Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I loved this baseball card game my friend Tim had when we were kids >>

Steve
    First, your Dockman card has fantastic color!

On the card game - these were numerous issues over the years and they were great - heck, you can take the backs of the 78Ts and make a great game out of them, like the 51Ts. They did provide hours of fun that would be hard to convince kids to play with today. Do you remember the name of the card game?

Altho a bit OT but kind of related - I wonder if we were the lucky ones? We had to use our imaginations a lot more?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Steve,

Sweet Dineen Rookie. Curious is Dineen pictured on the Arbour Rookie?

I have a few 54's & 55's I was going to send in under the 50's special but after seeing that blazing Dineen these probably aren't up to snuff. The Dineen is only an 8 ? Looks like a sweet 9 to me.

Opinions wanted: Should I bother submitting these? I've never submitted 55's before. How tough are they one the red corners?

Thanks, Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they flipped the Dineen and Arbour photos. Or the reverses, depending on your perspective. Too bad for Dineen that Parkhurst couldn't have transposed their coaching careers.

Anyway, I think I'd submit all those cards except for the Gardner, which looks like it has a little wrinkle off his left boot. With the $6 special, I think it's worth submitting stuff even in ex or ex-mt. I've never actually submitted '55s, but I think it gets fewer cards awarded 8's on a percentage basis than any other Parkie set. That red area shows everything. Still, I think your cards look to be ex-mt+ on average, with the McNeil being a little worse and the Morenz and Talbot being a little better.

And, Stone, I have no idea what the game was called or if it was even called anything. It was the most nondescript deck of cards I'd ever seen. Plain text listing the positions and outcomes on one side and some kind of blue decorative print - possibly a baseball motif, I can't remember - on the other side. This was the early to mid-80's, but the thing seemed like it was from another era all together. I always wanted a deck for myself, but could never find one. I think my buddy said he won it at a birthday party or something.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Steve,

Thanks for the input. Your opinion is greatly appreciated and highly respected by this novice collector. Great call on the Gardner BTW. It is creased as you mentioned. I think I'll go through the rest of my 55's and see if I can scrape up 20 or so for a good submission.

I wonder if I can sneak the Rocket through as a common. image

Thanks again, Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Nice dog ArchStanton image Awesome Dineen Steve.

Bob - They look like 5's to me as well, nice lot. I'm still looking for a nice low grade Plante RC from that set..
  • Options
    << I'm still looking for a nice low grade Plante RC from that set. >>

Me too Garrett, of course its one of a handful I need for my set.

They come around but are usually way over priced or really beat up.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

just won this on ebay tonight.........1973 Topps Rod Carew PSA 9
  • Options

<< <i>just won this on ebay tonight.........1973 Topps Rod Carew PSA 9 >>

Carew
    Superb card! Looks really clean - when you get it - if you have the time post a bigger scan.

I think ya did real good.
    thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I picked up this Topps half sheet proof that is blank backed which is very different from the "back door" sheets that are two sided. This IMO, is a true proof.

I mainly bought it for the Ryno card and to have framed.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

my most recent pick ups..the jensen cards for my slowlying growing jensen set...the rose and seaver are for my slow growing interest in the stars of the 70's reds....and the MIKSIS...WOW....i thought id never find that card centered for my 57 set...in a 7...and for under 100 (being that centered)...got it BIN for 38!!!! A super deal i think.

Loth
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just one my first PSA 10!

Stingray
  • Options
    Ryan
    Nice Jensen cards! Welcome back...I know you're busy. I'm looking forward to the day when you have a regular job and can post again!

Sting
    Congrats on your first 10! I have never purchased a 10.

Onlypsa
    I'm not a hockey collector but I like the looks of the cards. I'm glad we have some hockey people here or I would be totally clueless instead of just "frozen" dumb.

thanx guys
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    lets keep this thread going..anytime you purchase something post the link of it from ebay in here...i love seeing the new purchases.

ryan

ps- its been tough mike!! was on call 26 days the last 2 months...finally i got a break!
  • Options

Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Mike,

Did you pick that sheet up directly from Topps?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree, I think this is a great thread. I enjoy seeing all the diversity presented.
  • Options
    Jeff,
    Any reason you can see that makes the 1955 Red Man Minoso a 4? It looks as good or better than the 6s in my collections. I'm working on a 1955 Red Man set but I'm stuck at 30 cards right now.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

Did you pick that sheet up directly from Topps?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree, I think this is a great thread. I enjoy seeing all the diversity presented. >>

tkd
    That came from the Topps vault auctions and the Topps logo in the middle of the sheet is from their web, obviously, and not on the sheet. As I said, this is a genuine proof - blank backed.

Jeff
    Superb Minnie's! The 58T is a classic example of a great looking 7! And the 53T looks way better than the grade! Fantastic job of picking up "collector grade" cards that would make anyone proud to have in their hands!

Also, I was going to ask the same question that tkd did on the Red Man - the front is really nice - wrinkle on the back?

thanx for sharing
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    Yeah the redman has some wrinkles on the back top left corner that bring the grade to a 4. The front is easy 8-9 quality. Thanks for the kind words.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    Here are a couple of the nicer cards from my last submission that came in on Saturday. I'm still submitting cards from my childhood collection.

On a side note to go along with the Maris, I see a seller that has 5 Maris, 8 Mantle and 1 DiMaggio PSA/DNA certified autographed cards up for auction. It will be interesting to see where this one goes.

Still waiting to get my T206 cards back from PSA to post. The fun never ends, does it.

Tom
  • Options
    I'm normally quite superstitious about these things, but this is hopefully the last piece of a virtual V145-1 set. I say "virtual" because I'll probably never have the Bert Corbeau card, which was insanely shortprinted by the confectioner that produced the set so that few people would be able to claim a prize for redeeming all 40 cards. And I say "hopefully" because I still have two commons at PSA, plus an SGC 30 Morenz that I'll probably cross over to PSA within the next few weeks. Now that I've mentioned the unmentionable, there'll be some sort of mail mishap with the Morenz.

But anyway, enough rambling:

It's a 4, but I've certainly seen 5's that are virtually indistinguishable, so I'm pretty happy. Besides, it's Georges Vezina. The Chicoutimi Cucumber.
  • Options
    I love it. Keep the vintage stuff coming!
  • Options
  • Options
    A couple of thoroughbred tobacco cards from the 1890 Kinney issue:

• Options
    Ooooow very nice Vezina Steve, it has a very good shot at getting a 5 if you re-submitted. That's the first Vezina I've seen from that set, so nice.
  • Options
    Seraph: My wife loves horses and those thoroughbred tobacco cards of yours are great.. She would like me to collect them rather than Hockey/Baseball image

Lothar: Pretty nice 7 you got there looks to be a lot nicer than the given grade.

- Garret
  • Options
    Steve
    What year issue is the Vezina? So, what's the value on the Corbeau SP? Hope there's more than there is of the Lindstrom card? Nice card BTW.

Ryan
    That's a super looking 7! What % are you at with the set? Didn't know you had any time for pick ups right now!? image

Seraph
    Nice! Giddyup!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I found these two autos while looking for a card.

They're not worth much but I paid very little for them - they were part of the repackaging that Treat corp. did back in the 90's - I think they had a contract with Walmart - nut sure if they still do.

They are definitely real and back then more common than they are now actually.

Ya gotta love this stuff!
    Mike
  • Options
    The set's from '23-24, Stone. I have no idea what a Corbeau would fetch, but I'm sure it would be an insane amount. I don't think I've ever seen one offered anywhere, but there used to be a guy who'd regularly run eBay auctions that weren't really auctions but were basically offers to buy a Corbeau. I think the guy said he'd pay $10G for one.

A PSA 4 Corbeau from the following year's Wm. Patterson set ended last night for close to $200. My bid was about $50 short. I don't collect the V145-2's, but figure that'll be as close as I get to the fabled Bert Corbeau.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Is there a reason why the Corbeau is so hard to find? Pardon my hockey ignorance, but is Corbeau anyone of note, or is it simply the scarcity and not the subject that makes the card so hard to find?
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a reason why the Corbeau is so hard to find? Pardon my hockey ignorance, but is Corbeau anyone of note, or is it simply the scarcity and not the subject that makes the card so hard to find? >>

<< <i>Bert Corbeau card, which was insanely shortprinted by the confectioner that produced the set so that few people would be able to claim a prize for redeeming all 40 cards. >>

ajw
    Steve had posted that the card was shortprinted to decrease the odds of fetching a complete set to redeem a prize. Now, being hockey ignorant myself, I know nothing about the guy.

Some sets not only shortprint a guy to make it harder to complete for redemption but also may have an instant winner card - that will also wind up creating a shortage of copies.

I believe the Ruth card in the 1928 Yuenglings ice cream set was an instant winner for a gallon of ice cream.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Corbeau did play 10 years or so on the league and did lead in penalty minutes at least a couple of seasons, but it's definitely just the scarcity that accounts for the card's value. It was short printed to limit the number of people who could collect a prize for redeeming a full 40-card set. I'm not sure what the prize was - maybe a hockey stick or a package of treats produced by Wm. Patterson. I dunno. But I do know that the company marked redeemed cards with a little leprechaun stamp on the blank backs. A few were on eBay years ago and I think gosoxbosox has a couple in his Hockey Hall of Fame set on the Registry.
  • Options
    Man, I'm a slow typist! Thanks, Stone. Some of these prizes seem so quaint. Even when I was a kid, I think I would've preferred a set of hockey cards or a Bambino to some ice cream or candy. Then again, maybe these things were all over the place 75-80 years ago.
  • Options
    Love those horse racing cards, seraph.

By the way, how about some props for Stone. This thread has been going for almost 2 months and I have to say I can't wait to see what people post. Keeps me coming back for more.

Thanks Mike for starting this thread. A great virtual museum and tribute to real collecting!!!!

Tom
  • Options
    Seraph,
    Are there any 192's 193's Seabiscuit's cards? I would like to find one if there is one.
    Thanks,
    jason
  • Options
    Hooray for Mike. This thread gets 5 / 5 pogos

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Hooray for Mike. This thread gets 5 / 5 pogos

imageimageimageimageimage >>

Mike
  • Options
    Here are my latest two pickups. I just moved and don't have a scanner, so the eBay images will have to do for now. If anyone wants, I'll add better scans after a run to Best Buy to get the scanner.

• Options
    Those are super nice 7s Drew.

When you can get them that nice, why pay for 8s!!!!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Jeff-
    Those Minnies are awesome! I am going to have to go for one of the 53's. I was behind him in line at Petsmart yesterday and I have three bits on him. He drives a Caddy, has cats and wears a Minnie Minosos hat. Whats the deal with him and Ernie Banks? Ernie wears a black hat with gold lettering that says "Mr. Cub" and his signature in gold. At least Minnie was wearing a little league hat(I think??) withn his name stiched in the back.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Those are super nice 7s Drew.

When you can get them that nice, why pay for 8s!!!!

thanx for sharing
    mike >>

Thanks. I'm a big fan of PSA 5s and 7s, as I think you can get a great card for a great price if you're selective. I like the 1958 more than the 1960, though. The 1960 isn't as off center T/B as it looks in the scan (as the card is up against the edge of the holder) but there is a wax stain or something near the right edge. The 1960 All-Star is one of my favorite Mays cards, so I'll probably pick up a blazing PSA 8 someday. For now, though, I'll stick with the 7. I think I'll buy a scanner (and maybe a HDTV, too!) tomorrow, so I should have a nicer scan soon.
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff-
    Those Minnies are awesome! I am going to have to go for one of the 53's. I was behind him in line at Petsmart yesterday and I have three bits on him. He drives a Caddy, has cats and wears a Minnie Minosos hat. Whats the deal with him and Ernie Banks? Ernie wears a black hat with gold lettering that says "Mr. Cub" and his signature in gold. At least Minnie was wearing a little league hat(I think??) withn his name stiched in the back. >>

That is completely awesome. The 53's are sweet. Not quite sure what is up with the hats lol.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    So I bought a scanner today. Here are my first efforts (with Lothar lending some technical advice via AIM)

• Options
    Very nice for a first shot ajw. And nice cards.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Great job ajw!

I like the 58T Mays AS even more now! A really nice 7 - ya did gooood!

thanx for taking the time to rescan and post.
    This stuff is great!
    I never get tired of looking at your stuff!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yeah, the 58 Mays looks great. I always liked this subset
  • Options
    Just got back some T206s that I sent in for grading and thought I would share the cards and a little about the players. All were purchased raw on ebay..............

Davy Jones - PSA 4 Piedmont back 350 subjects -
    imageimage

Davy Jones was the third or fourth outfielder, with Ty Cobb and Sam Crawford, during the Tigers' years of early AL dominance. A speedy leadoff man, he was sure-handed afield and a settling influence on the volatile Cobb and the sometimes surly Crawford. He was one of the few to play in the first year of the American and Federal Leagues. He is a subject in the book "The Glory of Their Times" which has been mentioned in this thread before.

Ed Reulbach - PSA 4 Sweet Caporal back 350 subjects -
    imageimage

Chicago's Ed Reulbach was the only pitcher to throw a doubleheader shutout, allowing just eight hits; the two victories on September 26 were among nine he collected against Brooklyn in 1908. Chicago was locked in a tight pennant race with Pittsburgh and New York, and the Cubs' staff was getting weary. Reulbach's wins helped his club finish first, after a one-game playoff.

Reulbach's eyesight was poor, so his catchers used white-painted gloves. He set a still-standing record of leading the NL in winning percentage three years in a row, 1906 through 1908, with records of 19-4, 17-4, and 24-7. Yet his spectacular career was often overshadowed by his teammate, Three Finger Brown, and crosstown rival Ed Walsh. Reulbach took the limelight with the first one-hitter in the World Series (1906). His 1906 hits-per-inning ratio of 5.33 per nine innings is the third best in history. His career ERA of 2.28 has been bettered by only ten pitchers.

Reulbach has borderline HOF stats for his career.

Bud Sharpe - PSA 3 Polar Bear back - I think this card has a great red background and a very well centered back. This is the correct version of a rare T206 variation (Shappe)

imageimage

Jeff Sweeney - PSA 3 MK Piedmont back 350 subjects - small number written in pencil on the back

imageimage

In 1914 Sweeney stole 19 bases - the most ever by a Yankee catcher. He did the bulk of New York's catching from 1910 through 1914. He reportedly played a role in star first baseman Hal Chase's fall from grace in 1913. Sweeney didn't like the way Chase was mocking manager Frank Chance for the team's amusement. He told Chance, and Chase was suddenly dealt to the White Sox.

All the bios are from baseballlibrary.com with some added noted from me.

I love this vintage stuff

• Options
    Great cards guys! Love them T's and the 58 Mays.

This came yesterday. Before Gretzky there was Bossy and before Bossy there was Espo! image

Poor scan doesn't do the card justice. The colors are really vibrant.

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    tkd
    Really nice cards and I know when someone really enjoys the hobby when they take the time to do the bios!

Reulbach - pitched a doubleheader and TWO SHUT OUTS! Thanx! You made my day!

Bob
    Even a non-Hockey person remembers Phil Esposito! Nice card - wish the scan was clearer - that card looks perfect!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice cards. tkd, I love those 206s. Post your grades when you get them, I'd like to see how they come out.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Bob,

Nice Esposito there. I once had an OPC Dionne rookie from that year a long time ago, not graded of course, he has always been my favorite hockey player. Wonder what a nice PSA 9 Dionne goes for??

Stingray