Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurt
    That Whitey is off the chart! Thanx for sharing that one!

Brum
    As usual some really nice stuff! I like the Casey...don't have a good pic of him auto'ed.

Sting
    Congrats on the Munson and Garvey. Garvey is one of those guys who's like only a few notches away from the hall and maybe two palimonies?

thanx guys
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

Welcome Seraph!

Incredible King Kelly!!!! So we have a horse guy? All right!!! I think you're the first?

I'm always ready to saddle up! Show us some derby stuff? I was in school when they had the last triple crown winner.

thanx for sharing and again, welcome to the jungle!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanx Stone! I witnessed the last Triple Crown winner live. I'll never forget the roar of that crowd! You can see my collection on my webpage I like to call Gallery 19. Also, a link to the Great Duel of 1978. image
  • Options

• Options

Super card!

Are you doing the set? From the 60s, the 67 and 65 are great sets.

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I see the Gibson card and it reminds me that this past winter I was in a restuarant in West Palm it was a long wait for a table and I was standing in line at the bar when this guy behind me stricks up a conversation. We are shooting the sheet and I tell him I live in Jersey and he mentions that he's in town with the Cardinals, I do a double take and realize its Gibson. He's a great guy, he only asked that I didnt tell anyone who he was since he can walk around unrecognizable, he wanted a quiet dinner w/o people hassling him. Very nice guy.
  • Options

<< <i>I see the Gibson card and it reminds me that this past winter I was in a restuarant in West Palm it was a long wait for a table and I was standing in line at the bar when this guy behind me stricks up a conversation. We are shooting the sheet and I tell him I live in Jersey and he mentions that he's in town with the Cardinals, I do a double take and realize its Gibson. He's a great guy, he only asked that I didnt tell anyone who he was since he can walk around unrecognizable, he wanted a quiet dinner w/o people hassling him. Very nice guy. >>

Wasy
    Got one like that - I was stationed in St. Louis and went to the downtown Mercedes dealership with a friend who was dropping his car off. And Gibson pulls up behind us in a classic mercedes with custom tags...we just said hi and didn't bother him. If he didn't look kind of preoccupied, I would have asked him for an auto.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Stone,

Just won the Munson only.

Knuckles,

I am only at just over 5% with this set. Just started collecting at beginning of July.

Stingray
  • Options
    I'm building my Gibson set--been trying to get an 8 of the 1967 for awhile. Saw the 9 and just had to have it. Most I've ever spent!
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭
    Still can't believe nobody was impressed with the PSA 10 I just got on a 1970 Kellogg's Bench.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

<< <i>Still can't believe nobody was impressed with the PSA 10 I just got on a 1970 Kellogg's Bench. >>

small
    Did you post it? I don't recall.

Have you got a scan?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I did before, scan and all!

Not sure how to enlarge it. Got a PSA 10 on a 1970 Kellogg's McLain and Sal Bando as well!

Mike

• Options
    My first 78:

Stingray
  • Options
    Mike
    I'm sorry, that's why "I" missed it - so small - I may have seen it as a sig line photo instead of a post.

I really like Bench items but I plain missed it - very nice! Great pick up!

What kind of scanner do you use?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

My scanner is great and I typically get big scans. I think it must be the way I saved it to the programs I uploaded from. Maybe I should rescan and make it bigger before saving.

Mike

• Options
    And my second:

Stingray
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping for a package from Newport Beach today, but this was a nice consolation prize:

Hopefully I'll have some new goodies to share tomorrow.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    My invoice arrived today. Here's the baseball stuff:

A mere 1, but I the central image still looks nice enough and I like the look of Polar Bear backs.

One of my favorite T206's, plus my first Tolstoi back. Oh yeah, it's a 3.

This one once lived in an SGC 50 holder, but I thought it was nicer. So did PSA, as the Yiddish Curver now calls a 5-EX slab home.

My first T205 6! This one also had been in an SGC holder, with a conservative 70/5.5 grade.

Stay tuned - as I'm sure you all will - for the hockey portion of the invoice...
  • Options
    And four new Hall of Famers for my V145-1 hockey set, which is finally nearing completion - or at least virtual completion since one of the cards, Bert Corbeau, is an insane rarity.

A PSA 3 Frank Nighbor rookie.

This PSA 3 King Clancy rookie was certainly the highlight of the invoice.

I actually already had a Georges Boucher, but this 5 is a slight upgrade from my 4.

Last but not least, a PSA 2 Babe Dye rookie.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    That Street T205 looks awesome. Those gold borders really look sweet.

I just sent a T206 with Polar Bear back off to PSA, lets see what comes back! I agree, I really like the Polar Bear back
  • Options
    Hears one I picked up tonight. I know it's modern. But 1986 topps tens are few and far between. Only two of this one.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    yawie, those William Pattersons are so sweet. image
  • Options
    Check out my 2 newest PSA 10's. image

Mike, would you be so kind as to post these? I'd greatly appreciate it!!

--Josh
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    jmbkb, very pretty cards.
    yawie, nice, and those 205s are amazing! I love the colors on those American League 205s. Thanks for posting.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    It is a common, but I thought it looked nice:

Stingray
  • Options
    Here are a couple of Sport Kings that I picked up in the last couple of weeks. I don't think I've ever seen a cycling post on these boards, but I thought I would share. I think the Sport Kings set is an amazing mix of atheletes and it really seems like an insight into who was popular at the time. Its a set I'd love to collect just to find out more about these forgotten athletes. I remember when Mastro was selling the top rated set. They went through the exercise of trying to name the athletes that would make up a current Sport Kings set. That would be an interesting post.

Anyway, Both Bobby Walthour Sr. and Reggie McNamara are in the U.S. Cycling Hall of Fame, although they don't get the HOF designation in the SMR. I've attached a brief bio from the Cycling Hall of Fame website and links to extended bios. These guys really were Sport Kings in their day.

Bobby Walthour, Sr.
    The "Dixie Flyer" won the US Professional Motorpace Championships in 1902
    and 1903. He competed in Europe in 1904 and won 16 if his first 17 events,
    going on to win the World Championships in London in 1904 and Antwerp in
    1905. Walthour won a total of 14 six-day races and every motorpace
    championship in Europe.

Walthour bio

REGGIE MCNAMARA (born 1887, Crenfell, New South Wales, Australia)
    Reggie McNamara began racing professionally in 1906 in local fairs around
    Sydney, winning his first Sydney 6-day race in 1913. He came to the U.S. and
    became an American citizen when he married Elizabeth McDonough 1913. At the
    Newark Velodrome he set five unpaced World records from 1 Mile to 25 Miles
    between 1915 and 1917. He achieved his fame in the New York Madison Square
    Garden 6-day races, winning seven between 1918 and 1932, competing against
    the best international riders. In Chicago, he won five 6-day races at the
    Chicago Coliseum and won 6-day races in France, Belgium, Switzerland,
    Germany and England. He was called the "Iron Man of Cycling". With 55
    victories in 125 starts, Reggie further proved his durability by taking the
    1932 Madison Square Garden 6-day at the age of 45. He died in 1970 at age

McNamara bio

• Options
    I don't know why, but I've always loved the little silhouettes on the Sport Kings cards that indicate what the pictured athlete does. I'm surprised Topps hasn't come up with a modern-day Sport Kings set as part of its Heritage series.

And I dig the '86 Topps Puckett. I really didn't care for that design when I was a kid, but it's since grown on me. (Conversely, Puck's status has wildly diminished since my youth.) I guess the advent of grading has something to do with that, since I now have a bit of an appreciation of how tough it is to find truly blazing '86 Topps baseball cards.
  • Options
    I'm also a fan of that card design.

Have you seen the somewhat new still ITG Ultimate cards? Their base cards are of the same design.

• Options
    I had a feeling somebody had probably already done it. Shows how out of touch I am with relatively recent releases.
  • Options
    Not a big deal but a 10 from one of my favorite goalies and one of my favorite sets.

Minnie sure had its share of great goalies...Gump, Maniago, Gilbert, Meloche and probably a few others that escape me right now.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Is Gump going on the auction block?

Great card!

Don't forget Donnie Beaupre!
  • Options
    Sorry njmeat, but I just acquired Gump from the auction block (ebay).

He know resides safely in my registry set.

Donnie Beaupre...ah yes...won the job from Meloche around 1980.

Other "Minnie minders" of note...Pete Lopresti, Gary Edwards, Gary Smith, Rollie Melanson, Jon "How big is my 5 hole?" Casey, Kari Takko, Daniel "anyone need a backup" Berthiaume, Brian Hayward and Darcy Wakaluk.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    yawie---

A little late, but I love your Vintage postings, especially the T baseball stuff.

Is there a T206 thread on this board?

Tom
  • Options
    Thanks, Tom. I used to collect almost exclusively hockey, but I've become quite smitten with T and E cards over the last year or so. Unfortunately, the price of them has been steadily increasing during that time. T205's have been fairly stable but T206's just keep climbing while E cards can get nuts. I swear, most of the PSA 3 T206's that closed on eBay last week went for $35-38. You used to be able to find 4's here and there for that price - like way back in March 2005.

By the way, if you ever want to trade T or E cards, I'm always looking to deal - especially if I can acquire St. Louis players I still need. Everything I have is pretty much on the Registry, though I do have a few SGC cards and about 30-35 cards currently at PSA. Can't wait for them to get here!
  • Options
    I have some T206s coming back from PSA as well (see below). I picked these up off ebay over time. I was especially happy with the Jones as I paid only $15.50 for that one on ebay. The Sharpe was $30 with a nicely centered Polar Bear back, so I think that was a good deal as well. I think bargains are there in raw cards if you look hard and take a chance. I also just purchased some raw cards, 3 with Sovereign backs and 1 with an El Principe De Gales back that will go to PSA. I'll post scans when they arrive.

I've also been picking up T202s when available as well. That is a set I would love to do (along with Sport Kings), but one day at a time.

1 31223671 1911 DAVY JONES DETROIT 4
    2 31223672 1911 ED REULBACH NO GLOVE SHOWING 4
    3 31223673 1911 BUD SHARPE N/A 3
    4 31223674 1911 JEFF SWEENEY NEW YORK 3MK

Date Received: 08/15/2005
    Date of Grades Posted: 08/30/2005

I'm a New York fan, so I try to keep an eye out for cards of players from New York/Brooklyn/Newark/Jersey City, but at this point I'm not picky. Never even thought about starting a PSA registry. Anyway, maybe we can work a deal some day. For now, keep those posts coming and I will do the same.

• Options
    There's definitely some good deals on raw cards out there. Most of the stuff I end up submitting comes back 2-4, but occasionally I'll land a 5 (like on an E92 Bill Bergen for which I paid $37, as well as on a couple of T205's I bought for under $30) and even got a 6 on a T206 common that cost me about $35.

Anyway, I'll definitely post my results when they come and look forward to seeing yours. Perhaps we'll be able to deal sometime down the road. And speaking of that, an old coworker of mine who used to collect in the '70s and early '80s has a ton of T202's that would be in great shape excpet for most of them have a small stain on back from where they were affixed to a scrapbook or something. I periodically talk about buying them from him or submitting them for him, but so far these discussions have gone nowhere. He's also got a lot of T206's, but most are beaters, and some nice T205's, some of which unfortunately were trimmed so that they'd better fit into plastic sheets. Guess that was probably a common thing to do back then.
  • Options
    Hi guys
    I've just been looking at some of the stuff presented - it's incredible. Thanx Yawie for taking the time to post some nice vintage stuff!

This is for the FB crowd - it's the original Topps art and a scan of the actual back of the team card that was sent to me by Vargha - yes, rumors to the contrary, he is a real person and does exist in a parallel universe!

It's a 3D picture and if you look close, you can see the second image in blue.

thanx for viewing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    That is so awesome, Stone! I hope you have the red paper decoder that allows you to see the answer. This collection of card and artwork would not truly be complete without it.
  • Options
    Cool card Mike. Outstanding Gumper Bob. image
  • Options
    I agree, it is a great Worsley. Have to admit, I'm used to seeing him in a Rangers sweater.
  • Options

<< <i>he is a real person and does exist in a parallel universe! >>

I hear that if you place red paper over certain posts on this forum, you can see his messages.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>he is a real person and does exist in a parallel universe! >>

I hear that if you place red paper over certain posts on this forum, you can see his messages. >>

Mike
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Just picked up this card of a hometown hero. Strangely, this is the only card I've seen that has the correct home town.

edited to note the dog hair on the upper left corner of the card - not your monitor

Culprit
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Arch
    Nice card of a favorite pitcher of mine! Have you ever read the Bronx Zoo?

Brum
    Of course, as usual, nice autos! Are they recent purchases?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Here are a couple of nice cards I received back from a recent submission:

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • Options
    I picked this up last week - cost 20$. It's a simple game, no moving parts, other than a spinner to determine what happens to the batter.

It was the perfect game, back then, for about an 8 yr. older to share with his buddie on a rainy summer day with little else to do.

It was made by Saalfied Artcraft in the 1950s.

This is obviously just part of the cover - the corners are broken/frayed and would grade in fair condition.

Anyone up for baseball?

I played a lot of simple games like these when I was young...anyone else?

thanx for viewing

mike

Mike
  • Options
    Man, I love this thread! This arrived the other day:

And I picked this up from the post office this morning:

I suppose I'm somewhat guilty of being a label whore with my '53 Parkie set because I would like to get it to 8.0 one of these days. But this card, which actually pictures Al Arbour, who is probably best known for coaching the Islanders to four straight Stanley Cups, really does just blow away my old 7, which had print problems out the wazoo.
  • Options
    And I forgot to say, Stone, how much I loved this baseball card game my friend Tim had when we were kids. Basically it was just a deck of cards that listed each position along with a result of an at bat for each position. Strategically, I guess it was slightly more sophisticated than the Feller game (which seems like a great way to have spent $20!, by the way) in that the result of each at bat was somewhat dependent on the position of the batter, but it was the plainest thing on earth. No pictures or nuttin'. I can't imagine it being very appealing to today's Ritalin-addled youth, but Tim and I used to play it for hours. Creating scorecards, keeping stats. Everything. True baseball nerds!
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Arch
    Nice card of a favorite pitcher of mine! Have you ever read the Bronx Zoo?

I just reread it last month. That's what got the bug into me to pick up some of his cards. Any time Sparky was back in town to visit his parents he was friendly and approachable.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection