtime! I just cracked a factory set of '89's a few weeks ago. All cards were vWAY off center. It will be nice to see some well centered cards from these packs.
  • Options

<< <i>Glad someone broke the ice. I'll rip my pack as soon as the kids doze off. Gotta quit giving them caffine before bedtime! I just cracked a factory set of '89's a few weeks ago. All cards were vWAY off center. It will be nice to see some well centered cards from these packs. >>

So you hope. Actually, I hope as well. I would enjoy seeing the progress of someone pulling a card from this rip, submitting it and getting a 10. Don't ask me why. Vicariousness, I guess.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Depending on how centered the 1982s are im requesting everybody's commons...i just looked at my set i bought last year off ebay from a guy i knew who said 90% were centered....no way....like 40% if that. So id like to request everybodys centered 1982 commons as i upgrade the commons in this set. When the 82's hit ill PM everybody... By the way all my commons are available if anyone is upgrading or doing a 80s set like me. Thanks!

Loth
  • Options
    Well, my pack was totally, I mean TOTALLY common until the third card from the bottom.

Next $5 special, this one goes.

Shannon
  • Options
    SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    Here are the results of my 1989 Pack:

No stars. None of the cards were very off center. The first 5 in the list were the worst centered and were only of about 60/40. The rest of the cards had very nice centering. Corners were nice on all the cards and great on about 7 or 8 cards.

#297 Oswald Peraza
    #112 Jim Presley
    #122 Lance Johnson
    #792 Rafel Santana
    #131 Dave Otto

#120 Frank Viola
    #568 Mickey Brantley
    #635 Willie Randolph
    #457 Mickey Sasser
    #289 Ernie Whitt
    #216 Jack Howell
    #416 Fred Lynn
    #273 Jose Lind
    #466 Chuck Crim
    #56 Pat Tabler
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Shannon, nice card! Hope it gets you a 10!

mcholke, ya know I gotta like that Hrbek! He was on a couple championship teams. His wrestling move in '87 pulling(??!) Herr (was it?) off first to tag him out was a classic in itself!

Even though I'm on the West Coast, the ice has been broken and I've broken the seal on my pack. I was impressed with the centering of the cards, but the selection was, well, not the best. My favorite card is the Kirk Gibson AS -- the year after his super-dramatic Series homer!

The other, slightly o/c, cards included:
    Mickey Tettleton (Orioles)
    Mike Jackson (Mariners)
    Don Baylor (Athletics)
    Willie Fraser (Angels)
    Dave Clark (Indians)
    Kirt Manwaring (Giants)
    Mark Thurmond (Orioles)

I didn't get brave and try the gum this time...self-preservation thing, I guess.

Good luck to the rest of you!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Still no scanner yet. Im hoping to have everything up and going by next week. I know I'll have it by the time we get to the REALLY good stuff! So...my 1989s were very nicely centered all the way through. And the results...
    519 Yankees Leaders
    227 John Farrell
    578 John Morris
    511 Richard Dotson
    641 Curt Young
    147 DeWayne Buice
    433 Albert Hall
    492 Alan Ashby
    504 Bob Walk
    210 Dale Murphy
    630 Mike Greenwell
    516 Eddie Whitson
    656 Ivan Calderon
    240 Greg Maddux
    364 Rob Deer

There ya have it! So we are going to do only one pack a week, eh? Wow...that makes it another 2 1/2 months before I can break the 1980??? Seems a bit too long aways for me! Wednesday or Thursday and Sunday cracks would be better!! I just dont know if I can hold out that long!!! image
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Best card that I got from my pack was a Joe Carter...but, it was the wax stained card image

Centering was off on most, but I had a couple of decent commons. Problem was, had some corner dings on a few of them.

Here's the lineup....

Mgr Card - Jim Leyland
    Pitchers - Gregg Olson (#1 Draft Pick card), Frank Viola, Dave Otto, Oswald Peraza, Mitch Williams, Mark Clear
    1st Base - Randy Ready
    2nd Base - Greg Briley
    Shortstop - Fred Manrique
    3rd Base - Jim Presley
    Outfield - Lance Johnson
    Outfield - Mike Kingery
    Outfield - Joe Carter
    4th Outfielder - Mickey Brantley

....there are absolutely no cards from this pack that I would submit due to the damage to the cards. Nearly half of them have corner dings and the rest are all OC. Oh well, hope that they get better and better with each passing week. How am I going to make it another week?!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

One worth mentioning here.

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    none worth mentioning in my 89's.....But remember..i want everybodys well centered 1982 commons!!!! GOOD LORD MY SET IS ALL OC imageimageimageimage...and to think I trusted that guy!!
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    My '89s were kind of a flop. This is the best of the pack.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    I guess I qualify at getting one of the better pulls from the 89 Topps set, since SMR only lists 2. Too bad it's OC.

Here is what I got:

15 Robby Thompson (went to my high school)
    74 Nick Leyva
    227 John Farrell
    299 Steve Ellsworth
    343 Gary Sheffield (love those diamonds)
    397 Don Mattingly All-star
    499 Don Heinkel
    514 Chet Lemon
    519 Yankees Leaders
    529 Tom Foley
    655 Dave Magadan (wax)
    685 Jeff Treadway
    705 Terry Kennedy
    724 Jerry Don Gleaton
    751 Ken Oberkfell
  • Options

Since we're on '89 and Sheffield, here's a slide that I own from his rookie year. Part of a photo shoot for one of his cards, can't figure out which one.

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    It's going to be a long week.

you can say that again and next week will be worse.

it's like going to see the rolling stones and have carrot top be the opening act. or you get a shot to nail lindsay lohan but you have to sleep with whoopie goldberg before hand.

by august life for us openers should get a little better.
  • Options
    finally ripped my '89 pack. half of the cards were centered pretty well, the other half were truly oc. gum was intact, looked good, but smelled old.
    1 card worth posting

looks like 9 maybe 10?

now what to do with the '89's?

Bob
  • Options
    i did however pull somebody who was california high school player of the year his final 3 seasons - anyone care to guess who?
    Bob
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My '89s were kind of a flop. This is the best of the pack.

image >>

sweet vince coleman.. he's from my town.. and he likes to throw firecrackers at people.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yahtzee! My retirement is now secure. Raffy and two Ricks. 2 creased cards and a ding to boot. image

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Well my pack yielded...Yawn.......Wally Joyner. Centering was for the most part decent on all of the cards. Only a few were way off center. Next week 1988's..whopee. Can't wait til late August.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    On my 89 Pack I pulled the following of note
    Dennis Eck(A sold 9)
    Astros Leaders
    Tom Glavine(Real smooth, 50/50 all around, I think it'll pull a 9

Besides that, nothing. But if someone is a member of PSA, plmk b/c I'd like to submit a few of these during a special. Thanks guys.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    I pulled a Gregg Olson rookie from my pack..

Put him in a funky suit and a funny hat and he would be a dead ringer for Isaac from Children of the COrn.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I think bosox and I got the same pack, So for my pack look at his scan

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    the lone card to mention was Mark McGwire in my pack.
  • Options
    It's pretty pathetic that I'm getting jealous over you guys ripping '89 Topps. Is there any way we could piece together an understudy group? I can't wait for you guys to start another one of these so I can get in.
  • Options
    89 topps was absolute crap. The best card I got was either a rock raines or boggs record breaker. Both of which were very of center. The pack ranged from off center l to r, off center top to bottom, or touched corners. Brutal pack, nothing of great intrest, and nothing higher than a psa8/pro10
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    jealous of an 89 break??? If it wasn't such a hassle to ship them, I'd give you the 87 thru 89!!! I can't wait for the good stuff, 80 thru 85. And heck, throw in the 86s for those tough black top borders.

Speaking of good stuf, when we gonna do an early 80s donruss??
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys

I thought Wed nites was rip nite?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Guys,

At the end of this, you should each scan your "top card" from each pack ... it will allow comment on who got the best overall set of packs. We can see who the "big winner is" ... .

..just an idea.
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    here's my two best, they both suck.

The Valle is, well, Valle. Even if it is a 10, it's still Dave Valle. The Sax has a nic in the left border that doesn,t show in the scan
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>jealous of an 89 break??? If it wasn't such a hassle to ship them, I'd give you the 87 thru 89!!! I can't wait for the good stuff, 80 thru 85. And heck, throw in the 86s for those tough black top borders.

Speaking of good stuf, when we gonna do an early 80s donruss?? >>

I'll volunteer to do that as well. In order to get some of the early 80s as part of this game, I had to accept the 87-89. I really have no interest in opening them, let alone scanning them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>jealous of an 89 break??? If it wasn't such a hassle to ship them, I'd give you the 87 thru 89!!! I can't wait for the good stuff, 80 thru 85. And heck, throw in the 86s for those tough black top borders.

Speaking of good stuf, when we gonna do an early 80s donruss?? >>

I'll volunteer to do that as well. In order to get some of the early 80s as part of this game, I had to accept the 87-89. I really have no interest in opening them, let alone scanning them. >>

I know there are some people that collect these issues in graded form, I think that most us could care very little. Lets bust 87-89 now, then start with 86 on weds. night I think that if we don't, we may lose people. I have already considered opening the others, when looking at another few weeks of looking at late 80s stuff
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys

I thought Wed nites was rip nite?

mike >>

Mike -

I think Wed. was just for the 81 Fleer pack. A teaser.

From here out it's Sunday?

Keith
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Speaking of good stuf, when we gonna do an early 80s donruss??

I'll volunteer to do that as well. In order to get some of the early 80s as part of this game, I had to accept the 87-89. I really have no interest in opening them, let alone scanning them.

I know there are some people that collect these issues in graded form, I think that most us could care very little. Lets bust 87-89 now, then start with 86 on weds. night I think that if we don't, we may lose people. I have already considered opening the others, when looking at another few weeks of looking at late 80s stuff >>

I, for one, would prefer to keep the schedule as is. I think we'd be more likely to lose people, myself included, if one or two participants decide to regularly moan about the issues we've purchased or the order in which we're opening them. I think in AJW's very first post on this thread, he clearly stated the parameters of this whole deal, and if you didn't agree with them, I honestly don't see why you would have joined in. Even so, I think it would be best to let the people who joined in because they liked the idea as it was proposed just enjoy it as it was proposed without having to read a bunch of complaints about it along the way. That said, there's really nobody keeping anybody from opening packs whenever and however they want. If you want to open your early '80s stuff now, go ahead and do it. I'd just prefer you not whine about it if everyone else sticks with the plan... at least not on this thread where they all have to see it.

And THAT said, here's some more crappy cards from the late '80s: Certainly nothing gradeable in my '89 pack:

• Options
    I guess I'm sticking with the spirit of things. I don't wanna open my early stuff early. I wanna do this as a group, but I question wether everyone is doing the same. To date I have opened the 89 topps (which I have documented that I give flying F about), and the 81 fleer.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Here's my highlights

The rest:

575 Juan Samuel
    494 Shane Rawley
    217 Joe Price
    155 Marty Barrett
    12 Dale Sveum
    25 Frank White
    446 Rob Murphy
    591 Jeff Musselman
    93 Ken Howell
    546 Mark Williamson
    258 Checklist

I think we should stick to the schedule. As was said, it was laid out prior to buying the packs, if you had an objection then you should have said something.

Also, if you do go ahead and rip all or some of the packs, please don't come on and share the results until that issue is being ripped. Try and be respectful of the guys that want to stay the course.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>I think we should stick to the schedule. As was said, it was laid out prior to buying the packs, if you had an objection then you should have said something. >>

A lot of people did but AJW simply made up his mind that since the 87-89 were so cheap, might as well include them (instead of doubling up, replacing with early Donruss, going back one more year, etc.). I agree that these are cheap (boxes are sold for less than $1 on eBay) but are we really going to spend three weeks on these??? I think by Tuesday of this week, more will be impatient. I would propose that we do these all this week.
  • Options
    i vote for sticking to the schedule. we all knew what the deal was. the 81 fleer was a nice treat to hold us over til we got down around the 85's. this is supposed to be fun and lets keep it that way.
    Bob
  • Options
    ozzie and ryan look like 10's
    Bob
  • Options
    Closer look

Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Guys, this thread is supposed to be fun. I'm sorry that not everyone is enjoying the rips as scheduled, but it seems that many of us are. I know that I like seeing the cards and players that I collected as a kid. For me, collecting and discussing baseball cards is not just about pulling a Ripken or Henderson rookie. Sometimes it's about seeing an Ozzie Smith or Eric Davis card that I so clearly remember from my childhood, even it's only worth a nickel.

If you want to rip your cards early, go ahead and do so. I think we'd all appreciate it if you didn't post your results until the rest of the group catches up, though.

With that, I guess it's time to rip my pack. VintageJeff already pulled the first Will Clark, so I guess it's unlikely that I'll get one, too. Oh well...

AJW.
  • Options
    Hell yeah I'm enjoying it AJW. I'm a young guy so a few of these cards I remember as being some of my first cards I ever had. Now I get to look them over, and decide if I should send some of them in to get graded. It's not about how much they are worth to me, but if I can pull a high grade card I think it's pretty sweet in my book.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    I am sticking to the schedule, I just doubt others are. I find it hard believe that 1980 packs are sitting in the pockets, while we open 89 TOPPS. I am full on going along with the progam. If you guys say stay the coarse (a few weeks away from opening anything worth a damn), I go along. That's what I agreed to. BUT, if someone thinks these packs are worth more then shipping, PAYPAL me, I'll give them away.
  • Options
    Vintage Jeff , based on the scans only, your cards kick ass. I'd take any of yours VS my whole pack. VJ shots, and scores